Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

And taxis are still a fuckload cheaper than a DUI, I'd that's the reason you're taking them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

No Wave posted:

I wish you guys would eat better, you're making frugality look unhealthy
Every extra dollar you spend on vegetables/fruit/lean meat now is saving you a gazillion dollars in healthcare costs later. :v: (At least it is if you live in the US)

...says the woman who had canned soup for lunch today. I like cooking, but making good soup escapes me. :(

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
If I needed to watch stuff on my TV today I would just hook up the Xbox 360 for streaming files from my PC (I only had issues with certain formats) and then I would spend like $50-99 bucks for a Roku.

Anyway, bad news, we ate out and bought beer today :( I know, I know, :entitlement: but I couldn't resist eating out with my wife on our anniversary. Seriously, it was great and worth every penny.

Haifisch posted:

Every extra dollar you spend on vegetables/fruit/lean meat now is saving you a gazillion dollars in healthcare costs later. :v: (At least it is if you live in the US)

Sephiroth_IRA fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Mar 19, 2014

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Dude you can eat out and drink beer...my word. If you have a budget for it and enjoy it no big deal. We have $150 a month in our budget which is basically 2 nights out with drinks and a few lunches a month. You have to enjoy life a little.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

spwrozek posted:

Dude you can eat out and drink beer...my word. If you have a budget for it and enjoy it no big deal. We have $150 a month in our budget which is basically 2 nights out with drinks and a few lunches a month. You have to enjoy life a little.

Seneca says that your enjoyment of life ought not depend on nights out and lunches. :colbert:

dreesemonkey posted:

Bluetooth speaker is/was one of my favorite buys ever. But I did it in true frugal fashion by using gift money :smug:

I got the Logitech UE Miniboom. It's loving awesome, just arrived after I ordered it like four business days ago. I'm highly impressed, Amazon. I can now have podcasts in the shower. :)

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

spwrozek posted:

Yeah, I know. The last post was a joke but in general I go over-budget because I would (hopefully would) eat out too much during the work week. It's not the $20-40 my wife and I spend on a Saturday that I want to cut, it's the $7-10 I spend Monday through Friday that needs to go.

Sephiroth_IRA fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Mar 19, 2014

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

it's the $7-10 I spend Monday through Friday that needs to go.

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

AAAARGH!

I spend so much on parking and lunch because I'm a lazy gently caress. Everything else is fine but fuuuuuuuuck I need to stop.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
During the day I live off free water and boxes of generic Pop Tarts from the dollar store. Saves me a poo poo load of money.

I can't even imagine being a coffee drinker and having to pay for that multiple times/day :psyduck:

kissekatt
Apr 20, 2005

I have tasted the fruit.

Eyes Only posted:

At least in the big multistate lotteries, it's never a fair bet, no matter how large the jackpot gets. The reason being that as the jackpot grows, the number of ticket sales per drawing grows in an unfavorable way. This increases the odds that you'll have to split the jackpot to the point where your expected payout is negative.
That's where the only skill part of buying a lottery ticket comes in - picking numbers that other people don't pick. Avoid possible birthdays, pick numbers in a (near) sequence (because everyone's gut feeling is that 1-2-3-4-5 is far more improbable than 1-14-15-22-37), and so on.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

kissekatt posted:

That's where the only skill part of buying a lottery ticket comes in - picking numbers that other people don't pick. Avoid possible birthdays, pick numbers in a (near) sequence (because everyone's gut feeling is that 1-2-3-4-5 is far more improbable than 1-14-15-22-37), and so on.

The numbers are completely random and the odds are horrible.

There is no skill involved.

Do not play the lottery.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

EugeneJ posted:

During the day I live off free water and boxes of generic Pop Tarts from the dollar store.

That sounds horrifically unhealthy.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

CountOfNowhere posted:

That sounds horrifically unhealthy.

It used to be Pop Tarts and Sweet Tea.

Switched from Sweet Tea to water and lost 30 pounds.

Cranbe
Dec 9, 2012

EugeneJ posted:

The numbers are completely random and the odds are horrible.

There is no skill involved.

Do not play the lottery.

