Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Austin S
Jul 2, 2005
This will be my first release-day purchase since Dragon's Dogma.
On the spectrum between Dickwraith and Sunbro I'm squarely on the Sun side, thought I don't mind indulging in a bit of righteous vengeance now and then.
I'll have to resist making a 'jack of all trades' character from the start since I will die to invaders (and the environment) regardless of my build.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Austin S
Jul 2, 2005
The threshold for fall damage seems very low this time around... an unfortunate degree of realism. I wonder if the Agility stat ties into that.

I took a photo of the statue/plaque that counts worldwide deaths. Won't stay at zero much longer, that's for sure.

Capsaicin posted:

Does anyone know where in inventory keys are stored?
There are more item category icons than it displays at once; keep pressing right to show spells, minerals, and keys.

Austin S fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Mar 11, 2014

Austin S
Jul 2, 2005

Harminoff posted:

Anyone else bummed by no rag-dolls? As annoying as they were it's pretty sad to see them not in a souls game.
Super bummed. I liked leaving a trail of bodies as a reminder of where I had and had not yet explored a new area. I could understand bosses exploding in a cloud of sparkles but the regular mooks couldn't be that much of an obstruction.

I'm glad the overall ambient lighting is closer to Anor Londo than to Valley of Defilement. Praise the Sun!

Austin S
Jul 2, 2005

GreenBuckanneer posted:

It just changes your gender if you decide 5 seconds later after character creation that you want to be a girl.
I thought you were kidding, and that it teleports you once you meet certain requirements, like that convoluted Darkwraith covenant in Dark Souls The First.
My fault for starting with an androgynous face/body design because anime.

Austin S
Jul 2, 2005
I think... the servers are up!

Scheduled maintenance on the 13th but that's no surprise.

Austin S
Jul 2, 2005
Over three thousand deaths worldwide already.

The back side of the monument can be examined as well, though it's currently unreadable.

Austin S
Jul 2, 2005
Message customization is amazing now. You can put two phrases in one message, and connect them with a conjunction!

Austin S
Jul 2, 2005
YESSS my first message rating! Instant minor health recovery.

I also rescind my earlier gripe about dead mooks. After the tutorial they persist... you just can't kick them around.

Austin S
Jul 2, 2005
Yes, but there's a difference between Leave and Discard. The first places it on the ground, the second flat-out deletes it.

edit: Be wary of above , Keep moving!

Austin S
Jul 2, 2005
Contrary to popular belief, you CAN go into first-person/zoom mode with crossbows! You simply have to be 2-handing it first, then press either shoulder button corresponding to the offhand. You even crouch while doing so, for those concerned about hitboxes.

Speaking of two-handing, you can choose to two-hand your left-hand slot by holding the button instead of tapping it.

In case the utility of having two slots for bolts/arrows isn't clear, it's one for each shoulder button.

More slots for everything and a higher threshold for fatrolling... we're so spoiled now.

Austin S
Jul 2, 2005
Just got invaded, while hollow and standing next to the bonfire blow the bridge in Huntsman's Woods.

I survived a Fire Tempest, but not the follow-up flurry of blade swings.

Lost the 10k I lost to the Chariot. Totally worth it.

Austin S
Jul 2, 2005
Travelling to another world to assist an Apostle of Blue in distress... :woop:
I was pulled to Huntsman's Copse all the way from the Valley, but by the time the loading screen finished, the invader had already won. :negative:

Austin S
Jul 2, 2005
Welp, there goes 100k lost in a bloodstain, with a single Manikin between me and retrieval. Was not expecting three poison daggers in rapid succession, and I was too close to the bonfire for resting there to be an option. I knew about the 3k Ring of rear end Saving in the Wharf, but figured I'd pick it up later. What were the odds I'd die twice in a row, in the same room? :suicide:

I'm still two days behind the thread, but if it's been confirmed that you only need to beat the Old Iron King for the blacksmith's daughter to sell unlimited titanite shards (and all the bosses on the most direct route, obviously) I was thinking I could get a relatively low SL dude (38 currently) that far and start setting up an elaborate trading system via co-op. Or just disperse vast quantities of shards to the masses, like some kind of Crystal Lizard Overlord.

Austin S
Jul 2, 2005

Tamayachi posted:

I believe you can't drop upgrade items for other players.

Random Stranger posted:

That's how you get her to sell things, but you can't drop crafting items or covenant tokens.
BLARGH! I should have known. If they were droppable, people would be asking each other to drop stones for them by now. At least we can still drop rings, cracked eye stones and generic soul-giving consumables.

Ah well, back to hiding amongst the rats. At least now there's no pressure to avoid leveling up for the sake of gifting newbies...

