Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Penakoto
Aug 21, 2013

I was hoping someone would do a VP LP. One of my all time favorites, I've played it so many times I've lost count.

Belenus is a character I always use early on, but replace with one of the mid-game characters. He's way better than some of the earlier guys, especially one in particular we get soon who I consider to be the worst character, but he's really boring and not especially good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Penakoto
Aug 21, 2013

I always thought it was weird that Arngrim still had all those traits and such, despite being untransferable. As far as I know, putting anything into upgrading or mitigating them is a huge waste.

Penakoto
Aug 21, 2013

Llewynn is pretty bad. Combat, recruitment story, his character in general, other stuff later, all bad.

He also, to me anyways, looks very similar to another character we get later, who's infinitely better and cooler.

Penakoto
Aug 21, 2013

GilliamYaeger posted:

They actually make perfect sense. They want people who won't question their orders, and will gleefully run to their second deaths.

I dunno, there's a transferable character or two who I'd argue are as bad as Arngrim if not worse, as a choice soldier to be in Odins army.

Penakoto
Aug 21, 2013

Fister Roboto posted:

The best part about Llewellyn is you can't even teach him how to swim before you send him up.

But you can make his inability to swim less of a problem!

I... have no idea how that works. Teaching him how to float at least? Magically made to be buoyant? Provided with floaties?

Penakoto
Aug 21, 2013

Llewelyn fought the ocean, and the ocean won.

Penakoto
Aug 21, 2013

I think both upcoming ein's are pretty great, definitely two you can keep around for awhile.

Penakoto fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Mar 26, 2014

Penakoto
Aug 21, 2013

Jun, I like him, not the best character but pretty usable and pretty cool.

For some reason his asking people where to find that cave reminds me of Shenmue. "Do you know where Ogres hang out?"

Penakoto
Aug 21, 2013

Lawfer is pretty great, I prefer another spear user we get later though, even though he/she isn't as good.

Also Lawfer is the guy who to me looks just like Llewelyn.

Penakoto
Aug 21, 2013

Could be the "cool headed" thing is just a mistranslation.

This is a JRPG from the 90s afterall, and VP is full of weird, dumb or awkward text and dialog already.

Penakoto
Aug 21, 2013

Maybe I'm thinking of another impossible to beat JRPG boss, but I thought what happened when you beat Freya, by cheating or legitimately, was that the game crash immediately afterwards.

Penakoto
Aug 21, 2013

Yay, we're gonna get two of my favorite characters this chapter. One is one of the best characters in the game, the other just has one animation I really like (that I hope gets gifed!).

E: Her idle animation, I mean, though her attack animation is great too.

Penakoto fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Apr 7, 2014

Penakoto
Aug 21, 2013

I think that's explained? I'm not sure.

Penakoto
Aug 21, 2013

I like Janus, and while Lenneth is the best archer by far, it's not like there's a lot of unique bows for them to fight over, and they're both generally really easy to combo guys with.

I think the first time I beat the game, it was with Janus, Arngrim and a sorceror we'll be getting relatively soon.

Penakoto
Aug 21, 2013

As I hinted before, I love Yumei just for her animations, particularly her idle animation.

Also she's a mermaid, I'm a girly manly man who likes mermaids.

Penakoto fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Apr 11, 2014

Penakoto
Aug 21, 2013

Also I like to think she does see her parents, it's just not explicitly told through the war reports.

"His wish was granted. But there was no proof of this." The only way his wish could've been granted is if one or both parents were in Valhalla, and her father's name is "Shogun Koh", that sure sounds like a guy that'd make it into warrior heaven, and chances are her mother was a warrior for the merfolk if she met Koh right after he disappeared in a battle.

Penakoto
Aug 21, 2013

I hate Kashell just for his dumb idle animation.

He's got a huge sword (not Arngrim sized, but still pretty huge) and armor, but looks like he's getting ready for a track race.

Penakoto
Aug 21, 2013

Hey ApplesandOranges, do you think you could get a shot of Yumeis idle animation with just her (and I guess Lenneth since she's required)? I got the idea to turn it into a user title avatar, but it doesn't look that great with Kesh and Janus in the shot.

Ratoslov posted:

Kick Jelanda's snobby rear end to the curb. Mermaid supremacy, baby!

Eh, I wanna say this, but Janus is an archer and probably isn't going to be used at all after the next batch of Einherjar, better send him and save sending Jelanda for the inevitable "LENNETH, WE ARE IN NEED OF A MAGE."

Penakoto
Aug 21, 2013

Thanks! Soon as I can I'm using it.

vilkacis posted:

Although come to think of it, how would a medieval fantasy mermaid know what a finger gun is? :confused:

It's a hand-hand-crossbow, she's mimicking Janus!

Penakoto fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Apr 18, 2014

Penakoto
Aug 21, 2013

You got this for $5? It's $100+ on eBay, you are drat lucky.

Blaze Dragon posted:

I don't see why they feel the need to point this out, when it goes for literally everyone in this game as far as I can see.

But seriously, Yumei's cool. Those animations are hilarious. Fingergun!

Not really, a lot of characters have decent life, and in Jelanda's case a luxurious and privileged life, Yumei though... Things were always bad for her, and only got progressively worse after her mother died.

Everyone dies tragically, yeah, but her life sucked from point A to point B.

