Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Oh hey guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

Basil is expensive as hell unless you get it from a farmer's market. I used to have to spend $3-4 dollars and get next to nothing. At the farmer's market we would spend a $1 and get probably three times as much.

Wait, you are talking about basil right?

Oh yes. And just imagine, you could be selling that poo poo for 3-4 bucks for next to nothing. Just buy my BASIL kit, only 49.99!!!

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Veskit posted:

I'm growing a lot more than basil though. Eventually when it comes winter time I'll pull everything out from the beds and keep it safe under a grow light, but till then the basil is growing like weeds in the starter planters. Just keeping the cats away from it has been... Challenging.

We're growing basil, sage, thyme, dill, tomatoes, broccoli, carrots, shallots (fuckers wont sprout from bulbs yet), bought a rosemary bush, and 4 types of chiles (hatch red/green, jalapenos and cayenne), and cat grass

Can't loving waaaiiit

Man, I planted this fucker on December 29th and it's going nowhere.

I think it's because the winter has 7 hours of sunlight and -35C temperatures, even though it's inside under a lamp.

Edit:

oxbrain posted:

How much basil would I have to grow and sell to fund my habit of eating out every day at lunch?

Approximately four BASILS per day.

Sundae posted:

I have never once regretted buying you that avatar. :lol:

You must be so proud of all the threads that get derailed with BASILtalk.

tuyop fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Mar 17, 2014

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Nocheez posted:

I did not eat out today.

I bought a $2.50 coffee from one of the coffee shops on campus. It's kind of a gamble for me because I've gotten to know one of the workers there and she sometimes gives me my coffee (or like a three dollar muffin) for free.

The worst part: it was cold. $2.50 for cold loving coffee!

But, there's still 110 in the family fun money budget so whatever.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

DrAlexanderTobacco posted:

I really need to stop spending so much money on such useless poo poo. I'm still putting a good-ish amount away each month but I could save so much more. I've bought YNAB and will try making a budget tonight.

Can you give us an example? :allears:

I'll go, last week I bought a Bluetooth speaker. 80 after shipping.

I just want one so bad. :negative:

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

DrAlexanderTobacco posted:

As I said it's mostly small stuff that can add up. Pizza now and then (~£10), lottery tickets, games on Steam etc.

Absolutely fine in moderation (I'm preaching to the choir here :D ) But I don't keep track of what I buy apart from a cursory glance at my balance every few days. Which causes me to go "It's that low? Whaaa" etc.

Why would you ever buy lottery tickets?

Unless you just don't understand math, which I get, math is hard. But still, :psyduck:

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

ranbo das posted:

Technically when the lottery prize pool breaks a certain point (~260m iirc) then buying a lottery ticket makes mathematical sense (your expected value is positive), which means you should play. Realistically though, you're not going to win.

Yes, if you gamble then a lottery ticket can be a fair bet, but that's very rarely the case.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
I dream of setting up an NAS and using it to play music through sonos speakers in every room and back yard and serve my tv.

Now we just chromecast YouTube and Netflix from our phones and plug in an otherwise-useless laptop through hdmi.

I'll probably do the former after a few years of teaching on reserves in the north, pulling in whatever absurd salary they pay with the minimal expenses living in a teachage implies. Last month I checked and I'm eligible for a $16 000 bursary for 9 weeks of a practicum in a northern school. My disability pay makes it only worth about 8k, but still!

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

spwrozek posted:

Dude you can eat out and drink beer...my word. If you have a budget for it and enjoy it no big deal. We have $150 a month in our budget which is basically 2 nights out with drinks and a few lunches a month. You have to enjoy life a little.

Seneca says that your enjoyment of life ought not depend on nights out and lunches. :colbert:

dreesemonkey posted:

Bluetooth speaker is/was one of my favorite buys ever. But I did it in true frugal fashion by using gift money :smug:

I got the Logitech UE Miniboom. It's loving awesome, just arrived after I ordered it like four business days ago. I'm highly impressed, Amazon. I can now have podcasts in the shower. :)

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Nail Rat posted:

It still takes a backseat to vegetables and nuts, though, is what I'm saying. Obviously it's better than candy and useful in moderation, but people who eat mountains of fruit(not necessarily the poster above) and talk about how healthy they're eating make me :negative:

Nuts are the gasoline of the food world. You should only use them as a staple if you're burning a lot of calories every day.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Walked posted:

Way too much food talk here. Seriously I have threads bookmarked in BFC and YLLS almost exclusively and for a minute I forgot which forum I was in.

dried fruit is where fruit goes from "okay" to "holy gently caress sugar and calories without thinking about it" so quickly, in my experience

Moving on, my current status: trying not to overthink the money I have in index funds (in taxable accounts for longer-term savings) as there seems to be an murmur about the market topping out. I know its all about time in the market but there is media influence everywhere and its difficult to ignore. Stay the course :negative:

edit: Also I want to do my own remodel/repair work at my house but my dad was never good at teaching those skills and I dont know where to learn them. I just signed up for Habitat for Humanity so hopefully that's a good avenue. Any other ideas?

