Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."
Yeah, in the first game almost every character had an arc of sorts. Though, most of them would just go hollow they were still more interesting as characters. In Dark Souls II it's all about the process of going hollow but no one ever actually loses it they just talk about it. Dark Souls II basically only really has the Pate vs. Creighton feud going for it. I also kind of like Navlaan, but other than that most of them are just there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
Look at the thread name then look down.

GAVLAN DEAL

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken
Part of me really wishes they kept the darkness everywhere. It would've made the game a ton harder, but upped the fright and memorable level greatly.

I'm in the camp of "levels more like DS1 would've been great". I love the interlocking design, the shortcuts, the lack of direction where to go. Spaces in DS2 are mostly linear and push you along. The level design in all of the DLC's felt MUCH better and it was great to see that return to form. Difficulty level felt right too, although I'll admit a boss or two were pretty hard. (I do feel like the Barren Waste area was poor, even though I like the idea behind it. Boss stinks too.)

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Mighty Dicktron posted:

Look at the thread name then look down.

GAVLAN DEAL

This reminds me, what the gently caress is the point of the Gyrm anyway? Living in what is apparently supposed to be a gigantic flooded trap-ridden cave city right next door to Tseldora there's a bunch of exiled dwarves who love wheeling and dealing, living together with the giant monster knights created by Vendrick and a bunch of the Rat King's minions. Uh, okay? Who are these guys, why are they here, and why am I here? Are they undead? human? nameless and immortal shadow dwarves? You tell me.

fruition
Feb 1, 2014
Consensus on sending thank you messages to players who helped me beat bosses?
Creepy/gay or cool/polite?

Makes me feel warm and tingly when I coop I love it

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

It's always nice to get a thanks, but I never expect it.

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

I'm just a memory, I can't give you any new information.

The only messages I ever get from co-op are the occasional sorry message when someone impales my head with a ballista arrow fighting the pursuer.

But drat if you don't get shitloads screaming at you for using Dark Hail in the belltower at 150k soul memory. People just can't loving dodge.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I've sent a message a few times and the person who helped me almost always responded back, I've gotten a couple of PSN friends that way. Conversely, I've gotten some thank you messages after helping other people and it was always nice to get :)

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
I usually send a thanks or whatever, despite popular belief most people who just play the game are super nice.

Octo1
May 7, 2009
Hey! Hey everyone! It turns out you can't take phantoms from the Servants' Quarters bonfire into the Belfry Luna!

So, you know, you can stop trying now :mad:

mirarant
Dec 18, 2012

Post or die
DS 2 is clearly poo poo because there is no Look Skyward.

Glukeose
Jun 6, 2014

Octo1 posted:

Hey! Hey everyone! It turns out you can't take phantoms from the Servants' Quarters bonfire into the Belfry Luna!

So, you know, you can stop trying now :mad:

Yeah you need to drop your sign inside the wooden door to Belfry Luna. I recommend having a buddy with you that has the Name Engraved Ring equipped, and then holding out against the onslaught of Bell Guardians until their summon sign shows up.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Glukeose posted:

Yeah you need to drop your sign inside the wooden door to Belfry Luna. I recommend having a buddy with you that has the Name Engraved Ring equipped, and then holding out against the onslaught of Bell Guardians until their summon sign shows up.

I think he's just complaining about people summoning him who don't know that. Also you can drop the sign on the bridge itself.

Glukeose
Jun 6, 2014

argondamn posted:

I think he's just complaining about people summoning him who don't know that. Also you can drop the sign on the bridge itself.

Rereading it I now understand, my bad. Also as far as I'm aware, putting your sign on the bridge creates a fog barrier at the door to the Belfry.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Glukeose posted:

Rereading it I now understand, my bad. Also as far as I'm aware, putting your sign on the bridge creates a fog barrier at the door to the Belfry.

Unless they changed it in the last patch, the barrier is at the doorway before the bridge coming from the Bastille side. I've killed hosts on that bridge, and I've been summoned on that bridge, many times.

npe
Oct 15, 2004
You can put your sign on the bridge and then run back into the Bastille to wait to be summoned just fine (unless you get fogged due to being invaded right away, which is not uncommon). This is the recommended way to pair up via the name engraved ring, really .

