Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pancaek
Feb 6, 2004

sup fellaz

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

I also promised my wife that I won't buy books for at least a year

I don't want to sound like a huge jerk (maybe just a little jerk), but aside from taking up space, what's the issue with books? Unless you're reading pulp or trashy romance, certainly there are worse vices that you could combat.

On a related note, project Gutenberg is fabulous and a lot of those titles are available in epub form, which means you can drag them directly onto your e-reader. Kapow! The classics are yours!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pancaek
Feb 6, 2004

sup fellaz
My friend crew will occasionally pop into the corner store to buy our booze and pick up a few scratchers in solidarity with one another. On nights like those, winning $2 on a $1 scratch-off becomes the coup of the century. It's fun to watch.

We're also good at casually disregarding the fact that the rest of the scratchers are losers so a $2 win actually becomes a $6 net loss. :shrug:

pancaek
Feb 6, 2004

sup fellaz

tuyop posted:

The woman in line in front of me was buying a soup and her card was getting rejected. She was obviously super embarrassed and upset. I asked if I could help and just paid for both of our orders (I got coffee).

A few hours later I was walking by that cafe and the manager called me over. I guess the cashier pointed me out to him and he gave me like twelve bucks worth of chips and baked goods for being nice.

Damnit man, I just want to be kind, don't turn this into a transaction! :mad:

You could have been the next guy to start another 'pay it forward' deal like what happened at that Tim Horton's a while back.

pancaek
Feb 6, 2004

sup fellaz
I didn't have to pay for any of my work lunches this week :woop: but then went and ate out at a taqueria tonight because I was jonesing for a crispy taco :saddowns:

One step forward, two steps back. Such is life when you love tacos :(

pancaek
Feb 6, 2004

sup fellaz
I was able to travel without a phone for a week or two, but it wasn't as fun as the next time I went to the same place and brought a smartphone. Being able to access maps, restaurant reviews, and figuring out whether or not places were open or closed and how to get to them was valuable, and definitely worth the $100 or so I paid for an int'l data plan.

Getting unnecessary calls from back in the states while traveling ("Hello! I'm calling from Walgreens to remind you that you can refill your prescription!" "AGH HELL THIS JUST COST ME $2.50") was super annoying, though. Even letting the calls go to voicemail would have cost $$, too. It was ridiculous.

pancaek
Feb 6, 2004

sup fellaz
^^ With the number of hours you guys put in at the office they better be feeding organic, free-range foie gras every day. Unless you're in CA. Then no foie for you.

Bloody Queef posted:

BFC tip: Upon arriving in an international destination pop out your Sim card and go to a place that sells prepaid ones. I went to Ireland this summer and bought a $15 O2 Sim and 2 weeks worth of data and voice didn't use up the whole initial $15.

You need an international unlocked phone, but I had a Nexus 4 and that worked.

I was totally going to do this but didn't have an unlocked phone at the time :'( Third time's the charm, eh?

The next goal is to switch to a cheaper domestic phone plan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pancaek
Feb 6, 2004

sup fellaz
I just went out to an enormous birthday dinner, where the bill was divided between about 16 of us. People started shuffling around for cash and their credit cards so I asked if I could just pay with my CC and get everybody to venmo their share my way. Nobody flaked on their tab, and I just picked up 1,200 airline miles. :woop: