Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

Right around Spill.com underwent a huge reduction back in May of last year, Chris "Cyrus" Cox founded One of Us: another geek podcast site in the podcast mecca known as Austin, Texas. One of Us features many former contributors to Spill.com, and you might even recognize a few voices from The League of Extremely Ordinary Gentlemen! One of Us is a site dedicated to all things geek: from movies to table top games to even sports. Here's the current regular lineup:

Formerly Remote Viewing on Spill.com, Digital Noise is a DVD/Blu-Ray review podcast hosted by Chris Cox and Bryan Salisbury.

Let it never be said that sports and geek culture are like oil and water: sports fans and geeks are one in the same and this podcast is a celebration of both cultures. Hosted by Brian Salisbury, J.C. Deleon, & Elliott Fontenette, ITL is an atypical sports podcast as it reguarly hosts a March Madness-style competition for the best film in a given genre called "The ITL Movie Elimination Tourtament". Genres vary from best Christmas Movie to best Die Hard ripoff. YEAH JEETS!

The successor of Spill.com's "The League of Extremely Ordinary Gentlemen" podcast, The Original Gentlemen is a semi-regular podcast hosted by Chris Cox, Martin "Leon" Thomas, Beau Paul, and new member Caitlin Turner. The podcast is very much in the style of the LEOG as it's a podcast on all things geek from TV shows to comics and movies in an unstructured discussion style. EDIT: the podcast is now posting bi-monthly!

Hosted by a rotating cast of crew, The Unusual Suspects do weekly film reviews.

Infestation is One of Us' official convention and convention coverage series. Here you'll find coverage of various cons and interviews from geek icons and celebrities alike.

Similar to RiffTrax, the crew of One of Us provides comedy commentaries to popular films for the low price of $1.99 a pop!

A new addition to One Of Us, the "World of UsCast" is an exclusively showcase of international podcasts. So far there are two:

The Wayward Podcast is a Japan-centric podcast hosted by a pair of ex-pats Americans--Sara and Kotaku writer Toshi. Topics include Supernatural, culture shock, and Japanese geekery. It's my personal favorite since episodes 9 and 10 feature special guests who've worked as English teachers in the Japanese education system.

The British Bodcast is, likewise, a British-centric podcast hosted by a trio of English geeks. Topics include Doctor Who, movies, sports, and everything in between.

Jean-Pierre Desperois was a Haitian slave born with the ability to travel through time and space. It's now 1931 Tunis and he's a salt smuggler, implicated in a string of vicious murders and on the run from the law while trying depserately to prove his innocence. "Salt" is a radio drama which updates bi-monthly only on the One of Us podcast network.

UPDATE: Lounge Geeks is now a member of the One of Us family! Catch your favorite Lounge Geeks shows such as Five and Out, Geeks @ College, and Public Axis exclusively on the One of Us podcast network!

Subscribe on Itunes and become a paid subscriber! For as little as $2 a month, you can help support this excellent podcast site and its crew! Just go on oneofus.net and click on the PayPal subscribe button!

NOTE: Yes, Cyrus and Leon are regular contributors but they're known by their real-world names: Chris and Martin, respectively.

Benny the Snake fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Sep 6, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I have no real problems with their content, although the guy on ITL who keeps mentioning Pacific Rim gets annoying when he does that constantly.

also Brian's flaming irrational hatred for LeBron is amusing.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

FlamingLiberal posted:

I have no real problems with their content, although the guy on ITL who keeps mentioning Pacific Rim gets annoying when he does that constantly.

also Brian's flaming irrational hatred for LeBron is amusing.
You mean Eliot the lawyer? The guy apparently does a regular blog on anime, too. Figures :v:

Edit: Here's the first post.

Benny the Snake fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Mar 14, 2014

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Yeah that's the guy

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
Big One Of Us news I've neglected to mention. The Original Gentlemen is now posting every other week! The Inside The Locker sports movie tournament is now live! And finally, enjoy two free Watch a Movie With Us commentaries: RIPD and Grown Ups 2! Die Hard 5 should be posted in the near future, as all three films were voted as the worst movies of 2013 by OneOfUs.net members.

Benny the Snake fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Apr 20, 2014

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
Since I had a tonne of final designs to work on I decided to listen to most of the One of Us catalogue, a lot of it I enjoyed, some of it though might be wasted on me. I really enjoy ITL and The Original Gentlemen and occasionally listen to The Diecast when I need to focus on something but still want some background noise. I'm wondering though what is Digital Noise and Infestation like? I'm guessing Digital Noise is similar to the Bluray and DVD reviews Chris and Brian did for Spill, but Infestation kinda puts me off with the idea of interviews being really hit or miss.