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

EC posted:

I usually send a thanks or whatever, despite popular belief most people who just play the game are super nice.

Despite doing silly gimmick PVP poo poo in both games at times, I've literally never received hate mail. I get a lot of "thank you" messages and stuff when I Sunbro, and then sometimes I get "good fight" messages or people asking me what weapon I was using or referencing something that happened in the fight in PVP, but never weird angry poo poo.

Given how much time I've spent playing both games on XBL, it's kind of impressive and heartening.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Zombies' Downfall posted:

Despite doing silly gimmick PVP poo poo in both games at times, I've literally never received hate mail. I get a lot of "thank you" messages and stuff when I Sunbro, and then sometimes I get "good fight" messages or people asking me what weapon I was using or referencing something that happened in the fight in PVP, but never weird angry poo poo.

Given how much time I've spent playing both games on XBL, it's kind of impressive and heartening.

I started getting hatemail when I started doing caster invasions in the Forest. My first hatemail in DS2 was in the BoB covenant, and then later as a BellBro. I think most people don't care bout casual PVP, but the first time you tread on their weird, made up rules about the "serious" PVP stuff, you'll be called bad names.

EC fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Oct 26, 2014

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

EC posted:

I started getting hatemail when I started doing caster invasions in the Forest. My first hatemail in DS2 was in the BoB covenant, and then later as a BellBro. I think most people don't care bout casual PVP, but the first time you tread on their weird, made up rules about the "serious" PVP stuff, you'll be called bad names.

Bring heals and stall until a second grey phantom pops in Bellbros and you'll get hatemail pretty quickly. People getting invaded have no qualms about running and healing, summoning help, etc. But the second you stall out and heal yourself and let another phantom join you or plink at them with a bow from a distance people go absolutely apeshit and it's hilarious. Bonus points for healing yourself AND your grey phantom buddy.

Also people never fail to curse me out when I kill them with the dragonslayer bow on my sorcerer. Getting a headshot and staggering someone as a grey phantom will make them flip poo poo every time.

Alternately pack warmth on a strength character and 2 hand a giant fuckoff UGS. People will sit there and wait out 5 casts of warmth and then yell at you for wasting their time.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

That sort of stuff breaks peoples idea that they're the hero of the story. Its OK for them to do all that stuff cause they're the player and they're supposed to win. You doing that is cheating and cheap. Its really super dumb but lots of people see invading phantoms as monsters or NPCs instead of humans.

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

That sort of stuff breaks peoples idea that they're the hero of the story. Its OK for them to do all that stuff cause they're the player and they're supposed to win. You doing that is cheating and cheap. Its really super dumb but lots of people see invading phantoms as monsters or NPCs instead of humans.

To be fair, when I was a noob I thought all the scripted invasions were actual human invaders and ran like a bitch every time until they glitched off a cliff, desummoned by timing out, or more typically just murdered me.

Was about to send Merciless Roenna a strongly-worded message for invading me over and over near Skeleton Lords before I wised up.

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

See, I would just be happy if I could just catch up to all the goddamn tryhards. I want to stab the person who came up with Soul Memory because I want to go max out and try out every weapon I come across and I don't have the perfect build with the perfect weapons pared down to the lowest possible SM you can achieve those things at.

So my character at 2.2 million soul memory is about 50 levels lower than the people who are actively doing PVP so I've got people with the Fume Knight UGS in one hand and the Staff of Wisdom in the other throwing crystal soul spears and homing soul arrows and poo poo and I'm just running around with my piddly claymore, berserker blade, and mastadon halberd and getting loving destroyed because I haven't gotten far enough in the game to see the weapons they're using to guess what's about to get thrown at me.

But if I were playing against people who were 150 SL like I am I would just be that random melee character who changes weapon loadouts every game and you never know if you're going to be facing something fast or something huge and smashy. I'd still probably be dealing with twinky people here and there but I'd also be dealing with people like me who were just at a functional level where they don't need to pump any more into stats for a while and could just blow souls on every new weapon that drops.

