Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Overrated Sage
Aug 9, 2011

Atelier Iris in a nutshell:
"yay Veola pl- oh dammit main plot again"
Excellent, another Valkyrie Profile game. I hope this one is as demented as Covenant of the Plume.

Out of curiosity, does that weird little reverse upside down L symbol at the start of dialogue lines actually mean anything? It's kind of hard to get used to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Overrated Sage
Aug 9, 2011

Hey, and this whole time I was expecting the princess to be the primary antagonist. Huh.

How old is the princess, anyway? At first I thought she was a young adult, but now she's looking like she's barely reaching an age with two digits in it. It's not everyday that you find a game where a little girl turns into a monster and you have to kill her within the first thirty minutes or so. Never change, Valkyrie Profile.

Overrated Sage
Aug 9, 2011

I'm curious about this buttering Odin up mechanic. Do we know how that impacts story/gameplay yet, or is it just something to bear in mind? The idea of the game placing you on a sort of timer that advances as you do quests is also kind of interesting, although I don't think my poor brain could handle such a mechanic in practice because I'd be too worried about missing something great forever.

Overrated Sage
Aug 9, 2011

These games have some of the best expressions.

Overrated Sage
Aug 9, 2011

Some kid falls off a boat and drowns, gets kicked out of the party because no one likes him, and all of the sudden he's a "19th level god" who's kicking rear end up in Asgard.

That's...curiously uplifting. Even in this twisted world, the most unlikely people can make a difference. I'm not sure how I feel about that.

Anyway, one of the spirit dialogue things mentioned Arngrim so I think the choice is clear.

Overrated Sage
Aug 9, 2011

vilkacis posted:

No one has a hat as sweet as Freya's.

No one.

I'll see your Freya's hat and raise you a Random Shopkeeper's Hat.

Overrated Sage
Aug 9, 2011

Jelanda's familiar is a parrot? Can we teach it how to talk? I'd love to see a parrot divebomb our enemies while it tells them about how they need to die ten thousand deaths. It'd even be reasonably accurate considering how much overkill happened in this update.

Overrated Sage
Aug 9, 2011

ApplesandOranges posted:

The other annoying aspect of the swamp is mud, which you'll have to wade through from time to time. As one might expect, it greatly slows down movement and restricts your jumps to short hops. It also slows down the music when I'm playing. :v:

Wait, is the music part an intended feature or just your console/emulator being wonky? Because if it's the former then that's actually kind of delightful in a cruel sort of way (which is to say exactly what I would expect from Valkyrie Profile).

Overrated Sage
Aug 9, 2011

I'm kind of curious if we get to learn any more about the dynamics between the gods and god-like people. Like, is Freya really just this fanatically loyal to Odin, does she care about Lenneth at all (or whoever these other ladies are that she mentioned)? Does Odin have any motivations beyond being a tremendous douche? What about that one girl from the very beginning who was all "yay, it's Lenneth! :buddy:"

I really do love the vignettes, stories about our party member's lives and what led them to die and become einwhatevers, and all in all I'm pretty pleased with what the game has shown us so far. I'm just curious about what the larger picture is, or if there even is one. The C ending makes it seem like there is, but as someone who hasn't played any of these games, I don't know what to make of anything anyone said in it.

Overrated Sage
Aug 9, 2011

It's great that they have those little skits for the einharjar you send up, with some even built around their character. Considering that these games tend to forget about characters as soon as they join, I like that it still has these little blurbs to keep them semi-relevant (although it's kind of funny that you only get to see them once you've kicked the character out of your party). I wonder how many of these scenes there are per character or in total, and how they do or do not change based on various circumstances?

Overrated Sage
Aug 9, 2011

Is the nobleman guy from this story also Belanus' father, or do they just both use the same generic portrait?

Overrated Sage
Aug 9, 2011

Am I the only one who's getting a Chrono Cross vibe from this story? It sounds kind of like Fargo's backstory. Then again, I guess the only major similarity is that it's about a human and a mermaid hooking up. Well, that and mystery children.

Regardless, I liked this one a lot. I felt like it gave me enough time to start attaching to the characters but didn't drag on too long. Also, I love how the dad was like "I don't mean to hurt your feelings, but are you a bastard child?"

Overrated Sage
Aug 9, 2011

Can I just say that the vampires in this game are really goofy looking? They look like someone just punched them in the stomach really hard and sent them flying backwards and their bodies just got stuck in that position.

