Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

Basil is expensive as hell unless you get it from a farmer's market. I used to have to spend $3-4 dollars and get next to nothing. At the farmer's market we would spend a $1 and get probably three times as much.

Wait, you are talking about basil right?

Yes, BASIL, the official fine herb of BFC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

FadingChord posted:

I don't hang out in BFC enough to get what's obviously an inside joke, so I honestly have no idea (even after the pictures of :siren: actual basil :siren: have been posted) if this is a forums-friendly weed joke or not.

Please don't spoil it for me; not being able to google an answer on the internet is a magical feeling for me. :allears:

The joke is that even after all these years, we're still not sure if he was going to grow pot or basil. He claims it was basil, but if you want to turn a profit from a hydroponic grow-op, you'd think pot, right? Anyway it seems it was basil all along, we're still not sure.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Nocheez posted:

I did not eat out today.

Went to the grocery store Saturday and they had a sale on those bowls of ramen. The spicy one, they're loving delicious.

I get that they're not the greatest nutrition ever and that $1.20 is still not BFC optimal for a meal, but I stocked up because they're an easy no-excuse meal. Too tired to cook? No clean dishes? Kitchen dirty? Got to McD's. Make ramens. No time to make lunches for work? Eat out. Bring ramens.

Because goddamn does eating out get expensive, at ~$8.50 a go on average

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

tuyop posted:

But seriously.

If the door works fine, swing by Canadian Tire and pick up a $10 can of patch-up paint, clean the area and spray that poo poo on so it doesn't rust. It may or may not look worse than it does now, but it'll at least slow down the rust.

And holy gently caress do you have terrible luck with cars.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

tuyop posted:

Nah, everyone hates me. They'd be like, man if the choice is between unhealthy finances and becoming like this loving guy, I'll take my 600/month coffee habit!

The champion is not the hero we want, he's the hero we need can reasonably afford.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

On work week lunches: I load up on ramen when they go on sale and stash them at my desk.

Tuyop, don't buy a boat. Boats are terrible for you. Remember when you hated your car because it was costing you a fortune and always needed repairs? Boats are like that but also, sewage.

Trust me, I used to live on much bigger boats than you'll ever buy, and even those sucked to live on (Pay was decent though, goddamn do I miss making ~70k for six months of work. Going home almost every night is worth it though.)

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

dreesemonkey posted:

I have a nice aluminum canoe at my parent's house that they gave to me, I just haven't figured how to get it back up to my house yet. I was just looking this morning on amazon for roof racks and whatnot for my truck but everything is "too loving expensive".

http://www.mec.ca/product/5010-236/sherpak-deluxe-universal-canoe-kit/

If you're handy with ropes and your car has lashing lugs on the chassis (Lots of cars have or at least used to have them for shipment overseas, look for solid rings on each side of your car back and front, under and inside the bumper) you can get away with four $3.75 foam blocks and $10 worth of ropes. poo poo a couple of hold foam mattresses, 2x4's and straps and you can make a DIY roof rack that'll hold two canoes. You don't need an actual roof rack.

Don't strap the paddles to the inside of the canoe, though. You might think it's a good idea; I assure you it's not. The canoe turns into a giant whistle once you hit the highway.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

dreesemonkey posted:

I think I could get something rigged up, my main concern is that it's an hour or so away from me and it's basically all highway speeds back to my place. Just makes me a little weary. I was behind a van once on the highway that had a canoe slide off the side of it, at highway speeds and dragged next to the van. At least they pulled over right away.

Four blocks, mid strap, v-straps front and back, and you can take the highway no problem. Take the first exit, stop, tighten up anything that got loose or started vibrating and you're good all the way home.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

GanjamonII posted:

Seconding this, I've strapped canoes to the roof of my truck multiple times with a similar kit. 70-80 mph for 1-2 hours at a time with no real issues. Only problems I had was vibration from the straps causing a droning noise, but you can readjust them easily.

Twist the straps. I don't know why or how, but in my experience having a few twists in the straps really cut down on the noise.

tuyop posted:

I strapped a canoe and a kayak to the roof of my Mazda 3 a few years ago. No roof rack, I just used those foam things and strapped it down hard.

It dented and scratched my roof a little, of course. :doh:

I don't understand people who get all emotional about scratches in their cars. It's a tool; using it is going to wear it down over time, unless you treat it as a museum piece. Just get one of those paint pens and fill up the scratch for rust-proofing, problem solved.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Veskit posted:

Were those those like 500 dollar boots i can't remember

No that was his underwear.

Just sent in my federal tax return, gonna use the federal refund to pay what I owe the province. :quebec: Goddamn I miss getting $9K refunds; on the other hand I guess I get to use my money faster, wooo! Feels like the credits for tuition used to be a lot better though.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Tuna's not the most sustainable of fisheries though. Delicious, but not the most environment friendly.