I'm hitting that point where the game is not fun anymore. I can't play this how I want to and still get to participate in PVP. There is no "at my own pace" because my pace locks me out of the part of the game which I actually enjoy the most (when it's good) and blazing through content to hit some arbitrary SL/SM/Weapon loadout combination which will allow me to play with other people for a little while is not at all fun because I inevitably gently caress it up, lose a ton of souls a few times to the point that the character is worthless anyway, and delete 5-10 hours of my time to try to start over.

TheSpiritFox fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Oct 27, 2014

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Man, this loving graverobber trio fight in the Sunken King is really loving me up. It's a shame the only summons I see are the npc's. This seems like a fight that would be really fun with other people. Do people just not co op at the Sunken King areas or is SL 100 SM 1,000,000 over/underlevelled for the area?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Sergeant_Crunch posted:

Man, this loving graverobber trio fight in the Sunken King is really loving me up. It's a shame the only summons I see are the npc's. This seems like a fight that would be really fun with other people. Do people just not co op at the Sunken King areas or is SL 100 SM 1,000,000 over/underlevelled for the area?

its just kind of a pointless fight with a lot of annoying enemies in front of it and if the host die from not knowing the way to speed past them all then you wasted your time.

in the actual fight, just run to the back and poison the archer, jump down below and run around until he dies or needs poisoning again, then do that to the not-havel guy, then kill the havel guy.

its not that bad if you don't play fair.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
By pointless do you mean that it's an optional fight?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Sergeant_Crunch posted:

By pointless do you mean that it's an optional fight?

i mean its pointless for phantoms to bro there because of the length of the section and how easy it is for your host to get ganked, though i also think the reward could be nicer for hosts too.

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

I think the main reasons I like DS1 over DS2 are the Soul Memory thing and not having an infinite invading Orb. I think the solution to avoid over-powered ganking of new players would be to group everybody based on how your souls are spent. That way, whoever you PVP against will have spent a roughly equal amount on levels and gear. It wouldn't be a perfect balance obviously, but it would be easy to stop at any point you wanted, and maintain a specific PVP range.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

The Zombie Guy posted:

I think the main reasons I like DS1 over DS2 are the Soul Memory thing and not having an infinite invading Orb. I think the solution to avoid over-powered ganking of new players would be to group everybody based on how your souls are spent. That way, whoever you PVP against will have spent a roughly equal amount on levels and gear. It wouldn't be a perfect balance obviously, but it would be easy to stop at any point you wanted, and maintain a specific PVP range.

make is so invaders can't change their loadout and assign a value to their stats and gear for matchmaking

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Is the coop just dead all around in Sunken King or is there some action at the later areas? I just realized I haven't seen a single player summon sign for the entire time I've played.

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

The Zombie Guy posted:

The best way would be to do it by SL and progress kinda like NG not being able to interact with NG+

Have breakpoints where if you've low SLed your way past a certain boss or other in-game checkpoint that newbie player hasn't, you can't invade them. So like if someone manages to blaze their way to the dull ember staying at SL 42 or something powerstancing upgraded Heides Knight Sword and Fire Longsword they can't then go back and invade newbies working their way through HT and FoFG and murdering everything in sight and dying and recovering and such.

Of course, having an actual logical progression through the content instead of making it so you can access multiple paths would help that. I don't see being able to go into Grave of Saints early or skipping FoFG and just going Heides->Huntsmans as a valuable and needed gameplay path. In a game that has a huge focus on multiplayer the way this game specifically does a forced linear progression is an asset because there is a place you are logically supposed to be at any given character level/equipment loadout.

Dark Souls doesn't need a story, per se, but it does need more focus on a solid and sensical PVE experience that leads you directly into PVP at established intervals. Sacrificing that "freedom" for the sake of providing a more cohesive multiplayer experience would be a benefit to the series, not a loss.

Sergeant_Crunch posted:

Is the coop just dead all around in Sunken King or is there some action at the later areas? I just realized I haven't seen a single player summon sign for the entire time I've played.

