Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MadHat
Mar 31, 2011

Derek Barona posted:

Everyone gets a story. A lot of them are genuinely interesting. 95%+ of them involve death at the end.

Welcome to Valkyrie Profile.

Valkyrie Profile, Death is only the beginning. But seriously the interwoven backstories for the characters is one of my favorite part, the playable cast is huuuge and a lot of them are interesting characters in their own right which is rather impressive.

dis astranagant posted:

I'm sure he'll show it once its relevant, being that its one of the few clues the game gives you about the good ending.

Ah the "good" ending also known as the "I have to do what?!?" Ending.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadHat
Mar 31, 2011

Overrated Sage posted:

I'm curious about this buttering Odin up mechanic. Do we know how that impacts story/gameplay yet, or is it just something to bear in mind? The idea of the game placing you on a sort of timer that advances as you do quests is also kind of interesting, although I don't think my poor brain could handle such a mechanic in practice because I'd be too worried about missing something great forever.

You can and will miss stuff in this game your first time through, it is literally impossible to know what you need for some stuff without a guide it is so convoluted.

The story impact is that the Valkyrie was sent to Midgard to prepare for Ragnarok, anything she does that leads to that goal will raise the Evaluation Level, so in this update we saw giving powerful found Artifacts to Odin. Eventually Einherjar will tie into this as well when they get sent to Asgard to fight in Ragnarok.

Mechanically with Artifacts it is a choice of more EL or better gear when found. Einherjar involve Hero Level and what happens when they get sent to Asgard which will come up eventually.

MadHat
Mar 31, 2011
Actually I believe the Pressed Flower has a Poison Resist of 90%, not sure that is even listed in game though it may show up when equipped on the Character Status.

MadHat
Mar 31, 2011

Derek Barona posted:

I honestly admit I never got the hang of the hero traits thing. I know skills and such in SO2 would provide passive stat bonuses if you spent the skill points on them, but aside from HV, I couldn't tell if improving the traits ever did anything that'd make them more useful on the ground. Hell, I don't even remember how it helps them up above, either.

Hero Traits are important for Asgard Transfers but irrelevant for Midgard battles.

MadHat
Mar 31, 2011

dis astranagant posted:

Lenneth being the best archer in the game really works against Llewelyn here, as he's just so bad at his job that there's no reason to keep him around, even if archers are in short supply. Sending Belenus early is kinda wasteful since his hero value is ridiculously huge and he's useful in combat unless someone REALLY good shows up early.

I find it interesting that despite the Valkyrie line about not being a god of love the very first two candidates she finds on her own are more [Tragic] Love Stories than Heroic Stories.
Llewelyn can be fun to keep around for the All Bow party at some point but he is really lacking in the combat department while Belanus is competent all around and has one of the higher starting Hero Scores making him decent for a low cost Transfer option.

MadHat
Mar 31, 2011

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

You ain't seen nothing yet. There's a character you see throughout the game who you just wanna hug and give a cup of tea to.

O I know, I have beaten the game several times. The recurring characters are even worse for that because you get to see their life fall apart over a longer time frame than the shorter Einharjer stories. I was just pointing out that Lenneth has some weird criteria for Einharjer, assuming she has any control over who is getting picked.

MadHat
Mar 31, 2011

Derek Barona posted:

Dear goddess, I've been trying not to think about that.

Valkyrie Profile: Everyone needs a hug.

Edit: Dropped Spoilers

MadHat fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Mar 26, 2014

MadHat
Mar 31, 2011

a cartoon duck posted:

Yeah how about we try not to discuss future events in a thread with a no spoilers policy?

As Dis Astranagant already mentioned, Llewelyn doesn't even fill the archer niche because we already got Lenneth. It cannot be understated how much better Lenneth is with a bow. If you're kinda poo poo at the game like me, giving Lenneth a bow can make the difference from getting the meter only to 50% to filling it out entirely, and if I remember correctly it also lets you use her PWE third in the chain while the sword version can only fill the meter up from the second spot. Then of course there's also the ever-looming thread of ranged enemies in the back row that can be made infinitely easier with a ranged Lenneth and a sorcerer of your own.