The odds are horrible, yes, but there is logic in choosing certain numbers—the ones that other people pick less often. They don't increase the likelihood that you win, but they do decrease the likelihood of having to split the prize if you do win. So playing certain numbers actually would have a higher expected value than others.

But yeah, you're sill not going to win.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
God drat I want a poptart.

I also maxed out my budget from YNAB and it's only the 19th. :negative: I don't want to shuffle savings around because I just found out I owe the tax man 800 bucks. It'll all be okay, just a minor set back.

I know that if this happened last year I'd have been absolutely fuckeddddd.

Eyes Only
May 20, 2008

Do not attempt to adjust your set.

Cranbe posted:

The odds are horrible, yes, but there is logic in choosing certain numbers—the ones that other people pick less often. They don't increase the likelihood that you win, but they do decrease the likelihood of having to split the prize if you do win. So playing certain numbers actually would have a higher expected value than others.

But yeah, you're sill not going to win.

This is true, there are numbers you want to avoid because they are commonly picked. But even in the best case scenario where everyone picks random numbers, you still have negative EV for even the largest jackpots.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

EugeneJ posted:

It used to be Pop Tarts and Sweet Tea.

Switched from Sweet Tea to water and lost 30 pounds.

Can I channel Shine for a moment here and say cook yourself some real food instead of pop tarts?

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Boiling eggs and peeling them has gotten real easy since I learned the "Russian" way to remove the shell. That's pretty much my go to snack (with some vegetables) now.

edit: Also, I've never really kept up with GWS, have they ever had a thread about healthy snacks/meals that can be cooked up in 10-15 minutes?

Sephiroth_IRA fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Mar 19, 2014

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

Boiling eggs and peeling them has gotten real easy since I learned the "Russian" way to remove the shell. That's pretty much my go to snack (with some vegetables) now.

I had no idea what you were talking about, so I found this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opK1Py1Zkt4

Definitely going to go boil some eggs soon.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Yeah, the great thing about eggs is you can also boil them using a bowl of water and some salt in a microwave which allows me to keep some at work too.

Sephiroth_IRA fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Mar 19, 2014

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Haifisch posted:

...says the woman who had canned soup for lunch today. I like cooking, but making good soup escapes me. :(

Fruit's really not that healthy. I mean it's more healthy than candy but it's basically candy with flintstones vitamins and fiber mixed in.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

Nail Rat posted:

Fruit's really not that healthy. I mean it's more healthy than candy but it's basically candy with flintstones vitamins and fiber mixed in.

Fruit is fine. Obviously, you want to avoid eating a colossal amount of it, because it's more calorie dense than you'd think. Fruit juices and dried fruit frequently have sugar added, and should be treated as such as well. Even Dr Robert Lustig, who is one of the leaders of the attempt to lower sugar consumption, is fine with fruit because of it's fiber and nutrient values (which is, I guess, sort of what you were implying with the flintstones comment, but I think you were underselling fruit somewhat).

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/07/31/making-the-case-for-eating-fruit/?_php=true&_type=blogs&_r=0 posted:

Another nutrition expert, Dr. Robert Lustig, a professor of pediatrics at the University of California, San Francisco, who has called sugar “toxic” at high doses and fructose the most “actionable” problem in our diet, is still a fan of fruit. “As far as I’m concerned, fiber is the reason to eat fruit,” since it promotes satiety and the slow release of sugar. He adds a third benefit from fiber: it changes our “intestinal flora,” or microbiome, by helping different species of healthy bacteria thrive.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

It still takes a backseat to vegetables and nuts, though, is what I'm saying. Obviously it's better than candy and useful in moderation, but people who eat mountains of fruit(not necessarily the poster above) and talk about how healthy they're eating make me :negative:

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Fruit may be candy, but it's nature's candy. I treat it like the former though, so it's a "sometimes" food. Except for the obvious fruits that people confuse with vegetables like tomatoes and avocados. I usually have an avocado a day since they're so cheap ($0.89 cents each) at Aldi.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Nail Rat posted:

It still takes a backseat to vegetables and nuts, though, is what I'm saying. Obviously it's better than candy and useful in moderation, but people who eat mountains of fruit(not necessarily the poster above) and talk about how healthy they're eating make me :negative:

Nuts are the gasoline of the food world. You should only use them as a staple if you're burning a lot of calories every day.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

Nail Rat posted:

Sounds like we agree, I just misinterpreted your first post. I will stop white-knighting a food group now.