It's really loving random because soul memory means that people trying the DLCs after initial release when everyone poured into them is spotty and takes place at random rear end times. Some people hold off until the game is over, some people hit them as soon as they can access them. Also, if my experience farming petrified dragonbones and twinkling titanite in Dragon Sanctum is any indicator people really do not like the DLCs much and don't go hang out there to drop summons signs, but if you drop your own summon sign you'll get tapped pretty drat fast if theres anyone in the area at that time at all. They really hosed up making the DLC enemies tougher by just increasing poise and elemental resistance to the point that you'll die if you do what you normally do with other enemies. Meatgrinders are not fun.

I mean, sure, I get that they wanted something harder than the main game to challenge people with, but there's kind of a breakpoint where you're just making individual enemies harder because the only tactic that works is "wait until they attack then backstab endlessly and hit while they get up"

TheSpiritFox fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Oct 27, 2014

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

TheSpiritFox posted:

See, I would just be happy if I could just catch up to all the goddamn tryhards. I want to stab the person who came up with Soul Memory because I want to go max out and try out every weapon I come across and I don't have the perfect build with the perfect weapons pared down to the lowest possible SM you can achieve those things at.

So my character at 2.2 million soul memory is about 50 levels lower than the people who are actively doing PVP so I've got people with the Fume Knight UGS in one hand and the Staff of Wisdom in the other throwing crystal soul spears and homing soul arrows and poo poo and I'm just running around with my piddly claymore, berserker blade, and mastadon halberd and getting loving destroyed because I haven't gotten far enough in the game to see the weapons they're using to guess what's about to get thrown at me.

But if I were playing against people who were 150 SL like I am I would just be that random melee character who changes weapon loadouts every game and you never know if you're going to be facing something fast or something huge and smashy. I'd still probably be dealing with twinky people here and there but I'd also be dealing with people like me who were just at a functional level where they don't need to pump any more into stats for a while and could just blow souls on every new weapon that drops.

I'm hitting that point where the game is not fun anymore. I can't play this how I want to and still get to participate in PVP. There is no "at my own pace" because my pace locks me out of the part of the game which I actually enjoy the most (when it's good) and blazing through content to hit some arbitrary SL/SM/Weapon loadout combination which will allow me to play with other people for a little while is not at all fun because I inevitably gently caress it up, lose a ton of souls a few times to the point that the character is worthless anyway, and delete 5-10 hours of my time to try to start over.

Here's a SL150 build I threw together that can wield the Fume UGS one-handed, using the Staff of Wisdom, while throwing around Crystal Soul Spears and Homing Soul Arrows.

It's a pretty mediocre build that would crumple to some light pressure, but it's possible. At SL166 (which is roughly the max level you could invade someone at SL150 with DaS1's matchmaking), that would be a very strong build, since you would be able to easily account for any of the build's weaknesses - for example, with an extra 16 levels you could replace Flynn's Ring with the RoB+2, increase Vit to 20, and increase Vig slightly. Or maybe you could get a bunch more spell slots, since you'd be able to effectively double your attunement.

There are a lot of problems with Soul Memory, and I'm all in favor of swapping it out for something better, but you're overreacting. I run around at SL154 with more than double your SM in NG and encounter basically no problems. The real issue doesn't rear its ugly head until you get to 12mil SM in NG+ and start fighting max level Havels.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Sunken King is really getting tedious. It seems like every enemy is just a high poise, tanky enemy that you have to circlestrafe and backstab to kill. The only boss I've faced was 3 high poise, tanky enemies at once except with more health than usual. The Sanctum city is a pretty dull locale as well. I wish I could have fun with this, but it's just not clicking.

tweet my meat fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Oct 27, 2014

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken
Huh, I think most people don't find that boss until last. There are other bosses and they are more fun than the trio.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

TheSpiritFox posted:

On a similar subject: how bad of an idea is it to even try to do PvP at a high SM? Like, at what point is it just going to stop having any variety at all?

My current character is still in NG but thanks to doing some DLC and a lot of loving around I'm SL 140 and pretty high SM, too. I'm considering joining the Dragon Remnants and doing some duels at the Iron Keep bridge but I wonder how quickly I'll just Soul Memory out of a fun PvP range.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
I bought this game when it first came out, but just wasn't in the mood for a Souls game at the time. Now I am. I usually like to go into these games with a build/plan in mind, otherwise I stress out that I'm allocating skills wrong or missing things. I'm hoping to get some suggestions. Since I'm coming late to the party I have no real interest in PvP, and will probably just play the game with PvE in mind only.

