Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Apparently fume is super weak to thrust weapons, guess I should have used a rapier

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
He's also in counterable state a lot since he has long animations for some of his big swings and other attacks, so that counter bonus works out pretty nicely.

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax

actionjackson posted:

Apparently fume is super weak to thrust weapons, guess I should have used a rapier

espada ropera with lightning is very powerful against the man

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Nahxela posted:

He's also in counterable state a lot since he has long animations for some of his big swings and other attacks, so that counter bonus works out pretty nicely.

I fought him with a +10 Lightning Heide Spear w/ Leo Ring and Sunlight Blade operating off 40 DEX and 50 FTH. A 2h R2 Counter attack did a whopping 530 damage for me :eng99:

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

Oh wow the Sanctum Shield can cast every single hex, miracle and sorcery. Not the worst shield I've ever seen, either. There are obviously more optimal options for pure spellcasters, but I think my plethora of hybrid builds are gonna be bee-lining for this.

Has anyone gotten much play with the new sorcery-casting spear? Those Cs for scaling make me worry that it's gonna suck a lot.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

aegof posted:

Oh wow the Sanctum Shield can cast every single hex, miracle and sorcery. Not the worst shield I've ever seen, either. There are obviously more optimal options for pure spellcasters, but I think my plethora of hybrid builds are gonna be bee-lining for this.
If you want to be a jerk, use it with the +5 stability ring, cast strong magic shield, and use its 2H R1 attack to be a jerk, especially in pvp.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

Anyone else having trouble using the Alonne's sword in PvP? I keep getting backstabbed because it seems to have 0 tracking whatsoever unlike every other katana. I guess it has more like a halberd moveset. Maybe I just need to get good and stop relying on the godlike tracking the other katanas have.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

aegof posted:

The one downside is it can not parry, but yeah the resistances are up there with other good small shields. If all you're using it for is buffs it's a great shield.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."

Minorkos posted:

Anyone else having trouble using the Alonne's sword in PvP? I keep getting backstabbed because it seems to have 0 tracking whatsoever unlike every other katana. I guess it has more like a halberd moveset. Maybe I just need to get good and stop relying on the godlike tracking the other katanas have.

Haven't tried it but it's huge so it might have manual tracking. Worth a try for sure.

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore
What are some good poise breakpoints to shoot for? I'm running a Flynn's ring build, so I can't just level my Vit into the stratosphere. I can wear havel pants and gloves and still be barely under 70% burden, but I'm wondering if that's necessary, because I'd prefer to get a lower stamina burden.

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"
So nobody's actually beaten Fume Knight and we're just going to agree to not call each other on our lies, right?

Because I've beaten him. I've beaten him over and over and I'm going to do it again right now.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."
I can't wait to get to im on a build that uses a weapon other than its fist. Honestly, biggest problem I've had with him was due to my build (Dual Cestus) having very limited range and a very directional attack. Not so much a problem in the first phase when you have more time between attacks to aim to get in a few hits. But in the second one it was only really reliable to do it after his gently caress-off flame sweep or when his AoE whiffed. Otherwise the chance of him possibly doing a quick move made it not worth it because your fist would most certainly go between his legs and not far up enough to actually matter.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Tokyo Sex Whale posted:

So nobody's actually beaten Fume Knight and we're just going to agree to not call each other on our lies, right?

Because I've beaten him. I've beaten him over and over and I'm going to do it again right now.

Honestly, i recommend phantoming him a few times if you are having difficulty. You'll get better at timing his swings with repetition. Be aggressive and try to stay right behing his right shoulder (or if he gets in front of you, his left knee) and take one swing (maybe two if he really overextended) at a time. DO NOT GET GREEDY, whether you are attacking or healing. Don't start rolling until he is actually swinging a sword towards you, and always roll towards/through him. If you take a friend in with you, wait until he breaks lock on you and focuses on your friend BEFORE HEALING. When he casts his AOE fire ground attack, back several lengths away from him, then roll through the fire bursts. Also, watch out for getting caught in the corners; he will get combo happy and stun lock you to death.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
I think it's most accurate to say that the Bewitched Alonne Sword is kind of like a fast halberd with some katana moves attached to it. It has very similar swings to the swinging halberd weapons.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Mighty Dicktron posted:

I think it's most accurate to say that the Bewitched Alonne Sword is kind of like a fast halberd with some katana moves attached to it. It has very similar swings to the swinging halberd weapons.

I'd say it's more similar to a greatsword and reaper.

IGgy IGsen posted:

I can't wait to get to im on a build that uses a weapon other than its fist. Honestly, biggest problem I've had with him was due to my build (Dual Cestus) having very limited range and a very directional attack. Not so much a problem in the first phase when you have more time between attacks to aim to get in a few hits. But in the second one it was only really reliable to do it after his gently caress-off flame sweep or when his AoE whiffed. Otherwise the chance of him possibly doing a quick move made it not worth it because your fist would most certainly go between his legs and not far up enough to actually matter.

