Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Pretty cool that one of the best players in the history of the franchise isn't going to be a Cowboy anymore because they can't spend reasonably.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

TheChirurgeon posted:

Cowboys have released Ware.

E: way beaten. It had to happen. It's not even about the money so much--he was clearly declining and even with cap space he wasn't worth what he was set to be paid.

Of course it's about the money.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

TheChirurgeon posted:

It is, but what I meant to say was "it's not so much about the Cowboys spending irresponsibly." Even without the Ratliff/Austin contracts, this was too much to pay Ware at this point in his career.

There is basically no way he'd have been cut otherwise so yes it is because they spent idiotically forever to build the towering monument to mediocrity that is the post-1995 Dallas Cowboys.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

TheChirurgeon posted:

listen man I like Ware too and Jones has made some incredibly stupid moves over the past few years but it's just not smart to keep paying that much to a 32-year old linebacker coming off injury who had a lackluster season despite no longer seeing double-teams at the line. Even if this cap move hadn't been necessary it's still not a bad move to make.

And I'm saying I don't care because he's one of the like 10 best players in the history of the stupid franchise and cutting him loving sucks and makes me mad. There were good reasons to let Emmitt go too, that didn't make it any less loving awful.

I'm sure they will replace him ably though, what with their mountains of cap space and keen drafting accumen.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Pron on VHS posted:

hey Ware has lost a step, right

He was hurt last year, it's hard to say. He's not the best pass rusher in the league anymore but he can probably give them a couple more years of double digit sacks if Miller is around to take some attention from him.

Waroduce posted:

God drat. Ware and Miller is ridic. How is the front 7 going to align? Both at olb? Or DE Ware/ olb Miller

Ware will play DE.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Deion Branch was never really all that spectacular with Brady either.

Garcon also wasn't nearly as good as his reception numbers last year, though it's true that he didn't completely go to poo poo without Manning.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Well this QB isn't very good, let's just get him a lot of bad receivers to make him look even worse.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
People were just all ready for Decker to be a dumb signing so they're instinctively critical of it even though that's actually a perfectly reasonable deal. I mean he's not going to put up the numbers he did in Denver, but he's better than anything they've had recently by several orders of magnitude.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Like I know Keenan Allen was good last year and that was very exciting but people realize that rookie receivers are usually pretty bad, right?

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Blitz7x posted:

Eddie Royal also had a great rookie year

Not that good though. Of guys who were as good as Allen was right away the only one I can think of who completely fell off the map was Michael Clayton, which in hindsight is one of the weirdest seasons ever.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Is the Panther's number 1 receiver currently Marvin McNutt? Because I approve of that direction.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

AAA DOLFAN posted:

Man did I ever pound the mcnutt drum in Miami and man did finheaven posters love to remind me of that when he got cut

I can't believe that reuniting Ken O'Keefe and McNutt didn't result in magic.

It's possible he is permanently scarred from that time the wire camera fell to the earth and almost killed him.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
If they take the money they saved cutting DeMarcus Ware and just turn around and give it to loving Julius Peppers then gently caress this stupid rear end team.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

PantsFreeZone posted:

I know it isn't Free Agent related but:

Adam Schefter @AdamSchefter
Authorities say Indianapolis Colts owner Jim Irsay is in jail after being stopped for suspected drunken driving Sunday night.

What a loving tool.

If only there were a thread for general NFL news where you could have talked about this.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Dallas may have been forced to cut the best pass rusher in the history of the franchise but at least they have a kicker locked up until like 2075 in an era when it's easier than ever to find a competent kicker.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

TheChirurgeon posted:

No dude by signing a kicker they made it so they'd have to cut Ware DON'T YOU UNDERSTAND HOW CRAZY AND STUPID THIS TEAM IS

They are both part of a long series of really stupid things this team has done.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Rasczak posted:

If it makes you feel better they also have Ladouceur locked up until like 2018

IT DOES NOT

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

TheChirurgeon posted:

The Bailey move is easy to mock but it's not a bad move. It lowers his cap hit in 2014 and as Dillusionist said, the years past the 5th don't matter and he's a dependable kicker capable of producing at range. Signing him did not prevent the team from re-signing Ware--that was inevitable thanks to the contracts given to Austin, Ratliff, Livings, Roy Williams, Leonard Davis, Marc Columbo, and Marion Barber over the last three years. But hey, it's easy to make fun of signing a the kicker, so why not? Clearly the team's priority this offseason was retaining Bailey and that's probably what they told Ware when they cut him. They said "hey we'd like to keep you but we're giving this big contract to Bailey. Hand in your playbook on your way out."

