Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

Costco is out of my way, I don't have a card and the only reason I go there is when I run out of allergy meds, which won't happen again for another two years, maybe less since I seem to be less problems with allergies as I've gotten older.

OTC meds or prescription meds? Can you buy OTC meds there without a card?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
If you're ever in a bind, Dollar Tree has a ton of cheap generic meds. I think they have 14 tabs of generic Zyrtec for $1.00.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
During the day I live off free water and boxes of generic Pop Tarts from the dollar store. Saves me a poo poo load of money.

I can't even imagine being a coffee drinker and having to pay for that multiple times/day :psyduck:

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

kissekatt posted:

That's where the only skill part of buying a lottery ticket comes in - picking numbers that other people don't pick. Avoid possible birthdays, pick numbers in a (near) sequence (because everyone's gut feeling is that 1-2-3-4-5 is far more improbable than 1-14-15-22-37), and so on.

The numbers are completely random and the odds are horrible.

There is no skill involved.

Do not play the lottery.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

CountOfNowhere posted:

That sounds horrifically unhealthy.

It used to be Pop Tarts and Sweet Tea.

Switched from Sweet Tea to water and lost 30 pounds.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Is it bad that I'm considering moving into an apartment-share with someone for $180/month because I'll save like $3500/year instead of staying at my current apartment?

I know I'll give up my privacy, but...$3500!

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Your Dead Gay Son posted:

You'll have a bedroom won't you?

Of course, but have to share bathroom/kitchen/common area.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah I've found that scouting out UrgentCare centers and what they charge/if they accept your insurance ahead of time saves *a lot* of hassle when you're in need of one.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I only keep the pantry stocked for 2-3 days worth of meals at a time. Makes me more conscious of spending (by shopping for food more often), and I refrain from buying anything that will be wasted.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Cicero posted:

That kind of sounds like the dark side of frugality.

My grandmother's friend used to buy dresses, wear them to parties, then return them the next day

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Trying to decide what to do here. The only black hole in my finances is my car lease. I'm leasing a 2012 Honda Civic for $195/month and have a year left on the lease.

I paid $2000 down, so over the course of 3 years I will have paid $9,000 (not including insurance or maintenance) :psyduck:

So my options now are:

-Ride out the rest of the lease

-Take whatever the dealer's offering to turn the car in early (I think the car has 2-3k worth of equity compared with the current market value) and get something used

-Take whatever the dealer's offering to turn the car in early (I think the car has 2-3k worth of equity compared with the current market value) and get a cheaper leased car like a Smart Fortwo ($999 down and $99/month for 3 years = $4563 for a Smart Car over 3 years)

-Buy the car outright after the lease is over (the buyout price is $10,000)

What would you do, goons?

I live in an area that gets snow, so the Smart Car probably isn't wise. But god drat is it cheap.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I think I found a new option:

http://www.scion.com/promotions/purelease/#model=iQ

$3129 down - $1000 bonus cash - $750 college grad bonus = $1379 down

$1379 down + $99/month for 36 months = $4945 for a 3-year lease

And the iQ has good reviews compared to the Smart ForTwo.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
My savings are only $13,000 or so, and I only make about 25k/year, so parting with all of the money I have to payoff the Civic would be a big risk.

I also have $27k in student loan debt that I'd like to pay down as soon as I have more money saved up. A lower monthly car payment would help me achieve that by letting me save more money that I can use towards the debt. Dumping $10k into a new car or financing the $10k with a loan isn't appealing to me.

gently caress loans, basically. The Civic's fine, but realizing you could have paid off your student loan debt by now if you were just smarter with car selection is a harsh pill to swallow.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

a worthy uhh posted:

"gently caress loans" -Guy who keeps leasing cars that cost as much as his yearly salary

...and I'm trying to change that, thanks for caring!

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I'll post my budget later - I actually live quite modestly and in an area with low cost-of-living.

Had beaters before, never want to go through the "Yeah, you need $2000 worth of work to pass inspection" talk again with a mechanic. Seemed like I was doing that every year at one point.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Rick Rickshaw posted:

I know that living here rust and potholes will kill my car far sooner than if I lived in a more consistent, drier climate. Where do you live? Is that what was happening to your older cars?

Yes, I live in Western New York and corrosion is a major problem here. Rock salt is the devil.

It's amazing travelling to California and seeing people driving cars from the 1970s that don't look like they've aged a single day.

As promised, my monthly expenses:

Rent: 425
Student loans: 240
Car lease: 195
Car insurance: 87
Hospital bill from when I was uninsured: 80
Gas: 60
Utilities: 50
Food: 40
Credit card: 25

Total: 1202/month
Income: 1666/month (after taxes and health insurance deductions)
Net Gain: 464/month

Now here's where things get fun. The balance on my one Perkins loan is down to around $1500 and I'm going to pay that in full soon, reducing my student loan payment by $40. I'm going to qualify for full IBR this year and my Stafford loan payment will be $0, so that reduces my student loan payment by another $50. The hospital bill has 0% interest and will be paid off in a year, or whenever I decide to pay off the balance (it's at like $1200 now). The credit card I opened specifically for an emergency auto repair and has 0% interest for 18 months - I'll pay the minimum payments for a while and then pay off the full amount around Month 17.

