Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
If a team did this map, it is a fantastic achievement. Like the signs and store fronts are the way I remember, although I went to Disney World when I was a kid and not Land, and the titular mountain of Sploosh set piece makes me jealous that my L4D2 group is only on 360. If an individual made this, I would go as far as to say that level of work is a little off putting. Not in a sinister way, though. I guess it's like a perfect cosplay, absolutely amazing looking and people would pay you ungodly amounts of money for you to do it for them, but the amount of time and effort to mirror something like that for free is a little odd to me.

Although I'm following more LP's than I'd like to admit at the moment, so maybe I'm not the best judge of how time or effort should be spent

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Dooky Dingo posted:

Besides, I recanted. I said I was sorry and I have bad opinions. :shepicide:

Bad opinions, good videos, don't quit your day job kid :v:

Somthing i'm not quite sure of is how somthing like this is fine, yet a kid can't make a map of his school to play in Doom or Quake or whatever it as back in the day and he gets arrested for it.

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

Gym badge day is a VERY dangerous day!

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Somthing i'm not quite sure of is how somthing like this is fine, yet a kid can't make a map of his school to play in Doom or Quake or whatever it as back in the day and he gets arrested for it.

That's actually quite an interesting point. Obviously, if some kid had made a L4D2 map of his exact school, I'm sure there would be some parents who get a little jittery. So, what makes the difference?
Is it the age of the person making the mod? Is it how specific a location is? Is it the intentions of the map itself?
At what line does something go from "Wow, that's really intricate and cool!" to "Someone please dial the police"?

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Don't quit your day job, kid.

HAHA, jokes on you! I don't HAVE a day job!
I've been unemployed since December. :smith:

Dooky Dingo fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Apr 14, 2014

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Well at least you got your priorities straight, i wouldn't know about these mods if it wasen't for you being unemployed and LP'ing them for me!

Then again i'm not sure how soon after Columbine the "kid making a deathmatch map out of his school" thing was so maybe it was just a kneejerk reaction sort of thing?

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

Making a map of your school or house is a common first project for mappers. It seems to be more driven by wanting to make art of the world around you, rather than being frustrated or obsessed. It's a lot easier to recreate a location you're familiar with than making something from scratch. You get instant feedback if the proportions or scale are off, so it gets much easier to make an accurate copy.

Around the time of Columbine there weren't that many games you could be creative with either, and Quake and Half-Life had relatively easy to use mapping tools available. Nowadays kids would be more likely to recreate their school in Minecraft or The Sims.

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

Rectus posted:

Around the time of Columbine there weren't that many games you could be creative with either, and Quake and Half-Life had relatively easy to use mapping tools available. Nowadays kids would be more likely to recreate their school in Minecraft or The Sims.

I agree but, generally speaking, neither of those two games have you blasting away at human analogues with automatic shotguns in semi-realistic first person perspective.
Granted, minecraft is in first person, and you do have combat, but it is not NEARLY the same style or focus of the game that the carnage in L4D2 promotes.

And also, for me personally, I believe that violent video games do NOT promote violent behavior. I do believe, however, that violent people will naturally gravitate towards violent video games and will occasionally express themselves therein.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
Oh hey Disney! I went there a ton as a highschooler because my parents got year passes. At the time I was learning statistics, so I timed the rides and figured out the loading times, ride times, and loading times for different times of day and year (plus handicapped loading) So I could figure out if there was something unusual going on with a ride, etc. So I can sympathize with the level of detail, just because I found it was interesting and an excellent side project to reinforce what I was studying.

Oh, for the timelord argument, I would argue there are 4. You can't forget the doctor's daughter, same DNA, just reconfigured!

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

Donkringel posted:

Oh, for the timelord argument, I would argue there are 4. You can't forget the doctor's daughter, same DNA, just reconfigured!

Kreslev does not have a SomethingAwful account, but if he did, he would totally fistbump you for remembering something that he completely forgot until later!
Also, Jesus, you guys are :spergin:

Edit: Rectus, unless you REALLY want to have your name credited on a video as "The rear end in NASA", I recommend you change your Steam name BACK to Rectus. :colbert:

Dooky Dingo fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Apr 18, 2014

DeliciousCookie
Mar 4, 2011
Funnily enough, this answered a question I was thinking of asking which was wondering if yall did custom maps. I rather enjoyed watching how it went and the discussions it created. Would love to see more custom maps like this shown off.

