Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Every day I give thanks to Lord Internet for making Google so profitable that it can be absurdly generous with meals for its employees. This place is a food wonderland and I love it so so much. Now I can be lazy for lunch AND frugal at the same time!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pancaek
Feb 6, 2004

sup fellaz
^^ With the number of hours you guys put in at the office they better be feeding organic, free-range foie gras every day. Unless you're in CA. Then no foie for you.

Bloody Queef posted:

BFC tip: Upon arriving in an international destination pop out your Sim card and go to a place that sells prepaid ones. I went to Ireland this summer and bought a $15 O2 Sim and 2 weeks worth of data and voice didn't use up the whole initial $15.

You need an international unlocked phone, but I had a Nexus 4 and that worked.

I was totally going to do this but didn't have an unlocked phone at the time :'( Third time's the charm, eh?

The next goal is to switch to a cheaper domestic phone plan.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
I feel really bad, so it looks like I'll be using a sick day tomorrow.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

I feel really bad, so it looks like I'll be using a sick day tomorrow.

Paid or unpaid?

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

Cicero posted:

Every day I give thanks to Lord Internet for making Google so profitable that it can be absurdly generous with meals for its employees. This place is a food wonderland and I love it so so much. Now I can be lazy for lunch AND frugal at the same time!

Does google still allow employees their 10-15% side project time?

If they do, can some of those smart guys please please please get going on a mint.com competitor? Intuit owns both Quicken and mint, and they seem to deliberately not improve mint for fear of cannibalizing their quicken sales. And quicken is by far worst coded software I use on a regular basis.

Ideally, what I'd like is quicken in the cloud, except not coded by a bunch of loving idiots. I'm really surprised that there is no major cloud-based personal finance "books" tool that I can think of. Mint is fairly close, but not quite. YNAB isn't cloud based and still requires manual entry.

I miss microsoft money. That was simple and reliable.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

tuyop posted:

Paid or unpaid?

Paid but I ended up going to work anyway. I might leave early though if I feel worse.

edit: Why can't I simply set a budget with my credit card company?

*Slides Card*
"Sir your card has been declined because you'll go over your grocery budget this month. Do you want to over-ride?"
*People behind me in line are scoffing, "guy can't even stick to his budget"
"I... OK, I'll put it all back, there's stuff for me to eat in the fridge anyway"
*Everyone in line begins to clap*

Oh because they and everyone else will make less money never mind.

Sephiroth_IRA fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Mar 26, 2014

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW
I would imagine the market for that is absurdly small. Then would get even smaller when someone's purchase gets rejected when the movie theater is coded as a grocery store by mistake.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

Paid but I ended up going to work anyway. I might leave early though if I feel worse.

*Slides Card*
"Sir your card has been declined because you'll go over your grocery budget this month. Do you want to over-ride?"
"I... OK, I'll put it all back, there's stuff for me to eat in the fridge anyway"

Nobody would ever use such a feature anyway, just like how most people don't use automatic bill payments or travel rewards intelligently.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

pancaek posted:

organic, free-range foie gras every day

Does this really exist?

I will not be eating out today. Turkey and provolone sandwich with carrots and hummus, oh yeah :cool:

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

Nocheez posted:

I will not be eating out today. Turkey and provolone sandwich with carrots and hummus, oh yeah :cool:

Spinach salad and half a ham salad sandwich. Yum!

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
I think I packed a few things today but left it all in the car, thankfully it's cold out today.

tuyop posted:

Nobody would ever use such a feature anyway, just like how most people don't use automatic bill payments or travel rewards intelligently.

I think there would be a market for it, I mean there's a credit card for everything these days. Also I think a lot of people that don't use auto payments are older or simply untrustworthy.

Target hosed up my auto-payment once because they redesigned their website and failed to mention that it basically reset all of their settings. So I had to call and dispute a late charge. So it took me awhile to give them another chance. Speaking of Target it annoys me that I can't set autopay for a specific date, for some reason it can only be set to the day the statement is due. I'd much rather get a confirmation a week before by email than the day/day after the payment is due.

Anyway, I'm the only one that can do my job so it sucks when I miss work, especially now that we're busy. I'll just get the "flu" when were slow on take a three day vacation or something since I'm killing myself here right now.

Sephiroth_IRA fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Mar 26, 2014

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

*Slides Card*

Mint is a giant website. The implementation of this is non-trivial, especially because how would you code something like CVS?

Better to use Mint and set up e-mail alerts, or just live off of Bluebird/cash.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
I suppose Mint could do something like that if they partnered with the cc/banks. I would pay a $10 a month or something premium service for that even if it means I hold up a line at the grocery store every now and then. People do it with cash, why can't I?

