Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Juanito posted:

Disadvantage of a mini-fridge, IMO, would be that you'd need more trips to the supermarket, so you might end up spending more money.

Doubtful. We go to the market on the way home every other day to get what we want to make for dinner. Before we would do the huge $100 runs for the week. We have cut our spending down by about $50 a month without changing what we buy. Less going to waste and not buying stuff we don't need.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Veskit posted:

How the hell are you supposed to make great cost saving costco runs without a big rear end fridge! :cmon: I think I'd be ok with it if you also had a floor freezer to store a bunch of awesome frozen goods.

Yeah I don't shop at Costco or Sam's. We just do the local market and Amazon. If they have a huge sale on meat, like bogo on chicken, we will stock up. Also coupons are awesome.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Veskit posted:

Also is this a kosher thread to brag and or seek encouragement for my thrifty ways? I'm really proud of how much I'm taking down my debt but nobody else gives a poo poo :smith:. My girlfriend hates hearing about money and my coworkers are the worsttt with money.

Brag on buddy.

I put a goal up on the 2014 goal thread and planned to do quarterly updates there to see how I am doing.

On the debt pay down bragging I gave Sallie Mae and extra $1530 last week. Wife and I will get out of that debt this year, I can feel it.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

The library is the ultimate good money move. You can get actual books or hook up a kindle. It is all free (except for whatever goes to it from my property taxes). I got a membership about 4 months ago and it is sweet.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

I am pretty sure with chip and pin it has put all responsibility on the consumer now. I think I might prefer calling chase and reporting a fraud charge and getting it dealt with in 2 min and I can go on with my life.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

buying myself an iron and a new file box for all my personal records.

You think this counts as splurging?

I guess I am splurging on a Vegas guys weekend starting Friday, but I also paid for it with my vacation fund (flight and hotel) and blow money (which I saved the last 4 months to have). With any luck I will pick the NCAA games well and the weekend will be low cost.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Dude you can eat out and drink beer...my word. If you have a budget for it and enjoy it no big deal. We have $150 a month in our budget which is basically 2 nights out with drinks and a few lunches a month. You have to enjoy life a little.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

antiga posted:

Lustig is a quack, and it's terrible that he and guys like Taubes get exposure from a credible source like the NY Times. If you eat reasonably well most of the time, the rest doesn't matter nearly as much as you think. End YLLS rant.

On topic: I need new work slacks. My normal places would be Marshalls/TJMax, but any suggestions? Open to spending more if the durability makes it worthwhile.

Kohls is usually good and cheap.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

The only thing about t mobile is make sure the coverage is good. It is great in Denver and then sucks everywhere else I travel for work. I am still with Verizon since I got my moto x 32gb for $100 (free since work pays $100 for phones) and my bill is only $70 a month for 2gb data (work pays up to $75 a month). Got to love free phones and corporate discounts (20%).

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

^ I like the way you think.

Sundae posted:

I paid $2,200 in taxes today. BFC General/Daily Discussion thread. Don't pay taxes today.

$2460 for me to the ole IRS. State owes me $32.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Mine was due to about $10,000 in gambling winnings (free windows). I knew it was coming as well but it still sucks.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Veskit posted:

I got approved for a bonus :woop: :woop:

Now to be boring and put half of it toward debt :shrug:

That is totally not boring. My bonus went taxes, charity, debt, ski passes for next year.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Just paid $28.17 for three beers at the airport.... The sad part is it will get worse in Vegas.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

I vote not getting a new phone and just set your voicemail on your cell and don't answer. If you accidentally answer just say you are on vacation and give them a number to call.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Harry posted:

You could like, plan ahead.

Don't be completely ridiculous. Being cheap is fine and all but having things that improve your life is fine too. When we travel it is great for last minute things to do and meeting up with people that you know in the area (they may have regular life to do while you are there).

On the vacation front Vegas turned out great. The clubs there are completely awesome, can't wait to get back. Budget wise it was pretty good to me. Took $500 as my target and ended up spending $507 (the one bet I made would have net me $144 if Harvard didn't make that garbage basket with 3 seconds left). Good thing I don't drink heavily and like to be sober at the club, vodka redbulls $20 a pop. My phone came in very handy also.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

PTO day last minute to go skiing. Total cost of $0, that is a good PTO day right there.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

The $17.5k limit is just for you. $51k is the combined limit

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

moana posted:

This past week made a bunch of chili and lentil soup, freezing half of it for suppers so I don't waste a ton of money going out. I've been spending $500-$1k each month on eating out with my fiance, and I'd like to cut that down to more like $300.

drat that is some serious coin.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

$1000 eating out and groceries doesn't see as bad. Our eating out, groceries, and alcohol budget is $550 a month.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

My wife and I car pool. We bring lunch everyday and just eat at our desks

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Used ~$2300 of my bonus to pay taxes (boo) and used the remaining bonus money to put $4340 to Sallie Mae for my wife's student loans (yay). I am so close to owing that company under $10k next month's payment will be exciting.

The hard thing about debt and budgeting is the long road. I spend way to much time looking at my spreadsheets and playing with the numbers. I know it can only go down so fast. You want so bad for it just to go away though. 2 more years to get all the student loans paid off, with any luck I will get it before then. I feel like my wife and I are getting some really good impulse control though and will be super savers/non slow motion style ballers in a few years. Or we will have a kid and all my money will go to daycare...

