Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

Gym badge day is a VERY dangerous day!

DeliciousCookie posted:

It seems I'm in the minority, but I found the increase of specials to be kind of interesting? It reminded me how a well organized Vs match would go where every special would pounce at once basically. Made things seem a lot more tense when it appeared like you could get completely wiped out at any moment.
I'm probably in the minority on this one as well, but I'm really not that big a fan of versus.
It usually devolves into this huge :circlefap: of either people being enormous trolls or just showing up and rolling a server. The only truly effective way to play the versus mode is to blitz like your lives depend on it, as they sort of do, and just completely abandon all pretense of team work and just keep running.
In other words, no exploration, no atmosphere, no fun. JUST RUN.
Not really my cup of tea. :wotwot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
How does it feel to be so wrong?

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

The Door Frame posted:

How does it feel to be so wrong?

Jotsam and Kreslev LOVE Vs., so... It feels pretty terrible. :smithicide:

Kobold eBooks
Mar 5, 2007

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AN OPEN PALM SLAM A CARTRIDGE IN THE SUPER FAMICOM. ITS E-ZEAO AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE THE MAIN CHARACTER, CORPORAL FALCOM.
Versus mode in L4D is hot garbage and I won't hear any opinions to the contrary without thinking they're some kind of elaborate ruse. :colbert:

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

:siren::ducksiren:NEW VIDEO DAY!:ducksiren::siren:
Episode 23: Middle School

Vs. mode is just as terrible as this mod. :colbert:
It's really bad. :smithicide:

Black Wombat
Nov 25, 2007

Every puzzle
has an answer.
I've found that Vs. mode can be really fun, IF the teams are relatively balanced in terms of skill level. And since almost all the people that still play L4D2 Vs. have been doing it a long time, that's unlikely to happen.

Yeah, I've had my whole team wiped within sight of the starting saferoom door. That's a good feelin' right there.

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

Black Wombat posted:

Yeah, I've had my whole team wiped within sight of the starting saferoom door. That's a good feelin' right there.
The very best is when a whole group just sits in the saferoom for, like, 20 minutes. Apparently, they think that if they wait long enough, it will transport them to the end with a perfect score.
I hate versus. :frogout:

bodz5150
Jun 29, 2005

I'm the only muthafukin Jedi to defeat the muthafukin Emperor! Not even Yoda pulled that shit off! I'm tired of that bitch Skywalker gettin all the muthafukin credit!

Dooky Dingo posted:

The very best is when a whole group just sits in the saferoom for, like, 20 minutes. Apparently, they think that if they wait long enough, it will transport them to the end with a perfect score.
I hate versus. :frogout:

What in the world could a team find to occupy themselves for 20 minutes in a safe room? I'm ready to run as soon as everyone has grabbed their poo poo. Do they do a book discussion? :circlefap:

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

It's just a trolling effort.
I assume the point is to stay in the safe room, a very defensible location due to unlimited ammo and only one very narrow method of entry, and hold out for as long as possible with the hopes that the other team will quit and you will win by "default".
It is stupid and time consuming and, honestly, annoying. It is, however, a great time for spitters to shine and one of the reasons why Valve patched spitter goo to damage players even if they are standing on something over top of the affected area. Spitters are the only semi-reliable means to flush them out.
Short story, people just want to play VS. Survival mode.
Or, like you said, :circlefap:

bodz5150
Jun 29, 2005

I'm the only muthafukin Jedi to defeat the muthafukin Emperor! Not even Yoda pulled that shit off! I'm tired of that bitch Skywalker gettin all the muthafukin credit!
I don't think I could make myself wait in a safe room for a long period to "win" by default. I'm in a multiplayer game to go out and shoot the poo poo out of people/things. I don't get the desire to do something you describe. I guess being an old man (43) who plays online games for fun, I'll never get your youngins ideas of fun.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

bodz5150 posted:

I don't think I could make myself wait in a safe room for a long period to "win" by default. I'm in a multiplayer game to go out and shoot the poo poo out of people/things. I don't get the desire to do something you describe. I guess being an old man (43) who plays online games for fun, I'll never get your youngins ideas of fun.

I would've killed everything in the safe room before the other team had a chance to quit. I have no patience for cheesing

bodz5150
Jun 29, 2005

The Door Frame posted:

I would've killed everything in the safe room before the other team had a chance to quit. I have no patience for cheesing

Exactly. I join multiplayer games to have an interactive experience. I play a lot of popular multiplayer games to enjoy going out and beating an objective with or without friends. Sitting in the safe room of a game is not "fun". It's being cowardly bastards who can't accept dying in multiplayer.
Other multiplayer games I play are Halo and Call of Duty,in which I die within seconds of spawning in Deathmatch games. I do better in team based multiplyer games like Capture the Flag, etc. Long story short, I want a experience that will entertain me regardless of my ability to stay alive. Cheesing multiplayer is not fun.

