Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

We need a bum wine thread now, Irish Wild Rose or Night Train always lead to good stories.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010

Nonsense posted:

bulliet any good?

its terrible rotgut I wouldn't sanitize my rear end beads with, now Beam 8 Star is some quality drankin'

DAVE!!!(c)(tm)
Feb 22, 2003

hexic posted:

alright, you wanted bottom shelf? you got it

this poo poo is completely undrinkable. i'm pretty sure it's just their vodka, which is also nasty as gently caress, with some food coloring in it. it's like 5 or 6 dollars a fifth and still not worth it. bad. baaaaaad

That may not be too far from the truth. Some of the absolute worst bottom shelf liquor is adulterated with grain alcohol and flavorings/colorings to a large extent while still being able call itself whiskey legally. To be able to buy good stuff at relatively low prices it helps to know the legal definitions of some of the things that appear on the label.

Gihon
Jan 9, 2014

Voltage posted:

what the hell man, that's really never happened, ever, to anyone.

"Man, what a wierdo, trying to find exactly what he wants, I better silently judge and mock him"

But seriously, I was at a festival once and some guy had a big sign that said "SWORD FIGHTS FOR WHISKEY" and he had a big foam sword. I asked what the deal was and if I had a sword battle with him, I could chug as much of his old crow handle as I wanted. What a great day that was.

Anyway I just tried this over the weekend and it was fantastic. Big Boi edition crown royal black. Kinda tastes like bourbon mixed with CR.

Who is Big Boi and why does he get to do a Crown Royal bag and not me?

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest

Gihon posted:

Rappers often have endorsement deals with liquor companies, naming brands in songs etc. It's why Ciroc, Grey Goose and Patron are often behind the counter/in a locked case in liquor stores instead of on the shelf

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Gihon posted:

He's one half of Outkast, the only successful hip-hop act of the 2000's that actually had talent.

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

I'm bad with money and you have an avatar!

Lazyfire posted:

We need a bum wine thread now, Irish Wild Rose or Night Train always lead to good stories.

http://www.bumwine.com/

Again, as a Canadian, I cannot believe these things exist. All of our hobos have to save up for sherry or drink Chinese cooking wine (or like, rubbing alcohol).

The LCBO can't sell Delerium Tremens beer because it makes light of an alcohol related illness. I'm sure the powers that censor booze would seriously take umbrage with any product which apparently turns your mouth black (which thunderbird apparently does).

Tactical Lesbian
Mar 31, 2012

tweekinator posted:

Yes, it's called "gin".

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest

olylifter posted:

The LCBO can't sell Delerium Tremens beer because it makes light of an alcohol related illness.

pussies

Madlad
Mar 30, 2008

That's right. Snobs can sit on the bottle and spin.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
A lot of these whiskeys are not really bottom shelf. Evan Williams is on shelf 3 out of 5 at my local grocery.

Macasaurus
Oct 12, 2012

Old Crown isn't too bad, or Old Grandad, I've never had the bonded granddad, though.

Herv
Mar 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

Nonsense posted:

bulliet any good?

Just try it. My go to is Makers Mark but I like to try others.

http://cocktails.about.com/od/whiskeyreviews/fr/Makers-Mark-Bourbon-Whiskey-Review.htm

Whiskey_Dick
Feb 10, 2009

Madlad posted:

That's right. Snobs can sit on the bottle and spin.

yer darn tootin

Charlie Brown
Oct 4, 2000

Infiltrates Your Skull
I genuinely enjoy whisky, but Whyte & Mackay is my favourite. Such a tasty, cheap blend.
When I'm aiming for a blackout, I don't feel guilty.

electrigger
Dec 18, 2005

so gay and you don't even like boys
Why is it always straight bourbon? Is there a curved bourbon? Gay bourbon perhaps?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

bottom shelf is for brands like aristocrat vodka

EmperorFritoBandito
Aug 7, 2010

by exmarx

electrigger posted:

Why is it always straight bourbon? Is there a curved bourbon? Gay bourbon perhaps?

Gay bourbon comes from Scotland in green bottles that you have to pull out of cardboard boxes and has names like Flnghyrrrynycchll

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

Lazyfire posted:

My last Night Train experience ended with a German foreign exchange student vomiting all over my friend's back seat. It is terrible unless you are already hammered when you start drinking, then it tastes like grape Kool Aid.

