Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Sir Alonne wasn't an issue for me because my NPC phantoms drew aggro while I smashed his face in.

RatHat posted:

Hate to break it to you but you wouldn't have been able to light the bonfire with enemies so close anyway.

Really? I thought you just couldn't rest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

BottledBodhisvata posted:

I really don't know what it is that makes him so loving hard, I really don't. He feels like he should be pretty easy to dodge, he has only two or three attacks he repeats but his combos have this weird timing (and gently caress me, Sir Alonne is even worse) and then he does that bullshit Smelter Demon thing...

Part of it is that he has a set pace for how often he attacks but every now and then he will do something different that catches you off guard. The amount of times I was hit by a sudden swipe of his second sword would have been funny if I didn't feel like breaking my controller in half. For Sir Alonne I could deal with another slog so I summoned two other players before proceeding to tear him apart.

On a different note is there a reason why the zweihander has such a different move set from most other ultra great swords?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

U-DO Burger posted:

Sir Alonne wasn't an issue for me because my NPC phantoms drew aggro while I smashed his face in.

Really? I thought you just couldn't rest.

Oh you might be right.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG
Nah that's what happened to me. Touched bonfire, couldn't activate, got ate

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
Out of curiosity, is there even any point to that Not-Dragon Butt room besides being a place to grind petrified dragon bones?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
It's on the way to the Dragon Stone mechanism to open the way to Elana/Sinh and has a few items in it. It has as much "point" as any other areas.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

RatHat posted:

It's on the way to the Dragon Stone mechanism to open the way to Elana/Sinh and has a few items in it. It has as much "point" as any other areas.

I'm aware of the of the Dragon Stone shortcut, but I was asking more in regards to is there a story/lore based reason for the room/monsters existing or is it literally "here's an area to grind mats for boss weapons."

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

TaurusOxford posted:

I'm aware of the of the Dragon Stone shortcut, but I was asking more in regards to is there a story/lore based reason for the room/monsters existing or is it literally "here's an area to grind mats for boss weapons."

I think it was supposed to signify that Drangleic wasn't the only group to try and reinvent the Dragon to deal with the curse of undeath. Or maybe they thought Sinh was lonely and wanted to make him a playmate.

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

TaurusOxford posted:

The Imperfects were maybe creations of Aldia's and sent alongside Sir Yorgh and the Drakeblood Knights to occupy Shulva and subdue Sinh. Unfortunately they are big as hell, so after Yorgh popped Sinh like a big corruption balloon, they naturally just settled to the lowest-most point in the city and stayed there, unable to fit into the Sanctum and unable to make their way back up and after the Archdrake refugees and Velstadt.

im cute fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Oct 28, 2015

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

TaurusOxford posted:

The Eternal Sanctum key's description says the Sunken King filled the Dragon Sanctum with "devilish creatures" to protect it against trespassers. Clearly it did not work.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Just beat the game. I have to say I can't remember the last time it felt so good to beat a game.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Just started playing this again after not touching it since soon after launch, where I didn't get very far. Decided to try a no-shield, dodge, dex based character, ie. make it as much like Bloodborne as possible. Just wondered what weapons people would recommend for that, esp. early game. I've been getting decent mileage out of double handing the winged spear at the moment but I don't to invest too much into upgrading it if there are better options.

E: also what's the sweet spot for adaptability points?

Sakurazuka fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Dec 1, 2015

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

Sakurazuka posted:

Just started playing this again after not touching it since soon after launch, where I didn't get very far. Decided to try a no-shield, dodge, dex based character, ie. make it as much like Bloodborne as possible. Just wondered what weapons people would recommend for that, esp. early game. I've been getting decent mileage out of double handing the winged spear at the moment but I don't to invest too much into upgrading it if there are better options.

20 is a good spot for ADP. Wish I could help you with the Bloodborneesque weapons thing but I didn't play it and as far as I understand they play pretty differently.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Sakurazuka posted:

The Rapier is rad as hell. You could also go with the Falchion or something.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
:siren: I setup a FROMGoons community on PS4 just now, and invited a bunch of people on my FL who I know from here. You can join via my profile (notecec) or some other goon that's already joined. I have it set so people can join without being approved, but if it gets weird I'll change that. If you want to be added post your PSN here.

I kinda dig the communities feature for looking for co-op or setting up parties, so hopefully people will use it.

beepstreet
Feb 7, 2005

I'm down. Ill probably get back into DS2 when I've finished with the Old Hunters. My PSN name is ledouxca

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

I'll be in that.
Psn is Sleekly.