Mr. Soop
Feb 18, 2011

Bonsai Guy

Dooky Dingo posted:

I know, guys. I'm sorry, it's just that the mod didn't function correctly, so you basically sat through a normal campaign with more special infected. Nothing to really write home about.
I promise this week will be more entertaining.
Because this is MY WEEK. :wiggle:

You're a liar, and we're going to put Rochelle in charge of this thread from now on. You're fired. :frogout:

I don't think anything could have made this mod "better". At best it's just something you might try out once just for kicks before turning the other infected back on after 5 minutes of play. It's pretty half-assed at the end of the day. :sigh:

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

Mr. Soop posted:

You're a liar, and we're going to put Rochelle in charge of this thread from now on. You're fired. :frogout:

I don't think anything could have made this mod "better". At best it's just something you might try out once just for kicks before turning the other infected back on after 5 minutes of play. It's pretty half-assed at the end of the day. :sigh:
drat, you caught me. Yeah, it kind of happened like this. So, Kreslev has moved as well as started school again AS WELL AS working a pretty hectic job at a TV station, so he just doesn't have a ton of free time here lately.
That being said, the mod I chose is pretty long, but really good, but he just didn't have the time to commit to sit down and do it. Which is really sad. :( We will get to it soon though, promise.
Also, you know why you can't put Rochelle in charge of the thread don't you? Obviously it's because she's not a real person.

As for the mod itself? All of these "---- School" mods are interesting thought experiments by the creator, but not really interesting in practice. In essence, there is a reason why there are the infected that are there: balance. When you lose that balance by taking something away, the game becomes, usually, less fun.
I'm a fan of additive mods, not subtractive.

bodz5150 posted:

I do better in team based multiplyer games like Capture the Flag, etc. Long story short, I want a experience that will entertain me regardless of my ability to stay alive. Cheesing multiplayer is not fun.
You should play Battlefield. :iia::dice:

Hrvstmn31
Aug 2, 2014

You did what in your cup?
I'm a little confused on this but the mod only got rid of jockeys, chargers, and lady boomers? Also while I like hard rain I though you didn't like gas tank finales.

bodz5150
Jun 29, 2005

Dooky Dingo posted:

You should play Battlefield. :iia::dice:

I should. I liked Battlefield: Bad Company multiplayer. I just can't do PC (lovely laptop)and I've heard 360 Battlefield sucks.

Mr. Soop
Feb 18, 2011

Bonsai Guy

Dooky Dingo posted:

Also, you know why you can't put Rochelle in charge of the thread don't you? Obviously it's because she's not a real person.

Um, excuse me Dingo, but I believe she's called an "NPC." :smuggo:

Tell Kreslev to quit his job school in order to just do L4D2 mod LPs full time. That's much more important than all those bills to pay or his education or whatever else he has going on in his life. :colbert:

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

It's not like he has technowife to support

The Door Frame fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Aug 17, 2014

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

bodz5150 posted:

360 Battlefield sucks.
This is wrong, but get a PS3-4 and the problem resolves itself.

Mr. Soop posted:

Tell Kreslev to quit his job school in order to just do L4D2 mod LPs full time. That's much more important than all those bills to pay or his education or whatever else he has going on in his life. :colbert:
This is right. :colbert:

The Door Frame posted:

It's not like he has technowife to support
This is technically wrong, though Mrs. Kreslev has other means of persuasion. Usually some form of severe pain and screaming...:choco:

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

Episode 24: The Damned Things

Today, we shoot ALL THE DAMNED THINGS! :black101:

bodz5150
Jun 29, 2005

Dooky Dingo posted:

Episode 24: The Damned Things

Today, we shoot ALL THE DAMNED THINGS! :black101:

I don't remember seeing it in the thread so far, but has any of the mod creators contacted you about your LP of their maps?

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

bodz5150 posted:

I don't remember seeing it in the thread so far, but has any of the mod creators contacted you about your LP of their maps?
Rectus! :v:

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

Invisible Tank seems like a terrifying prospect :stare:

Mr. Soop
Feb 18, 2011

Bonsai Guy

T1g4h posted:

Invisible Tank seems like a terrifying prospect :stare:

Good lord, yes. This mod actually did a good job of not being terribly boring. It seems to keep you more on your toes for obvious reasons, but like the guys said in closing it's probably a lot more tense for people who don't just marathon to the end of each level.

Congrats on breaking your boring streak, guys. Guess we won't have to put Rochelle in charge after all. Maybe. :cheers:

Lateinshowing
Oct 10, 2012
Fun Shoe
What do you guys think about a survival map being thrown out there? Helm's Deep Survival has always been a clusterfuck and I'd love to see some folks bash there head- I mean complete it. Also claims to have an ending.... hope you guys get there.