I made this on Sunday to bring to work for lunches. I doubled the ground beef, and added an onion, but apart from that followed the recipe. It's like Hamburger Helper, but tastier and less processed.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Way too much food talk here. Seriously I have threads bookmarked in BFC and YLLS almost exclusively and for a minute I forgot which forum I was in.

dried fruit is where fruit goes from "okay" to "holy gently caress sugar and calories without thinking about it" so quickly, in my experience

Moving on, my current status: trying not to overthink the money I have in index funds (in taxable accounts for longer-term savings) as there seems to be an murmur about the market topping out. I know its all about time in the market but there is media influence everywhere and its difficult to ignore. Stay the course :negative:

edit: Also I want to do my own remodel/repair work at my house but my dad was never good at teaching those skills and I dont know where to learn them. I just signed up for Habitat for Humanity so hopefully that's a good avenue. Any other ideas?

antiga
Jan 16, 2013

Lustig is a quack, and it's terrible that he and guys like Taubes get exposure from a credible source like the NY Times. If you eat reasonably well most of the time, the rest doesn't matter nearly as much as you think. End YLLS rant.

On topic: I need new work slacks. My normal places would be Marshalls/TJMax, but any suggestions? Open to spending more if the durability makes it worthwhile.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

antiga posted:

On topic: I need new work slacks. My normal places would be Marshalls/TJMax, but any suggestions? Open to spending more if the durability makes it worthwhile.

IF you know your size relatively well, I've found these to be some of the best price/quality pants around.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002A9JXCU/ref=pe_175190_21431760_M2C_SC_dp_1

I've got three or four pairs that have been workhorses for me.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

antiga posted:

Lustig is a quack, and it's terrible that he and guys like Taubes get exposure from a credible source like the NY Times. If you eat reasonably well most of the time, the rest doesn't matter nearly as much as you think. End YLLS rant.

I wasn't endorsing him exactly, just saying that if even he doesn't have a problem with fruit, I don't know who would.

Walked posted:

Way too much food talk here. Seriously I have threads bookmarked in BFC and YLLS almost exclusively and for a minute I forgot which forum I was in.

I agree that we're probably getting too far off topic debating the merits of fruits (and that's my fault, sorry), but food is probably my second largest monthly expense, so some food talk seems relevant.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

antiga posted:

Kohls is usually good and cheap.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
It's a common theme I've seen in BFC to have car chat and food chat because those run as people's highest expenses that go un noticed that they are super big expenses.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Walked posted:

dried fruit is where fruit goes from "okay" to "holy gently caress sugar and calories without thinking about it" so quickly, in my experience

Moving on, my current status: trying not to overthink the money I have in index funds (in taxable accounts for longer-term savings) as there seems to be an murmur about the market topping out. I know its all about time in the market but there is media influence everywhere and its difficult to ignore. Stay the course :negative:

edit: Also I want to do my own remodel/repair work at my house but my dad was never good at teaching those skills and I dont know where to learn them. I just signed up for Habitat for Humanity so hopefully that's a good avenue. Any other ideas?

Man, I hope so. It would be awesome if the market crashed like, right now. Stock sale! :toot:

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

antiga posted:

Ross? I would say Goodwill but then I realized my wife has never bought pants their for me, just shirts.

Veskit posted:

It's a common theme I've seen in BFC to have car chat and food chat because those run as people's highest expenses that go un noticed that they are super big expenses.

I'm cool with food/whatever chat as long as it's related to BFC in some way. A conversation about eating cheap while still maintaining a healthy/body builder's diet fits in with that.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Quick question about phone plans, hopefully on-topic: I see that T-Mobile has unlimited talk, text, and "web" with 2GB data for $60(what the hell is the difference between web and data?). However, when I go to look at their phones, it seems they only have monthly costs. I don't see anything like with Verizon where a phone is $100/$200/whatever with a 2 year plan (my company allows $100 for a smartphone every two years so I like to get the best phone I can get for a hundred bucks). Are these monthly options the only way to buy a phone with T-Mobile?