You should post your invite in the bloodborne thread if you havent already.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

beepstreet posted:

I'm down. Ill probably get back into DS2 when I've finished with the Old Hunters. My PSN name is ledouxca

Sleekly posted:

I'll be in that.
Psn is Sleekly.

You should post your invite in the bloodborne thread if you havent already.

Invites sent.

I posted in the BB thread and the main PS4 thread.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I'll sign up for the group, I don't do a lot of co-oping but DS2 is all I've been playing lately

PSN name is DeathShiki

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

So, uh, the DLC bosses are kind of a jump in difficulty, huh?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Sakurazuka posted:

So, uh, the DLC bosses are kind of a jump in difficulty, huh?

Of the 5 bosses, 3 of them are pretty hard, coming from the main game. The first DLC boss is definitly intended as a barrier for people who are underlevelled or underskilled.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Which is considered the first? I just did the giant snow tiger, which could kill me in two hits and also I somehow almost broke my main weapon on.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Yeah I highly recommend having a back-up weapon slotted for the DLC bosses if you're going pure melee like I did. For some reason a lot of those bosses broke my main sword before they died

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

last year i rewrote something awful from scratch because i hate myself
Man this game sucks.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Sakurazuka posted:

Which is considered the first? I just did the giant snow tiger, which could kill me in two hits and also I somehow almost broke my main weapon on.

The intended order is Sunken king->Old Iron King->Ivory King. Also how much Vigor do you have?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Grump posted:

Man this game sucks.

Are you sure it's not that you just don't like Souls games?

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

last year i rewrote something awful from scratch because i hate myself
I love Dark Souls and Bloodbourne

and it's not the difficulty

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Grump posted:

I love Dark Souls and Bloodbourne

and it's not the difficulty

Would you mind saying why you dislike the game?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

RatHat posted:

The intended order is Sunken king->Old Iron King->Ivory King. Also how much Vigor do you have?

Err, 30 I think.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Hunt11 posted:

Would you mind saying why you dislike the game?

Oooooh. I got this one. From a similar discussion in the Bloodborne thread:

Soulsborne is my favorite series of game ever and I abhor Dark Souls 2. I still haven't finished SotFS, and I doubt I ever will. I know everyone likes to tout the quality of life improvements and in some places I agree, but the gameplay of DS2 is flat-out bullshit. HP sink enemies on turntables is pretty much the antithesis of the rest of the entire series. You are dead-on about the slow-motion thing, too. Sprinting in DS2 feels like only my animation speeds up, but I don't move any faster. It looks cartoonish and stupid, like you have grease on your feet. Same with the weapon tracking of enemies on turntables. The turtle knights in FoFG look flat out stupid rotating in place as they swing their weapon. With all the complaints the entire series gets from some people about "artificial difficulty", I would say DS2 actually is guilty of this. The other game worlds all have a set of internal rules - bullshit at times? perhaps. Difficult at times? definitely, but at least creatures behave in a manner which is consistent with those rules (and 'real-world' physics, to a point), whereas DS2 just goes "lol". It gives me the impression that the DS2 team couldn't come up with interesting enemies, so they just made them bullshit to make up for it - thinking that difficulty at any cost is what makes the series good. Bland enemies, mostly bland bosses.

Here is a brief one-act play I've titled "Origin of the Turtle Knight"

quote:

"so it's a knight, but he's armored like a turtle, see? So you can't just fish around him for backstabs"
"hmm. Is that going to be hard enough for our audience? they like it hard."
"well I mean they have GIANT maces which hit hard, so a couple of good solid whacks will kill most players"
"right, but is that hard enough? Can you dodge the swings by rolling to the side?"
"well the overhead smash, yes - but there's a wide sweeping arc which is tough to dodge that way"
"right but will that be hard enough? Can you make it so they can rotate in place as they are swinging?"
"umm. but how? they are HUGE armored opponents. Being able to rotate in place will look funny and make no sense, plus there's no animation for it"
"yes. make them track to follow the player - no animation required. We need to make it HARD!"

I think of DS2 the same way I think of Lords of the Fallen - it's like a Souls game made by someone who didn't really "get it", and the differences are enough to make it completely uncompelling for me.

I don't even have too many complaints about the level design. As much as I hate this kind of handwaving: it is fantasy, after all - so having an elevator which goes up to a lava caldera at the top of a windmill sitting on a hilltop doesn't destroy my disbelief enough to ruin the experience. It's weird, sure but in light of the other stupid crap going on, I can easily let that slide.

