Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

Merauder posted:

So Shrine of Amana is the worst zone in a Souls game to date, yeah? I'd take a hundred Anor Londo archers or Izaleth dinobutts over these homing spell casters while I trudge through waist deep water.

You know, I used to feel the same way but I managed to clear the entire area on one life with a mace and no bows, not quite sure how I managed it. I think the area's only really bad if you rush or take too much time.

For me, the one area I have trouble with is Brume Tower. Fume Knight's easy for me but gently caress me whenever I have to go into those rooms where you need Smelter Wedges to get by.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
I mean sure, like most anything, with a little patience and attention to detail everything in these games can be handled easily, especially when you know where the enemies and/or traps/pitfalls/things to avoid are. Just when I'd thought I'd comfortably cleared out another area and would progress further, I'd walk off an underwater ledge (aint nobody got time for torches).

By the end of my working through that area I learned to watch the path that the enemies took to know where the safe areas were to walk, and then it was just patience in taking out the casters one at a time. Just a pain as a purely melee character. They really did a good job with the layout of the enemies and ensuring that when you're exposed to fight one caster, the next one is taking a shot at you from another direction.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I for serious carried a torch almost the entire time and went through at least a dozen flame butterflies.

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

Snak posted:

I for serious carried a torch almost the entire time and went through at least a dozen flame butterflies.

turn your monitor on

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

paco650 posted:

turn your monitor on

My brightness is set just fine, but the reflections on the water don't let me see the edge of the underwater cliffs without torchlight.

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
So... something really weird just occurred. I warped to the Bastille and ran over to get the item on the ledge near the start. I started to bring up the menu to check what I'd gotten, backed out and a dude basically popped into existence directly in front of me. He was just standing there. I swung at him and he rolled into the room with all the dogs and the archer. When we met back up, he ended up warp-backstabbing me.

There a way to invade without an invasion message? He wasn't using Chameleon, he was just there all of a sudden. I'd been in the Bastille like 10 seconds. He wasn't phantom colored, either, he looked like a normal player. Weird gear, though. Creepy mask, green shirt. I've never seen either piece.

What the hell just happened to me? :psyduck:

E: Watching the video back, it's almost like there's a hitch that occurs. My guy was leaning to the left, but when dude pops into existence, my guy is stood up straight. I assume this guy's cheating somehow or something? Very confused about all of this.

ChibiSoma fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Jan 27, 2016

big trivia FAIL
May 9, 2003

"Jorge wants to be hardcore,
but his mom won't let him"

So I just bought SoTFS to burn through it before Dark Souls 3. Is DkS2 like 1 in that it was really pointless to infuse your weapons - you were typically better off with a +15 than with the split damage, unless you were doing a low level run? Since PvP is based on Soul Memory, there's no reason not to level your character up, so is infusing weapons worthwhile?

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
It's a lot more viable in DS2 than the original. The damage is still split but you can buff them now. I've beaten the game twice with lighting weapons and can't remember any particular scenario that gave me real trouble.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

-S- posted:

So I just bought SoTFS to burn through it before Dark Souls 3. Is DkS2 like 1 in that it was really pointless to infuse your weapons - you were typically better off with a +15 than with the split damage, unless you were doing a low level run? Since PvP is based on Soul Memory, there's no reason not to level your character up, so is infusing weapons worthwhile?

Infused weapons are better than non-infused early on, when enemy resists are low and your scaling probably isn't very good. After your first few lord souls, you'll probably reach a point at which pure physical is still better than plain infused, but is outclassed by infused+buffed. This lasts for most of the game and PvP mostly works along these lines too. For the DLC though, you're mostly better off with pure physical because even the base enemies tend to have very high elemental resists. Unlike the previous games though, you don't have to commit to infusions because if you change them later the only thing you lost is the infusion stone itself, and they're a dime a dozen.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

You need to take the weapon you're into consideration too. I did the DLCs on NG5+ the first time and I respecced into a smashy smash build to do it. Despite having very little faith I was actually doing more damage with infused great hammers than regular with pine resin, even on Elana and Sinh.

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

I've played vanilla DS2, but I just picked up SotFS today to try it out. Looking forward to experiencing a fresh take on the game. I'm still torn between doing a dual caestus run or a rapier / parrying shield guy. Decisions decisions.

beepstreet
Feb 7, 2005

Rapier in right hand, falchion in left is really fun

Zoph
Sep 12, 2005

Cross post w/ PC thread,

I'm trying to grind up Sunlight Medals to reach Rank 3, and I'm trying to figure out where the best place to go co-oping with a soul memory of 6.4 million. Any tips?

User Friendly
Jul 19, 2003

Zophar posted:

Cross post w/ PC thread,

I'm trying to grind up Sunlight Medals to reach Rank 3, and I'm trying to figure out where the best place to go co-oping with a soul memory of 6.4 million. Any tips?