Fish in the office isn't terrible if you don't eat it up and rinse out the can before throwing it out. If you microwave fish in an office you're literally Hitler.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

It's ok to spend money, if you're feeling that much anxiety over it you might want to see a professional.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Federal tax refund isn't in yet, so it looks like I'll have to dip into the emergency fund to pay off provincial, then re-fund that once the fed refund comes in. Once everything's settled I'm down just $35 (Federal refund - Provincial owed) but gently caress if it doesn't piss me off. And I have tuition due this month, so I'm probably going to float that on a credit card until the next paycheck.

Handling cashflow like a poor, what up. :suicide:

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

spinst posted:

Why did I buy a car? Whyyyyyyyy?

BFC.txt

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

A few years back I walked into a CU in bumfuck nowhere, Quebec, with about $5k USD rolled up in a checked luggage sticker. Things got funny. (I'd been working overseas, they paid cash, it was roughly five months' worth)

Deposit that poo poo ASAP, I had about $100 go missing from my suitcase on the last trip I was on and I'm still sore about it.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Why not just buy the smart car used?

In other news, have you guys seen the prices online dating sites charge these days? :stare: My friends were pushing me toward those because the fee'd weed out the flakes but holy poo poo.

I'm gonna go buy a bottle of scotch instead, seems like a better investment.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Plus parts for a Civic are all over the place; Smart cars are not nearly as common. I doubt you'd save that much on fuel either.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

tuyop posted:

My parents have invested in a friend's pottery business in the Caribbean. Their loans have been returning 18% per year, and the friend wants to expand by converting a building to a second facility, but there's also some issue with a loan shark who charges 20% per month. The whole thing is time sensitive because of the loan shark. So they made me a proposal:

If my wife and I lend 5k for five years, my parents guarantee the loan and we receive 18% annually, then the principal in 2019. It's like a bond. My parents will also be given a small plot of land in-country in return. This makes sense for the Caribbean friend because he'll be spending so much less on interest.

I know my parents can repay the loan if it doesn't work out because they have quite a bit of property but can't easily lend the money themselves because they're cash poor. The 5k is a lot of money for us (about 80% of net monthly income), but not money that we were going to spend, just put toward our portfolio anyway. I kind of see it as an 18% guaranteed return instead of the volatility of the market. I don't really see much risk to the principal because I know my parents are good for it.

The added bonus is use of this property for vacations. I'm sure that would be available anyway, but now we feel like we're helping out.

Of course, nothing strictly legal will be drawn up and there's no insurance or any security beyond the word of my parents. I trust them completely.

Is my risk assessment at all accurate here? The cost is a smaller portfolio and tax return this year, with the remote possibility that we never see the money again.

On top of what the above poster has said, how are you planning on reporting this income to the CRA?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

tuyop posted:

Basil.

GUYS, NOTE THAT THAT IS NOT BOLDED AND CAPITALIZED.

So... Pot?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

It's both basil and pot until you smoke it and find out. It's Schrodinger's Herb.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

tuyop posted:

Or just don't leave the house because you're so gripped by fear. That's probably the safest option.

That's what I've been doing; it's a very frugal lifestyle but it makes it hard to meet women.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

spwrozek posted:

Wife went out for lunch today, at least it is part of the budget.

One more reason not to meet women.

I need to ditch my shrink. "Go out more! Talk to people! It's safe to leave the house!" is how a $300/month line item turns into a money pit.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

STI is the newer one; they changed the French one around the same time (It went from MTS to ITS I think). The reasoning was that infection was more inclusive, if I recall correctly, because you can be infected with something without having a disease.

I was dating a CEGEP social work student at the time, so I got to hear a lot about STDs and human trafficking. To keep this thread on topic, she never got a job in her field and was planning to pay off her student loans (About 15k) at $70/month. She's back in school now.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

My dad's got an old-rear end Subaru Legacy, drop the seats and you're good for like 99% of the entire family's hauling needs. Took home a bunch of 8' forenze and weirdly shaped shelter structural elements yesterday, didn't even have to play Tetris. Got one of those roof-mounted containers for all your camping needs, too, but I don't think that thing's left the backyard in five years.

The only thing we can't do with it is tow the boat; it's not worth the cost to add a hitch for the two or three times a year we'd move the thing within the marina's yard (it's cheaper to just bribe one of the marina's guy to use the dozer) and we'd need something dumb like an F-150 to tow the thing on the street.

I guess I'd be saving $700 a year in storage! If I had a place to park the boat at. :downs:

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Bloody Queef posted:

Depending on how large your yard is, you can ditch the gas mower on Craigslist and then buy one of these.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0045VL1OO?pc_redir=1399739847&robot_redir=1

No gas costs, virtually no maintenance. I think you have to sharpen the blades on occasion, but I'm 2 years in and they're just as effective as day 1.

Depending on the life expectancy of his current mower and it's potential resale value, he might be better off riding his existing one into the sunset than buying a $200 hand-pushed job.

You have to figure out how much gas your mower is actually burning (IE, not a lot) and how much money you'd save compared to how much you'd have to invest in the new mower. Not doing that calculation is how a shitton of people end up with hybrids that are doing them no favors.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

Yeah I feel the same way. I'm a big fan of paying the workers and not a company that pays their workers a pathetic wage to do hard labor. If some kids or a guy just wanting to cut the grass came to my house and offered to do it for $20-30 bucks I would hire them on the spot. The guy currently fixing up my house is in the same situation. Not only do I save money but I feel good knowing that he gets the fruit of his labor and not the guy sitting in the AC on the cell.

