Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

Dolash posted:

Barquise de Sade is on my short list if I ever name a dog, so it wouldn't surprise me if more than one dog in town would have that name. Then again, Shaggy Butte doesn't seem to have any dogs with the same name, or any normal dog names like "Fido" or "Spike".

Also the idea of a dog that emits a wifi signal is hilarious enough that the guys in my lab sat around speculating how you could pull it off for a good half-hour after we read this update.

Don't overlook Mao Zedog. Or Mao Tse Dog if you swing Wade-Giles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grope-A-Matic
Nov 16, 2008

sigh... you really suck at hand
to hand combat i wont lie and
this is way more challenging
then i thought it would be. to
teach you hand to hand combat,
alright i will try to teach you
some more hand to hand combat

gleebster posted:

Don't overlook Mao Zedog. Or Mao Tse Dog if you swing Wade-Giles.

I really liked Canayne Rand.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc
Space Cult sounds like a very interesting dog.

And I am very surprised to find out how much I need BigDog in my life. I had all but forgotten about the original articles, but he's such a perfect parody, but about the stupidest possible topic.

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you work with Turkeys!!

I want more installments of BigDog's Dog Blog. And I'm very interested in his podcast.

Onomarchus
Jun 4, 2005

Barkansas.

(Also, Ruff Trade.)

ASMR Yodeling
Nov 16, 2008

So tingly!
Tell me more about this dog monogamy ballot.

I think I live next to Elmo Stephens. I fully expect to get axe'd in the head one day.

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

Well now that Elmo Stevens is following Space Cult it's only a manner of time.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

This is the best front page thing SA has ever had. I badly want to listen to an episode of Bigdog's podcast. By the way, BiGDOG said that Bug died of a heart attack, but others mention him being murdered, not sure what's up with that. Loving the BigDog character and how he's now praising dogs he downplayed when they were current in s1.

Hope reminds me of Laura Palmer.

Dr. Hurt
Oct 23, 2010

Baby Babbeh posted:

Well now that Elmo Stevens is following Space Cult it's only a manner of time.

Elmo Stevens will follow any dog that wags its tail. This is not that big a feat on the part of Space Cult.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

axleblaze posted:

I'm so glad these are back. This is pretty much my favorite front page thing ever on SA.

I wonder what happened between BigDog and Panzer :ohdear:

I'm also very curious. BigDog used to plug Panzer in every post, but abruptly stopped with no explanation. If anything, that mystery is bugging me even more than Hope's unsolved murder.
BigDog doesn't even mention Panzer in his several latest lists of "greats," which seems to indicate that he has actually stopped considering Panzer "great" altogether as opposed to something happening to Panzer which took him out of circulation among the Dogs of Shaggy Butte (unless the incident is too painful for BigDog to even mention I guess).

I guess we won't know for sure until we see Panzer's Barkwire review in a front page post, which will no doubt chronicle the rise and fall of BigDog's enthusiasm for the greatest dog of all time.

Livestock
Jan 22, 2001

TOO SEXY FOR DEMOCRACY

Applewhite posted:

I'm also very curious. BigDog used to plug Panzer in every post, but abruptly stopped with no explanation. If anything, that mystery is bugging me even more than Hope's unsolved murder.
BigDog doesn't even mention Panzer in his several latest lists of "greats," which seems to indicate that he has actually stopped considering Panzer "great" altogether as opposed to something happening to Panzer which took him out of circulation among the Dogs of Shaggy Butte (unless the incident is too painful for BigDog to even mention I guess).

I guess we won't know for sure until we see Panzer's Barkwire review in a front page post, which will no doubt chronicle the rise and fall of BigDog's enthusiasm for the greatest dog of all time.

The real answer is that I didn't want to keep re-using the same joke. Plus, six years have passed since the original BarkWire run ended (at least in terms of story, it's probably closer to 4 in terms publication dates), and it seemed reasonable to have him evolve a tiny bit. It's also very intentional that some of the dogs he names as being great are dogs he badmouthed in the original run. It's sort of a play on "the forums were better 2 years ago" attitude that's existed on this site forever.

I don't know that I'll ever do a Panzer review, though I have a couple ideas how to do it. I just think the mystery is probably better than any real answer.

Supraluminal
Feb 17, 2012
Congratulations, Livestock. Your series of parody dog reviews has spawned followers who are just as serious and unhealthily obsessed as the dog reviewers you were parodying.