If there's a way to get a nice phone with that plan without paying a monthly cost for it, that could save me $30 a month or 360 a year, which would be nice.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
It's still a monthly bill but a co-worker is getting a no contract, unlimited text, phone and data plan for $50 at Walmart. I think there is even a goon run phone company in SA Mart that has some deals.

edit: I'm having trouble finding that thread but some goons are also setting up friend/family plans with Sprint.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3604751

quote:

What is Sprint launching?
Sprint Framily offers unlimited talk and text and 1 GB data while on the Sprint network for as little as $25/month per line with no requirement to share data. The consumer invites up to nine family members, friends, and others to join Sprint and save. Each Sprint Framily member has the ability to customize their own plan to meet their unique needs. Buy-up to unlimited data plus get annual upgrades for only $20/month per line. Or buy-up to 3GB of data for just $10/month per line. Additional on-network data above 1GB or 3GB buy up: 1.5˘/MB. Plus, add tablets or other products to the account (in accordance with credit policy) without impacting the total number of lines on the Sprint Framily available to a group.

Walked posted:

I don't pay attention to financial news (Thanks Bernstein) but why are people saying the market is topping out? I'm leaning toward interest rates eventually being raised but I doubt that would be as bad as some think.

Sephiroth_IRA fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Mar 19, 2014

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Well it's been going up for awhile so naturally it's going to go down at some point, but who knows when that will be exactly. Everyone was so sure it was going to go down last year because of the fiscal cliff and it was a banner year.

I'm actually rooting for it to take a big hit so the money I invest will be worth more in 2055 dollars.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Yeah, it's funny but I'm on the same team. I'd feel bad if a 2008 level crash happened again but I would still take advantage of it.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

Nail Rat posted:

Quick question about phone plans, hopefully on-topic: I see that T-Mobile has unlimited talk, text, and "web" with 2GB data for $60(what the hell is the difference between web and data?). However, when I go to look at their phones, it seems they only have monthly costs. I don't see anything like with Verizon where a phone is $100/$200/whatever with a 2 year plan (my company allows $100 for a smartphone every two years so I like to get the best phone I can get for a hundred bucks). Are these monthly options the only way to buy a phone with T-Mobile?

If there's a way to get a nice phone with that plan without paying a monthly cost for it, that could save me $30 a month or 360 a year, which would be nice.

Web vs Data: I'm not looking at the site, but my guess is you get 2 GB of LTE data, then you'd get kicked back to their HSPA/HSPA+ network. It's slightly slower, with slightly higher latency, but it's not a huge deal.

Those $0-$200 phones are called subsidized phones, because the carrier increases the cost of your plan to pay off the difference of the cost of your phone over the life of your contract. T-Mobile is just being more transparent about it, and removing that extra cost if you bring your own phone. That Sprint Framily plan does basically the same thing.

Not sure if you're looking for Android or iOS. The android thread really likes the Nexus 5 and the Moto X, both of which you can buy for ~$350 unsubsidized direct from the manufacturer. Do the math yourself of the total cost over 2 years, but for a lot of people, it makes sense to bring your own phone to T-Mobile, and pay less for the plan.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
This is totally stupid but I absolutely expect another crash at some point in the next ten years. Basically - I may expect more volatility than most investors do, and I think that extreme downsides are undervalued.

Is there anyone who routinely buys put options on the S&P index? It seems like the simple way to make that sort of bet. Like yearly buy a put option on 75% of the current value of the index, then if it crashes to 2/3rds of its value (or less) you've hedged quite a lot of your losses (as the rest of your money would be in index funds). If not, you're out whatever the option cost, buy again next year. It seems like a way to keep the upside (by primarily staying invested in standard index funds) and to hedge the extreme downside.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

tuyop posted:

Seneca says that your enjoyment of life ought not depend on nights out and lunches. :colbert:

I got the Logitech UE Miniboom. It's loving awesome, just arrived after I ordered it like four business days ago. I'm highly impressed, Amazon. I can now have podcasts in the shower. :)

I've got this one and I'm very happy with it.

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-984-...ogitech+boombox

I didn't pack my lunch today. There is a "support our staff" luncheon benefiting a lady who is currently off work, $10 for lunch (wife and I)? My lawd I'll never be able to retire at this rate :(