Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Heavenator
Feb 28, 2011

BangBangBang! Commando of the Galaxy

Jak 2 was a radical departure from the previous game, switching from a brightly coloured platformer, to a grim-toned open world-ish action-adventure game. A whole bunch of people hated it, but gently caress them I think this game is great. Another change is that they made the game much harder, anyone who has played this game probably remembers one or two missions for being ridiculously difficult.

It was released by Naughty Dog in 2003, and released in HD in 2012. The HD conversion was done by Mass Media, who really haven't done much of note besides porting things.

Episode 1: Good job hero Cut | Uncut
Episode 2: LP Conspiracy Cut | Uncut
Episode 3: Cocaine Powered Superhero Cut | Uncut
Episode 4: The Best Feet Cut | Uncut
Episode 5: Collect All the Bags of Drugs Cut | Uncut
Episode 6: Gimme' Them Digits Cut | Uncut
Episode 7: *Ape Eats Green Beans* Cut | Uncut
Episode 8: Inside Jokes.mp4 Cut | Uncut
Episode 9: Push the Konami Code in Cut | Uncut
Episode 10: Basically We're Just an Eco-terrorist Cut | Uncut
Episode 11: Too Sick Nasty Cut | Uncut
Episode 12: Hobbit Buddies Cut | Uncut
Episode 13: Hot Meat Injection Cut | Uncut
Episode 14: I Think You Should Buy us Dinner First Cut | Uncut
Episode 15: That was Entirely Pointless Cut | Uncut
Episode 16: Hey, Really Giger Cut | Uncut
Episode 17: The Ugly One Cut | Uncut

The Anthology of Failure
Volume 1: Jak and Daxter's Pro Skater
Volume 2: Happiness is a Warm Gun
Volume 3: Jetboarding is Not a Crime

THREAD RULES

1. There will be weekly updates, every Wedensday/Thursday. This isn't really a rule but whatever.
2. NO SPOILERS. At all, even behind tags. I don't care if you think the story is dumb, please don't talk about poo poo before it happens.

The Heavenator fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Jul 31, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Heavenator
Feb 28, 2011

CAST

Jak
VA: Mike Erwin
Our Hero, now has super powers after being expirmented on with dark eco for two years.

Daxter
VA: Max Casella
Jak's annoying friend who got turned into an ottsel in the first game. Also an ottsel is an otter and weasel combination.

Samos the Sage
VA: Warren Burton
Sage of green eco. Has a log on his head, is constantly angry. Location unknown since arriving in the city.

Keira
VA: Anna Garduno
Daugther of Samos, and Jak's kinda girlfriend. She's really good at build and repairing stuff. Location unknown since arriving in the city. Totally doesn't work at the race track. Nope. Totally not her at all.

Baron Praxis
VA: Clancy Brown
Ruler of Haven City. Huge ham who loves eating the scenery.

Erol
VA: David Herman
Leader of the Krimzon Guard. He's a huge jerk.

Kor
VA: Sherman Howard
Random old guy. He has amazing sideburns.

Torn
VA: Cutter Garcia
Member of the Underground. Always sounds really angry. Kinda useless in this game.

Krew
VA: William Minkin
Fat crime lord. Secretly Canadian.

Sig
VA: Phil LaMarr
The second best character, but all his missions are terrible.

Rubble
VA: Nolan North
The best character.

Vin
VA: Rob Benedict
The constantly terrified nerd character. He's okay. Or at least he's better than Torn (gently caress that guy).

Tess
VA: Britton A. Hill
Bartender at Hip Hog Heaven saloon, and Underground member.

Ashelin
VA: Susan Eisenberg
Female Krimson Guard member with a flagrant disregard for uniform regulations.

Pecker
VA: Chris Cox
Onin's interpreter. Somehow worse than Daxter.

The Heavenator fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Apr 19, 2014

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I don't care what everyone says. This is my favourite game in the series, and my favourite game on the PS2. Motorcycles are awesome too though. They don't explode if they never get hit.

SirSamVimes fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Mar 13, 2014

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
Easily the best game of the series and any one who says otherwise is a dumb and a stupid so there.

