Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HairyManling
Jul 20, 2011

No flipping.
Fun Shoe

YIKES Stay Gooned posted:

Why didn't they just extend that platform just a tiny bit??

:darksouls:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

YIKES Stay Gooned posted:

I usually just run to that door fall but I die trying to make that jump 90% of the time. Why didn't they just extend that platform just a tiny bit??

Don't jump, just run off. Way less variance.

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

Never beat the game before, so picked up Scholar of the First Sin and am working my way through it. I like it, but man there is some cheesey stuff in this game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WlcsS-6ydc

I could only laugh at this because how absurd it was.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Rumors are circulating about Dark Souls 3 being announced at E3 this year (I'd link it but it's all rumors and speculation, even if Polygon labeled it a "report").

First quarter 2016 seems way too soon for a new Souls game, especially with Scholar and Bloodborne being released this year. I can definitely see Namco pushing for it though; I know DS2 has sold very well for them, and has probably hit that "valuable franchise" territory that publishers love to mine for gold. Hopefully that won't effect the quality of the game at all, but who knows.

(Please please please don't retread the tired A Team vs B Team DS2 sucks butts arguments that we've already seen a million times)

I've seen one or two people float the idea that this isn't a sequel at all, but a Scholar'd version of DS1. I would always want something new rather than a remake/remix, but if I'm honest with myself I would buy DS1 on PS4 as soon as the store allowed me too.

If this is actually DS3, I'd rather see the game set way, way BEFORE the events of DS1. It'd be cool to see the seeds planted to build DS1/2's world.

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan
DS2 was awesome. DS3 sometime next year would be ideal, but an updated HD re-make of DS1 for the new consoles would be acceptable if they did a good job with it.

I keep trying to go back and replay DS1 on the 360, but mechanically, DS2 is just way better, and trying to play co-op with a specific person in DS1 is a huge pain in the rear end compared to 2, so I just keep playing DS2 over and over again.

As much as running games into the ground by releasing sequels too often is a real thing that happens, it'd be pretty great if From was able to put out a new DS game every even year and a new Bloodborne game every odd year. Highly unlikely they could do it without sacrificing the quality, but it could be possible.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Note that the actual source of this rumor is vg247, a site very well known for being wrong about video game rumors and just making poo poo up on the fly for views and then later claiming they had no idea it was made up. Their entire header for the article is "Namco will announce Dark Souls 3 at E3, a source familiar with the matter has told VG247."

Ah yes, a "source familiar with the matter", aka my uncle who works at From who also told me about the pendant being used to unlock the secret third DS1 ending

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

BCRock posted:

DS2 was awesome. DS3 sometime next year would be ideal, but an updated HD re-make of DS1 for the new consoles would be acceptable if they did a good job with it.

I keep trying to go back and replay DS1 on the 360, but mechanically, DS2 is just way better, and trying to play co-op with a specific person in DS1 is a huge pain in the rear end compared to 2, so I just keep playing DS2 over and over again.

Yeah, it's pretty absurd when you're two of the 11 people worldwide actually currently playing DS1 on the Xbox 360, live a mile from each other, are the exact same soul level, and can never see each other's signs.

That alone makes DS2 the far superior game from a fun perspective, even if it wasn't already a better game mechanically, despite the fact those elevators go up and not down. And not nearly long enough elevator travel time. I mean, who hasn't ever ridden an elevator to a lava level in real life? What the hell were FROM thinking. My immersion!

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

EC posted:

(Please please please don't retread the tired A Team vs B Team DS2 sucks butts arguments that we've already seen a million times)

Come on, man, getting your hopes up like this will only make this thread more crushing when it inevitably turns into exactly that.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Zyklon B Zombie posted:

Never beat the game before, so picked up Scholar of the First Sin and am working my way through it. I like it, but man there is some cheesey stuff in this game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WlcsS-6ydc

I could only laugh at this because how absurd it was.