Also, I like how "Moralistic" is a positive trait. In another game I would expect that, but I have a hard time believing that Odin likes his servants to have principles.

Overrated Sage
Aug 9, 2011

Ooh, did we just stumble across a dose of plot in a side area? I love it when that happens. I could swear I remember hearing Brahms' name mentioned somewhere before, but I'm not sure if it was in this game or if I'm just thinking of the town next to Silent Hill.

Does anything interesting happen if you pause to consider not fighting him, or is that just the "I'm not ready to take on an optional boss" choice?

Overrated Sage
Aug 9, 2011

Maybe it's just me, but any Hero Points Kashell earned from climbing up a cliff should get offset by him falling off a cliff in the first place.

Overrated Sage
Aug 9, 2011

I don't think "Because I'm blind" is a correct answer to the question "Why did you stop singing?"

I also honestly thought that the samurai were undead at first, and I was really confused when there were skeletons on both sides. Those are some convincing masks.

Overrated Sage
Aug 9, 2011

Well, Arngrim is pretty great, I wouldn't be surprised if he could control time. You know, he flexes his left bicep and jumps like ten years in the past, or flexes his right bicep to go to the future.

Overrated Sage
Aug 9, 2011

Personally, I'm voting for Gandar just because he's apparently made of delicious evil and I want to see more of that. Even so, Yumei's animation is a compelling argument to take her instead.

I like that now that you're fighting in the realm of the gods that you can use your old characters again. Actually, I'm just impressed in general with how the game manages to keep your einharjar semi-relevant even if/when you kick them off the team.

Overrated Sage
Aug 9, 2011

Oh yeah, I remember hearing about this guy through my adventures on the internet. It's nice to finally see this Lezard fellow, and by nice I mean horrifying. In one update he's already competing for creepiest video game character, and I have a feeling that by the time this is over he's going to have that dubious honor secured.

I'm also not entirely sure why, but the scene with Lorenta and her husband was genuinely heartbreaking, even more so than some of the other stuff that's happened. I hope we get to at least help her get some vengeance going, but I don't know if that's quite how this is going to work...

Overrated Sage
Aug 9, 2011

Ugh, I hate dungeons that go for the sort of biological feel, especially when the bodily aspects are dangerous. Well, except maybe that one Earthworm Jim level, and that's just cause it was too weird to be gross.

I'm still not really sure where all this is going, but I like how seemingly innoocuous, unrelated events are starting to form a larger picture. I look forward to how this all pans out.

Overrated Sage
Aug 9, 2011

I know this series excels in pointless, tragic deaths, but I think "death by flowers" reigns supreme among them.

...Well, I guess there's still "mermaid who drowned".

Overrated Sage
Aug 9, 2011

I'm noticing that the game doesn't like to refer to Lenneth as Lenneth. It was one thing when it was just her text box caption/stat screens/etc, but it's weird to me that Lucian doesn't refer to her by name here.

...Actually, now that I look back at the OP, the gods did call her Lenneth back then. Maybe I'm just noticing all the times she gets called by her title and not noticing all the times she gets called by her name.

Overrated Sage
Aug 9, 2011

Huh, I was expecting the drama to focus more on Freya and Odin instead of Loki. I'm not even sure I ever really realized Loki was in this game, although in retrospect he was probably in an Einharjar's Valhalla cutscene or something.

Also, I can't decide if Lucian is brilliant or terrible at helping Lenneth here. I can appreciate that he's trying to sort of let her memories return naturally by finding something Platina had or something like that, but at the same time it's kinda ridiculous to go up to a Valkyrie and say "hey, find this earring for no reason, okay?"

Overrated Sage
Aug 9, 2011

All I'm getting out of all this is that Frei is the only more or less not lovely person in Asgard, which is to say I'm sort of hoping she's the mastermind who makes Loki, Odin, and Lezard look like chumps in comparison.

As for the Valkyrie(s)...um, I don't really understand what's going on with her/them. Can someone give me a brief summary of what the deal is with Lenneth and Hrist (and isn't there a third one there somewhere?), or does the game still have enough info to share with us about them that such an explanation would still be to spoilery? So far all I really get is that Hrist is like a failsafe who takes over if Lenneth gets disobedient, but I don't really get if they're supposed to be distinct individuals sharing a body or one person with multiple personalities or what.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Overrated Sage
Aug 9, 2011

This has been a fun LP. I never really knew much about this series, and I've enjoyed the chance to see how crazy these games get. Thanks again, ApplesandOranges!

• Locked thread