I had no trouble hitting him with my Vanquisher's seal guy.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

How good is Syan's Halberd? Just got it on a drop.

The blue smelter thing is kind of annoying, mainly running to it. It's easier to do the fire gates as you can avoid those fuckers that slow you. Is his attack when he's sword becomes blue considered fire damage?

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

actionjackson posted:

How good is Syan's Halberd? Just got it on a drop.

The blue smelter thing is kind of annoying, mainly running to it. It's easier to do the fire gates as you can avoid those fuckers that slow you. Is his attack when he's sword becomes blue considered fire damage?

It's very good. It has a poke then a slash, making it much easier and safer to use. Plus it has different (and imo better) 2handed r2s.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

actionjackson posted:

I'm reasonably sure it's magic damage; a Magic Watchdragon Parma can nearly completely negate the damage from a swing. I never made it through the first gate, but just running and rolling seems fine for the main route if you're not weighed down enough that the slow spell puts you over 100% burden.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

The trick on the gates is to walk, not run

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

I've been having lots of fun poisoning folks in PVP with the Black Scorpion Stinger. I've got on the Rat ring and Sanctum soldier gloves for additional poisony goodness. I may want to try power-stancing a pair of Stingers, so here's my qurstion: if I escetic the Doors of Pharros bonfire, will the mimic that drops the Stinger respawn?

I'm really enjoying the new DLC btw. Haven't hit a boss yet, but I'm sure it won't be long.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

The Zombie Guy posted:

I've been having lots of fun poisoning folks in PVP with the Black Scorpion Stinger. I've got on the Rat ring and Sanctum soldier gloves for additional poisony goodness. I may want to try power-stancing a pair of Stingers, so here's my qurstion: if I escetic the Doors of Pharros bonfire, will the mimic that drops the Stinger respawn?

I'm really enjoying the new DLC btw. Haven't hit a boss yet, but I'm sure it won't be long.

Yes

2MB
Feb 3, 2009

"No need to speak. Your fists told me everything I need to know about you."
What has been everyone else's experience with Iron Passage from the DLC? I'm on NG+3 and its just not even close to being fun. Every room feels designed to be as asininely difficult as possible. I've tried running past all the mobs to Smelter Demon: Part Blue but those priests that cast the room wide slow spell just gently caress it all up. You can't really snipe them because they heal, chuck bolts, and generally run around like a screen watcher and killing the rest of the room devolves into an incredibly boring game of spending 10-15 minutes shooting arrows because you're also dodging the multiple archers that nail you for 60%. Most of the safe spots are too small to actually be safe, and the upper route involves praying you summoned a phantom smart enough to block the fireballs for you.

It just doesn't feel difficult in that unique Dark Souls way where you can see yourself learning a mob's patterns and getting better. Instead it feels like they crammed as many annoying enemies as possible into a room and force you to "fight" them from a distance where they can't touch you. And it's all just to get to a lazy rehash of one of the more annoying bosses that just hits even harder now.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

I took the upper path without much issue. Didn't have much issue rolling through the fireballs. Poison arrows on the astrologists and big guys in the last room. I only had to make the run three times so I never tried just running past them all in the last room.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
Even if the Astrologists cast Promised Walk of Peace, you can still fat roll through enemy attacks and make it through. Unless you're stalling or something, you should be able to run through most of an area before the Astrologists finish casting the spell, and you cat still fat roll through the axe guys' attacks before getting to the end. Just keep aware of the bow dude in each zone and juke accordingly, or make use of the geometry as best as you can (or fat roll). I've done the run plenty of times without taking damage or taking maybe one or two hits, so it's plenty possible.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

2MB posted:

What has been everyone else's experience with Iron Passage from the DLC? I'm on NG+3 and its just not even close to being fun. Every room feels designed to be as asininely difficult as possible. I've tried running past all the mobs to Smelter Demon: Part Blue but those priests that cast the room wide slow spell just gently caress it all up. You can't really snipe them because they heal, chuck bolts, and generally run around like a screen watcher and killing the rest of the room devolves into an incredibly boring game of spending 10-15 minutes shooting arrows because you're also dodging the multiple archers that nail you for 60%. Most of the safe spots are too small to actually be safe, and the upper route involves praying you summoned a phantom smart enough to block the fireballs for you.

It just doesn't feel difficult in that unique Dark Souls way where you can see yourself learning a mob's patterns and getting better. Instead it feels like they crammed as many annoying enemies as possible into a room and force you to "fight" them from a distance where they can't touch you. And it's all just to get to a lazy rehash of one of the more annoying bosses that just hits even harder now.

If you can't run it, use the levers and try running past the fire ball lizard. You can then use ranged to kill all of the annoying things pretty easily. You can actually use the lever way to run too and you won't get slowed except by the very first wizard but it's a in room with just him so you can just kill him before moving on to the second lever.