Honestly, those dudes are one of the worst monster closet enemies in the game, because there is no way to detect them. You can't carefully scrutinize the wall and determine that there's for sure a skeleton hiding behind it. It's the exact same texture as the rest of the wall.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

If they do make a new Souls game, I hope it has nothing to do with the previous entries aside from the general gameplay concept. We really don't need to revisit the undead curse for a third time.

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

Samuel Clemens posted:

If they do make a new Souls game, I hope it has nothing to do with the previous entries aside from the general gameplay concept. We really don't need to revisit the undead curse for a third time.

You know what really could use an HD remake? King's Field. Was playing Ancient City the other day and I wanted to roll and parry so goddamned bad.

read sign, was not wary of ambush

im cute fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Jun 3, 2015

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

VarXX posted:

Here's a bunch of screens supposedly from Dark Souls 3

Bunch more here http://imgur.com/a/6ZZgy

Might be fake, who knows

Fuuuuuuuuuuucck

BlackFrost
Feb 6, 2008

Have you figured it out yet?

EC posted:

Fuuuuuuuuuuucck

The Dark Souls 1 HUD being there kinda seals it as a fake IMO. I doubt they'd bring back the old HUD for a brand new game when they've been making their displays more and more minimalistic with each game.

Though I suppose that doesn't rule out a Scholar'd Dark Souls 1 which... Man I'd be super down for that, really.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
If someone actually managed to fake so many screenshots and pieces of concept art and nailed the art style of From Soft's game, then this person or group deserves major kudos for the dedication. It would take a shitload of time.

But I really doubt these are fake.

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

BlackFrost posted:

The Dark Souls 1 HUD being there kinda seals it as a fake IMO. I doubt they'd bring back the old HUD for a brand new game when they've been making their displays more and more minimalistic with each game.

Though I suppose that doesn't rule out a Scholar'd Dark Souls 1 which... Man I'd be super down for that, really.

It's likely just a placeholder HUD. I thought there had been Dark Souls 3 rumors floating around for a week or more anyhow.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
If it's a fake, it's the most convincing set of fake screenshots and art I've ever seen. It nails the style perfectly.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
I want to play this game right now and I've played 2 souls games in one month.

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man
It looks like a next-gen Demon's Souls.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

If someone actually managed to fake so many screenshots and pieces of concept art and nailed the art style of From Soft's game, then this person or group deserves major kudos for the dedication. It would take a shitload of time.

But I really doubt these are fake.

Not to mention, wasn't bloodborne leaked in the same way? We got pictures before e3, and eventually some alpha video was leaked and then they announced it for good at e3.

Remember the project beast leak. We've gotten about the same amount of pictures and both are of the same quality (not high resolution but still hard to fake)

15 bosses though, if the leak is right. Isn't than less than every other souls game? Demon's has 17 or 18 (if you want to count Vanguard demon).

But that might be the price to pay if this turns into a yearly series (leak says March 2016 for Xbone and ps4 launch) where every game might be a little bit smaller but it allows them to get one ready every year, while switching teams around. And they can always make it up with dlc.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
They say "15 new bosses" so it's possible there are also creatures returning from Dark Souls 1 and 2. And if they actually have a "heat up" mechanic that radically changes the fights, they'd still be designing 30 new bosses in practice, so it doesn't seem that far-fetched either way.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

They say "15 new bosses" so it's possible there are also creatures returning from Dark Souls 1 and 2. And if they actually have a "heat up" mechanic that radically changes the fights, they'd still be designing 30 new bosses in practice, so it doesn't seem that far-fetched either way.

Did they describe the heat up as something you could do optionally? Because it sounds like how some bosses have phases anyway, it's just a natural progression to call it that. Like how fume Knight heats up. It does change the fight but it's still considered all one boss fight.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I got the impression that it's some sort of enrage timer to stop you from playing too passively.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
The example they showed of a boss after its "heat up" optional phase looked much more than what we usually get. It basically looked like a completely different boss and with that likely comes a completely different moveset.