(It's pretty great!)

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Supraluminal posted:

Congratulations, Livestock. Your series of parody dog reviews has spawned followers who are just as serious and unhealthily obsessed as the dog reviewers you were parodying.

(It's pretty great!)

Hey now, it's not like I'm sitting in a white box van watching Livestock through binoculars or anything. I mean... like... not that exact thing.

But seriously, I really enjoy the craftsmanship that goes into the Shaggy-Butte 'verse (I dunno what you guys call it) and the way all the stories are interconnected. Tracking all the various storylines is part of the fun (for me at least).

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Livestock posted:

The real answer is that I didn't want to keep re-using the same joke. Plus, six years have passed since the original BarkWire run ended (at least in terms of story, it's probably closer to 4 in terms publication dates), and it seemed reasonable to have him evolve a tiny bit. It's also very intentional that some of the dogs he names as being great are dogs he badmouthed in the original run. It's sort of a play on "the forums were better 2 years ago" attitude that's existed on this site forever.

I don't know that I'll ever do a Panzer review, though I have a couple ideas how to do it. I just think the mystery is probably better than any real answer.

I think it's probably for the best to never address the Panzer thing, but I think what would work if it's kind of brought up third hand by someone having a forum meltdown on Bigdog.

Onomarchus
Jun 4, 2005

Applewhite posted:

Maybe he (Panzer) went county. County dogs, man, county dogs.

I couldn't buy into the mystery of Hope's murder that much because it didn't seem to me that a single dog killed her the way many doggers seem to think. What it seemed like to me was that a bunch of possessive male dogs (plus a handful of jealous female dogs) at the park found out she was pregnant (and the males probably knew or thought they weren't the father) and set upon her to attack her, to gang rape her, or both. I figured she died as a result of multiple injuries from different dogs. Now, though, I don't know. Maybe there was a single murderer. BigDog seems to have the inside scoop, as usual, but unlike normal he hasn't been telling one and all exactly what happened.

Livestock
Jan 22, 2001

TOO SEXY FOR DEMOCRACY

Onomarchus posted:

Maybe he (Panzer) went county. County dogs, man, county dogs.

I couldn't buy into the mystery of Hope's murder that much because it didn't seem to me that a single dog killed her the way many doggers seem to think. What it seemed like to me was that a bunch of possessive male dogs (plus a handful of jealous female dogs) at the park found out she was pregnant (and the males probably knew or thought they weren't the father) and set upon her to attack her, to gang rape her, or both. I figured she died as a result of multiple injuries from different dogs. Now, though, I don't know. Maybe there was a single murderer. BigDog seems to have the inside scoop, as usual, but unlike normal he hasn't been telling one and all exactly what happened.

I can assure you that I will never include a gang rape in anything I write, let alone a story about dogs.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Livestock posted:

I can assure you that I will never include a gang rape in anything I write, let alone a story about dogs.

Thank you for not being beholden to the whims of the poster who said "I suspect dog gang rape in these funny internet dog review stories", because that is a pretty weird thing to write!

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I have to admit that while reading these the concept of "gang rape" or even "rape" never really entered my mind. Maybe I'm just missing the subtleties of the ongoing story though. Livestock, if that's what you were going for I want to personally apologize for misinterpreting your work.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

I'm worried that one guy who offers to shoot dogs in every review is going to go on a rampage.

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

Gina McCarthy made us gay,
but we would not have met
had Biden not dropped his cones
:gaysper::frogbon:
What does is the definition of "skeletonize"? I've seen this term pop up multiple times in Shaggy Butte articles. Are the denizens of the town simply too stupid to understand the concept of decomposition?

edit: Oh man, I should've Googled it first. Reading Barkwire articles was the first time I had ever encountered it!

Leroy Dennui fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Sep 1, 2014

Dr. Hurt
Oct 23, 2010

Imagine piranhas in a cartoon. These dogs are eating so fast that all they leave behind is an adorable skeleton.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Leroy Dennui posted:

What does is the definition of "skeletonize"? I've seen this term pop up multiple times in Shaggy Butte articles. Are the denizens of the town simply too stupid to understand the concept of decomposition?