Also there's an Isengard Troll skin for the Tank you should download. I don't think there are any other skins though.

So Campaign/Map to download: -Helms Deep- Reborn by SeriouS_Samurai
Skins to download: Isengard Troll for the Tank.

Both of these from Steam Workshop.

Hrvstmn31
Aug 2, 2014

You did what in your cup?
This mod makes me think of that mode in REmake that made everything invisible. You guys should do that one day.

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

Hrvstmn31 posted:

This mod makes me think of that mode in REmake that made everything invisible. You guys should do that one day.

In that vein, this mod would probably have been more interesting if it made the common infected invisible as well.

Mr. Soop
Feb 18, 2011

Bonsai Guy
With all the Jurassic Park references you guys make, I'd figure I'd post that John Hammond has died.

You guys should do another dinosaur related mod in his honor. He would have wanted it that way. :unsmith:

bodz5150
Jun 29, 2005

Mr. Soop posted:

With all the Jurassic Park references you guys make, I'd figure I'd post that John Hammond has died.

You guys should do another dinosaur related mod in his honor. He would have wanted it that way. :unsmith:

I second this. There must be a ton of great dinosaur mods out there!
A quick Google search tells me this is impossible. :smith:

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

bodz5150 posted:

I second this. There must be a ton of great dinosaur mods out there!
A quick Google search tells me this is impossible. :smith:

Alright, so, here's the situation.
As of this exact moment, there is a definite lack of dinosaur-themed L4D2 mods, barring the Raptors.
HOWEVER, we WILL be giving Mr. Hammond a fitting tribute as soon as we can. Please be patient.
On that note, Friday will be interesting because, well, Jotsam cobbled together a couple of mods that work... interestingly together...
:getin:

Mr. Soop
Feb 18, 2011

Bonsai Guy

Dooky Dingo posted:

Friday will be interesting because, well, Jotsam cobbled together a couple of mods that work... interestingly together...
:getin:

You're building up some anticipation here. I for one can't wait to see how much of a trainwreck disaster new experience these mods provide.

Dooky Dingo posted:

HOWEVER, we WILL be giving Mr. Hammond a fitting tribute as soon as we can. Please be patient.

John Hammond doesn't want to be dead, John Hammond wants to hunt. :smith:

Can we assume you've spared no expense?

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

Mr. Soop posted:

...Clever girl...

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Mr. Soop posted:

Spared no expense

Mr. Soop
Feb 18, 2011

Bonsai Guy

Given that this is a Southern Beagle production, I imagine the next video is of a mod that replaces the swarm music with that little musical ditty and our hosts will enjoy their native instrument usage immensely. :v:

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

Mr. Soop posted:

Given that this is a Southern Beagle production, I imagine the next video is of a mod that replaces the swarm music with that little musical ditty and our hosts will enjoy their native instrument usage immensely. :v:
No washboard, blowjug, mouthharp or banjo. Not a real Southern band.
2/10, would not Jurassic Park again. :colbert:

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

:siren:ducksiren:NEW VIDEO DAY!:ducksiren::siren:
Episode 25: Attack of the Kool-Aid Men!
Today, goons, we tackled a silly conglomeration of mods, as dreamt of by Jotsam, and find out, exactly, how much delicious, red dye #40 flavored tank we can fit in our mouths!
OH YEAH! :guinness:

Mr. Soop
Feb 18, 2011

Bonsai Guy

Dooky Dingo posted:

:siren:ducksiren:NEW VIDEO DAY!:ducksiren::siren:
Episode 25: Attack of the Kool-Aid Men!
Today, goons, we tackled a silly conglomeration of mods, as dreamt of by Jotsam, and find out, exactly, how much delicious, red dye #40 flavored tank we can fit in our mouths!
OH YEAH! :guinness:

This homebrew collection of mods was AMAAAAZING! :aaaaa:

It looks fun to play anyway, but the Kool-Aid men really just amped the fun factor up to 11. It's so incredibly ridiculous, and I'm happy to see you guys actually having fun again with these mods.

A missed opportunity though is in that it was Jonestown, not Heaven's Gate, that did the Kool-Aid (or rather generic water flavoring) suicides. So having included the masses of the undead fighting on the side of the Kool-Aid Men would have made for the darkest of humor.

...What? Too soon?

bodz5150
Jun 29, 2005

I'm kind of disappointed there was no Macho Man voice pack used for this. Missed greatness.
Ooooooooooooh, yeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

That mod was nothing short of amazing :allears:

Also, agreeing that Macho Man voices would have put it over the top.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Low morale causes the golems to dance in panic.
Will saying Stan Lee's name 3 times result in this?

:stare:

• Locked thread