Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Barkwire is a social media website where dog enthusiasts of Shaggy Butte can get together to dish about the latest goings-on in the vibrant canine community.

Latest Update (01-14-2015) Hazard and Meathook
Also recent: A Herd of Dog Classifieds (7-16-2015)

Read all that Barkwire has to offer but still hunger for more dogs? Just check your local Dog Classified Ads. Chances are you'll find a dog for you. I call dibs on the Gravity-Challenged dog.

If that's not enough, you can vicariously live out your dreams of stardom with the Kennel Fair Dog Pageant! Not for the faint of heart, though, those rejection letters are sometimes a grim inevitability.

If you wish to go the full monty, you can always name your actual real-live dog the Livestock way by browsing this list of dog names he has assembled. You'll probably recognize a few from his articles, but there are many more to choose from. Dibs on Aguirre, the Wrath of Dog, which I will bestow upon the gravity challenged dog I will be soon obtaining.

Tuxedo Ted fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Jul 16, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hot Legless Cats
Feb 22, 2006

.;~*~ Hi Haters ~*~;.
BiGDOG tells it like it is! Sounds like you just got smacked on the snout with some more truth.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer
"Probably the most overrated dog since Lassie."

How I've missed you, BigDog.

Livestock
Jan 22, 2001

TOO SEXY FOR DEMOCRACY
Thanks, everyone! I have a lot of goofy stuff planned for this new storyline, and they won't all be as plot-heavy as this one.

Also it's been like 5 years since the last one, and I'm tired of Panzer so I left that joke behind. Even BigDog has to move on and grow up a little.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984
Artie has always been my favorite. Please never kill off Artie! :pray:

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
My favorite part was the review complaining about the spout.ly reviewers.

Ema Nymton
Apr 26, 2008

the place where I come from
is a small town
Buglord
:supaburn: Oh my heavens it's a new Barkwire!

And now that it's an app, it's even more plausible than before to imagine Barkwire existing in real life.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
I picked a good day to remember that the front page exists. Good stuff man.

Vesi
Jan 12, 2005

pikachu looking at?
http://www.somethingawful.com/news/barkwire-caribe-ozark/

it's starting to look like it was Thriller who did it out of jealous rage, Ozark just tried to defend her but failed

Green Wing
Oct 28, 2013

It's the only word they know, but it's such a big word for a tiny creature

Ozark nooo :(

This is like Twin Peaks but with dogs and via a website and ok, maybe it isn't that much like Twin Peaks.

Marf Revus
Apr 20, 2010

Meh
So glad these are back, I've missed them. They were a huge part of the reason I came to this site so often before registering.

Onomarchus
Jun 4, 2005

I'm not convinced Ozark is dead. How would you even tell?

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
I like the fact that BD's reviews have gotten hella reasonable lately, like all the old ones were just cherry picked from a super spergy guy who actually knows his subject really well and is mostly a useful fountain of knowledge except when he occasionally and predictably flips his poo poo.

Vesi
Jan 12, 2005

pikachu looking at?
I was checking up on some dogfacts on wikipedia and noticed:

quote:

The dog known as "The Auditor" is assumed to be a Puli.[10] It lived in the contaminated Berkeley Pit copper mine in Butte, Montana. Notable for being one of the few things that could live, and thrive in such a place, in time it became a sort of mascot for the town. After The Auditor died, several memorials were erected, celebrating its existence.
maybe it's well known to you americans but was news to me at least

edit: found the story

Vesi fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Mar 26, 2014

Livestock
Jan 22, 2001

TOO SEXY FOR DEMOCRACY

Vesi posted:

I was checking up on some dogfacts on wikipedia and noticed:

maybe it's well known to you americans but was news to me at least

edit: found the story

The Auditor was the inspiration for Ozark, and has even been referenced directly in one of the old BigDog's Dog Blogs. In one of them, I linked to a Montana Standard article about The Auditor, which caused it to resurface as one of their "top 5 articles" or whatever. Then somebody from the newspaper commented that the article had resurfaced because it was linked from a popular dog blog, giving BigDog a nice air of legitimacy. Sadly, it looks like the article is no longer online, or at least I'm too lazy to find it.

Supraluminal
Feb 17, 2012

Livestock posted:

The Auditor was the inspiration for Ozark, and has even been referenced directly in one of the old BigDog's Dog Blogs. In one of them, I linked to a Montana Standard article about The Auditor, which caused it to resurface as one of their "top 5 articles" or whatever. Then somebody from the newspaper commented that the article had resurfaced because it was linked from a popular dog blog, giving BigDog a nice air of legitimacy. Sadly, it looks like the article is no longer online, or at least I'm too lazy to find it.