Still, I don't see why a CC/Bank would find that beneficial to them unless they were also getting something out of it.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

I suppose Mint could do something like that if they partnered with the cc/banks. I would pay a $10 a month or something premium service for that even if it means I hold up a line at the grocery store every now and then. People do it with cash, why can't I?
You'd give up $120 a year instead of just keeping an eye on your budget? And are you just buying extra groceries that you don't actually need? I can't imagine why I'd want to be stopped at the grocery store. At a bar, maybe, but by then it's too late. I can only see this being useful when buying luxury goods, but even then, better to budget in advance. Play the long game.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

No Wave posted:

You'd give up $120 a year instead of just keeping an eye on your budget? And are you just buying extra groceries that you don't actually need? I can't imagine why I'd want to be stopped at the grocery store. At a bar, maybe, but by then it's too late. I can only see this being useful when buying luxury goods, but even then, better to budget in advance. Play the long game.

The mint app could send you an alert when it detects your near your grocery store with your available grocery balance.... Somehow.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
My problem with Mint is the delay. I swear things take a day or two to show up. Not to mention they think I owe my entire credit card balance every month. Granted, that is probably wise, but I'm not there yet.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
You make a good point but a lot of people need to be forced to stick to a budget (names several famous BFC people that can't stick to budgets) before they can stick to one on their own.

Your Dead Gay Son posted:

My problem with Mint is the delay. I swear things take a day or two to show up. Not to mention they think I owe my entire credit card balance every month. Granted, that is probably wise, but I'm not there yet.

The only real problem I have with mint is the investment section. I don't know why but Mint always tells me (for example) that one fund is doing horribly compared to the S&P even though it is entirely invested in the S&P. What?

They should make a game version of their budget section.
"Gain exp and find new equipment if you meet or go under your budget! Every transaction generates a random encounter!"

Of course people would cheat but for serious minded people it would be a fun way to stick to a budget.

dreesemonkey posted:

The mint app could send you an alert when it detects your near your grocery store with your available grocery balance.... Somehow.

Wifi. It simply starts yelling "GET THE gently caress OUT OF HERE FATASS AND GO TO THE GROCERY STORE" when you walk into a McDonalds and the signal strength is strong enough.

Sephiroth_IRA fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Mar 26, 2014

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Lol everytime you drive by the McDonald's your phone yells at you for committing a thought crime.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

Speaking of Target it annoys me that I can't set autopay for a specific date, for some reason it can only be set to the day the statement is due. I'd much rather get a confirmation a week before by email than the day/day after the payment is due.

This is only a problem if you spend more money on your card than is earmarked for spending in your chequing account.

I understand it can be stressful if you have $2000 in your account and rent of, say, $800 comes out on the 1st and your CC bill withdraws $1500, leaving you short on rent until you get paid on the 30th or whatever. The solution to this stress is not to change the transfer date, but to keep bills+spending+emergency in your chequing account at all times.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

Your Dead Gay Son posted:

Lol everytime you drive by the McDonald's your phone yells at you for committing a thought crime.

I know "Super Size Me" is a horribly flawed movie but I do agree with the point they made about how places like McDonalds engineer their younger customers to want to return there when they're older, so Spurlock stated "Yeah, that's why everytime I drive by McDonalds I'm going to punch my kid in the face".

Now your cellphone can do that!

tuyop posted:

This is only a problem if you spend more money on your card than is earmarked for spending in your chequing account.

I understand it can be stressful if you have $2000 in your account and rent of, say, $800 comes out on the 1st and your CC bill withdraws $1500, leaving you short on rent until you get paid on the 30th or whatever. The solution to this stress is not to change the transfer date, but to keep bills+spending+emergency in your chequing account at all times.

This is only stressful for me because Target already screwed up once and most other sites allow you to select the day you would like the autopayment to occur. With Target (as far as I can tell) it's always on the day before it becomes late. I'm not really concerned about overdraft or anything like that. I just like to know, idk a couple days before the due date that the bill has been paid.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

You make a good point but a lot of people need to be forced to stick to a budget (names several famous BFC people that can't stick to budgets) before they can stick to one on their own.
They wouldn't use this app. Budgeting's not hard if you actually want to do it and make over 25K a year.

Do cash payments w/ envelopes for three months if you're really crazy. You'll get it soon enough and you'll hit the perspective shift that takes you from getting away with buying as much stuff as possible to lifetime satisfaction.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Mar 26, 2014

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

This is only stressful for me because Target already screwed up once and most other sites allow you to select the day you would like the autopayment to occur. With Target (as far as I can tell) it's always on the day before it becomes late. I'm not really concerned about overdraft or anything like that. I just like to know, idk a couple days before the due date that the bill has been paid.

So you only care because they've failed to make the withdrawal in the past?

I think a lot of people have a bit of anxiety about whether a bill has really been paid, and beyond correctly setting up the automatic payment, I think the best treatment for that anxiety is to just forget about it and stick to your budget. Things you can control over things you can't and all that. I guess that's not your problem if you're just worried about an unreliable company, though.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Well, things are going to suck at the end of March budget-wise but I'm hopeful for April now that I'm skipping lunch during the week.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Today I had a plum, a boiled egg, and a spicy tuna salad sandwich for lunch.

A lot of you guys in here would fit right in in Work Crew.

Come join us. :unsmigghh:

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Harry posted:

I would imagine the market for that is absurdly small. Then would get even smaller when someone's purchase gets rejected when the movie theater is coded as a grocery store by mistake.

This is why I think prize-linked savings accounts are far more elegant solution. It's crazy that they aren't widely available.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'm terrible about letting stuff linger in the freezer too long. In the case of single-serving frozen vegetables I give them to my dogs (nothing toxic of course). They love eating frozen stuff and it feels better than just tossing them in the trash.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Bubbacub posted:

This is why I think prize-linked savings accounts are far more elegant solution. It's crazy that they aren't widely available.
This is somewhat depressing, but given the mental bias between saving vs. not withdrawing (ie, people generally view taking a dollar out of savings differently from not contributing an extra dollar that they have even though the effect is the same) it's a neat way to hack our preferences to lead to more intelligent decision-making. Kahnemann win. I just hope that the amount being awarded is basically negligible to the overall return.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Mar 26, 2014

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Everything Burrito posted:

I'm terrible about letting stuff linger in the freezer too long. In the case of single-serving frozen vegetables I give them to my dogs (nothing toxic of course). They love eating frozen stuff and it feels better than just tossing them in the trash.

I bought sixty pounds of pork tenderloin in August for my wedding, it's been in my freezer ever since because our spit pig was sufficient. I'm just getting it carved up into 3-pound cuts today. I imagine I'm going to have to use most of it for stew because of freezer burn. Woo $300 worth of stew meat because of laziness!

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

tuyop posted:

I bought sixty pounds of pork tenderloin in August for my wedding, it's been in my freezer ever since because our spit pig was sufficient. I'm just getting it carved up into 3-pound cuts today. I imagine I'm going to have to use most of it for stew because of freezer burn. Woo $300 worth of stew meat because of laziness!
I'd probably buy some pork belly/pork fat and make ground pork/sausages. Tenderloin makes for terrible stew.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

No Wave posted:

I'd probably buy some pork belly/pork fat and make ground pork/sausages. Tenderloin makes for terrible stew.

I really do want one of those meat grinder attachments and a big stand mixer to attach it.

But I just googled "manual meat grinder" and I'll probably just buy this: http://www.amazon.com/Weston-Heavy-Manual-Tinned-Grinder/dp/B000BQSW44

I love the idea of manual kitchen tools.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

tuyop posted:

I really do want one of those meat grinder attachments and a big stand mixer to attach it.

But I just googled "manual meat grinder" and I'll probably just buy this: http://www.amazon.com/Weston-Heavy-Manual-Tinned-Grinder/dp/B000BQSW44

I love the idea of manual kitchen tools.
They're not very good, but if you insist I'd at least get this one instead: http://www.amazon.com/Norpro-Grinder-Mincer-Pasta-Maker/dp/B0002I5QHW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1395849486&sr=8-1&keywords=meat+grinder

Three stars on amazon does not indicate a high rate of satisfaction

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Can you guys think of any products that have actually saved you time/and/or money? I know there's a product recommendation thread in PYF but I'd rather get BFC's opinion on most things.

I know it's probably because I thought it was cool on Breaking Bad but a Roomba or an altnerative to a Roomba just seems neat to me, especially since I'm moving into a single story/mostly hard-wood home soon. I understand pushing a vacuum around isn't very difficult but my house will be rather small so the more space I have the better.

I'm also quite fond of my Nest. I figured out a really efficient way to keep the home heated/cooled (since I could play around with the settings online and get a score) by simply burst heating the house and then allowing it to cool. So energy would be used sparingly but my house would stay warm when I needed it to.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

Can you guys think of any products that have actually saved you time/and/or money? I know there's a product recommendation thread in PYF but I'd rather get BFC's opinion on most things.

I know it's probably because I thought it was cool on Breaking Bad but a Roomba or an altnerative to a Roomba just seems neat to me, especially since I'm moving into a single story/mostly hard-wood home soon. I understand pushing a vacuum around isn't very difficult but my house will be rather small so the more space I have the better.