Man, I hope so. It would be awesome if the market crashed like, right now. Stock sale! :toot:

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
I just do intermittent fasting and don't worry about cooking breakfast or packing lunch. There is no biological reason why you must eat three times a day and gorging to get to 3300 calories from 5-9 is easy and cheap and awesome.

The first ten days or so kind of suck as you recondition your hormones to not be hungry at breakfast and lunch time, but after that you actually NEVER feel hungry and skipping a day or two of food is almost unnoticeable.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Nail Rat posted:

That's over 25 pounds of basil.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

No Wave posted:

How do you get 3300 calories in four hours? That's two pounds of butter. I'm assuming I didn't answer my own question.

Actually, lately I haven't been hitting 3300 just because my actual window has been reduced from 5-9 to like 7-9 due to workload.

But here's yesterday. Ignore the "4-6", that's old.

So like, 2200 calories =
4x eggs w/cheese
Trail mix
Toast w/ cinnamon sugar
Big loving salad w/a whole sausage (sausage is from my farmer, actual salt content is unknown)
Cereal with protein

A 3300 day would have those extra two hours to consume a big old stir fry with white fish or something. Maybe a couple of tuna sandwiches or salmon cakes. At this rate I'm turning into a 6" 160-lb twink pretty quickly. The other day my wife described me as "skinny" and I wept a little bit, my days of weighing 195 and running a <18 5k are behind me. :qq:

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Juanito posted:

Any online resource you recommend for reading more about intermittent fasting? It interests me..

I feel like I have periods where I can go all day without eating.. but it doesn't seem healthy, since I've always been told that if you don't eat, then your body goes into starvation mode, and it becomes even harder to lose weight.

Yeah that's bullshit. If that were true I'd be a fatass by now. 

But check out the IF thread in YLLS if you're interested. 

"Starvation mode" isn't very well-understood IIRC but seems to only affect people if they have like a 1k/day caloric deficit. With IF you can just calculate your intake totals per week and you're free to consume those however you want. It's pretty sweet having 14000 calories per week, eating half a pizza, then taking a day off to balance it out and continuing as normal to hit your weekly deficit.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

No Wave posted:

What weight are you at right now? That was more simple carbs than expected.

6" 168lbs. I squatted 285x6 last month so I wouldn't say I'm "skinny". :mad:

And yeah, my diet has been poo poo lately. I'm kind of ashamed.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
The woman in line in front of me was buying a soup and her card was getting rejected. She was obviously super embarrassed and upset. I asked if I could help and just paid for both of our orders (I got coffee).

A few hours later I was walking by that cafe and the manager called me over. I guess the cashier pointed me out to him and he gave me like twelve bucks worth of chips and baked goods for being nice.

Damnit man, I just want to be kind, don't turn this into a transaction! :mad:

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

pancaek posted:

You could have been the next guy to start another 'pay it forward' deal like what happened at that Tim Horton's a while back.

I love that doesn't devolve into a prisoner's dilemma of ever-increasingly extravagant purchases. :3:

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Nocheez posted:

I ate out today :(

It couldn't be helped. I live close to my office, but I had to go to a customer location on short notice.

Why didn't you just not eat? Are you a slave to food???

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Veskit posted:

I got approved for a bonus :woop: :woop:

Now to be boring and put half of it toward debt :shrug:

Yeah freedom is so boring!

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Veskit posted:

Thanks for the encouragement. People in my life and around me don't get how nice a feeling it is finally having income and taking care of these things. My girlfriend's brain doesn't work in the money sorta way (she's fine with money though), the rest of my friends have ridiculous savings/income and or are taken care of by their parents still, and my coworkers are... well... awful with money and stare at me blankly when I ask questions about how our retirement plans work.

