Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Oh poo poo yeah, Valkyrie Profile! I loved the hell out of this game when I borrowed it from a friend, and one of my biggest regrets was not actually picking up a copy for myself when I had the chance.

The PSP remake is basically the reason I bought my first PSP. No regrets. :colbert:

Gonna enjoy the hell out of this LP. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Overrated Sage posted:

Hey, and this whole time I was expecting the princess to be the primary antagonist. Huh.

How old is the princess, anyway? At first I thought she was a young adult, but now she's looking like she's barely reaching an age with two digits in it. It's not everyday that you find a game where a little girl turns into a monster and you have to kill her within the first thirty minutes or so. Never change, Valkyrie Profile.

It's not quite Drakengard levels of :wtc: but Valkyrie Profile does have its moments.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

ApplesandOranges posted:

I promise I won't die. Wait for me.

I will.

I wonder how much he hurt his ankle when he tripped over that huge death flag. :v:

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

ApplesandOranges posted:

Anyway, I want to start working on the update tomorrow, so I'm closing the poll. It was close, but Hai-Lan got a come from behind victory.

Awesome. Ever since I first played this game, this guy's been one of my favorites. Mechanically I realize there are likely better options, but I don't care because he's just so drat cool. :allears:

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Poor Jun couldn't accept his Shadow and failed to obtain the power of Persona. :smith:

Seriously, though, it's a shame that we didn't get to hear any of his voice clips here, because he's got some of my favorite lines.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Sientara posted:

Poor Celia, she just looks so depressed. Too bad Midgard doesn't have Prozac, she needs it.

Out of all the mortal characters in the game, Celia arguably suffers the worst fate of any of them. :smith:

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

"Now your future is EMPTINESS!" :black101:

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Maybe she died of a broken heart.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

YggiDee posted:

Given life on Midgard in Valkyrie Profile, that lipstick is probably made of children or something.

Whoa, hey now, life in VP Midgard is pretty bleak, but it's not like this is Not Europe from Drakengard.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Whenever I play this game, I can't use Lucian without Brock's face popping into my mind every time he speaks.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

ApplesandOranges posted:

Just to mock us a bit, behind the painting puzzle is the painting of the Hanged Man (XII), symbolizing self-sacrifice for the sake of knowledge. At least we get our next stone for our troubles.

Speaking of self-sacrifice for the sake of knowledge, guess who is sometimes associated with this card!

: 'Sup?

In one of the Eddas, Odin hung himself upside-down from the trunk of the Yggdrasil for nine days and nine nights, by impaling himself with his own spear. By doing so, he gained great wisdom and retrieved the secrets of runes from the source and end of all sacred mystery and knowledge.

: Yeah, and let me tell you, it hurt like a bitch. Worth it, though!

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

I think I remember Apples and Orange explicitly stating that they were saving that for Hard mode.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

Apple's laptop has joined the ranks of Lenneth's Einherjar. Odinspeed, soldier.

It has joined The Dark Id's PS2 in Let's Play Valhalla.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

dis astranagant posted:

Lezard is just the smuggest motherfucker there ever was and he knows he has all the power and info to back it up.

Agreed. For those who missed it at the bottom of the previous page:

Sientara posted:

Lezard:

Lezard spends so much time scenery chewing, and it is glorious.

Look at that :smug: face. That is the face of a man who knows exactly what everyone thinks of him, and does not give one single gently caress one way or the other. He realizes full well that he's the bad guy here, and he loving revels in it every single moment he's on screen.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

I never made it far enough into VP2 to run into Lezard. Does Liam O'Brian do his Grimoire Weiss voice from Nier, or does he do something different?

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

cdyoung posted:

You never made it to chapter 2?

I got distracted by other games and never came back. I think it may have been partly because I was put off by just how different the combat system was compared to VP1.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

MarsDragon posted:

But this Odin doesn't have an eyepatch!

Maybe he hasn't sacrificed his eye for a sip from Mimir's Well yet. Or maybe he has a glass eye.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

You remember that movie Taken, about Liam Neeson killing half of France to get his daughter back? You remember the phone conversation from the trailer where he's basically telling the guy "If you let my daughter go, I won't come after you; but if you don't, then I will hunt you down, I will find you and I will kill you"?

That's basically what kind of connotation "unforgivable" carries in Japan. If someone has done something "unforgivable" then they have crossed the line, and the only option that remains is (usually lethal) retribution.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

ApplesandOranges posted:

The Circle of Life turns for eternity... that is the course of nature!! You mustn't allow such human emotions to consume you! You will lose everything!!

No, really, Lenneth, think of all the things you stand to lose, like

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Badrach is really the Einherjar that Asgard deserves.

Agreed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

ApplesandOranges posted:

Or, if you want to think of it another way, Nurse Joy, Meowth, Jessie and Gary are going to save Asgard from Giovanni.

There is no part of that sentence that I don't like. :allears:

• Locked thread