To bring this full circle, I think that must be where I first learned about The Auditor, which was exactly what Ozark reminded me of while reading this installment of Barkwire.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

If I ever get a dog, I'm going to have to comb over every edition of Barkwire for the perfect name. Some of these are incredible (Barquise de Sade? Hairy Dog Stanton? Gold).

Scale Model Giant
Jan 19, 2009

Dolash posted:

If I ever get a dog, I'm going to have to comb over every edition of Barkwire for the perfect name. Some of these are incredible (Barquise de Sade? Hairy Dog Stanton? Gold).

This should make things a little easier for you.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I'm so glad these are back. This is pretty much my favorite front page thing ever on SA.

I wonder what happened between BigDog and Panzer :ohdear:

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Thanks, I was looking for this while updating the OP with other dog-related articles but couldn't find it.

Grope-A-Matic
Nov 16, 2008

sigh... you really suck at hand
to hand combat i wont lie and
this is way more challenging
then i thought it would be. to
teach you hand to hand combat,
alright i will try to teach you
some more hand to hand combat
Is it reasonable to assume that Meathook's "evil father" was Vermin?

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)

Grope-A-Matic posted:

Is it reasonable to assume that Meathook's "evil father" was Vermin?

Maybe we need to start a Barkwire/Shaggy Buttes wikia with family trees?

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you work with Turkeys!!

Senator lives?!

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
The new article is currently full of 404 images, so you might want to look into that.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

The Joe Man posted:

Artie has always been my favorite. Please never kill off Artie! :pray:

BarkWire posted:

It should have been Cleaver, not Artie that Mayor Cobb had executed.

You'll rue this day, Mayor Cobb!!!

:argh:

Livestock
Jan 22, 2001

TOO SEXY FOR DEMOCRACY

axleblaze posted:

The new article is currently full of 404 images, so you might want to look into that.

Hmmm, everything is showing up fine on my end. Are other SA articles doing the same?

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Livestock posted:

Hmmm, everything is showing up fine on my end. Are other SA articles doing the same?

It's just the Barkwire article, and I tried loading it up in a different broswer and got the same thing that looks like this:

Looking back it appears to be doing it in the other Barkwire articles for me.

Edit: The pictures of the actual dogs are loading fine, but whatever is being used as a divider is the thing that seems not to be loading.

axelblaze fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Apr 23, 2014

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.
I'm getting the same issue.

Livestock
Jan 22, 2001

TOO SEXY FOR DEMOCRACY

axleblaze posted:

It's just the Barkwire article, and I tried loading it up in a different broswer and got the same thing that looks like this:

Looking back it appears to be doing it in the other Barkwire articles for me.

Edit: The pictures of the actual dogs are loading fine, but whatever is being used as a divider is the thing that seems not to be loading.

I'll take a look when I get home in a couple hours. No clue what would be causing that, and why it's not impacting me at work (or at home).

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
It appears to be working now.

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
Ahahaaha the picture for Barquis de Sade is just perfect.

The Angry Colossal
Dec 25, 2008

Binging through the rest of Livestock's dog updates as a refresher, I must wonder if the pageantry circuit was just too much for the Barquis de Sade's mind to handle, or if it's just a really popular name.

Livestock
Jan 22, 2001

TOO SEXY FOR DEMOCRACY

The Angry Colossal posted:

Binging through the rest of Livestock's dog updates as a refresher, I must wonder if the pageantry circuit was just too much for the Barquis de Sade's mind to handle, or if it's just a really popular name.

Oops, forgot I used that name. Oh well, BarkWire and Kennel Fair are two different dogverses.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

The latest Barkwire is in, and things are getting serious. I mean really, what's up with Whoops?

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you work with Turkeys!!

Whoops may be my new favorite, even if his terms and conditions statement is too long.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Livestock posted:

Oops, forgot I used that name. Oh well, BarkWire and Kennel Fair are two different dogverses.

Barquise de Sade is on my short list if I ever name a dog, so it wouldn't surprise me if more than one dog in town would have that name. Then again, Shaggy Butte doesn't seem to have any dogs with the same name, or any normal dog names like "Fido" or "Spike".

Also the idea of a dog that emits a wifi signal is hilarious enough that the guys in my lab sat around speculating how you could pull it off for a good half-hour after we read this update.

neoboman
Feb 16, 2007
The WiFi Hotspot dog is the funniest thing I've read recently.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
I'll never get tired of reading reviews of made up dogs.

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!
ELMO STEPHENS is the only one with a heart. :smith:

I'm not certain why this ridiculous conveyance for a ridiculous story is working so very well, but it really, really is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
"The public hanging still haunts me. Dog bodies weren't designed to be hung." made me laugh way more than it should've.

Also poor Blue Yonder :smith:

• Locked thread