Austin S
Jul 2, 2005
Undead Crypt cleverness/assholery: The torch-carrying hollow is non-hostile even when struck, but kill it anyway. It will slowly follow you as far as you let it, and if it gets too close to Agdayne, he and his Wardens will go hostile and you'll need to pay Cromwell 1000x(Your SL) to undo it.

Dragon Shrine silliness: When you first meet the Ancient Dragon, you can do a running jump onto his tail and climb a short ways. It's fun!
If you're fighting him but aren't expecting to win, you can jump onto his back feet. If you're balanced on his toes when he decides to use his flying fire breath, you could get launched into the stratosphere. Netcode strangeness makes his feet clip into the floor just before jumping, so this could happen to you by accident - which is how I first discovered it. I saw nothing but sky for a full 20 seconds before YOU DIED came up.

Austin S
Jul 2, 2005

Lotish posted:

This game has some of the neatest touches you're never going to see playing normally.

drat straight. After slaying King Vendrick, If you visit Queen Nashandra on her throne before where you fought Double Dragonriders, there's a bit of new dialogue. If memory serves it's just one line, "Drangleic has fallen."

On a side note, it took me a while to realize that you fight The Pursuer and The Giant Lord in the exact same place.

Austin S
Jul 2, 2005

FrickenMoron posted:

Anyone on ps3 with roughly 1.5m soul memory wants to be a bro and hand me over a spare avelyn? :(

My SL105/1.15SM Sorceress just found an Avelyn, so I can totally come through for you, probably.

Austin S
Jul 2, 2005

DoctaFun posted:

I'm having trouble reaching a certain loot soul thing in between Grave of the Saints and The Gutter.
(snip)

If memory serves, that's the Disc Chime, a chime that doubles as a shield. Predictably, it's not fantastic in either category. If you can at least land on the platform but keep rolling off, try a plunge attack after a running jump to stick the landing.

Austin S
Jul 2, 2005

Seiren posted:

Speaking of weapon infusions, I've been playing around with, and found uses for Enchanted infusions. I'm sorry if something similar has been posted, but the thread is seriously 1600+ posts since I last looked and I'm not reading through all of it just to see if this information exists. This wiki does not seem to have the more obscure bits information I have to share, although other sources might. So here goes...!
Thank you for this. Much like mundane the utility of this infusion must vary wildly with different weapons, as when I Enchanted my skinny limp-wristed mage's Spider Silk the base damage went down a tiny bit. (This is with just meeting the stat reqs to wield it) Switching to Magic provided a modest boost above base. So how much must one invest in INT before Enchanted outweighs Magic?

I love resins as a concept but I'd rather not rely on them for then my SM would inflate as my SL stagnates.

Austin S
Jul 2, 2005

Beard Yawn posted:

Is there any cool leg armor that is just underwear or something approximating it? I hate that From has enabled me to live my Dark Souls punchmans dreams while simultaneously taking away my sweet, sweet Balder Leggings.
On my ladymage, Creighton's Chain Leggings look like huge gold-embroidered tighty-whiteys on top of fishnet stockings... from a distance, at least.

Austin S
Jul 2, 2005

Seiren posted:

I did some science. Some real research on this, because I got curious. I hosed with Enchanted for a good, long time, and I've come to the conclusion that the Enchanted infusion is either broken somehow, or is simply worthless. Knowing FROM, I figured there was some sort of secret to it, and there might still be, but my testing revealed nothing except for some interesting facts.
:techno:
So in short? Enchanted is terrible with a capital SUCK. It is a trap, don't use it ever. It is probably broken and it should probably be fixed, someday. If your stats are just barely meeting the weapon requirements, Raw will undoubtedly out-perform it. If you want to be a joker and use a literal joke-weapon, Mundane-ify the Ladle, as even a 6 in your lowest stat is stronger than the +40 a 99 INT Enchanted one will net you.

Well, crap. Thanks again for your noble sacrifice. Guess it's Raw for me wherever additional damage types don't quite fit, regardless of my build. Someday, my prince INTfusion will come! :sparkles:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Austin S
Jul 2, 2005
Incoming :words: for DEX weapon lovers:

I've been experimenting with standard dual-wielding (not power-stancing) thrusting swords and discovered that if at least one of the pair is "unique" (Spider's Silk, Ricard's, et al) you can chain pokes faster by alternating L1/R1 compared to spamming one button or alternating with two "standard" thrusting swords. This technique burns less stamina as well!
When alternating swings between any thrusting sword and a non-great weapon, the delay after the slash/strike is visibly shorter compared to the delay after a thrust.

• Locked thread