I only started playing the game recently, so not an expert.
However on PS4 I'm frequently getting summoned at the DLC area boss Burnt Ivory King

Im at 4.5million soul memory though, so your mileage might vary...

Watrick
Mar 15, 2007

C:enter:###

Zophar posted:

Cross post w/ PC thread,

On the area select screen, areas with active players will be highlighted orange. Look out for those and get your sunbro on.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Ending up in Majula not quite sure where to go next is very thematically appropriate considering everyone is forgetting what they're doing in the first place.

I rocked dual maces when I played ds2 vanilla on the PS3 and now I'm doing dual caestus and it rules.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
After a while of dicking around in the world post-Nashandra / pre-NG+, putting off my last couple optional bosses and/or failing at getting consistent summons to help with Ancient Dragon and constantly dying to his fire repetitively (even with 100% Fire Def shield, just too much Stamina damage), I went to absolve some sins (NPC slaughtering, it's to be expected right?) and learned that it apparently also resets Ancient Dragon from his hostile state, and in turn I wasn't finding any summons again, not even NPC ones. Decided to go pick the fight again so I could at least bring Vengarl along later... And one-shotted the dragon solo. :black101:
This is that Dark Souls rush that it's all about. Now just to finish off Darklurker and hang it up for a while.

As an aside, I appreciate the thematic nature of players going on an NPC killing spree at the end of their journeys. Seems apt that, like so many NPCs before us, we eventually snap and just start murdering people. :v:

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

Watrick posted:

On the area select screen, areas with active players will be highlighted orange. Look out for those and get your sunbro on.
Oh, so that's what those mean. I've been wondering about that all game.

Anyway, I'm running around with a 50 INT/30 STR mostly-caster who has the Staff of Wisdom and a broadsword +10. Is there any point to infusing the broadsword with anything? I tried making it enchanted and the scaling bonus actually ended up worse despite my huge INT.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
I platted the original version of this game on the PS3 waaaay back when it came out. Just started SotFS on PS4 last night. I knew they added extra enemies, but... a loving ogre at the beginning of Forest of Fallen Giants? Welcome to Dark Souls, I guess. :stare:

I'd like to be a caster this time but I don't know what's good. I know they nerfed the poo poo out of lightning spear. Do sorceries still do decent damage? What about hexes?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

lol If you think that's bad wait til you get to Heides Tower

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
I've never had to actually fight that ogre unless I intentionally antagonized it. He's just chillin in the newbie zone, relaxing and rp'ing as local fauna or what have you.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
So, Darklurker is down, all bosses complete, only trophies I'm missing are the spell collections. Going to work on them I think before hanging this game up. So, questions/clarifications about Bell Keepers, to make sure I'm understanding everything correctly:

1. Doesn't matter which belfry (Luna or Sol) you join / participate at.
2. Wearing the ring is supposed to get you summoned to the nearest belfry right? I haven't been summoned at all yet, but have been invaded several times while in the belfry.
3. Killing a grey phantom invader while in a belfry is the same as being summoned to a host and killing them, in terms of ranking up.

Is that all correct? Is the best way to rank up just to hang out in the belfry waiting for invaders? There's an NPC phantom at Bell Sol that I seem to be able to just keep with me indefinitely and make all invaders face 1v2, which I haven't lost yet.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Merauder posted:

So, Darklurker is down, all bosses complete, only trophies I'm missing are the spell collections. Going to work on them I think before hanging this game up. So, questions/clarifications about Bell Keepers, to make sure I'm understanding everything correctly:

1. Doesn't matter which belfry (Luna or Sol) you join / participate at.
2. Wearing the ring is supposed to get you summoned to the nearest belfry right? I haven't been summoned at all yet, but have been invaded several times while in the belfry.
3. Killing a grey phantom invader while in a belfry is the same as being summoned to a host and killing them, in terms of ranking up.

Is that all correct? Is the best way to rank up just to hang out in the belfry waiting for invaders? There's an NPC phantom at Bell Sol that I seem to be able to just keep with me indefinitely and make all invaders face 1v2, which I haven't lost yet.

Pretty much. Best way to rank up is to sit in the belfry with the bellkeeper's ring on. You should sit in whichever belfry has orange borders around it in the warp screen because that one has more activity at your SM.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

The other option, if you're too high SL/SM to get consistent summons, is to go into Belfry Sol and try to kill that red phantom that looks like Predator. If you kill that, that also counts as 1 towards your total. Then just feather/bone back to the Sol bonfire, sit at it and go up again. I did that (while wearing the ring and getting occasional summons/invasions) and it made it go quickly.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
Worth noting if you summon the phantom to help you kill invaders you won't be able to invade even if you have the ring on.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
Got my Slab, guess I'm 1/3 the way to the Miracle reward.

More reward than anything else though is successfully tagging a fleeing host with the giant crossbows. :hist101:

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

...! posted:

I platted the original version of this game on the PS3 waaaay back when it came out. Just started SotFS on PS4 last night. I knew they added extra enemies, but... a loving ogre at the beginning of Forest of Fallen Giants? Welcome to Dark Souls, I guess. :stare:

I'd like to be a caster this time but I don't know what's good. I know they nerfed the poo poo out of lightning spear. Do sorceries still do decent damage? What about hexes?