I’ve found the best success in passing on the understanding of wealth = freedom by talking about tradeoffs and telling stories. To walk around China for a year would cost about 20k (say, $50/day), including airfare. What else does 20k get me? I could buy some things like a new bedroom set and a couple of one-week vacations to a resort and a ski trip. Or I could save that 20k and in a year or two when I have gap in my schedule, I could go to China and have a nice nest egg for finding a job when I get back. It’ll also be a lot easier because I won’t have to store a bedroom set and a ton of stuff I won’t use while I’m there. Not spending that 20k not only lets me spend the money on an incredible experience, but frees me from having to worry about pets and belongings. I don’t know who will watch my BASIL, though. :ohdear:

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
As part of my ongoing flirtation with injuries and ailments, I had to have a bunch of dental care done and I dislocated my finger and had to go to the hospital.

So I went to the non emergency trauma clinic and had them inspect my finger after it had been set on the spot by my phys ed professor. All good.

And I paid the dental bills (~170 after student insurance so far) out of pocket while we sort out my dental coverage through the military.

Today, we got a cheque from the dental insurance company, $330! Awesome!

And we got a bill for the clinic, which turns out to be private. $287. What the gently caress, Alberta?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

EugeneJ posted:

Yeah I've found that scouting out UrgentCare centers and what they charge/if they accept your insurance ahead of time saves *a lot* of hassle when you're in need of one.

I had no idea that such a thing even existed in Canada. I mean, I know healthcare is provincial but I've never seen a private clinic before and there was no mention of a fee when I was there.

I imagined like a McDonald's menu of procedures above triage. Yeah, I'll have an X-ray please. No I don't want to upsize to an MRI, it's just a dislocated finger.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
Would there be an audience for personal finance/frugality challenge threads? Like, "Commute by bike for April" or "Buy nothing new May"?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

Are you master of your domain?

I'm out.

Well I did a couple of those in my debt thread just to get to know my relationship with money better. Each one was a really good experience.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
The bike thing could be "bike or use transit or carpool". Driving yourself to work is a pretty big luxury that's taken completely for granted as necessary for most people.

Nether Postlude posted:

The "buy nothing new" for a month challenge would be fun. :)

There'd have to be exceptions for things that are necessities. And you'd have to be pretty honest with yourself what a necessity is.

Yeah my rules were:

Consumables are not new things. You can buy eggs.
If a thing breaks, you can replace or repair it. Get a used thing if possible, but you probably need that thing.
Used things that don't replace something count as new things.

Basically, just don't buy anything that you don't eat, drink, or burn (in your car) for a month.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

dreesemonkey posted:

I like the idea but as a boring old married guy who already carpools to work with his wife, I don't know that there are going to be many challenges I won't fail miserably at.

Eating oatmeal at my desk this morning, sandwich packed from home for lunch. 5 lbs lost in my first week of counting calories :toot:

So you ate at a 2500 calorie deficit per day for a week*? You should probably rethink this diet plan.

* 1lb of fat is ~3500 calories.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
Just grab the cheapest levers at your local bike shop. They're not really a tool that you need to min/max. I have some yellow plastic ones that have cool spoke clips in the handles, I think they were $3.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

Losing any more than 1-2 pounds a week, after accounting for like, daily fluctuations because you eat and drink poo poo, is unsustainable.

Unless you're very fat.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

dreesemonkey posted:

Well yea. I didn't claim it to be sustainable, it was literally "On monday morning I started counting calories and doing my best not to exceed 1600 unless I did significant exercise" vs eating whatever whenever. It was the very first week, I think typically people respond very quickly to a big change like that then it slows down.

I can probably expect about 1 lb/week if I keep up with it (I've dug myself this hole before) :negative: I didn't track but would be interested to see how much I was eating before, probably 2500-3000 calories on "normal" days.

Thanks, probably have to order from amazon, my LBS is 20 miles out of the way.

To help with your expectations, I've found a half-pound a week (~250 cal/day deficit) cut to be perfectly sustainable if you don't mind your performance stagnating.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

TouchyMcFeely posted:

I also have a question for the BFC daily chatters:

I have a company provided cell phone that they cover 100%. I'm allowed to use it for both company and personal business. It's great, except when I'm on vacation and coworkers/customers who have that number are able to call and if I'm not paying attention I'll answer.

So the question is: Do I get a cheap (read T-mobiles $30/month or $2/per day) plan specifically for personal use allowing myself to be unchained while I'm on vacation and off hours?

My financial situation stands at all debts paid off (minus fiancée's student loans), currently have saved $3,800 of our $20,000 emergency fund and $4,200 of our $10,000 wedding fund.

I've been mulling over the idea for a few years now but I'm warming up to the idea more and more now that we've lost one of our team members and the number of customers I'm servicing has increased significantly.

BFC Daily Chatters, what say you?