Cultisto
Oct 18, 2010

When Gozer the Gozarian roams the earth, you have my permission to die.
Fun Shoe
I've just restarted Dark Souls 2 now that I'm mostly done with Bloodborne, and it's hilarious how bad I was at this game before. I had bought it on sale and according to my save file I played about 4 hours without ever encountering a boss, and I remember "farming" by repeatedly killing the zombies in the forest to boost up my level to cheese the Heide Knight. Now I've got about an hour on my new character and managed to kill the Giant and the Dragonrider although Pursuer is giving me a bit of a hard time. I read a lot of people saying that once you got good in Bloodborne you'd be able to parry creatures easily in DS2 but I only manage to pull it off maybe 1/5th of the time, though I'm chalking that up to getting used to the animations which are a bit more clunky than BB.

I'm assuming I should be going for 25STR/DEX as a good starting point? I remembered the Fire Longsword from last time I played & I grabbed it and boosted it to +3 or +4, is that still considered a good starting weapon? I wasn't aware you could reinforce armor in this game so I'm assuming Titanite is at least common enough that I'll be able to upgrade a few pieces of armor alongside my weapons.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

EC posted:

Fuuuuuuuuuuucck

Best thing about these screens to me: On-character blood splatter confirmed. :getin:

:bloodborne: :hf: :darksouls:

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

Cultisto posted:

I've just restarted Dark Souls 2 now that I'm mostly done with Bloodborne, and it's hilarious how bad I was at this game before. I had bought it on sale and according to my save file I played about 4 hours without ever encountering a boss, and I remember "farming" by repeatedly killing the zombies in the forest to boost up my level to cheese the Heide Knight. Now I've got about an hour on my new character and managed to kill the Giant and the Dragonrider although Pursuer is giving me a bit of a hard time. I read a lot of people saying that once you got good in Bloodborne you'd be able to parry creatures easily in DS2 but I only manage to pull it off maybe 1/5th of the time, though I'm chalking that up to getting used to the animations which are a bit more clunky than BB.

I'm assuming I should be going for 25STR/DEX as a good starting point? I remembered the Fire Longsword from last time I played & I grabbed it and boosted it to +3 or +4, is that still considered a good starting weapon? I wasn't aware you could reinforce armor in this game so I'm assuming Titanite is at least common enough that I'll be able to upgrade a few pieces of armor alongside my weapons.

Yes to all of your questions, although upgrading armor is a distant second to upgrading weapons. I usually just did it when I had extra shards and souls kicking around.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Yeah, don't waste materials upgrading armor until you're settled on what you're going to wear forever, the tiny protection bonuses aren't really worth it for the expenditure of crafting goods.

You're just gonna be rolling out of the way anyway, if/when you git gud.

Also the Fire Longsword is like legitimately in the top 5 weapons in the entire game and you can definitely use it throughout your entire playthrough and succeed.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
I wanna do a no-shield, power-stancing run. I picked the Swordsman starting class and have got my stats up so I can powerstance twin short swords.

Any reccomendations for good powerstanced weapons? DEX being my main stat.

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

BottledBodhisvata posted:

I wanna do a no-shield, power-stancing run. I picked the Swordsman starting class and have got my stats up so I can powerstance twin short swords.

Usually when I think power-stancing I think of clubs and fists, but apparently there's a few other cool things.

Warped Sword has some cool things about it, like being able to be stanced with a wide variety of other weapons and getting a nice L2 4-hit combo.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Powerstanced Rapiers are legit the absolute best setup in the entire game.

Flumpus
Jul 22, 2007

Alabaster White posted:

Seconded. I'd never used a rapier in any Souls game, and my rapier DS2 run was by far my favorite way to play DS2. They're a ton of fun... good to two hand, power stance, whatever.