I like how the gameplay keeps expanding and building on itself the whole game through and you get introduced to a lot of entertaining characters constantly and how everybody kind of gets a moment to shine by the end of the game and how the narrative builds on itself.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
I, too, really loved this game. The jump in gameplay and story is phenomenal. It's so unlike Jak & Daxter and many ways. Though I feel this game has issues with difficulty spikes, and still feel Jak 3 was superior. There, I said it.

Killrrhubarb
Feb 11, 2014

Girl you like them plants?
I'm also in the camp that Jak 3 was superior. Also, am I right that though the motorcycle type vehicles in this game have 1 HP, they move a lot faster?

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Killrrhubarb posted:

I'm also in the camp that Jak 3 was superior. Also, am I right that though the motorcycle type vehicles in this game have 1 HP, they move a lot faster?

Yes. They move much MUCH faster and handle better too.

Killrrhubarb
Feb 11, 2014

Girl you like them plants?

SirSamVimes posted:

Yes. They move much MUCH faster and handle better too.

Yeah, I remember mostly using the Motorcycle type vehicles because even though they only had 1 HP, they moved faster, handled better, and had smaller hitboxes.

ScurvyKip
May 15, 2009

Look Rubedo, I'm free!
Out of all the PS2 Jak games, this is the only one I don't own, but it's one of my favorite platformers because it's actually challenging. I think it lacks the polish that the first and third game has, however. Are you going to be getting all the orbs?

The Heavenator
Feb 28, 2011

ScurvyKip posted:

Are you going to be getting all the orbs?

I will be getting all of the orbs that are in the levels. The side mission stuff, no because they are all pretty lovely. At least not on camera. I am also planning on getting all the orbs on stuff we haven't seen yet. In any case I will get enough to unlock all the cheats.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy
And he's only doing it because I whined at him about it.

JordanKai posted:

Also you guys are all sillies the original Jak & Daxter is clearly the best game in the series. :smug:

OH LOOK JORDAN AND I DISAGREE ON OUR OPINIONS ABOUT VIDEO GAMES WHAT ELSE IS NEW

(also not saying jak 1 is bad but its just the worst in the main trilogy)

kalonZombie fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Mar 14, 2014

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Jak II is the one game in the J&D trilogy that I can't get myself to slog through another time. So Godspeed to you, Heavenator, for doing it for me. :patriot:

Also you guys are all sillies the original Jak & Daxter is clearly the best game in the series. :smug:

The Heavenator
Feb 28, 2011

Episode 2: LP Conspiracy Cut | Uncut

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Love this game, I remember being in tears of joy when I finally beat it; this was the first game that I played that was actually hard. I prefer Jak III though honestly.

My favorite fun fact of the series is that Samos is voiced by the guy who played the evil boss in Phantasmagoria 2 A Puzzle of the Flesh.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
The motorcycle is the only vehicle to use, thank you very much. :colbert:

I don't think Jak II is a bad game, but some of the checkpointing is awful, some of the missions are terrible, and I just like the world in Jak and Daxter much better. Jak III I couldn't even get through. I stopped like four hours in.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

morallyobjected posted:

I don't think Jak II is a bad game, but some of the checkpointing is awful, some of the missions are terrible, and I just like the world in Jak and Daxter much better. Jak III I couldn't even get through. I stopped like four hours in.

Jak III was a godsend for me. I love the Jak games AND I love Mad Max. Also, seconding what was said in the last video, I really enjoyed the gun combat more in the third game--although I enjoyed it in the second game as well. Despite "handling" better, Jak & Daxter was my least favourite game in the series because of the story and location. It felt kind of generic, frankly. I know Jak II went a little overboard with the attitude and grimdark at parts, I genuinely thought the combination of platformer and free-roaming with vehicles in a dystopian future was a really interesting fusion.

morallyobjected posted:

The motorcycle is the only vehicle to use, thank you very much. :colbert:

But yeah, the hovercycle rocks.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

While it doesn't have as many guns as R&C and the guns aren't as massive and fancy, I feel like that they work really well. They all have a wonderful feel to them, and feel like they have an impact. And the way the music changes when you take a gun out is great.