So in about a year my monthly expenses will look more like:

Rent: 425
Student loans: 150
Car lease: 195
Car insurance: 87
Hospital bill from when I was uninsured: 0
Gas: 60
Utilities: 50
Food: 40
Credit card: 0

Total: 1007/month
Income: 1666/month (after taxes and health insurance deductions)
Net Gain: 659/month

If I could work it out so that my Net Gain is close to $1000/month, that would be phenomenal. If I bought a beater and insured it at the bare minimums, I would be close to that.

Asking for a raise soon, so that would help too :)

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

GAYS FOR DAYS posted:

You spend $40 bucks a month on food?

What?

I'm thrifty.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Cicero posted:

I'm trying to figure out what thrifty means in this instance. Bums food off parents or friends? Extensive garden? Goes to soup kitchens? Extreme couponer? Lives off of top ramen?

No but seriously, that's pretty impressive.

I only buy a few days worth of food ahead of time. Being a former fatty, I know the danger in having a stocked pantry.

It breaks down something like:

$10/month - generic boxes of Pop Tarts (work food)
$10/month - cheap cookies/crackers to have around the house
$20/month - pasta, rice, whatever sounds good for lunches/dinners

I only drink water and don't drink alcohol.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Folly posted:

You're paying $200 a month for a car you drive so little that you only spend $60 in gas each month? That must mean your daily commute is < 12 miles round trip? Sounds like you could use a bike.

Weather around here is only good 3 months out of the year and my commute runs through the hood, so a bike wouldn't work. If our transit system wasn't horribly inefficient I'd take public transportation.

I do go to other people's places for dinner a few times a month, guys. Don't worry about my diet.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Your owner is a piece of poo poo who pocketed the excess money.

Canceling a credit transaction is as simple as making a phone call.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

So I went back to the pharm and asked "motrin, advil, ibuprofen is all the same stuff right? no extra ingredients or differences?"

"yeah, it's all marketing."

My question is why don't pharms or doctors tell people this straight up? I would. I know some doctors get commissions for certain prescription drugs but I never thought that went to ooc stuff as well.

Because drug companies throw billions of dollars at doctors through free food/vacations in order to get them to prescribe brand-name drugs.

Welcome to America.

You could have went to Dollar Tree and got a 40-pack of generic ibuprofen for $1.00.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Has anyone successfully got married and kept their finances completely separate?

Like, no joint-checking accounts and no snooping?

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Smart tv's have crap ui's that are rarely (if ever) updated and are slow.

I'm sure at some point tv's will have Chromecast functionality built-in, but at the moment they're still pretty half-baked.

I have my laptop hooked up via an HDMI cable to my flat-screen, and I use a wireless keyboard to navigate. It's awesome.

EugeneJ fucked around with this message at 19:50 on May 17, 2014

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Bobert51 posted:

Ugh. I'm wrapping up the first month I've had a United Chase credit card, and I have it set up to autopay the full amount due from my checking account, but today is the due date and it hasn't autopaid yet. The lady on the phone assures me that it will go through today, but it still makes me nervous. After this month I won't be so worried but I really don't want to be hit with late fees while I have plenty of money to cover it just sitting in my checking account. I guess I'm mostly just worried I copied the debit number wrong some how and it won't go through :ohdear:

All the credit cards I've dealt with stipulate that until your ACTUAL STATEMENT says "autopay", you have to keep paying like normal. Usually it takes a billing cycle or two for it to happen.

You'd think it would just happen automatically since you can setup autopay in 30 seconds online, but no.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Juanito posted:

I really like Get Rich Slowly. Wide variety of topics.

quote:

So, in my opinion, there are some cases where it makes more sense to spend the few extra bucks instead of saving it. We’ve also done things like:

Sending my wife to a holistic doctor to help relieve a medical condition. It cost a thousand or two dollars, but medical doctors cost us thousands more and were unable to solve the problem.

Giving money to church. We have faith that God will provide, so we give more money to church than to our own pocketbook yearly.

Yeah I stopped reading here.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Question of the Day: If you got laid off and had to go on Unemployment, would your Unemployment benefits cover your expenses?

AKA "How hosed would you be?"

If I used NY's benefit calculation:

quote:

1. Gather your pay stubs from the past year. Include pay stubs from all employers. If you do not have all the necessary pay stubs, contact your previous employers and request a printout or other statement of your weekly wages for the past 12 months.

2. Add your weekly wages together for each of the four quarters before you lost your job. The quarter with the highest amount of wages is your high quarter.

3. Divide your total high quarter wages by 26 if the high quarter wage figure is more than $3,575. If your high quarter wages are less than $3,575, divide the figure by 25. The resulting answer is your estimated weekly benefit amount.

