Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pretend to care
Dec 11, 2005

Good men must not obey the laws too well
Christ, 60 hours invested over 8 days? To be clear I'm not mad, just jealous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pretend to care
Dec 11, 2005

In Training posted:

Did the death counter carry over into SotFS or is that one version specific. Also what is the death counter up to

BTW - I think it does. I believe it's at 53 million and climbing.

edit: Also yeah the fall damage is ridiculous, coming from playing Bloodborne more recently.

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

Things have gotten much smoother since I decided to stop denying my nature and focus on my true play strength: ARCHERY

gently caress all your poo poo, Drangleic.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

StrangeAeon posted:

I really don't remember the original version of the game being as frustrating as Scholar is. For gently caress's sake, I'm still stuck in the first area.

Maybe it's a result of coming from Bloodborne, but it feels like a lot of things regarding reaction times and fall damage were tweaked. Enemies combo constantly and track a lot better than I remember, a fall of even three feet results in instant death it seems, and using an item takes forever. Speaking of, the undead soldiers are now 90% immune to magic damage (via witching urn). That's... that's great. Really.

You are merely mis-remembering - at least the tracking. Enemies on turntables was always a DS2 "feature".

My experience with SotFS vs vanilla DS2 has been....odd. For the most part it seems like they have cut out a lot of bullshit encounters, or moved them somewhere more reasonable. Like NPC invasions seem nowhere near as cheap and inopportune as they used to be. I just did Iron Keep last night, and the run from bonfire to Smelter (assuming you have already dispatched Armorer Dennis) feels a LOT easier, since there aren't a billion Alonne Knights there now. Certain boss fights feel a LOT more difficult than I remember them being. I'm thinking of the Chariot guy here. I remember that boss being "sprint to first witch, kill. sprint to 2nd witch, kill. sprint to switch. kill boss." And not having to worry much at all about the skeletons. Now I can barely get to the first witch at all before I get mobbed and wrecked.

Earthen Peak was a more difficult than I remembered overall, yet with a couple of the bullshit encounters removed. Whatever invader that is which used to be above the hallway where you enter the boss arena being gone, for example. I got poisoned WAY more this time around than in vanilla. Dunno if they tweaked poison resistance, or what, but it happened MUCH more often than I recalled.

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3
the early part of sotfs feels harder, but a lot of the bullshit from vanilla was smoothed out (for the most part) throughout the rest of the game. i didn't notice a difference with the bosses really.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
Got drunk, bored of Iron King (some of those rooms are real tedious and boring for the souls you get for it holy hell), started NG+.

Immediately killed by the swarm of falconers. :smith:

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
haha

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken
I kept beating my head trying to get to the Ancient Dragon. Holy hell there's dozen of those little gold guys you have to wade through now. I left and went to Ivory King, will come back when I can 1-2 shot them.

The speed and drop damage DOES take getting used to after coming back from Bloodborne. I keep getting killed because I misjudge my swing and rolling speed.

Boosh!
Apr 12, 2002
Oven Wrangler

NarkyBark posted:

I kept beating my head trying to get to the Ancient Dragon. Holy hell there's dozen of those little gold guys you have to wade through now. I left and went to Ivory King, will come back when I can 1-2 shot them.

I've been able to run past all of them, even with the fog gate up.

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

Heide's Tower was full of unpleasant surprises, but there's enough co-op activity there to make it ultimately trivial. Less so with the Bastille; it's just as frustrating for a NG run as I remember.

Also, holy hell has Bloodborne spoiled me for healing speed. I'm going to dump a few levels into Adaptation and see if that makes my character stop needing to delicately untwist the Estus flask lid before gingerly sipping from it.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

NarkyBark posted:

I believe the little guys only attack you if you don't kill the giant Drakekeepers. Otherwise, they're non-hostile until provoked.

As for SotFS changes, the one I really don't understand is why they stuck a Flexile Sentry right before Lost Sinner. It's really not an area that's conductive to this kind of fight, and it usually ends with me standing on the stairs and using ranged attacks.

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Rx Suicide emailed me and all I got was this amazingly awesome forum account.

Tortured By Flan

pretend to care posted:

Christ, 60 hours invested over 8 days? To be clear I'm not mad, just jealous.

The joys of game testing. Work comes in hard then goes flat for a long time.

Most of those hours are spent dealing with the basic mobs while roaming around places. The game felt pretty straight forward with some choices here and there that caused me to pause and think about where to go first (viewers helped a lot here in picking a good place to go, though sometimes they trolled me into a dead end). Monsters, by a huge margin, were far more difficult a thing to manage than the bosses. Some of that is my build - I forced myself into dual wielding because that's kind of my preferred style in games, but it meant I had no block/parry with my chosen longswords (of which I took all the way to end game because fashion souls is real). There's so many situations where block would have just been a million times better, but I refused out of raw stubbornness to have two weapons for no good reason. It wasn't even until later in the game that I managed to use the basic dual wield attack regularly, given it's swing time and stamina cost.