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

My wife forgot her lunch on the way to work today, but luckily we were only 3 blocks from home and whipped back and grabbed it.

This weekend might be expensive as we have 3 family members in town for 4 days.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Juanito posted:

What do you think of never buying trash bags? My wife and I never do. We just use plastic bags from the supermarket. We usually get our groceries double-bagged.

There are times when a giant bag would be preferable to 8 smaller ones.. but not enough to actually waste our money on them.

At $0.10 a plastic grocery bag here that will get expensive. Cloth bags are where it is at. Save the environment for there kids man.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Free snacks at work are the worst, also the soda machine taking credit. I have been a champ lately though and not touched the stuff. Helps keep you in shape as well!

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

What? A salt lick!

Everyone go buy a salt lick.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

the posted:

Okay, but like.. this place exists. How is it not dead?

Pinball Pete's seems to do pretty well in Ann Arbor (they have a second one in Lansing even).

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Nice setup. I am at the Rockies game buying $10 beers woo (at least it is a 24 ounce)

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

^agree but in Denver the Subaru market is crazy. I will pay $2-3k more for a brand new car with more tech in it. I was looking at an 08 Impreza hatchback and they sold it for $12,500. I brand new one with more in it is only $21000... Heck they sell '12's for like $17500+.

dreesemonkey posted:

I have a nice aluminum canoe at my parent's house that they gave to me, I just haven't figured how to get it back up to my house yet. I was just looking this morning on amazon for roof racks and whatnot for my truck but everything is "too loving expensive".

This has not been a good week for eating in at work. Tuesday was my wife's b-day so we went to lunch, yesterday there was a charity luncheon at work that we donated money towards, and tonight I'm taking my best friend out for dinner for his upcoming birthday.

I've also been thinking about buy a brand new car in the next few months. WHAT'S HAPPENING TO MEEEEEEE?

Just wait till REI has a 20% off sale on Thule or Yakima racks.

Also I might be buying a new car this weekend... What am I thinking?!? Unfortunately I have to do something though, the little 02 Saturn can't handle my needs. My wife will be living in Vail for the next 30 months (I will live in Denver) and would like to still be able to ski and see her as much as possible.

Did I mention she has a '13 Ford escape? I guess I can maybe never have to buy a car again?

:(

spwrozek fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Apr 24, 2014

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

So my wife is leaving for Vail for 30ish months and this leaves me with a huge house to myself. It is kind of in the burbs but in a pretty nice location relative to Denver, boulder, and golden. She will be home on some weekends and I will be up in Vail on most.

I haven't had a roommate in 8 years... Should I get a roommate? I figure I can get $500-600 a month for a room. Plus they can use all my stuff. But I have all my stuff and it is mine and I don't know how much I want someone being around my stuff. I would need to actually lock up my finance stuff, not leave money laying around, I am afraid of terrible people and people who will try to steal from me. But the money would be nice!

What should I do?

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

I know it is not rational. Just haven't had a roommate in so long... If they put one knife in the dishwasher I swear there will be hell to pay!

But yeah I probably will just do it. Free money and all

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

I will check out air bnb but not sure my location is perfect fit that to work out well. Plus I am out most of the time on weekends. Roommate might be the best bet.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Welp, just bought a new car...

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

dreesemonkey posted:

What did you end up getting?

Subaru Impreza sport premium. Msrp was $24k, paid $20.5k. So not too bad.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

Did you haggle for it or did you go somewhere like CarMax?

Went to a local car dealer but had an ace in the hole. We have corporate buying programs with Ford, Chevy, and Subaru. So I contacted the Subaru one and found out a good price. Then shopped some dealers locally to see if I should do better. Ended up doing and $300 better than the corporate program. They were a bit above that at first so I said here is an email for what I can get the same car for, can you beat it and they did.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

My month end was mixed. Made ~$8500 net and spent about ~$6500. The $2000 extra will go to Sallie Mae tomorrow. I also bought a new car pulling $5500 out of savings and financing $16000 @ 2%. I also decided that we have too much emergency savings vs our student loan debt so I am going to pay off Sallie Mae this month ($12335 total). That will leave about $10,000 in emergency money. Our student loans will be under $40k and I will fee up $675 a month to debt snowball the other loans.

Found a place for my wife to live in Vail... So we are going to have to shell out about $4000 to secure that. Work is reimbursing her for everything we just have to front the money. I need to sit down and create a Vail budget sheet to go with my regular budget sheet. She basically will get about $3000 a month and we are going to try to make that work so we save money on the other budget... I feel like it might get complicated.

If anyone has ever had to budget like that and has some advice that would be great. I probably will do a more detailed write up in the budget thread.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

My wife gets a phone from work so she got a new phone and number and be canceled the old one that we were paying for. My work just pays me for my personal. Did I mention I love having free phones?

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

spinst posted:

Why did I buy a car? Whyyyyyyyy?

Just picked up my new ride.. Mmmmmm new car smell.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

So for $12,400 you can keep the car you have and know you like (you do like it right?) And know has been treated well. Alternative is to get out of the lease and maybe get a little bit of cash and buy a used car for how much? If you are going to spend $8k on a used car from say 09-10 time frame that will have more miles and someone else's driving history and maintenance it might be with it to keep the car you are in now.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

I have a $2000 car to sell you in Colorado.
And stop leasing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

That diet would make me want to kill my self...

I am going to with the find a better job and be able to eat like a human.