That said, I can think of one or two major reasons beyond the stated why someone would do a map of this detail. First, its simply easier to recreate something than it is to create it entirely from scratch. Its one reason why many artists draw inspiration from things they see or look up stuff, doubly so for modelers. And secondly, something to this level of detail would be amazing for a portfolio. Its not uncommon for modders to put their work on display so that any prospective jobs have a better idea of how well they can do. And its usually a really good idea. From creating your own game to simply making maps or models, it shows a level of dedication and skill that not many people would have otherwise.

Hell, to use another example, I believe Cry of Fear was made using numerous locations as reference for the creator in order to make his own game, including I believe the guy's school if I'm remembering properly.

As for timelords, I believe River Song is more of a Proto-timelord rather than a real one. She shares qualities and a beginning similar to how timelords began, but isn't as far along the evolutionary chain I think? Or at least thats how I understood it.

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

Dooky Dingo posted:

Edit: Rectus, unless you REALLY want to have your name credited on a video as "The rear end in NASA", I recommend you change your Steam name BACK to Rectus. :colbert:

Well, I'm getting really tempted to just leave it like that, but I'll change it. If you're playing my campaigns, I have a super-secret testing version of the newest one available.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
Oh, if you folks ever want a guess commentator, I will volunteer.

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

:siren::ducksiren:NEW VIDEO DAY!:ducksiren::siren:
Episode 7: Diescraper: Redux
Come watch Jotsam, Kreslev and myself stumble through the Tower of Terror!

DeliciousCookie posted:

Portfolio Padding
This is actually a really good point and I hadn't thought of that. Kudos to you, good goon.

Rectus posted:

Well, I'm getting really tempted to just leave it like that, but I'll change it. If you're playing my campaigns, I have a super-secret testing version of the newest one available.
Go on...:raise:

Donkringel posted:

Oh, if you folks ever want a guess commentator, I will volunteer.
So noted. Fair warning, however, Jotsam is EXTREMELY xenophobic. Seriously.

Dooky Dingo fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Apr 20, 2014

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

Dooky Dingo posted:

Episode 6: Diescraper: Redux
Come watch Jotsam, Kreslev and myself stumble through the Tower of Terror!

Hehe, admit it, how many times did you guys wipe on the helipad?

I've got a version of my other campaign Plan B with a lot of new updated content. It still needs some testing before a public release, but it *shouldn't* have any too bad bugs. Add me on Steam if you're interested in trying it.

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

Rectus posted:

Hehe, admit it, how many times did you guys wipe on the helipad?

Everything you see was done in ONE take. :smugbert:

Jotsam and I did die on our research run due to wind gusts though...

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

Alright, bad news, kids. :smith:
So, Kreslev's computer went tits-up last night. He was able to reformat and get his machine chugging along again, but he MAY have lost the footage for the video this week.
That being said, there may not be a video tomorrow at the usual time, but one is coming. (eventually)
I'm terribly sorry for the inconvenience this will cause to all five of you reading the thread and I strongly encourage you to go back and re-watch some of those videos that you may have not watched the whole way through! (Yeah, we keep track of bounce rate on Youtube analytics, you jerks.)

:siren:UPDATE, GOONS!:siren:
Kreslev recovered the Raw, but not the edited version. He is redoing it now. You'll get the video when you get it. :dealwithit:

Dooky Dingo fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Apr 25, 2014

Chobayt
Oct 9, 2012
The Curse of LPs strikes again!
Good to hear that not everything was lost though.
I've been lurk-watching this for awhile now and even though it's not super huge it's still fun to watch. Keep up the good work guys!

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

Technical difficulties :thumbsup:

Chobayt posted:

The Curse of LPs strikes again!
Good to hear that not everything was lost though.
I've been lurk-watching this for awhile now and even though it's not super huge it's still fun to watch. Keep up the good work guys!
Thanks for the encouragement. We've been talking amongst ourselves for a while, trying to figure out what exactly we could be doing different to drive interest.
The conclusion that we've come to, however, is that we enjoy doing the videos and we are being true to ourselves, so everything else will just fall in line after perseverance, right? :shepface:

Narahari
Apr 12, 2009
Wrong. Large bribes to Geop are clearly the way to go, preferably in pun form.