I'd make about $225/week according to that, which translates to $900/month. I'd easily be able to get my expenses down to about $600/month, so I'd be fine. That would include deferring my student loans (which I would hate to do) and enrolling in Medicaid for health insurance.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Nail Rat posted:

Fuuuuck. Think the AC in my HVAC unit is finally giving up for good.

These are 100% electric units(heating and cooling), and according to the maintenance guy at our condo the replacements people are having to get nowadays when they give out are running like 7k. That's going to blow away my entire emergency fund.

The plus side...is I had that emergency fund. And I'm going to be rebuilding it $700 a month while still putting 1660 a month into retirement accounts and 250 extra on the mortgage every month.

Still...loving sucks man.

Can't you just get a couple window units for $100/pop, or are those not allowed in your complex?

What about portable air conditioners like these:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/air-conditioners/portable-air-conditioners/abcat0907004.c?id=abcat0907004

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

Are there any reputable online or alternative auto/home insurance companies? The thought of using Geico leaves a bad taste in my mouth even though MMM recommends them for some reason.

The giant corporations always offer the lowest prices. Never had a problem with Geico.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Returned the cable modem that I was leasing from Time Warner for $6/month since I bought my own.

My bill will now be $16/month for internet (tax included) :feelsgood:

This is the modem I bought used for $20 shipped if anyone's interested:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002M3SHXA/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

spwrozek posted:

You should have got the surfboard modem with docsis 3.0 IMO. I have had better results with that version (SB6121). I actually just bought another one for my wife's apartment.

I think docsis 2.0 is good on Time Warner up to 50mbps down - I'm only on the $14.99/2mbps down plan and the new modem is fine with speed.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Always always always pay the extra $20/year or whatever to add Full Glass to your comprehensive insurance

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Can't kids these days just use their phones to go to the book store, snap photos of the chapter they need for the day, then go off to class?

That's what I'd do

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Uncle Jam posted:

The only one I could find had the driver compartment filled with soil for some reason. Still would like to see some ads for $250 cars.

I also tried to find one after the "$250 car" post. The best I could find was a few $1500 cars that needed major work, and the owners were nice enough to lay out what repairs would be necessary to make them run

Most cars that I found that ran were around $3000 with 250,000+ miles and rebuilt engines

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
After having an $800 car that used to stall out randomly in heavy traffic, I'd rather pay extra to not ever experience that again

Anyone here ever use CarMax before? Good experiences? Bad experiences?

EugeneJ fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Jun 13, 2014

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

tuyop posted:

Man, my pension value transfer finally happened.

I had it assessed in October 2012, they estimated the value at 55k.

The markets have gone up like a shitload since then, so the value must be huge, right?

Nope. The value has plummeted to 34k. :psyboom: :suicide:

But, whatever. I wasn't going to do anything interesting with those tens of thousands of dollars I put into my pension since I was 19, no big deal!

...don't you have a website where you can check your balance?

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

FrozenVent posted:

Is it me or financial service providers are really pushing YOU MUST KNOW YOUR CREDIT SCORE AT ALL TIMES!!!!! these days? I've been arching a bit too much American cable tv these past few days, and it seems everyone is trying to sell me credit report.

I'm Canadian, so maybe that's why, but I don't know my credit score and I really couldn't care less.

It's all free money for them if you view your score through their service, so of course that's a smart thing to push.

Also in America we have a shitload of TV commercials pimping "free credit reports" that are really "whoops - you didn't read the fine print and cancel within 30 days of signing up, we're going to charge your credit card $70 - have a nice day!" scams. My grandparents fell for that, even after I told them what site to go to if they wanted their free annual reports (https://www.annualcreditreport.com/index.action).

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
CreditKarma added a free credit report feature that's currently in Beta - it shows your closed accounts and such now, pretty cool!

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

tuyop posted:

Yeah, she's amazing.

For almost four months, she's woken up at 5, studied bio and calculus to upgrade her marks until six, changed and gone to work to work out and do her job - which is pretty physically demanding, especially for a small woman - come home at 4:30, eaten, studied another hour, gone to school four times a week until 9 or 11, then repeated the whole mess over again. There's one more week left of this schedule for her. She has a 94 average (keep in mind these are high school courses, but still!)

In September she was leading a base-wide fitness competition and coordinating unit swim plans and sports tournaments, this got her nominated for a women in the military award since she was just a private with no leadership training and continued her normal duties without issue, and she recently got a commendation for staying up for 96 hours straight to get some vehicle working on an exercise.

So yeah, I'm very proud of her.

...how old is your wife

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

moana posted:

gently caress the USPS, I set up mail forwarding to my new address and just heard from my boss that my w2 came back marked "undeliverable, unable to forward." Which means all of my 1099s are lost in the ether too. I need to get my taxes done so I can get approved to buy a house and now I can't, and gently caress this poo poo forever. UGH

I think forwarding is only good for 30 days and then you have to renew it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

peter banana posted:

I ate out today but didn't pay for it :smug:

What a generous hooker