With that said what are some builds you've guys have found really fun for PvE? In DeS and DS1 I always just played a Two-Hander in Full Plate Mail type of build, but I'm really open to anything that people have found fun to play.

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

Megasabin posted:

I bought this game when it first came out, but just wasn't in the mood for a Souls game at the time. Now I am. I usually like to go into these games with a build/plan in mind, otherwise I stress out that I'm allocating skills wrong or missing things. I'm hoping to get some suggestions. Since I'm coming late to the party I have no real interest in PvP, and will probably just play the game with PvE in mind only.

With that said what are some builds you've guys have found really fun for PvE? In DeS and DS1 I always just played a Two-Hander in Full Plate Mail type of build, but I'm really open to anything that people have found fun to play.

What do you want to play with?

I don't know if these two lists are "the best" but they do list weapons that are pretty good if nothing else.

http://www.reddit.com/r/DarkSouls2/comments/213ats/spoiler_strength_weapons/
http://www.reddit.com/r/DarkSouls2/comments/210osv/spoilers_dexterity_weapons/

Pick a weapon or two and look it up on the wiki.

Put the stats in to use the weapons you want. If you want spears, you're going to have to hit 20-27 dexterity depending on the spear. If you want to use ultragreatswords your strength is going to have to hit 28 and up. If you want to carry it all you need vitality (I get mine to 30 pretty early compared to most people so I can lug around a full weapon set plus some armor)

Casting is a whole different beast if you want to get into sorcery. I like sorcery, other people don't, but I think it's fun to be a glass cannon. I can make a sorcery post later if you want.

If you want a basic plan I would say go strength build and respec dex later if you want because the early weapons that are the best weapons are the Str weapons. Go 28 str 15 dex and get the Greatsword in No Man's Wharf that looks like a Berserk ripoff and smash things in the face with it. Along the way pump as much vitality as you can, and your fourth stat early on is adaptability for i-frames in your roll. Ignore health, endurance, int, faith, and attunement early on.

One thing you want to remember, you're worried about stats but upgrade materials on a melee character are loving precious early on. Late game you unlock the ability to buy as much as you want. Early on you can find a decent few titanite shards, but large titanite shards are precious and titanite chunks are rare. Slabs should only go on weapons you know drat well you're keeping for most of the game (Like the Greatsword from No Man's Wharf).

You want to get to iron keep first. Clearing that will give you infinite buyable titanite and large titanite shards. Chunks are drops from a few farmable enemies and part of belltower PVP.

I really recommend you give in to PVP for a while and learn to belltower PVP as early as possible. People in the early game are scrubby as hell and it's easy to farm titanite chunks if you're not facing people with the ridiculous end game weapons.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

TheSpiritFox posted:

What do you want to play with?

I don't know if these two lists are "the best" but they do list weapons that are pretty good if nothing else.

http://www.reddit.com/r/DarkSouls2/comments/213ats/spoiler_strength_weapons/
http://www.reddit.com/r/DarkSouls2/comments/210osv/spoilers_dexterity_weapons/

Pick a weapon or two and look it up on the wiki.

Put the stats in to use the weapons you want. If you want spears, you're going to have to hit 20-27 dexterity depending on the spear. If you want to use ultragreatswords your strength is going to have to hit 28 and up. If you want to carry it all you need vitality (I get mine to 30 pretty early compared to most people so I can lug around a full weapon set plus some armor)

Casting is a whole different beast if you want to get into sorcery. I like sorcery, other people don't, but I think it's fun to be a glass cannon. I can make a sorcery post later if you want.

If you want a basic plan I would say go strength build and respec dex later if you want because the early weapons that are the best weapons are the Str weapons. Go 28 str 15 dex and get the Greatsword in No Man's Wharf that looks like a Berserk ripoff and smash things in the face with it. Along the way pump as much vitality as you can, and your fourth stat early on is adaptability for i-frames in your roll. Ignore health, endurance, int, faith, and attunement early on.