I'm also quite fond of my Nest. I figured out a really efficient way to keep the home heated/cooled (since I could play around with the settings online and get a score) by simply burst heating the house and then allowing it to cool. So energy would be used sparingly but my house would stay warm when I needed it to.
Bicycle

Freezer

Drying rack

Backpack

CFL lightbulbs

Electronic cigarette

No Wave fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Mar 26, 2014

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

For me, a good home gym setup and mlb.tv save me a gym membership and cable personally.

P.D.B. Fishsticks
Jun 19, 2010

No Wave posted:

Mint is a giant website. The implementation of this is non-trivial, especially because how would you code something like CVS?

Better to use Mint and set up e-mail alerts, or just live off of Bluebird/cash.

In fact, there was an article a few years ago that ended up deconstructing the work involved in programming cards with budget buckets (and other things that "ought to be simple").

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
I had bacon for lunch today with a few vegetables. It was a last resort but I'm stocked for tomorrow.

No Wave posted:

Bicycle

Freezer

Drying rack

Backpack

CFL lightbulbs

Electronic cigarette

I think the only reason CFL Lightbulbs have saved me so much money is because I got them for free from the electric company and they have never gone out. When I get a new house I want it to be as well lit as possible so I might spring for higher quality CFLS or LEDS.

Walked posted:

For me, a good home gym setup and mlb.tv save me a gym membership and cable personally.

If you want to go the home gym route craigslist rules. My wife and I had to give up all of our free weights since we decided to move to a smaller place and ended up making money off of the stuff we bought on craigslist. We decided to keep two pairs of adjustable (not those bowflex kind, the ones you have to manually add the plates to) dumbbells and a over the door pull-up bar I got from Ross for $12 bucks.

Sephiroth_IRA fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Mar 26, 2014

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

P.D.B. Fishsticks posted:

In fact, there was an article a few years ago that ended up deconstructing the work involved in programming cards with budget buckets (and other things that "ought to be simple").
Ha, almost linked to that, but I didn't want a marijuana derail

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

I had bacon for lunch today with a few vegetables. It was a last resort but I'm stocked for tomorrow.

I think the only reason CFL Lightbulbs have saved me so much money is because I got them for free from the electric company and they have never gone out. When I get a new house I want it to be as well lit as possible so I might spring for higher quality CFLS or LEDS.
They're subsidized here in Boston, don't know if that's true everywhere

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

If you want to go the home gym route craigslist rules. My wife and I had to give up all of our free weights since we decided to move to a smaller place and ended up making money off of the stuff we bought on craigslist. We decided to keep two pairs of adjustable (not those bowflex kind, the ones you have to manually add the plates to) dumbbells and a over the door pull-up bar I got from Ross for $12 bucks.

I ended up having some equipment custom welded (short basement) and bought my stuff new. And it's some of the highest quality stuff I've seen. And it still cost about one years gym membership around here (DC, expensive).

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

Can you guys think of any products that have actually saved you time/and/or money?

Coffee grinder has saved me money because before we'd get it ground at the grocery stores and so we'd have to buy only one pound at a time to keep it fresh.

Costco membership. COSTCO, loving, MEMBERSHIP.

Good coffee mugs to dissuade me from buying starbucks.

Not sold on all this gardening poo poo I got yet because I haven't had an opportunity to enjoy the fruits of my labor yet.

The only other sneaky one is good tires. Finally replacing our poo poo tires has saved on gas. Or will save on gas I haven't mathed it yet.

ALSO DUH, YNAB

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

pancaek posted:

^^ With the number of hours you guys put in at the office they better be feeding organic, free-range foie gras every day. Unless you're in CA. Then no foie for you.
It's funny, both at Amazon and Google people were like, "oh man, you must work, like, so many hours" when actually I and most of the other devs were at work like 8 hours a day including lunch. Occasionally there's crunch but overall these jobs seem pretty cushy, although I'm sure there are other positions in these companies that are harder.

dreesemonkey posted:

Does google still allow employees their 10-15% side project time?
It was 20%, but as far as I can tell it's not really around in force anymore. Like some people still have 20% projects, but it's not this automatic thing that everybody gets, and you have to get your working on one approved by management, I think.

quote:

If they do, can some of those smart guys please please please get going on a mint.com competitor? Intuit owns both Quicken and mint, and they seem to deliberately not improve mint for fear of cannibalizing their quicken sales. And quicken is by far worst coded software I use on a regular basis.

Ideally, what I'd like is quicken in the cloud, except not coded by a bunch of loving idiots. I'm really surprised that there is no major cloud-based personal finance "books" tool that I can think of. Mint is fairly close, but not quite. YNAB isn't cloud based and still requires manual entry.

I miss microsoft money. That was simple and reliable.
Sorry but I have a pretty hard time seeing Google move into this space. Doesn't really fit their MO. I agree that'd be pretty cool though.