Sad to hear about the technical difficulties, as I have enjoyed the videos so far.

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

Episode 8: Disturbing Salivation
Thanks for waiting guys. The new one has finally arrived.

Narahari posted:

Wrong. Large bribes to Geop are clearly the way to go, preferably in pun form.
Large bribes to Geop in the form of puns, you say?
Well, that plan just... ROCKS. :c00lbutt:

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

Episode 9: Drop Dead Gorges

Well folks, it's been a whole week and the thread has had zero replies.
I'm starting to think I smell bad or something...
Almost like I'm made of...Dooky. :shepface:

ArkInBlack
Mar 22, 2013
That actually looks really fun to just get lost and wander around in and see what's there, thanks for showing it off y'all

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

ArkInBlack posted:

That actually looks really fun to just get lost and wander around in and see what's there, thanks for showing it off y'all
Oh, yeah, it's pretty :krad:
Except for, you know, the whole army of zombies trying to bash your skull in, but whatevs.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

Just chiming in to say i'm really enjoying this. The Splash Mountain episode was pretty great, it has to be said :v:

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

This campaign had some very nice color use and architecture. I'm not a huge fan of the fuzzy post-processing, though it makes it kind of look like some sort of painting.

Even though it's a Versus campaign, it could use some sort of direction to what your goal is, event if it's something small like being able to see the finale cliff from the start.

DeliciousCookie
Mar 4, 2011

Personally, I'm of the complete opposite opinion on this map from what I saw. The map looked a bit too confusing and the waypoints seemed a bit far between in some areas making it confusing on where to go. It doesn't help that it takes a completely different design philosophy in regards to guiding the player. In the first L4D, light was generally used to guide the player into knowing where to go. Lights shining on an area, a lamp or whatever to display which direction you had to travel. In this, it seems they rely on either foreknowledge or players making a guess on where to go which just seems like bad design to me.

With that said, the multiple paths and the confusing nature also I think would make the game a bit more interesting Vs wise. One of the problems I feel with Vs is not only do you know where to ambush/be ambushed from, but the linear path means you always know where exactly to go to rush through it. It tends to be a bit.. boring? To me when it basically becomes a mad dash to the finish line without any exploration that most Vs seems to go for. I do feel however they could have made things a bit more obvious on what path to take, or at least placed more waypoints. That area where you had to climb ontop of the buss is a prime example. They should have either made the ramp close or in plain sight the moment you walked through the door, or simply put some more arrows to guide you in the right direction first.

I love watching these custom maps and such though. Its pretty hilarious watching yall go through em.

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

DeliciousCookie posted:

Personally, I'm of the complete opposite opinion on this map from what I saw. The map looked a bit too confusing and the waypoints seemed a bit far between in some areas making it confusing on where to go. It doesn't help that it takes a completely different design philosophy in regards to guiding the player. In the first L4D, light was generally used to guide the player into knowing where to go. Lights shining on an area, a lamp or whatever to display which direction you had to travel. In this, it seems they rely on either foreknowledge or players making a guess on where to go which just seems like bad design to me.
You know, that's a really interesting point. It's sort of taken for granted that a game, these days, will sort of railroad you into a set path or have you forced into a certain direction. More open games, such as "The Last of Us" (Which you should all go watch Geop's awesome LP of it if you haven't), have a tendency to let you explore or roam more freely and there is a natural progression as to WHERE you are supposed to go. Usually, anyway.
However, for a game like L4D, in which the "mad dash" isn't even so much a recommendation as it is a requirement for higher level gameplay, can a developer rely on such subtle cues to the gamer? Or, perhaps, a less subtle but justifiable reason to go a certain direction, such as an oncoming flood or etc?
In my personal opinion, I'm not as big a fan of VS. as Kreslev and Jotsam are. I like to explore maps, kill all the zombies, find all the goodies, etc. You simply CAN'T do that in VS. and I think that levels suffer for this.
For example, look at a dedicated VS. map like blood orange. :barf: One of my all time least favorite maps and it is STRICTLY because, from a design perspective, it is ONLY intended to be a VS. map.