The term is actually semi-common. I know it was used to describe Teddy Roosevelt's experience where he was shown what happen when you drop a cow into water with (starved, angrier-than normal) piranhas.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

It's not Barkwire, but it may scratch an itch. HEH.

Dibs on the dog that flaunts its stuff.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

i dunno if everyone saw this, but there are dogspotting rules now.

i totalled up my day yesterday, and i got a devastating -30 for seeing a tiny dog being carried in a baby sling (-2 + -4) and then 4 tiny dogs being walked together (-8 x 4 multispot bonus).

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

Orthodox rules are brutal if you live in the city, where people mostly have apartment-sized dogs. On the other hand, it's great if you live somewhere like Saratoga, CA that's a suburb for middle-aged tech millionaires to fill their mcmansions with purebred dogs that eat gluten free.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

FirstPersonShitter posted:

i dunno if everyone saw this, but there are dogspotting rules now.

i totalled up my day yesterday, and i got a devastating -30 for seeing a tiny dog being carried in a baby sling (-2 + -4) and then 4 tiny dogs being walked together (-8 x 4 multispot bonus).

Well, I guess that's it.

Nothing will ever be funnier than dogspotting.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

i joined the dogspotting facebook group and there are really arguments over dogspotting rules. my facebook feed is now full of creepshots of dogs too, it kind of owns.

Vesi
Jan 12, 2005

pikachu looking at?
one day we'll wake up to a world where spout.ly exists too

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

This facebook group is a new national treasure

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Barkwire is good.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
My headcanon for BiGDog took a huge hit this update. I'm gonna have to update my fanfics.
I'd always pictured him as more blue-collar, barrel-bodied ex-military type with a RAV-4 pickup and stereotypical Republican pretentions. Now he sounds a lot more like a thinner version of Comic Book Guy. And a podcast? Come on, the BiGDoG I know would never lower himself to such pandering.

Up till this update I'd always shipped BiGDoG x Angelic_Groomer but now... ugh. There's no way A_G would go for a weedy hipster like Podcast!BiGDoG

I think you've finally jumped the shark, Livestock.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Now wait a year for me to nostaligcally recall this update as I bash the latest one.

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug
0 Comments.
Tellin' it like it is.

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

It's hilarious that BiGDog not only has a six hour podcast, but that he apparently has sponsors for his six hour podcast.

Dr. Hurt
Oct 23, 2010

You know everyone in shaggy butte listens to BiGDog's podcasts. Probably just to make fun of him, but they still listen to it.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Dr. Hurt posted:

You know everyone in shaggy butte listens to BiGDog's podcasts. Probably just to make fun of him, but they still listen to it.

Podcast, technically. He's only released the one so far.

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

Gina McCarthy made us gay,
but we would not have met
had Biden not dropped his cones
:gaysper::frogbon:

Applewhite posted:

Now he sounds a lot more like a thinner version of Comic Book Guy

"Compost. No doubt about it. This is one POSM (P.O.S. MUTT). While yours truly was out and about, this hideous mutt launched into attack mode. Luckily BiGDOG knows a thing or two about fighting off dogs. I evaded this dumb pooch by ducking into a nearby Dairy Queen. By the time I finished my second Reese's Pieces Blizzard, that dog was long gone and BiGDOG was much satiated. Nice try, dumbass. Nobody - and I mean body - bests this guy."

No matter what, I can't help but hear Three Dog's voice when I read BiGDOG's posts. He obviously shouldn't sound like Three Dog, but it's just too fun to read his posts in that voice.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Leroy Dennui posted:

"Compost. No doubt about it. This is one POSM (P.O.S. MUTT). While yours truly was out and about, this hideous mutt launched into attack mode. Luckily BiGDOG knows a thing or two about fighting off dogs. I evaded this dumb pooch by ducking into a nearby Dairy Queen. By the time I finished my second Reese's Pieces Blizzard, that dog was long gone and BiGDOG was much satiated. Nice try, dumbass. Nobody - and I mean body - bests this guy."

No matter what, I can't help but hear Three Dog's voice when I read BiGDOG's posts. He obviously shouldn't sound like Three Dog, but it's just too fun to read his posts in that voice.

Thin-er, not thin. He's obviously still a little... "husky" 8)

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
"THIS DOG. THIS GODFORSAKENED DOG."

My wife thinks I'm insane now. Good job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Treatguy really is a pretty disturbing.

• Locked thread