I definitely plan to play DS3 with a ton less build loyalty and just use whatever awesome weapon I manage to get. I sort of robbed myself of that kind of fun when I stuck with the swords, but I am glad I managed to do DS2 "the hard way" without a shield. Really there's just a lot of cool weapons in DS2 that I could probably run another game switching between all of them.

Not an Owl
Oct 29, 2011

Samuel Clemens posted:

I believe the little guys only attack you if you don't kill the giant Drakekeepers. Otherwise, they're non-hostile until provoked.

As for SotFS changes, the one I really don't understand is why they stuck a Flexile Sentry right before Lost Sinner. It's really not an area that's conductive to this kind of fight, and it usually ends with me standing on the stairs and using ranged attacks.

It's better than the assholes who were there in Vanilla. I never figured out how to fight them.

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken
They were slow and you could basically just bait attacks from them. Or for easy mode, send the elevator up and bring them up to the hole, they'll fall in.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
yeah until you accidentally aggroed that one mummy who would flying leap under the water and you couldn't see where he landed and the he blows up and kills you.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I love getting invaded by clear twinkers with the Greatsword, King's Shield, and Black Witch's Set (with havelpants), and taking them down with a +1 Scimitar and Winged Spear.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
I'm gonna stream some DS2:SotFS pvp for awhile. PS4 version:

http://www.twitch.tv/notecec/

Done, that was fun

EC fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Aug 22, 2015

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken

Samuel Clemens posted:

Unfortunately that's not the case, they aggro fine on their own. I did end up beating them though. I fought all the way to the grand staircase, aggro'd everyone there, waited for them to come down a bit and then just booked it to the dragon.

My next curiosity... is wondering if those random butterflies hide some sort of big secret or not. Seems like no one knows yet? Now I'm scanning all the higher spots everywhere I go.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

[quote="NarkyBark" post="449281260"]
Unfortunately that's not the case, they aggro fine on their own. I did end up beating them though. I fought all the way to the grand staircase, aggro'd everyone there, waited for them to come down a bit and then just booked it to the dragon.

My next curiosity... is wondering if those random butterflies hide some sort of big secret or not. Seems like no one knows yet? Now I'm scanning all the higher spots everywhere I go.
[/quoteNo, it is the case, so long as you don't run past any of the big guys the little dudes will never attack. They even bow to you. You must have screwed something up if they didn't even bow.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

Akuma posted:

NarkyBark posted:

No, it is the case, so long as you don't run past any of the big guys the little dudes will never attack. They even bow to you. You must have screwed something up if they didn't even bow.

They also auto aggro if you have a phantom or use a Seed and maybe something else, can't remember

Stranger Danger Ranger
Jul 21, 2007
There are lizards coming out of my tv.

Boosh! posted:

Probably answered to death but any reason why I can get summoned but I can't see my friend's sign? On the PS4, within 20k soul memory and using the name ring, FWIW.

edit: and region lock is set to "allow"

Just in case you haven't solved this yet... is this in an area where you recently defeated the boss? Could be the human effigy effect.

Boosh!
Apr 12, 2002
Oven Wrangler

Jaaam posted:

Just in case you haven't solved this yet... is this in an area where you recently defeated the boss? Could be the human effigy effect.

Oh thanks, that may be it. Usually I help my friend beat the boss first. How do you remedy it?

EDIT: Is this it?

quote:

No, the SotFS edition automatically puts you into a 30 minute effigy burning effect after killing an area's boss. This way you can explore and pick up what you may have missed without being invaded and killed. Nothing is wrong. Just sit at the bonfire and select to end the effigy's effect.

I just need to wait 30 minutes?

Boosh! fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Aug 23, 2015

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

You don't need to wait 30 minutes, sit at the bonfire of that area and select "Nullify Human Effigy's Effects". If you don't see that, it isn't affecting you.