Cultisto
Oct 18, 2010

Fun Shoe

Ether Frenzy posted:

Yeah, don't waste materials upgrading armor until you're settled on what you're going to wear forever, the tiny protection bonuses aren't really worth it for the expenditure of crafting goods.

You're just gonna be rolling out of the way anyway, if/when you git gud.

Also the Fire Longsword is like legitimately in the top 5 weapons in the entire game and you can definitely use it throughout your entire playthrough and succeed.

I just upgraded a few pieces right before reading this, but I'll keep it in mind for the future. Meanwhile I've killed "hard" bosses in Bloodborne with ease but I'm probably on 20 Pursuer attempts, even after watching a few videos he is a giant pain. I try to stick to rolling instead of using my shield but whichever method I use I am completely out of stamina after dodging him so I get maybe one hit before he does yet another 3 hit kill combo. I got him down to 5% once so I know he will go down soon, but the ramp in difficulty compared to the Pinata that was the Giant is nuts.

Flumpus
Jul 22, 2007

Cultisto posted:

I just upgraded a few pieces right before reading this, but I'll keep it in mind for the future. Meanwhile I've killed "hard" bosses in Bloodborne with ease but I'm probably on 20 Pursuer attempts, even after watching a few videos he is a giant pain. I try to stick to rolling instead of using my shield but whichever method I use I am completely out of stamina after dodging him so I get maybe one hit before he does yet another 3 hit kill combo. I got him down to 5% once so I know he will go down soon, but the ramp in difficulty compared to the Pinata that was the Giant is nuts.

Have you tried the parry/ballista technique with the Pursuer? He's real easy to parry, and it may take a couple tries to get the timing and location right for the ballista, but that's the way to do the first Pursuer fight. He's not impossible otherwise, but that's a good way to get past that initial hurdle to get to some nice upgrade materials in the next place.

Cultisto
Oct 18, 2010

Fun Shoe

Flumpus posted:

Have you tried the parry/ballista technique with the Pursuer? He's real easy to parry, and it may take a couple tries to get the timing and location right for the ballista, but that's the way to do the first Pursuer fight. He's not impossible otherwise, but that's a good way to get past that initial hurdle to get to some nice upgrade materials in the next place.

Heh, thanks! Figured out the parry timing, Victory Achieved and I don't care if it was slightly cheap. Though, once I got the timing down, I figured I would have had him easily enough either way.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Alabaster White posted:

Any rapiers in particular or just the regular ole kind?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Ricard's is good as always, because if you hold it in I think your offhand you can still do the ATATATATATAT super fast R2 attack even while powerstancing.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Cultisto posted:

Rolling becomes much more viable the higher your agility stat is, which is derived from ADP and ATT. Basically the higher your AGI the more invincible frames you have on your rolls. You really want to have 105 AGI, which for most builds is around 30 ADP.

There's a break down of it here http://darksouls2.wikidot.com/agility

hmm yes
Dec 2, 2000
College Slice

I powerstance dual Heide Knight swords. They're short swords but with lightning damage and do slightly more damage when upgraded. You need to grind out the drops, but they hit like a truck and you look real cool while you do it :clint:

hmm yes fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Jun 11, 2015

poonchasta
Feb 22, 2007

FFFFAAAFFFFF FFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFFAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF
I beat this game back on the 360 with sword and board, so now I'm powerstancing with dual caestus (fist weapon) and it's going pretty well. Just coming off of Bloodborne helps a lot. I love that the powerstance L1 is a quick 2 punch combo. And if you need to break poise, the R2 heavy punch usually works pretty well. I haven't messed with the L2 punch tornado yet, but I hear good things about it. I'm raising up that adaptability so I can roll like a motherfucker, of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Any rapiers in particular or just the regular ole kind?

poison ricard's rapier/black scorpion stinger is super fun, keep a normal regular one in another slot to switch to when the poison triggers. i keep the espada ropera in the offhand with maybe a spider's silk or ice rapier for giggles and japes

• Locked thread