Penakoto fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Apr 19, 2014

Penakoto
Aug 21, 2013

KataraniSword posted:

On a mechanical level she's worse than Lawfer in every conceivable way and not that great in general, but I always seem to end up using her just because I like her style.

I think she's alright, but otherwise I agree. She's no Lawfer, but few are, and I like her more anyways.

Penakoto
Aug 21, 2013

I prefer pretty much every other mage, I don't dislike Nanami, but she's merely 'ok', in a class type full of great characters who are all mechanically interchangeable.

Her recruitment scene is ok I guess, but beyond it she's nothing special. Everyone else has either a better recruitment scene, or better animations, or in a few cases, both.

That weapon you get with her afterwards is pretty awesome though, the Dragonsbane, if you can get it in Chapter 2 anyways.

Penakoto fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Apr 30, 2014

Penakoto
Aug 21, 2013

I never thought of that last part, regarding Minayo having to pretend to be Nanami. I always figured her parents knew, but were 'ok' with what happened, for lack of a better word.

But it makes sense, how willingly is up for debate considering she was a ghost, but Minayo essentially murdered Nanami so she could take her place, and the parents loved Nanami despite her not being their 'real' daughter. Even though Minayo is their 'real' daughter, they probably wouldn't accept her after what happened in the shrine, even if she explained that it was willing and Nanami ended up getting sent to Valhalla for it.

... Hmm, that makes me wonder, do the people on that island even believe in the same norse beliefs the rest of Midgard does? Would they believe her if she brought up Nanami getting chosen by a Valkyrie and getting sent to Valhalla, or do they have separate beliefs? Their culture is definitely completely different, so it'd make sense to not believe in the same gods or afterlife as the rest of the continent.

Penakoto
Aug 21, 2013

Are you gonna still be taking votes on stuff in the second playthrough?

If you plan on showing off everything, it'd probably be best to do an 'opposite' run, sending up everyone we never did or did late, and keeping people we sent up right away or early.

But then, you could end up with a terrible party doing that... hmm.

Penakoto
Aug 21, 2013

I wonder, how do those lips work? Do you have to wear them around your neck? Or attach them to your own lips? Are the lips sentient and negotiate for you?

Penakoto
Aug 21, 2013

Another question, what is an "angel"? Pretty sure they don't have anything by that name in viking heaven.

I am overthinking a JRPG.

Penakoto
Aug 21, 2013

Badrach is a really cool character, but unfortunately he's also one of the three absolute worst characters in combat.

His sprite also apparently used to smoke a cigarette, but it was removed either entirely of from US/EU copies, that's what I heard a long time ago anyways.

Penakoto
Aug 21, 2013

Omobono posted:

His damage is bottom of the barrel, but doesn't he have extremely good crystal and gem generation combos, or am I confusing him for some other Einherjar?

He does, but it's at best a niche use.

His damage, combo and PWS is so bad if it wasn't for the crystal thing he's be just a small step above having an empty party slot, and if it wasn't for one other guy being as bad with but no niche use, he'd be the games worst character by far.

Penakoto
Aug 21, 2013

Jayle, she's alright gameplay wise, but she's got one of my favorite recruitment sequences and I like her design.

Penakoto
Aug 21, 2013

Poulpe posted:

First glance: Did he just take a harpoon to the rear end? :stare:

Looks like a thick crossbow bolt to me, that bow shouldn't even be able to fire something that small.

Which is weird, because I'm pretty sure the crossbow Janus fires in his scenario fired a long arrow-like projectile. Maybe image files got swapped?

Penakoto fucked around with this message at 21:18 on May 12, 2014

Penakoto
Aug 21, 2013

cdyoung posted:

That's his sword sheath. He was shot in the shoulder.

The guy before is talking about his sheath, I was talking about the actual projectile that came from the bow, mistakingly in response.

You see it fly towards Lucian, but not stuck in him.

Penakoto
Aug 21, 2013

Those Samurais have the most bad-rear end looking armor.

Skull faces, huge horns and pauldron spikes, hell yeah! :black101:

Penakoto
Aug 21, 2013

I loved this part when I first played it, you're just exploring some ruined castle and suddenly, boom, you find a time machine in the basement.

It sends you back in time, and in the past find a bunch of your einherjar and a woman who looks like you, and they're doing some evil poo poo.

It's just so unexpected and cool.

Penakoto
Aug 21, 2013

I'm going with Lucian, Lawfer and Yumei in the poll.

Lucian because he'll not be in our party much in the hard mode playthrough, Lawfer because this is the best opportunity to show off how good he is, Yumei because <--- and I want her to get sent up next playthrough soon after recruiting her.

Penakoto
Aug 21, 2013

EightFlyingCars posted:

Use the worst characters. I forget who they are, but use them.

Grey, Badrach and Llewelyn are who I'd say are it.

Grey is definitely the worst, the former two have their uses at least, experience thievery and "we are in need of archers!" fodder, but Grey is bad with no niche use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Penakoto
Aug 21, 2013

Glazius posted:

Even if that was the bad ending, it didn't exactly feel bad. Freya wasn't sinister or anything, she was just like "good job you earned a rest".

Well, technically the bad ending is the one where Freya says you're broken and eliminates you and your party, the C ending.

B is a decent ending, you don't learn anything and might be part of some godly conspiracy, but hey, you won a nice little victory regardless.

Penakoto fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Jun 8, 2014

• Locked thread