Yeah, so. I don't like DS2. :)

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
Dark Souls 2 has problems sure, but comparing it to Lords of the Fallen is downright insulting. I've beaten DS2 on two different consoles, whereas LotF was deleted off my PS4 by the time I got to the third boss.

beepstreet
Feb 7, 2005

DS2 definitely feels the worst in terms of animation, especially returning to it from Bloodborne, but I love its build variety and the fact that you can get a distinct one going in 30-45 mins on a new character. The level design, although definitely not as good or detailed as the other games, somewhat makes up for it with variety and having multiple paths available to you at the start. That being said, it does seem like quite a few areas are unfinished, at least in terms of textures. The Bastille in particular has lots of lovely cube rooms and outside areas where the textures on buildings are obviously tiled from top to bottom which looks quite naff. Also the distant forest view from the FOFG visible from the area with the ladder that leads to the shortsword, you know, with the same lazy texture problem and N64 trees?

The best areas in DS2 are the FOFG, No Man's Wharf, Huntsman's Copse, Doors Of Pharros, Brightstone Cave Tseldora and the Dragon Shrine and all the DLC which is the best part by far.

And fortunately the multiplayer component is the strong. Tons of coop and PVP and I get plenty of invasions which are a blast.

I love this series so much. I really hope we do get sci Fi souls after DS3 so it stays fresh.

Rank: Dark Souls - Demon's Souls or Bloodborne - Dark Souls 2

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

All the best octopodes shoot fire and ice.
I agree with pretty much all of that, it was enough to make me put the game down for several months after release. Comparing it to Lords of the Fallen is just mean. I'd love to debate it's design as it feels like something that should be a part of Egoraptor's Sequilitis series.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG
Yeah I want a sci-fi souls so bad.that would be crazy amazing.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I liked a lot of DS2 but the biggest problem I had was "bloat". There were more stats, more bosses, more weapons and more consumables and spells than previously but I prefer tighter and smarter design to just pure content. Which is why I love Bloodborne.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Bass Bottles posted:

Yeah I want a sci-fi souls so bad.that would be crazy amazing.

If that's the case, they should mesh Souls and their mech series together.

Explore a giant derelict spaceship, "LRDR4N" and find mech parts on the corpses of other mechs

Fight a mech dragon

Oh poo poo it's an undead mech dragon

Rest at bonfires repair system units.

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

All the best octopodes shoot fire and ice.

In Training posted:

I liked a lot of DS2 but the biggest problem I had was "bloat". There were more stats, more bosses, more weapons and more consumables and spells than previously but I prefer tighter and smarter design to just pure content. Which is why I love Bloodborne.

I agree, and I love creature desogn as well. Bloodbourne is one of my new favorite games for this reason.

Also a Souls game with a different setting would be awesome, especially sci-fi Armored Core Souls. Armored Souls.

beepstreet
Feb 7, 2005

It must happen, its too good of an idea not to. Miyazaki crafting strange alien worlds and derelict spacecraft. Your character progressively becoming more of a weird gross cyborg (or not) with gameplay implications either way. Installing too many mechanical bits could make you weaker to shock attacks or increase your vulnerability to viruses (frenzy) at the benefit of speed and sheer murder power. Upgradeable mechanical arms wielding light sabers and automatic laser weaponry making disgusting and imaginative alien and hybrid creatures explode. Hire me From!

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

So, System Shock 2 with improved shooting mechanics? I'm down with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

TaurusOxford posted:

Dark Souls 2 has problems sure, but comparing it to Lords of the Fallen is downright insulting. I've beaten DS2 on two different consoles, whereas LotF was deleted off my PS4 by the time I got to the third boss.

I'm not sure I ever made it to the third LotF boss. And I actually finished vanilla DS2, but only because it was still shiny new and OMG MORE SOULS. I have tried going back to it a coupla times since then and I just can't. And I wasn't comparing it directly to LotF - that's nonsensical. I just mean that it seems the DS2 team didn't "get" Dark Souls, and LotF really really REALLY didn't get it.

My rank is: Bloodborne -> Dark Souls -> Demon's Souls ----------------------------------------------------------------------> Dark Souls 2

And the 1st three are really close. BB and DS1 would probably be tied if BB didn't get all Lovecraftian, because I love that crazy racist prick's stories.

• Locked thread