One thing you want to remember, you're worried about stats but upgrade materials on a melee character are loving precious early on. Late game you unlock the ability to buy as much as you want. Early on you can find a decent few titanite shards, but large titanite shards are precious and titanite chunks are rare. Slabs should only go on weapons you know drat well you're keeping for most of the game (Like the Greatsword from No Man's Wharf).

You want to get to iron keep first. Clearing that will give you infinite buyable titanite and large titanite shards. Chunks are drops from a few farmable enemies and part of belltower PVP.

I really recommend you give in to PVP for a while and learn to belltower PVP as early as possible. People in the early game are scrubby as hell and it's easy to farm titanite chunks if you're not facing people with the ridiculous end game weapons.

Thank you. This was super helpful.

I would like to play as a melee build. No preference from there. I'm fine with huge weapons or small fast ones. A few questions based on what you wrote:

1. From the weapon sheets you linked it seems like dexterity is way more versatile than strength?. Dexterity seems to lack in hammers, axes, and clubs, but has great options in everything else, even having a dexterity scaling great sword and ultra great sword (weapons I would have assumed would have been catered towards str characters). Str on the other hand struggles with Daggers, Various Small and Curved Swords, Spears, Whips, Claws. Are the hammers/axes/clubs in this game so drat cool that it's worth losing the versatility? I also realize this list, being about "the best", might be listing end-game items only, and for the majority of the game, things like giant two-handed swords are primarily better for str users?

2. You mention respeccing? Is this possible?

3. Regarding PVP. I played a poo poo load of PVP in Dark Souls. Like probably 50 hours of just PvP. The reason I was hesitant this time, is because I feel like everyone has had a year now, and everyone is just going to kick my poo poo in with their super fancy gear. I also imagine theres tons of players running around with those elite low level PvP builds specifically made to kill newbies like they did in DS1. Are these not issues anymore?

4. Other than the Berserk Sword, are there are any other weapons I should be shooting for along my path? Specifically other badass weapons that can be obtained earlyish?

5. What's the deal with scythes? I love using scythes in any game they are available, but it seems like they have a B-scaling in both dex and str. Are they any good at all?

Megasabin fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Oct 27, 2014

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Megasabin posted:

1. From the weapon sheets you linked it seems like dexterity is way more versatile than strength?. Dexterity seems to lack in hammers, axes, and clubs, but has great options in everything else, even having a dexterity scaling great sword and ultra great sword (weapons I would have assumed would have been catered towards str characters). Str on the other hand struggles with Daggers, Various Small and Curved Swords, Spears, Whips, Claws. Are the hammers/axes/clubs in this game so drat cool that it's worth losing the versatility? I also realize this list, being about "the best", might be listing end-game items only, and for the majority of the game, things like giant two-handed swords are primarily better for str users?

One thing to remember is that in Dark Souls II, Strength scaling is much more noticeable than Dexterity scaling. What I mean is that if a weapon has A scaling in Strength and A scaling in Dexterity, you're going to get more extra damage per point of Strength than per point of Dexterity. This is largely balanced because Dexterity weapons tend to be able to hit more quickly and therefore can add up damage about as quickly as Strength weapons can.

But what that means is that in many cases, you're going to be best served by getting the base Strength and Dexterity to wield the weapon(s) you want and then unless you want the very pure Dexterity weapons (like the Rapier, for example), you'll actually be better off increasing Strength first.

That said:

Megasabin posted:

Yep. There are Soul Vessels that you can use to respec and you'll get several throughout the game. There's absolutely no reason to stress about where you put your points, because you've got plenty of chances to redo them. One of the new DLCs basically throws Soul Vessels at you like candy, too.

Megasabin posted:

3. Regarding PVP. I played a poo poo load of PVP in Dark Souls. Like probably 50 hours of just PvP. The reason I was hesitant this time, is because I feel like everyone has had a year now, and everyone is just going to kick my poo poo in with their super fancy gear. I also imagine theres tons of players running around with those elite low level PvP builds specifically made to kill newbies like they did in DS1. Are these not issues anymore?