Switching from swords to bows was honestly a pretty big game changer for me.

She is also rather durable, unlike poor Llewelyn. Lenneth is pretty flexible as a character which is a good trait in the primary character.

MadHat
Mar 31, 2011
Hai-Lan is an interesting place, There are a set of 3 Einharjer which can show up in Chapters 2,3, and 4 but the order we find them is random.

But that is for another time since going to Artolia will get us some Arngrim related stuff!

Also Wait Reaction is magical, literally as it only applies to mages!

MadHat
Mar 31, 2011

W.T. Fits posted:

Poor Jun couldn't accept his Shadow and failed to obtain the power of Persona. :smith:

Seriously, though, it's a shame that we didn't get to hear any of his voice clips here, because he's got some of my favorite lines.

He even has a unique line instead of the more standard "Finishing Strike"

MadHat
Mar 31, 2011
Time for some Justice!

Really wish the Einharjer interacted with each other cause quite a few knew each other before joining Lenneth's Merry Band

MadHat
Mar 31, 2011
I love Frigid Damsel, most spells are conjuring the element and throwing it at the enemy in some manner, not Frigid Damsel, that is not good enough. For this spell the mage instead conjures up an ice lady who proceeds to beat the poo poo out of your target with a big gently caress off Icicle/Sword.

MadHat
Mar 31, 2011

MartianAgitator posted:

"Dwarf Speed"? WTF Japan. Nonsense words make more sense.

Edit: Why not Nibelung Veracity? Annihilate their souls with Dwarf Truths, Lenneth.

Japan likes using cool sounding foreign languages as much as anyone, it just looks weird when we actually understand the language being used. Engrish is a thing after al [That is not a misspelling]

MadHat
Mar 31, 2011

Penakoto posted:

I think that's explained? I'm not sure.

It is explained or at least inferred, but it has to do with some pretty major plotline stuff so cannot explain it now.

MadHat
Mar 31, 2011
Ah Guts, part one of the "Immortality Machine"
I love the animations of characters, Kashel I am not a fan of as a character but his idle is pretty amazing.

MadHat
Mar 31, 2011

KataraniSword posted:

There's just something about Jayle that I like, I don't know. She's not really any good comparatively (the goon who described her as "another midgame 'meh' einherjar" was right on the money) but she, like Aelia, always ends up in my party for at least a little while.

Her biggest flaw is that she shows up now.

Yeah she can show up in Chapters 5 or 6, which is unfortunate as she would more easily fit earlier power wise, but really the game is not so finely balanced that the individual Einherjar make that big a difference. So it really comes down to who you feel like using at any particular point.

MadHat
Mar 31, 2011

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Spiked pockets.

Also, Lucian's melee combo is amazing and will generate gems/crystals like nobody's business. Have fun spamming PWS!

Ah Shining Bolt such a fun Glitch/Broken Attack.

MadHat
Mar 31, 2011

KataraniSword posted:

It's not so much Arngrim that baffles me traveling around with Hrist in the past - well, I mean, yeah obviously that does, but is that Llewelyn she's got tagging along with her? :psyduck: Of all the Einherjar...

Everyone but Arngrim is assumed to be a Sprite Recycle for Generic Einherjar that Hrist brought with her. That still leaves Arngrim being a bit :psyduck: of course.

MadHat
Mar 31, 2011

inthesto posted:

Remember, both samurai characters have cross-ups!

I have no idea if that's actually useful in any way.

It can be useful for breaking Guards, but there are other Attacks that do that Naturally.

MadHat
Mar 31, 2011

KataraniSword posted:

Yeah. There's content that Apple said was being saved for the Hard Mode run for narrative reasons; as of such we've missed out on (if I remember correctly) two einherjar we would have normally gotten in a Normal playthrough.

It's not really a big deal, all things considered.

This is correct but the Einherjar in question is actually Hard mode only in the game and not for Narrative LP reasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadHat
Mar 31, 2011
That certain was a 90's Anime Opening that I cannot talk about!

I always kept the Grail, buffing one Character permanently every Chapter was too good to pass up.

• Locked thread