Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

I like this thread. If I kept everything else the same, and simply started obeying the instruction in the title, I could probably retire a year or two earlier...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

HTPC chat: I have an hp desktop that is almost silent and came with a core2duo 8500. Monopricee USB wifi adapter and a cheap fan-less video card and it can play anything I throw at it without any sort of issue. Starting with the c2d, I think computers are all pretty much fast enough for anything other than modern games or hardcore workstation type stuff. My 3ish year old laptop will probably never get too slow.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

And taxis are still a fuckload cheaper than a DUI, I'd that's the reason you're taking them.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

it's the $7-10 I spend Monday through Friday that needs to go.

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

AAAARGH!

I spend so much on parking and lunch because I'm a lazy gently caress. Everything else is fine but fuuuuuuuuck I need to stop.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

EugeneJ posted:

During the day I live off free water and boxes of generic Pop Tarts from the dollar store.

That sounds horrifically unhealthy.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

I drove to work today and am standing outside the tastiest thai cart in town , waiting for my extra-hot pad thai.

Al least failure is delicious.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

FrozenVent posted:

Any of you ever have a moment where you look back and think "wow, taking this job was the worst career mistake I've ever made"?

MyLife.txt

On my phone so no wall of text but suffice to say that toxic workplaces are a hard thing to recover from if you spend too long there.

Also IT is an epic shitshow, I am a dumbass for not getting a degree... Not as big of a career mistake as 5 years at a hellishly toxic workplace tho.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

froglet posted:

I think most IT workers hate their jobs after a while. Somewhere around the 3-5 year mark they realise that the nature of their job means it will be a perpetual uphill struggle.

Also, a degree won't necessarily solve all your problems, so don't pin all your hopes on it (unless you're getting knocked back from interviews for that specific reason). I've always had the problem of having a degree but little experience. I still think it's bullshit they advertise for a 'junior' position then knock applicants back due to lack of experience - isn't that the whole point?!

Other than the knowledge I'd get, I don't have much interest in getting a degree. It's too goddamn expensive.

The big regret that I have is burning out because I spent 5.5 years at a toxic workplace (with absolutely insane on-call hours) that wore me down and made me a bitter person with a poor work ethic. I've been kind of recovering, now that I've got an alright job at a low-stress company, but I feel like it set me back in ways that I may not ever be able to recover from. Mentally, that is...

tl;dr: it's hard for me to HTFU now

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

FrozenVent posted:

Glad to know it's not just me; I'm at the point where I spend more time browsing SA than actually working. I just can't work up the motivation to get anything done (Since I know all the projects are going to die in middle-management hell, and even the quickest of "Hey guys, see below" email requires an hour of justification and explanation).

I don't work for the government, I don't even work for a big company. There's literally five of us. Yet it takes me over a day to get an email out to external people.

I spent a couple years after that toxic job either unemployed (and doing random poo poo for money) and 6 months working a poo poo call center job before my current job found me. Other than not having any money, it was great. Really makes you appreciate what is important.

Not that I *suggest* that, but if you can somehow swing it, it might help improve your perspective.

It's not a permanent fix, tho, I'm starting to feel like I want a break again.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

As I mentioned earlier, I am pretty sure I burned out and haven't really recovered.

The workload at my current job has increased dramatically and I am starting to feel that familiar feeling of anxiety, and am wondering if people have any tips for coping. It's worse this time around because the work is far less interesting than before - it's hard for me to stay focused.

Best case scenario (if I keep studying and pass my CCNA) I can YOTJ in 3 or 4 months, but that's a long shot that's only getting longer the more downtrodden I feel.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

Bugamol posted:

What options do I have in California trying to get rid of a 2003 Ford Focus with ~100k miles on it. It needs new tires, brakes, the check engine light is on, and it recently died on me while driving on the freeway (battery light issue). The thing is only worth about ~$2,000-$3,000 in working condition and we don't need two cars so I'd rather just get rid of it, but not sure what my options are with the check engine light on.

Anyone know if it can be sold as a PNO to a scrap yard or something? Can I donate it with the check engine light on and just write it off? Any suggestions? Tried Googling it and the answers were mixed and matched so figured if anyone had gone through this before maybe they could shed some light.

Where in California? Is it a hatchback with a manual transmission? I live in Oregon and have been looking for something smaller than my current old man sedan daily driver.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

Making it somewhat hard to switch between work and personal desks was a huge improvement in my life. I have my work desk facing out of a little corner so the camera only captures the wall and window behind me - it’s a nice little thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

buglord posted:

This is dumb I have to ask this, but it’s a dumb country. Is there some primer or know your patient rights/insurance stuff, or is that all too broad because each state is different and so is each insurance plan? I probably should have gone to the hospital when I had really bad chest pain a month ago, but I wouldn’t be lying if I said insurance trickery make me think twice about going, and I wasn’t sure if I could go in and say “rule out a heart attack so I can go home and task aspirin for thirty cents a pill and not $80”

I used to work in the healthcare industry, in a couple different sections. In short, the answer to your question is “lol”.