To a degree, Soul Memory stops this from happening. Basically, matchmaking isn't done by Soul Level anymore, but rather by the total amount of souls you've acquired, called Soul Memory. That means it's a lot harder to, say, go find some crazy boss soul weapon and upgrade it to +10 on an SL 30 character and invade and destroy new players.

It's also worth noting that I just finished an NG playthrough (haven't started NG+ yet) and I think I got invaded a total of four times? Invasions don't happen all that often in Dark Souls II (barring a couple of optional areas with special PvP covenants), so PvP is mostly something you have to intentionally seek out.

Megasabin posted:

4. Other than the Berserk Sword, are there are any other weapons I should be shooting for along my path? Specifically other badass weapons that can be obtained earlyish?

Just want to echo that the Greatsword owns. I just made a pure Strength character and that thing just cleaves bosses in half when you first get it. It's beautiful. I don't know much about other weapons that are easy to obtain early on like that, though.

That said, there are some other solid early-game weapons. You can find a Fire Longsword in one of the first areas that can carry you through quite a bit of the early game if you're going for a caster build. You can score a Halberd pretty early, too, but much like the Great Scythe it suffers a bit because you have to hit with the head (the "sweet spot") to do its full damage.

EDIT: Oh yeah, the Estoc! The blacksmith in Majula sells it as soon as you open his shop and it's a fantastic starter weapon. It's a rapier-type weapon but it scales more with Strength than Dexterity and has fantastic reach and a slashing R2 attack. It doesn't deal as much counter damage as other thrusting swords, but its R2 sweep and great range make it an excellent weapon for any situation.

Megasabin posted:

5. What's the deal with scythes? I love using scythes in any game they are available, but it seems like they have a B-scaling in both dex and str. Are they any good at all?

They're "quality" weapons (to use the old Demon's Souls term), meaning they scale equally with Strength and Dexterity. They're good, but you have to be good at hitting with the blade itself, and not the haft, or you'll do half damage. Pole weapons have "sweet spots" that you need to be able to hit with in order to deal their full damage, but their range is super good.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Oct 27, 2014

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

It's also worth noting that unlike DS1, you can be invaded while Hollow. I think I've only had 4 invasions my whole NG so far too, and two of those were the same person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

Megasabin posted:

Thank you. This was super helpful.

I would like to play as a melee build. No preference from there. I'm fine with huge weapons or small fast ones. A few questions based on what you wrote:

You'd have to look up the items but a number of them are available pretty early. Example, the thrusting sword Estoc is available for cheap from the blacksmith at the start of the game, the Mastadon Halberd can be obtained as early as about a quarter done with the game and the Mastadon Greatsword shortly thereafter. There are other weapons not listed that are still good and especially a number of weapons which are great if you go into casting stats for a hybrid build, this is more the "pure physical" list.

That said, alot of people just go straight up 50/50 pure physical build and with those stats you can use just about anything in the game very well.

quote:

Yes, there are items called soul vessels scattered in the game and they can be taken back to the starter area to reapportion every stat point except for the ones that came as part of your starter class choice.

quote:

Crap you don't know about soul memory.

Soul memory is how matchmaking is done. Not based on level, but on total souls earned, ever.

http://darksouls2.wikidot.com/online-matchmaking

There's the primer. What it amounts to is that you get souls for everything and you will eventually push yourself out of certain ranges unless you straight up make a new character. So low level PVP has very little twinking because even if you successfully twink the poo poo out of a character for the Soul Memory tier you go PVP in you will get souls for killing people and slowly level yourself out of that tier and eventually you will encounter people who went and did more PVE than you and who have better items because they held off PVP for longer.

So, like, I have a hex sorcerer who wrecked poo poo at about 150k soul memory tier because everyone was rocking the drangleic shield which doesn't block magic very well and I'd hit them through it and kill them block or no block, but now he's leveled to the point that people are getting access to better gear and greatshields which make my magic damage piddly so I have to go back to PVE and get some better poo poo before I get completely outclassed.

So no, you won't get destroyed early on. You will get destroyed in NG+++ when you also can destroy because everyone has access to the best of everything and there are a boatload of katanna spamming PVP tryhards who all have the same build and gear loadout.

• Locked thread