Rectus posted:

Stuff and things
:argh:RECTUS!
(but seriously, you're pretty spot on. That finale was basically a maze and if you venture anywhere even remotely close to an edge, you are dead.)

Dooky Dingo fucked around with this message at 22:46 on May 10, 2014

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

Episode 10: Creature Jockey Infestation Mutation

Howdy folks. You already know what the deal is. I hope you enjoy. :cheers:

Narahari
Apr 12, 2009
Not very far in, but the obvious answer is a derby of jockies. Enjoying the videos.

ArchWizard
Mar 27, 2009

There's the Roy I know and love.

I couldn't stop wondering why there's a mod that turns Zoey into the guy from Green Day :pwn:

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

ArchWizard posted:

I couldn't stop wondering why there's a mod that turns Zoey into the guy from Green Day :pwn:

Hey, don't kink shame. <:reject:>

McGwee
May 1, 2012

Let me inform you about women's restrooms. Their are sometimes couches in nicer restrooms (hotels and such), they would most likely be for breastfeeding and what not, but also lazy bitches. And as someone who cleans and cleaned women's restrooms for years, they are not always cleaner. The stories I could tell you :stare:

Oh and another great mod. I do enjoy your videos.

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

McGwee posted:

Let me inform you about women's restrooms. Their are sometimes couches in nicer restrooms (hotels and such), they would most likely be for breastfeeding and what not, but also lazy bitches. And as someone who cleans and cleaned women's restrooms for years, they are not always cleaner. The stories I could tell you :stare:

Oh and another great mod. I do enjoy your videos.
It is a universally known but generally ignored Truth that Women are just as gross as men. :biotruths:

Also, thanks!

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

Guess what day it is, goons?
Episode 11: Left 4 Mario

I swear to God, this entire level was cursed. First of all, this was not the first time we had to record this level. DXTORY messed up the first time. This time, Bulldog's Steam connection decided that it HATED Kreslev and anything to do with him. Third, my headset literally fell apart right before recording.
I hope all of you enjoy my pain. :shepicide:

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

Hey guys, so I had a question for you.
Would you like to keep the videos to once a week or would you prefer one campaign/ 2-3 videos per week?
It's really just a matter of personal taste,I suppose, but we are trying to find that "magic mix" that the most people enjoy. :thumbsup:

Narahari
Apr 12, 2009
I think your general format works better with the once a week thing, but I would probably just watch the full thing once a week (or every couple weeks if I"m busy).

DeliciousCookie
Mar 4, 2011
Personally, I'd like more videos since I enjoy watching yall play, but in the end it should be whatever is more convenient for you.

Nuramor
Dec 13, 2012

Most Amewsing Prinny Ever!

Narahari posted:

I think your general format works better with the once a week thing, but I would probably just watch the full thing once a week (or every couple weeks if I"m busy).

I agree with this. Especially since you tend to go on tangents talking about whatever, dividing the video into pieces would just cause more confusion about what is going on and where you're at, especially on custom maps.

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

Okay. We'll keep the format as it is.
I suppose I was just concerned with bounce rate. We feared that people simply didn't want to sit through a 45 minute episode in one go.
However, the thread has spoken and SO IT SHALL BE.:cheers:

Gammatron
May 19, 2009
You've probably played it already, but I thought the Kokiri Forest campaign was pretty neat. http://www.gamemaps.com/details/2121

There was even an NES Legend of Zelda Dungeon map for Left 4 Dead 1 that was quite well done. I don't think it had been ported over to L4D2 yet however.

I'm enjoying your guys' work - it's nice when LPers know the game inside and out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

Gammatron posted:

You've probably played it already, but I thought the Kokiri Forest campaign was pretty neat. http://www.gamemaps.com/details/2121

There was even an NES Legend of Zelda Dungeon map for Left 4 Dead 1 that was quite well done. I don't think it had been ported over to L4D2 yet however.

I'm enjoying your guys' work - it's nice when LPers know the game inside and out.

Yeah, that looks pretty cool, but we are only on l4d2, so no joy until they put it up on the workshop.

Also, THANKS! We love when people enjoy stuff that we do. I crave affirmation and affection. I'm not so sure about the whole "know the game inside and out" thing, though...

• Locked thread