The whole area is annoying and the loot there is poo poo. I've done it on NG+4 and NG. For NG+4 I ended up killing Smelly with my lightning infused smith hammer because nothing else was working for me but on NG I managed with a red rust twinblade. Don't summon anything as it just makes it last longer. If you do insist on summoning just do one at most.

Boosh!
Apr 12, 2002
Oven Wrangler
I'm in love with Sir Alonne's Bewitched Katana.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
Any tips? I am a SL 152 wanting to respec from magic to heavy STR. I wanna use stuff like ultra great swords and hammers and stuff. I upgraded thr dragon great sword all the way and it seems to be performing subpar. Also when should I stop putting points into strength? Basically what are good strength weapons that will let me delete the enemy in one hit. Also what's the infusion strategy on strength stuff? Anyway thanks.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Sharzak posted:

I upgraded thr dragon great sword all the way and it seems to be performing subpar.
Black Dragon Greatsword or Curved Dragon Greatsword?

quote:

Also when should I stop putting points into strength?
There are three points you could stop: enough to wield the weapon, enough to power stance your weapons, or 40 if you're planning on using weapons with good strength scaling.

quote:

Also what's the infusion strategy on strength stuff?
Don't infuse weapons with good scaling. Do infuse weapons with little or no scaling. Don't infuse weapons with innate elemental damage with a different element.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
So I really like playing as a Sunlight Warrior in DaSI on PS3, but the population, while present, is a little bit sparse, so it's getting kinda hard to get summoned. Does DaSII have any co-op covenant that's as much fun as a Sunlight Warrior?

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

VJeff posted:

So I really like playing as a Sunlight Warrior in DaSI on PS3, but the population, while present, is a little bit sparse, so it's getting kinda hard to get summoned. Does DaSII have any co-op covenant that's as much fun as a Sunlight Warrior?

They copy pasted it into 2 so yes. It's just called Heirs of the Sun now.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

Sharzak posted:

Any tips? I am a SL 152 wanting to respec from magic to heavy STR. I wanna use stuff like ultra great swords and hammers and stuff. I upgraded thr dragon great sword all the way and it seems to be performing subpar. Also when should I stop putting points into strength? Basically what are good strength weapons that will let me delete the enemy in one hit. Also what's the infusion strategy on strength stuff? Anyway thanks.

The Dragon Greatsword (assuming you mean the black dragon ones) don't scale at all, so typically you make them Raw just to pump out some more damage (or Mundane but that's another story)

Judas Iscaredycat
Mar 14, 2013

2MB posted:

I actually found that slowly genociding the enemies was the least tedious way to deal with that area. I really hope that the challenge area in the third DLC is more like the first DLC's area.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene

Thumbtacks posted:

The Dragon Greatsword (assuming you mean the black dragon ones) don't scale at all, so typically you make them Raw just to pump out some more damage (or Mundane but that's another story)

I actually think I meant the drake keeper ultra great sword. My magic infused red iron twinblade was hitting harder and faster on my 50 int build.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Hey! I'm holding a not-quite-contest and giving away the winner's choice of DLC packs over on my hatemail blog, Dark Souls Haters. All you have to do is send a question/comment/story/whatever into the blog, and I'll read it on the upcoming episode of everyone's favorite goon-run Dark Souls podcast, Bonfireside Chat. We'll pick a winner in a very subjective fashion, and I'll figure out how to gift that person whatever DLC pack they want. Deadline is 8pm CST tonight. Details at this link.

(because I've been asked a couple of times, yes this includes the upcoming DLC. I'll stay in touch and figure it out when it's available, I promise)

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
gently caress me sideways, this Iron King DLC is hard as balls.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

BottledBodhisvata posted:

gently caress me sideways, this Iron King DLC is hard as balls.

It's worth it once you get that sweet, sweet minotaur helm. That things owns. What's your get-up like?

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Is the dark passage supposed to be that area where you can get cursed really easily? Because That poo poo is not fun at NG+4. I'm thinking about making another character entirely and leaving him at ng or ng+1

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

Fargin Icehole posted:

Is the dark passage supposed to be that area where you can get cursed really easily? Because That poo poo is not fun at NG+4. I'm thinking about making another character entirely and leaving him at ng or ng+1

Yes. Grab a Cursebite ring and some effigies, or find the hollow mask in the dlc, since it makes you immune to curse.

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer

aegof posted:

Yes. Grab a Cursebite ring and some effigies, or find the hollow mask in the dlc, since it makes you immune to curse.

Alternative approach: wear the ring of binding. Once you hit the hollowfication threshold with that you stop losing health.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

aegof posted:

It's like a loving adventure or something! I have all these items (except the hollow mask) and I didn't even consider using them. Probably because I was more concerned about having to fight two of those assholes at once.

• Locked thread