Boosh!
Apr 12, 2002
Oven Wrangler
Thanks fellas

pretend to care
Dec 11, 2005

gently caress the Gutter.

e: Also, wtf PvP. I've had numerous encounters (mostly in Belfry) where I appear to be "parried" into some stock backstab/visceral attack animation, however, I never actually attacked the invader in these situations. They just run up to me and do it.

e2: Who is the guy moaning in most of the early-ish areas? This started while I was wandering around Things Betwixt dropping off some smooth stones and then it seems to have stopped after I killed the Gargoyles, but if was very strange and super loving unsettling.

pretend to care fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Aug 24, 2015

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Are they shield breaking you? Instead of a kick, DS2 lets you hit forward + R1 to do a shield break. If you do it to an enemy with their shield up, they'll go into a "oh poo poo" animation and you can riposte them by pressing R1 again.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

pretend to care posted:

gently caress the Gutter.

e: Also, wtf PvP. I've had numerous encounters (mostly in Belfry) where I appear to be "parried" into some stock backstab/visceral attack animation, however, I never actually attacked the invader in these situations. They just run up to me and do it.

e2: Who is the guy moaning in most of the early-ish areas? This started while I was wandering around Things Betwixt dropping off some smooth stones and then it seems to have stopped after I killed the Gargoyles, but if was very strange and super loving unsettling.

You were shoulder-bashed while you had a shield up, which puts you into a riposte state, OR there's some new hack that lets you knock people over somehow.

No clue about the noises, unless you had the Ring of Whispers on which makes a strange groaning noise when enemies are nearby.

pretend to care
Dec 11, 2005

That's probably what it is, although hard to tell. Entirely possible the tight camera angles of the bell tower make it difficult to see them actually doing the shield break.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
It's definitely the ring on the moaning. I actually chalked that up to a glitch until it kept happening after a reboot.

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken

quote:

GodFish posted:

No, it is the case, so long as you don't run past any of the big guys the little dudes will never attack. They even bow to you. You must have screwed something up if they didn't even bow.

They also auto aggro if you have a phantom or use a Seed and maybe something else, can't remember

Originally, everything in the zone was aggro to me, unprovoked. No phantoms, no seed use. I did discover that once I tried attacking the dragon and the fog gate went up, then the little guys all go passive and you can run by them. It's either that or the killing of the head dual-wielding dude at the top but it's probably the fog gate that triggered the change.

Haven't managed to kill the dragon yet, somehow the stupid thing keeps going airborne and then landing on me even if I run. No matter, Vendrick went down like a chump without him.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Samuel Clemens posted:

I heard something in a podcast about the lore and how No Man's Wharf was used to smuggle undead prisoners, so maybe that implies the Flexile is a jailer of some sort, in which case it would make sense having one down with the cells near Sinner... but yeah I don't really know.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

The Berzerker posted:

I heard something in a podcast about the lore and how No Man's Wharf was used to smuggle undead prisoners, so maybe that implies the Flexile is a jailer of some sort, in which case it would make sense having one down with the cells near Sinner... but yeah I don't really know.

It makes a lot more sense for a flexile to be there than one of Aldia's hosed up Cronenbergs.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Well also that ship travels between No Man's Warf and the Lost Bastile, so like, maybe he was just on the other end of his route?

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Snak posted:

Well also that ship travels between No Man's Warf and the Lost Bastile, so like, maybe he was just on the other end of his route?

Interrupting a flexbro on lunch break, that's terrible.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

EC posted:

I mean he was probably delivering prisoners from No Man's Warf, that were brought there by those rear end in a top hat bandits.

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

EC posted:

No Man's Wharf is a no smoking zone. All those barrels... Flexy was just grabbing a smoke at the Rise in the wet being responsible and not risking fires. And then I killed him.

Poor dude. Does two sets of lungs mean double the cravings?

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

last year i rewrote something awful from scratch because i hate myself
Picked up SotFS version for PS4 and been playing this week. I thought this game was loving impossible until I realized I accidentally entered Champion's covenant.

Also, gently caress this Halberd. I don't know if it's because my adaptability isn't leveled, but I like how the one in Dark Souls 1 swings way better. I used that through the entire game.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Just spoke to the Ancient Dragon. Where am I supposed to go next? I've tried giant memories but they've been kind of tough so I'm not sure if I'm out of order here.. Also they have timers built in before they kick you out, and it seems like not much time to do anything. I turtle through everywhere. I tried the city behind the Rotten and that kicked my rear end, too. Anywhere else I'm missing?

I'm at 2.1m souls, and I feel under leveled everywhere I go right now.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
Have you been to the forest yet? Past the petrified statue near Majula.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Philthy posted:

Just spoke to the Ancient Dragon. Where am I supposed to go next? I've tried giant memories but they've been kind of tough so I'm not sure if I'm out of order here.. Also they have timers built in before they kick you out, and it seems like not much time to do anything. I turtle through everywhere. I tried the city behind the Rotten and that kicked my rear end, too. Anywhere else I'm missing?

I'm at 2.1m souls, and I feel under leveled everywhere I go right now.

One of the giant memories is the path forward, the area behind the rotten was one of the original DLC areas. You are basically 95% done with the original content, and now would be the time to do those three DLC areas before you fight the final bosses

• Locked thread