Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
Oh, hell yes. I always loved this game as a kid. Some of the best music Sakuraba ever made came from this game.

Does it say something that I don't even need to watch the video of the conversation with Odin to remember exactly how they sound?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!

Seyser Koze posted:

I don't know, I hit Escape on ePSXe completely by reflex and loaded up a different game. That first line or two was literally the worst voice acting I could remember having heard to that point and I guess my gamer self-defense instincts kicked in or something.

If you watched any of the early seasons of Pokemon as a kid, this game is basically gonna be that except with with death and Norse mythology all the way through, which makes it a lot more enjoyable (at least to me) because you can sit and actively make fun of when the voice acting gets ultra-dramatic and all you can think of is Ash or Brock saying the lines.

Also, hello Seyzer. Fancy running into you here. :keke:

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
I haven't played the game in over twelve years and I can still perfectly do Arngrim's finisher.

"I grow tired of you.

Finishing Strike! Final Blast!!!

Now die, and be silent."

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
Yeah, this was always my big complaint with VP and Star Ocean 2. Tri-Ace made such great games, but the amount of time spent in the prologue sections almost rival an MGS game, it feels like.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
Like I said, if you could survive Saturday morning animes as a kid, VP's nothing new. Hell, there are games out much more recently that the dubs are far worse than anything you'll see in this one.

...Case in point, Chaos Wars. Ugh, both that and Mana Khemia I refuse to play with the english voices on.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
Hoo boy, here we go with this one.

I think this is probably my favorite part of Chapter 0, honestly. That image of Arngrim sitting there embarrassed as all hell while she's going on a tirade in the middle of the japanese restaurant never gets old.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
Everyone gets a story. A lot of them are genuinely interesting. 95%+ of them involve death at the end.

Welcome to Valkyrie Profile.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
Or just because he's Arngrim. But I'm with you, my team was always 100% Lenneth up front, Arngrim down, then a swapee fighter up top and a mage in back.

So basically, the Chapter 0 party formation never left.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
Oh, frell. I'm gonna have to say Crell first. While I find the guy in Lassen to be significantly more useful in general, I like the character in Crell more and I find Lenneth's general disposition to these people much more entertaining in this scene.

Also, every time you yelled Valkyrie Profile, I thought back to the Drakengard LP from a few years back. Is that normal?

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
I still love how the concept of "happily ever after" pretty much has never existed in the crapsack that is VP Midgard. Saving someone's life requires martyrdom at the bare minimum, and there's still no guarantee they'll actually go on to live happily and enjoy it once you're gone.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
Like everyone's saying, Belenus got some decent screentime on my team for the first chapter or so just on account of not having much else to really work with. It's not so bad for the first little while, but once the options started opening up I pretty much always tossed him in favor of switching people into that slot just to play around and train people.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
I honestly admit I never got the hang of the hero traits thing. I know skills and such in SO2 would provide passive stat bonuses if you spent the skill points on them, but aside from HV, I couldn't tell if improving the traits ever did anything that'd make them more useful on the ground. Hell, I don't even remember how it helps them up above, either.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!

Mors Rattus posted:

Because the other recruitment plotlines aren't total downers, nope.

This is a game where to join your party, someone has to die, none of these are gonna be happy.

Some of them are still worse than others, even for this game.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
I always felt bad for Llewynn. Sure, he's got a name and a backstory here because VP looks at the world from the balcony seats, but you know full well that in Midgard terms he was basically just Enemy Archer #3 on someone else's SRPG map and didn't stand a chance. And this is still one of the nicer stories because, while Asaka's fate is left more or less up to interpretation, Millia is at least given a chance to move on with her life.

Also, that Goddess of Love line, to me, always felt like a perfect look at Lenneth's take on this job at this stage of the game. She'll go around picking these guys up because Odin asked her to do a solid for him, sure, but gently caress these people and their angst issues, they should just get in the drat bus already.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!

CmdrKing posted:

Especially since, as we'll see once we drag the kid into a dungeon, he's pretty much the worst character in the game mechanically.

Not just mechanically, either. Pretty much the entire game likes to find ways to kick the kid around.

Can't Swim comes immediately to mind.