The only thing I'm worried about is what if the dumb kid hits a rock and loses an eye or burns his hands like I did. The homeowner is hosed then right?

Basically, yeah. That's the drawback of hiring unlicensed, unbonded and unaccredited contractors under the table (Which that 14 year old kid is, essentially.) Legally most everyone looks the other way because 14 year olds are gonna mow, but...

What are the odds that someone's going to get seriously hosed up mowing a lawn though? I'd be more concerned about people doing work on the house; with a licensed contractor you get some legal protection if the job is hosed five ways to Sunday. Or if they fall off your roof.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Whenever I get drugs I just ask for the generics and they end up giving me whatever's cheaper. Motrin / Tylenol / Store Brand Ibu might just be because some people have pretty strong brand loyalty for whatever reason. I used to buy multiple family pack of seasickness pills a year, and asking for "Gravol, but generic" saved me like 20% every time.

Then I'd get "So are you familiar with this medication, mister uh... *Look at file* Oh. Ok. Nevermind."

Joking aside, anytime you're buying drugs, grab the name brand stuff, look at the ingredients, then find the store brand that has the same stuff. Exact. Same. Thing. 50% cheaper.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

My mistake; I keep confusing Tylenol and Advil. Obviously always check the active ingredients before taking drugs.

Unless you're in TCC, in which case just eyeball it.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

Did you only bring like 100 bucks with you?

Seriously all I ever hear about places with socialized medicine is how cheap it is. Like a night at the hospital only costing $50 bucks including the drugs and they reimburse bus fare to get to the hospital.

The medicine is only free if you've paid into it. I think here you have to be a resident for at least six months before RAMQ kicks in. Even if you do end up paying, it should be cheaper than in the states anyway.

In any case, everyone should include the cost of travel insurance in their travel budget; you can get pretty decent coverage with a $150/year credit card, in my experience that's been the cheapest way to get it outside of employer's coverage plan; getting it from a travel agency or directly from your insurance provider seems to run in $200 - 300 per month depending on where you're going.

My no-fee credit card used to cover me for trips not exceeding three days; I didn't even know that when I used it to rent a car... That a co-worker then totaled. No deductible, no insurance hit, just a phone call and "Yeah, we'll handle it." I've upgraded to their "travel" card now, $150 a year, 48 days of coverage, 1.something% cash back.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Aren't there reciprocity agreements where they'll just send the bill to the other province and you don't get charged personally? The only time I used medical services out of province it was a worker's comp issue; that might have been why I didn't get billed...

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Got offered a free parking space at work, turned it down. It's a 10 kilometer commute one way, 15-20 minutes in normal traffic, 30 minutes by bus. I live near a bus hub, so I've got plenty of options on the way home and I don't have to wait in the rain too long if I don't mind taking a less optimal route.

Bus pass is 80 or so a month after taxes, and partially tax deductible. I'd need to have a car use cost, including gas, of 22.5 cents per kilometer or less to make it worth it financially. Even less if you consider the tax write off on the bus pass.

Plus I'd have to dig the car out every morning and be awake enough to drive to work. gently caress that.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Doesn't work that way, if I don't use it it goes to the next co-worker in line.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

It's a small outfit, we don't have things like "HR" or "other bus riders", this was literally the admin emailing me "Hey, the building threw in an extra parking pass with the lease renewal, do you want it? Otherwise I'll give it to So-and-so." I don't think I can leverage that into anything else.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

You guys are way overthinking this; gaming the parking pass would only result in office drama that just isn't worth it, and the co-worker who gets it will actually make use of it. Heck I think the plan was that we'd share it, month on month off or something, which... Yeah.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

It's an indoor spot, but I have a window in the office, maybe I can grow BASIL on the filing cabinet. Turn this job into a money making opportunity.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

gently caress loose change, drat do I hate that poo poo.

The business model for gift card is that they ensure whatever money's on the card is going to get spent at that store. Plus they get the money in advance, which is pretty nice.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

spwrozek posted:

It is way easier just to track what you spend. You guys are going crazy. Next thing you know you will have 5 prepaid cards and six checking accounts.

It's the BFC way.

You gonna eat all that?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

My wife said she was going to a sandwich store on the way home last night because someone gave her two of their punch cards that entitled her to two free sandwiches. When I check Mint it turns out she spent $3.95 because she had to get the special sandwich. ugh.

Sever.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Nocheez posted:

A friend of mine has a marriage like this. It pretty much breaks down to him spending all of his money on the bills and house, and she runs around on expensive vacations.

I don't know how he hasn't snapped yet.

That's... Not a marriage, that's some weird cohabitation arrangement.

tuyop posted:

I don't understand, one is terrible and the other is loving awesome...

Please don't go poly, tuyop. We don't want to lose you to E/N.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

So in a poly household, how do they handle finances? Can you get a joint account for three people?