Thunderbird and MD 20/20 also deserve honorable mentions.

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest

electrigger posted:

Haverchuck posted:

If I remember correctly the "straight" in "kentucky straight bourbon whiskey" means its not blended with "grain neutral spirits" aka vodka

in cheaper whiskies the straight bourbon which is made to an exacting set of legal definitions, is blended with grain alcohol in order to stretch the aged product. If it's the pure product straight from the barrel (still cut with water to lower the abv) it's "straight" Kentucky bourbon

Vernii
Dec 7, 2006

Bought some Evan Williams black label yesterday, it's decent on its own but pretty good with sweet tea.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

EmperorFritoBandito posted:

Gay bourbon comes from Scotland in green bottles that you have to pull out of cardboard boxes and has names like Flnghyrrrynycchll

flnghyrrrynycchll is a welsh name which roughly translates to "baltimore"

scotches are all named maccumberlachgavulimorenglen

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!

Vernii posted:

Bought some Evan Williams black label yesterday, it's decent on its own but pretty good with sweet tea.

Got myself a $11 750ml of some evan williams last night and mixed it with generic gingerale - was actually not bad.

I feel like absolute total dogshit today but at least I was late to work.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
just bought some evan williams

was a good decision

ChipNDip
Sep 6, 2010

How many deaths are prevented by an executive order that prevents big box stores from selling seeds, furniture, and paint?
Evan Williams is somethin' to get when you're feeling fancy and want to spend the big bucks.

This is the workhorse right here.

macky2dope
Jun 11, 2012

meow haha whoa!!
:420: :420: :420: :420: :420:
drinkin canadian mist & coke rn, sup op B)

macky2dope
Jun 11, 2012

meow haha whoa!!
:420: :420: :420: :420: :420:

this bottle specifically

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Vernii posted:

gonna quote myself here

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

Evan Williams is pro-tier whiskey at scrub-tier prices.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Voltage posted:

I feel like absolute total dogshit today but at least I was late to work.

if you drink bourbon often enough, it eventually stops making you feel like poo poo

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Cannot Find Server posted:

if you drink bourbon often enough, it eventually stops making you feel like poo poo

this is actually completely true and its kinda weird but owns real hard too.

Disco Prince
Apr 29, 2012

push the button

Lazyfire posted:

thunderbird isnt that bad but there is nothing about it that would lead you to believe its 'citrus' or 'wine'

ur in my world now
Jun 5, 2006

Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was

Smellrose
boones farm is easiest to drink alcopop bad wine product. only like 8% abv though

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
stop drinking canadian whiskey. prohibition is over and you live in america.

zgrowler2
Oct 29, 2011

HOW DOES THE IPHONE APP WORK?? I WILL SPAM ENDLESSLY EVERYWHERE AND DISREGARD ANY REPLIES

TenementFunster posted:

stop drinking canadian whiskey. prohibition is over and you live in america.

this but unironically

Absalom Baird
Jul 13, 2010
Check out Zachariah Harris, the liquor store guy turned me on to it and it is p ok. Also like 6$ for a pint

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Absalom Baird posted:

Check out Zachariah Harris, the liquor store guy turned me on to it and it is p ok. Also like 6$ for a pint

I've been hit or miss with liquor store employees telling me what's good. The last purchase was a $12 bottle of vanilla infused bourbon that I decided to buy more to say "yes, I found a cheap infused bourbon" rather than any actual interest in drinking it.

Opened that thing up when I got home and punishdrank the thing over the course of a few days because it was so far from being anything decent I had to get it out of my house as soon as possible. I will drink rotgut like it's my job, but flavored rotgut is an abomination.

Harald
Jul 10, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
don't make the mistake of introducing your girlfriend to expensive whiskey

edit: if you really want infused bourbon its easy and cheap to make your own infusions

Harald fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Apr 7, 2014

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

what are good things to infuse whiskey with?

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Copley Depot posted:

don't make the mistake of introducing your girlfriend to expensive whiskey

if your girlfriend does not enjoy whiskey it's time to get a different girlfriend

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

copshootcop
Aug 4, 2013

Senorita Stinkers posted:

Seagrams 7 then

Seconding this, gently caress the haters.

• Locked thread