Captian Nuke posted:

I found these early missions to be nice characterization for Lenneth, on the one hand you can tell that she's somewhat irritated to have to play psychologist to a bunch of mortals and their petty concerns on the other she totally does help them out albeit in a limited way.

Yeah, that's exactly it. She'll do it, but it bugs the crap out of her that she's having to. After awhile, she sort of turns into the mouthpiece for the player at times when she comments on how she recruits some of the later enherjar.

Derek Barona fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Mar 23, 2014

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!

Bloodly posted:

...It's not outright stated, but it's fairly clear how Llewellyn died:knocked off a boat and drowned. Rotten way to go.

I never thought about that before, but it makes perfect sense. Can't Swim + Millia talking about an empty coffin which implies they never brought back his body. Plus his ever so infamous Sacred Phase scene, and yeah, I could see it.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

You ain't seen nothing yet. There's a character you see throughout the game who you just wanna hug and give a cup of tea to.

Dear goddess, I've been trying not to think about that. The worst part is, I didn't ever actually recruit her in any of my playthroughs as a kid.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
What Mazed said.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
I humbly request that every new enherjar we meet must have time with Freya's hat.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!

W.T. Fits posted:

Poor Jun couldn't accept his Shadow and failed to obtain the power of Persona. :smith:

I wasn't expecting someone to beat me to that joke, honestly. Then I remembered this is SA.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
I... always just called it Finishing Strike like they did, to be honest.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
I've gotten the B Ending before, but despite actually trying to, it wasn't until after I lost my copy of the game that I found out you had to actually go into somewhere and come out to get Freya to come and read you the riot act.

A "broken machine", huh...

I guess Odin's idea of a good soldier doesn't just apply to the Enherjar.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!

Rushputin posted:

As for music: Here's the overworld theme, Doorway to Heaven, along with the soul concentration song, Requiem to a Predicament, from the arranged album:

http://www.polsy.org.uk/play/yt/?vurl=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DluzgVgTycBQ%26list%3DPLEA4927EE3AA0A16D

I've had this song on my computer for a long time. It's badass.

Ah, I want to say Hai-Lan... Screw it, Hai-Lan, then Crell. The Hai-Lan character has pretty much always stuck out in my mind as one of the most memorable just because of how it goes down. And the voice acting. By the Valkyrie, that voice acting.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
As far as I can remember, the scenes with actual dialogue from the enherjar are unique to them and will always play once they're up in Valhalla. Llewelyn botching it because he can't swim is pretty much always going to happen, for example.

Stuff that's more mission-like such as chasing the spies is much more in general and IIRC, you can fail if the enherjar on the job sucks.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!

DontMockMySmock posted:

Ash motherfucking Ketchum. "Lapis! Grant my heart's desire!" is just about the most memorable line in this entire game, mostly because of that ridiculous delivery. :allears:

Yes. Yes so much.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
Honestly, I never paid Janus much attention, half because of the archer request and half because his story isn't really all that interesting to me. Soldier betrayed by his country and thrown away, then shot in the back when he's trying to get back in. Textbook Valkyrie Profile, right there.

It's around Chapter 3 that it really starts to set in to one's mind that there's just not going to be a happy ending for anyone in your group, so it just becomes a question of whether or not your new enherjar manages to do something interesting or take anyone down with them when they die like Arngrim. Janus, unfortunately, did neither.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
Yumei tends to be my Jelanda 2.0 for a chapter or two after I get her, since the mage slot in the party has enough people worth swapping in that no one stays there for long. That said, she's probably one of my most remembered characters in the game just on account of that recruitment, and one of my more favorite enherjar just in general because, as has been mentioned, this is actually one of the more semi-optimistic deaths in the game because it's noted of the possibility that she may actually see her parents again. We know differently, of course, and she's just going to become a monster and giant destroying death mermaid, but hey, optimism in this game is a rare thing.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
I remember actually thinking about it as a kid and deciding that Celia probably had no chance of killing that demon by herself, so I went back and ended up finding the cave completely on a hunch. It's not exactly a hard dungeon either if you can wipe the Dragon Zombies.

Brahms, huh. I never did beat that rear end in a top hat.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
I like to think that Brahms is so chill because he literally has nothing else to do at this point but sit around and chat up any random goddesses/heroes that happen to come crashing in.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
SO2 is literally my favorite video game of all time, so I'm going to politely take the stance of refusing to acknowledge that SO3 even exists, k thx bai.