I say leave the phone at home if you don't want to be bothered by unnecessary communication. The solution here is not to compartmentalize different types of communication but to learn to let go and enjoy life without that possibility of instant contact.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

TouchyMcFeely posted:

I love you guys :hfive:

In this case I have an old T-Mobile Galaxy S2 (old work phone) that I could use so no upfront cost there.

I already have an office number that I give out that forwards to my cell but people are sneaky and frequently grab my cell number when I call them.

And as for not having my phone with me at all times, planted squarely in my rear end...What the hell is wrong with you? Did you realize that without a cell phone you might miss a call, or get lost or not be able to update facebook or any number of other unspeakable things? People DIED before the invention of the cell phone. And worse, they had nothing to do when they pooped!

But I'm with everyone here. I've thought about it off and on for a number of years and just couldn't justify it. Still can't and the internet agrees with me so there we are. Cell phone free it is.

Thanks BFC. You're the best!

This post makes me very happy. :unsmith:

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Boris Galerkin posted:

I cannot fathom not having my phone with me even on vacations. It's my map, my camera, my internet, my notes, my to-do list. It's how I get in touch with people I'm visiting to catch up and grab a beer with them and so on. You guys are crazy.

I usually go to a country after learning a bit of the language and hitchhike to a place that sounds interesting. That's how I travel without my phone.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Haifisch posted:

And bring 15 more things with you because you want to make a moral point about phones.

It's not a 'kids these days can't live without instant communication at any time or place!' thing - it's about simple practicality. I want a camera on this trip, do I lug along a camera or the phone? I also want maps on the trip, do I bring along bulky traditional maps, spend time printing out google maps, or bring the phone? Do I take up space in my apartment with an alarm clock, or do I use my phone? Repeat for all the things the phone makes redundant.

I'm not saying "kids these days" at all, just that all those things (phone and it's substitutes) are totally unnecessary and most people would do well to travel without them despite what they think they want or need. It's an amazing experience to be able to live indefinitely in the world with nothing but some clothes, money, a bit of Spanish or Turkish or whatever and the kindness of strangers.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Bubbacub posted:

Also it was flavorless.

This is because you boiled it.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

I feel really bad, so it looks like I'll be using a sick day tomorrow.

Paid or unpaid?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

Paid but I ended up going to work anyway. I might leave early though if I feel worse.

edit: Why can't I simply set a budget with my credit card company?

*Slides Card*
"Sir your card has been declined because you'll go over your grocery budget this month. Do you want to over-ride?"
*People behind me in line are scoffing, "guy can't even stick to his budget"
"I... OK, I'll put it all back, there's stuff for me to eat in the fridge anyway"
*Everyone in line begins to clap*

Oh because they and everyone else will make less money never mind.

Nobody would ever use such a feature anyway, just like how most people don't use automatic bill payments or travel rewards intelligently.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

Speaking of Target it annoys me that I can't set autopay for a specific date, for some reason it can only be set to the day the statement is due. I'd much rather get a confirmation a week before by email than the day/day after the payment is due.

This is only a problem if you spend more money on your card than is earmarked for spending in your chequing account.

I understand it can be stressful if you have $2000 in your account and rent of, say, $800 comes out on the 1st and your CC bill withdraws $1500, leaving you short on rent until you get paid on the 30th or whatever. The solution to this stress is not to change the transfer date, but to keep bills+spending+emergency in your chequing account at all times.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

This is only stressful for me because Target already screwed up once and most other sites allow you to select the day you would like the autopayment to occur. With Target (as far as I can tell) it's always on the day before it becomes late. I'm not really concerned about overdraft or anything like that. I just like to know, idk a couple days before the due date that the bill has been paid.

So you only care because they've failed to make the withdrawal in the past?

I think a lot of people have a bit of anxiety about whether a bill has really been paid, and beyond correctly setting up the automatic payment, I think the best treatment for that anxiety is to just forget about it and stick to your budget. Things you can control over things you can't and all that. I guess that's not your problem if you're just worried about an unreliable company, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Everything Burrito posted:

I'm terrible about letting stuff linger in the freezer too long. In the case of single-serving frozen vegetables I give them to my dogs (nothing toxic of course). They love eating frozen stuff and it feels better than just tossing them in the trash.

I bought sixty pounds of pork tenderloin in August for my wedding, it's been in my freezer ever since because our spit pig was sufficient. I'm just getting it carved up into 3-pound cuts today. I imagine I'm going to have to use most of it for stew because of freezer burn. Woo $300 worth of stew meat because of laziness!