Christ, I am not saying that alone prevented them from bringing back Ware, it's just a funny contrast. And giving a kicker a 5 year deal is also stupid. It's one of the most fungible positions in all of sports.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Vertical Lime posted:

The Cowboys signed Brandon Weeden

what the gently caress why

This isn't some high upside guy who just didn't work out, he's already in his 30s. God this team is dumb.

TheChirurgeon posted:

Jerry doesn't care whether you're black, white, asian, hispanic, straight or gay, whether you shot a guy in a strip club, went to jail for possession of assault rifles, are a drug kingpin, or stabbed your teammate in the neck with a pair of shears, if you can help the team win and can be had at less than market value* he'll have you on the team.

the gently caress does this have to do with quincy carter

Disillusionist posted:

Orton is considering retirement so they need another option. Weeden is going to be cheaper, too.

That is not an excuse for signing loving Weeden. In fact that makes it worse, because it creates a possibility that Brandon Goddamn Weeden will start a game for the Cowboys. God, you and Chir will defend literally anything this idiotic team does.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Mar 17, 2014

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Marvin McNutt is gonna catch so many passes

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
This loving forum could not be more of a horrible circle jerk, jesus.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Yearly reminder that April Fool's day is really dumb.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I have done nothing but effusively priase the Cowboys recently so that hurts deeply.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

shiksa posted:

Indy has a good RB coming back this year don't they?

They have Bradshaw coming back who is decent if he can stay healthy. And Vick Ballard I guess, but Vick Ballard is only good in the minds of Colts fans.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Declan MacManus posted:

Chris Johnson was the best RB in the NFL for a grand total of one season

It was a really good 1 season though.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Chichevache posted:

I don't know if he lost a step or what, but I swear a large part of his drop off is mental. :sigh:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVg3nxRaZy8

He is a relatively tiny man who has been asked to run the ball and get tackled by gigantic fast men a whole bunch of times, which is really bad for you and hard to do for a long time. I don't think it needs to be some deep seeded mental issue.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Chichevache posted:

I wasn't arguing that it was some kind of clinical issue. More that his recent games he seems to be afraid to hit a hole or commit to a run and instead dances around looking for an opening that never appears.

He always did that though. It just works less often now.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Roasted Donut posted:

Plax did perfectly fine for himself

He almost shot himself in the dilz.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Volkerball posted:

He only had one really good season, and it wasn't a contract year.

Yeah and yet somehow like half of SAS is convinced he was really good, I don't get it at all.

He was good for exactly one year. Ever. In a like 10 year career. Evidence overwhelmingly suggests that he probably just wasn't very good.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Kyle Orton owns and as I recall they threw the ball a shitload that year.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Ehud posted:

Vontaze Burfict was the slowest LB at the combine, took a dump all over his college coaching staff during interviews with teams, and tested positive for weed at the combine.

It's safe to say he has exceeded expectations.

And for as big a name as he was as a college player, he struggled a lot his last season. His stock was already dropping and then the combine and everything else sent it into a free fall.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

swickles posted:

The biggest problem with Burfict is that he didn't point menacingly at the QB during the combine.

That's probably my favorite football picture ever.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Kalli posted:

I knew he'd be good because of that one photo. Just like I know Clowney will be a HoF'er just based off of that one play.

gently caress watching games, paying attention to the combine or caring about pro day workouts. Just give me that one highlight.

Agreed, can't believe Eric Crouch didn't make it.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Quest For Glory II posted:

Suh throwing Colt McCoy like a ragdoll is my favorite

In hindsight that one has become less endearing and more "huh, maybe we should have figured out that this guy was kind of a dick earlier"

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Kalli posted:

Similarly, I watched Brandon Meriweather stomp on a dude's face and punch another dude in the helmet while he wasn't wearing one.

Obvious bust.

The guy who should have been a star in that was the dude trying to fight on crutches. That's a team player.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Alter Ego posted:

Ed Dickson, Dennis Pitta, and Dorin Dickerson.

So maybe it wasn't all good.

Moeaki would have been better than all of them if his bones and ligaments weren't made out of a mysterious substance that makes glass look like that poo poo that covers Wolverine's bones. :(

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

AAA DOLFAN posted:

Moeaki would have been a 800/8 guy dammit

He was so fast when he first got to Iowa. And one of the best blockers on a team that had multiple first round tackles and where every offensive lineman at least wound up in an NFL camp. Injuries are stupid.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Quest For Glory II posted:

Not even really his fault but the fault of his stupid old school coach that thought starters should play all 4 quarters of the final exhibition game when literally no other team did

He was permanently broken way before that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

John Brown posted:

Cowboys pick up Amobi Okeye. Any chance Ron Marinelli can turn his career around?

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000350787/article/dallas-cowboys-amobi-okoye-strike-contract

Holy poo poo that's a name I hadn't thought about in awhile.

• Locked thread