Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Ever watch Pokemon and think to yourself, "I want Berserk but with these guys"? If so, well do we have a game for you. :getin:

I never got around to finishing this game due to feeling like it was too grindy, but it's got a lot going for it. The background and sprite artwork is astonishingly gorgeous still.

And while it doesn't even care about how wrong it gets Norse mythology, the themes, particularly of the actions of people leading up to their death, feels at least thematically consistent with the sagas and the eddas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

dis astranagant posted:

It's not like we really have a clue about Norse mythology anyway. The Eddas are pretty much the only source anyone has on it and they were written 200 years after Christianity took over.

It seems like it was one of those things where you'd get a different version of the various stories depending on who you asked. You could say that Valkyrie Profile really is the version of the myths you'd get if, for example, there were a bunch of anime nerds living in medieval Scandinavia. :v:

For my money, the Sagas are really where it's at. Little in the way of the fantastical except where there very suddenly is, like one day you're arranging a marriage for your daughter, the next day had to fight a troll, and the next day that queen you pissed off a couple years ago sent an army after you and you die, but not before you get some kind of dry-witted one-liner.

I can't remember if that literally happens with anyone in VP, but it would fit the mold.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

Your einheriar is right here, Lenneth. Asgard needs warriors with the strongest glutes & quads.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

This is our first piece of evidence showing that Lenneth may not be the best at her job. She was lucky that day because Odin's interview process consists solely of asking you to yell impressively about engraving things on souls.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

vilkacis posted:

The description for Crell Monferaigne is quite lovely as well. Life in Midgard kinda sucks...

It's stuff like that which makes this story work so well. "Okay, what dumbass reason are these people murdering each other for? Eh, more religion poo poo. Whatever, time to find some einheriar." The only battle that's going to matter is Ragnarok. :black101:

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

vilkacis posted:

But yeah, only in the time we've known him (which is not very long!) Arngrim has laughed at and humiliated his king, tried to kill his employer, slaughtered several castle guards, and killed himself rather than raise his blade against an opponent he didn't want to fight. He's definitely up there in the viking hero department, but he's not a very good minion.

No fuckin' kidding. Most of that poo poo is what'd get them telling stories about you for years. Or at the very least, earning you an epithet like "Arngrim Kingpisser".

It's the suicide part that'd bring him down. That poo poo ain't cool. If you're gonna die, it needs to be in battle and preferably at the hand of someone it was your fault that they wanted to kill you. If you wanted to die, just find some impossible odds and hurl yourself in. Bonus points if the army you just picked a fight with consistent entirely of people who were personally annoyed with you, which sure wouldn'tve been hard for Arngrim to find, considering. :v:

Mazed fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Mar 25, 2014

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

Llewelyn isn't super-great for us to keep around, but in pure roleplaying terms he's got one thing going for him as one of Odin's own that Belenus does not: He fell in battle. However gracelessly, it counts for something, and since we as chooser of the slain are trusted to make this call, let's give him his due reward and send him to the gods.

Belenus or Jelanda might be statistically more favorable, but they'll be sent up in due time. For now, we have a well-rounded party of killers.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

Fister Roboto posted:

Hold your sleipnirs there buddy, it doesn't say he died in battle. It just says he died.

Sure it does, or implies it anyhow. There was a naval battle, and he went overboard. :v:

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

Shhh, lets not tell Odin.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

chiasaur11 posted:

"I am Lenneth Valkyrie, your senior drill instructor. From now on you will speak only when spoken to, and the first and last words out of your filthy sewers will be "Ma'am". Do you maggots understand that?

If you ladies leave my service, if you survive recruit training, you will be a weapon. You will be a minister of Tyr praying for Ragnarok. But until that day you are pukes. You are the lowest form of life on Midgard. You are not even human loving beings. You are nothing but unorganized grabastic pieces of Jotun poo poo! Because I am hard, you will not like me. But the more you hate me, the more you will learn. I am hard but I am fair. There is no racial bigotry here. I do not look down on brunnmigi, landvættir , dwarves, or lindorm. Here you are all equally worthless. And my orders are to weed out all non-einherjar who did not die gloriously enough to serve my beloved Odin. Do you maggots understand that?"

This. This is beautiful.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

Overrated Sage posted:

That's...curiously uplifting. Even in this twisted world, the most unlikely people can make a difference. I'm not sure how I feel about that.

That's definitely part of what makes this story compelling, and how it stands out among most JRPG plots. The einheriar get even more disparate the further along you go, with some pretty unlikely situations that are only possible because you're trying to round up sincerely everyone with potential, their mortal lives and affiliations be damned, to hopefully make the end of the world less horrible (from your factions' perspective anyway). While there's still plenty of melodrama, nobody quite overstays their welcome either.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

It's actually her thigh. Here's the full picture:

The character concept art pieces are outright beautiful, though unmistakably anime. What's especially good is some of the armor designs.

The artists responsible were Koh & Yoh Yoshinari. Yes, the Panty & Stocking and Kill La Kill Yoh Yoshinari.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

Seems it's time we gave Belenus his due. Jun and Lawfer look to have some entertaining tactics in fights. Also, we oughtta do at least a dungeon or two with Arngrim and Lawfer together, since they seem kinda like good buddies.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

Mythically speaking, Odin was said to go around stirring up trouble to keep humanity up to scratch so they'd be ready whenever Ragnarok rolls around. If bad stuff happened, you cursed his name. And everyone around would be like, "yup" (or just "quit whining").

Now see, an RPG where you play as Odin would be fantastic.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

I voted for Hai-Lan mainly because we should just get this one over with. :smith:

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

Yumei got herself a rather gorgeous illustration in the game's art book (one of very few outside concept drawings):

The reason that she gets to be an einheriar is her positively divine fashion sense. :swoon:

Mazed fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Apr 15, 2014

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

vilkacis posted:

:krad:

Although come to think of it, how would a medieval fantasy mermaid know what a finger gun is? :confused:

And on that subject I wouldn't normally think "robust" and "fragile" would be stackable on the same character... but it's Valkyrie Profile, so we have no need for things making sense. Roll with it!

I was about post something on all three of these points (make an avatar, ha ha medieval finger-guns, robust + fragile?) but beaten to the punch on every count. Oh well. :buddy:

I am continually pleased at this game's efforts to depict plate armor that is both reasonable and stylish.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

I love how the big bad vampire king is pretty much just this plain-spoken fighting game-lookin' dude who really just wants to reason with you.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

FeyerbrandX posted:

You're all being culturally insensitive. Everyone knows dragon and dragonkin hate pants. It's part of their cultural heritage.

One look at dragons in Warcraft, and Ryu from the first Breath of Fire, is enough to confirm that this is true fact. It's not even that they dislike them; they've evolved beyond them.

Though gotta say, other than the conspicuous pantslessness, Aelia's armor is one of the few boobplate designs I don't completely hate.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

Count me as another who never played this far, yet from the start of the update I was positively tickled by this character. :allears:

GilliamYaeger posted:

Being dead means that we're probably going to recruit him, which means that he gets to be with his 'lover'.

"Come forth, my noble einheriar!"

"Why hello again, sweetie pumpkin."

"Shut up, just come forth gods drat."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

They dated in wizard high school.

• Locked thread