I've played through as a primary caster about 6 times on the vanilla game (as a caster) and twice on Scholar, including doing all the DLC with a level 55/SM 135k guy. Hexes own, specifically multiple copies of Dark Orb, with blue missile stuff (sorceries) as your backup. Dark Orbs are quick enough to hit most things, and you can get a pretty reasonable stack of them. Throw in a faith healing spell and you're pretty set, as long as you're patient about whittling down some enemies from distance.

Here's me & my coop buddy BCRock killing Fume Knight at level 55 so you can get an idea of what sort of playstyle my 'casters are fun and good' recommendation is based on.
http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/Ether%20Frenzy/video/3672036 - had a couple very close calls towards the end of the fight.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Wow I remember the gutter being confusing but I got lost in it for like an hour last night and still couldn't find the door. I think vaguely recalling which way to go but not well actually made it worse. That place is confusing as gently caress.

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

All the best octopodes shoot fire and ice.

Merauder posted:

So, Darklurker is down, all bosses complete, only trophies I'm missing are the spell collections.

Just wanted to congratulate you, Darklurker is the last thing I have to beat, used a Dex/Faith warrior using a shield and spear, so probably not the best build for him. Probably just best to restart since I'm out of Soul Vessels

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

NESguerilla posted:

Wow I remember the gutter being confusing but I got lost in it for like an hour last night and still couldn't find the door. I think vaguely recalling which way to go but not well actually made it worse. That place is confusing as gently caress.

Ugh the gutter. I just hit door of Pharos and stopped for the night cause of the memories.

SpaceGoku
Jul 19, 2011

...! posted:

You can ignore that ogre if you don't get too close. But just wait until you get to Iron Keep. :parrot:

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

The Berzerker posted:

The other option, if you're too high SL/SM to get consistent summons, is to go into Belfry Sol and try to kill that red phantom that looks like Predator. If you kill that, that also counts as 1 towards your total. Then just feather/bone back to the Sol bonfire, sit at it and go up again. I did that (while wearing the ring and getting occasional summons/invasions) and it made it go quickly.

Eventually settled on doing this as the activity slowed down tonight, but got my ranks, and my spell. Next up, ranking up as a SunBro! I had a few Medals already, but need 30 to complete the rank up. Any best bosses to offer my cooperation as a high SL/SM dude? I tried the Old Iron King a few times, but no hosts seem to have done their diligence collecting all the Knights to assist, so it's a pain. Also tried to favor the orange-highlighted areas on the bonfire travel map, but doesn't really seem to be any more hits that anywhere else.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

Wow, these Heide knights sure are pissed that I killed Dragonrider. I never knew they were bros.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

For all the new enemy placements, I'm shocked that they've actually made certain areas considerably less assholish. The new shortcut in No-Man's Wharf is especially welcome.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Merauder posted:

Eventually settled on doing this as the activity slowed down tonight, but got my ranks, and my spell. Next up, ranking up as a SunBro! I had a few Medals already, but need 30 to complete the rank up. Any best bosses to offer my cooperation as a high SL/SM dude? I tried the Old Iron King a few times, but no hosts seem to have done their diligence collecting all the Knights to assist, so it's a pain. Also tried to favor the orange-highlighted areas on the bonfire travel map, but doesn't really seem to be any more hits that anywhere else.

I found Sinh to be a good source of medals. Between the host, you, and Transcendent Edde, Sinh's attention will be too divided to put serious pressure on anyone, so as long as the host isn't a complete dumbass it's a really easy fight. Just don't pack a low-durability weapon; if you have Santier's Spear I highly recommend it.

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity

Snak posted:

Personally I hope the torch is a weapon in it's own right like Bloodborne. Sure it's not as fun as a huge cleaver or a buzzsaw on a stick, but the Hunter's Torch was pretty satisfying to smack stuff with and do some proper damage.

Dual-wielding torches will be the new double cestus. Just you loving watch. :supaburn:

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

limited posted:

Personally I hope the torch is a weapon in it's own right like Bloodborne. Sure it's not as fun as a huge cleaver or a buzzsaw on a stick, but the Hunter's Torch was pretty satisfying to smack stuff with and do some proper damage.

Dual-wielding torches will be the new double cestus. Just you loving watch. :supaburn:

Only if the special L2 when you're power stancing torches is the flail the torch hollows do in dark souls 1.

Winkie01
Nov 28, 2004
Doing SotFS is there a guy as good as Epicnamebro with the walkthroughs of the DLC?

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
What is the trigger condition to get the golden dragon knights to not attack you at the Dragon Shrine? I'm burning through NG+ right now and they never attacked me before, so I'm confused.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

AFAIK don't attack them and don't summon help

• Locked thread