Though I admit it had me until that plot twist. Tri-Ace, where did you go wrong?

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
Only if properly prepared. Lv1s with no gear and low hero values are more or less just fodder with a unique portrait.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
I think I always liked Aelia enough to the point where from the moment she joins, she's got a lock on my upper slot next to Arngrim. About the only reason I swap her out is because that's also the trainee slot for fighter types headed for Asgard, but she gets placed back in pretty regularly.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
I admit I always disliked this story. The girl who cares about and regrets the death of the other girl more or less has no real choice but to undergo the ceremony that she feels she has no right to usurp but SOMEONE has to do it, and when the ghost of the other girl shows up to gently caress her up, rather than feel any sort of self-preservation and just let Lenneth take her out, she'd rather die and give her own body away so the other girl can go back home.

gently caress that. Someone needed to give Nanami a hug and tell her she wasn't a replacement for anyone, because even by VP standards that was a pretty sacrificial for the sake of sacrifice story.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!

Bloodly posted:

Taking 'duty' to it's ultimate. Some would say 'way too far'. Some would say 'exactly as far as she should have'. Preservation demands she leave. Honour and her family demands she continue.

I suppose that's what always bugs me. She has every right and opportunity to say gently caress duty and live a happy life as a normal girl, but her sense of obligation and duty drives her to perform a ritual that she's likely to fail anyway, and when Lenneth jumps in to help her, lets that same "duty" continue to drive her to sacrifice herself rather than take the out and return home.

I mean, I know, Valkyrie Profile and all that, but the whole duty and sacrifice thing really gets me with this one. Nanami's wish is to complete the ritual and show that she can do it, but she lets the fact that she feels like she owes Minayo for "stealing" her place dictate her actions when presented with a choice. She says it herself that no, she doesn't want to die, but she doesn't place any value at all on her own wishes and happiness. All it takes is a single different choice on her part in this scenario and she gets to go home alive and well, and Minayo would've either been purged or cleansed and made the enherjar instead. One could probably compare this scenario to Lawfer's death as well, in that his self-sacrifice was also driven by his sense of duty and justice. While it probably would've been a break from her (slightly) established character to decide to take her own happiness, throwing it away entirely to allow her dead foster sister to take over her body and basically come back to life and replace her just always feels to me like she got completely screwed over and doesn't mind at all. That bugs me.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

I kinda wish they'd gone full throttle with Celia and made her good friends with each and every Einjeriar you get (instead of just a solid chunk). It would be like tri-Ace to put in a running gag like that. Although I guess it's only a gag if you've got a dark sense of humor like me.

I think we've got enough of a running gag just by having the "Dead friends of Celia" counter to begin with. We don't need Tri-Ace's help.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!

KataraniSword posted:

Really, the thing that gets me most about Nanami is that she's recruited in the same town as Yumei, voiced by the same actress as Yumei, and is the exact same entirely interchangeable class as Yumei. In addition, due to how the recruits in chapters 2-4 are structured, you'll always get her within a chapter or two of recruiting Yumei, though it varies as to which one you get first.

What I am saying is that Nanami is pretty much literally Yumei except without the awesome battle animations and/or being a mermaid.

Basically. With one exception, the oriental region of the world that Hai-Lan represents is more or less mage central in the same way that Crell gives you the archers and most of the fighters come out of the more central continent areas.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
I'm gonna vote to sent Lawfer up this time around. We really only need one lancer, and frankly, Aelia would probably tell the elves to go screw themselves if Freya sent her as a diplomat.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
There's also at least one enherjar he's not picking up in this run due to going for the B ending, as stated earlier. Still up in the air if he's going to ignore any others as well.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!

W.T. Fits posted:

but it's not like this is Not Europe from Drakengard.

I've seen that LP. This is not nearly as comforting a comparison as you think it is.

I mean, it IS a step up, sure, but just the fact you made this comparison shows how bad things are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

For the life of me, I can't remember who that second one is...so I'm gonna vote for that one and be surprised

Seconded. This is around the time where my general memory of the game starts to get hazy, since I only ever got this far once or twice.

• Locked thread