The Heavenator
Feb 28, 2011

morallyobjected posted:

but some of the checkpointing is awful,

Yeah, the checkpointing is the worst part of the game for me. Pretty sure I mentioned it in the video, but in the Protect Sig mission there are no checkpoints. There are a lot of mission that have no checkpoints which can make things really annoying considering the game is fairly difficult at times. Other than that this game is great.

Also, someone in youtube comments mentioned this but all the hovercars do have brakes. Generally they are loving useless so I don't use them. It is far easier to turn by letting of the gas. Also for whatever reason the throttle does have analog control, not that you would ever use it.

The Heavenator fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Mar 20, 2014

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Jak 3 would be a better game if it weren't for the pacing issues. Something like three of every four of the game's early missions are vehicle missions. It isn't until later that you start to see some good platforming.

Also Jak 3 has the most painfully unfun mission in the entire series.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Man, I haven't played Jak II since high school. I do remember it being soul-crushingly hard at certain points, so I'm excited to see you tackle those.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Another thing that goes hand in hand with the bad checkpointing is the fact that if you die, you don't get your ammo back

Bricoleur
Feb 1, 2012

Jak 2 is one of my favorite games. I absolutely loved how much it built and expanded on the first game, and went from a cute mild platformer to something much more distinct and complex.

And I'm probably one of the few people who like Daxter.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

FactsAreUseless posted:

Jak 3 would be a better game if it weren't for the pacing issues. Something like three of every four of the game's early missions are vehicle missions. It isn't until later that you start to see some good platforming.

Also Jak 3 has the most painfully unfun mission in the entire series.

I remember loving the vehicle missions because MAD MAX, but it's been years since I've played. What was the most painfully unfun mission? Was it one of the stationary turret ones?

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING
So wait, the metalheads are new, but they're the ancient enemy of the Precursors? What gives?

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I'm pretty sure I've played dozens of hours of this game across a whole bunch of playthroughs, but I've not once beaten the last boss. Looks like I finally get to see what lies beyond.

I'll throw in my vote that Jak 2 is by far the best in the series.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Blind Sally posted:

I remember loving the vehicle missions because MAD MAX, but it's been years since I've played. What was the most painfully unfun mission? Was it one of the stationary turret ones?
The lovely Pac-Man clone.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Dr. Buttass posted:

So wait, the metalheads are new, but they're the ancient enemy of the Precursors? What gives?

Haha, sorry, I don't think that gets fully explained until Jak III.

McGwee
May 1, 2012

Yay I've been waiting for some brave goon to finish an lp of this. Goonspeed.

For some of the more... tramatic missions could you perhaps show us a failure reel? Gotta get that full Jak 2.

The Heavenator
Feb 28, 2011

McGwee posted:

Yay I've been waiting for some brave goon to finish an lp of this. Goonspeed.

For some of the more... tramatic missions could you perhaps show us a failure reel? Gotta get that full Jak 2.

Yeah, I will try to give you the full Jak experience. I have plans for certain missions, which I think the thread will like. A failure reel might be going up as a bonus as early as next update or the one after that, depending on how I edit my raws.

The Heavenator
Feb 28, 2011

Episode 3: Cocaine Powered Superhero Cut | Uncut

The Heavenator fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Mar 26, 2014

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

Video is private.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
It's coming up as private.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy
WAY TO GO HEAVE.

EDIT: VVV Oh gently caress you guys, this is no way my fault. This is all Heave. Stop bein' jerks. Stop. Quit it. :colbert:

kalonZombie fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Mar 26, 2014

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
this is what Kalon does to every LP he gets involved with

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

It's like he's a magnet for video errors.

The Heavenator
Feb 28, 2011

I'm dumb and didn't check these before I went to work. They're fine now.

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

good loving luck

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
Ah yes, Snowflame was glorious in just how completely loving stupid he was as a villain idea.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

This was a fun game, mostly, except that one mission. Which I heard alarming cracking noises coming from my controller on.

And of course I did it on my first try when I replayed the game years later because I didn't entirely suck at videogames by then. I think this is probably better but probably my favorite mission in the series is that one hang gliding mission in Jak 3. It's very peaceful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
Snowflame is DC, not Marvel comics. And he's awesome.

• Locked thread