Also One of Us have released a list of their incentive packages for all paying members, which seems to be working out for them and listed it on the site:

The Red Shirts are $2 a month, Brown Coats are $5 a month, Time Lords are $10 a month and Jedis are $25 a month. I'm just wondering is how much content do you guys think can be held behind a pay-wall, seeing as they already charge for their film commentary segment Watch a Movie with Us? Seeing as RageSelect.com have their Patreon scheme, where they release three videos a week to Patrons and Korey and Martin will have Kickstarter and Paypal exclusive stuff for DoubleToasted.com, I feel that there is almost too much stuff locked out by One of Us.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Digital Noise is pretty much identical to the show they had on Spill.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
In news that might shock and alarm people, it seems that Lounge Geeks are shutting down their website and moving their content (and a few staff) to One of Us. This means there will be five new shows making their way to the website which will hopefully liven up things. Here is the list as follows:

Grant Davis posted:

5 and Out
Everybody loves lists! Each week on Five & Out we count down a unique top 5 from the world of movies, TV, and video games. Wes and Steve will debate, argue, and ridicule each other as they discuss the top news stories of the week, what they are watching/playing, and of course a new top 5 every Monday on Five & Out.

Public Axis
Comedia A Go-Go (a comedy collective from San Antonio) host a hilarious weekly round table podcast with guest comedians, filmmakers and various artists. Pulling discussion from their collective love of movies, video games, science news and nostalgia, every episode is packed with big laughs and fresh insight. Public Axis delivers bold, brash and unfiltered fun that promises to touch your topics inappropriately.

Geeks at College
Geeks@College is a tag-team of young, knowledgeable, talented and borderline-insane fellas currently attending the Savannah College of Art and Design. These goofy bunch of art-student nerds dedicate themselves to bringing you the newest geeky news, giving you a behind-the-scenes at their courses of study (film, comics, animation, and more), and helping you get involved in the creation of their own geeky obsessions.

Heavy Meta
History and philosophy aren’t just for pony-tailed grad students anymore! In Heavy Meta, Vince Smith (writer/podcaster at The Rogues’ Gallery and accredited singularity of useless minutia) surgically deconstructs the trends in the geeky media you love. Everything from storytelling tropes and trends, to the portrayal of characters and social issues go under the knife in this blog series, chronicling where we’ve been and where we’re going in areas like video games, movies, and comics, and TV.

Spinoff Showdown
Welcome to Spinoff Showdown, a series where we take characters from two shows and pit them up against each other to see who would have a better spin off using the same scenario.

Here is a link to the post from Lounge Geeks: http://www.loungegeeks.com/2014/07/lounge-geeks-is-moving-to-oneofus-net/

I never went on their site, so I'm not sure if I should be excited about the news. At the same time though, here's hoping they can work well with the guys at One Of Us and it doesn't become too chaotic with all these shows clashing.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Well they did need new content badly besides whatever they're doing with World of Us or whatever that's called.

However I've never listened to these guys so I have no idea if they're good or not.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
So have they cancelled their film reviews? There hasn't been a new film review for a few weeks now.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011

Benny the Snake posted:

So have they cancelled their film reviews? There hasn't been a new film review for a few weeks now.

No, they've just haven't had much to review. I think the gauge their audiences interests and go from there. I also think there was a lack of new releases this week, so that might also have affected things.

So how is everyone finding the new content? I'm enjoying Five & Out, caught a bit of Geeks @ College (mixed feelings on it, plus they need to stop eating during podcasts) and I'm glad The Die Cast returned.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
Now what's going on with The Original Gentlemen? There hasn't been an episode since August.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I don't get the excuse of not having movies to review, when Korey (and Martin who's also a Last Gentlemen) have never missed a week of reviewing movies, even if they were completely lovely.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
According to Brian, The Original Gentlemen was to be released once every two weeks (fortnightly or however you say it). This however got sidetracked by a tonne of film festivals, some of which they covered (Infestation) and others they merely attended.

The site has kinda weigned on content recently, not only with film reviews. The fact that Korey and Martin can cover 3+ movies a week versus a team of 4-5 reviewers who seem to be struggling to get out two reviews a week is kinda shocking.

Hopefully they'll have a three part Blue Christmas episode to make up for it.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Ironically the site has become more of a sports site in audio content, something I wouldn't imagine if you told me two years ago Korey and Chris made their own site.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I can never figure out what they are doing over there. Wasn't the original reason after those shows got cancelled from Spill for starting the site to do OG more often? They've never really stuck to that.

Also Jason from RageSelect announced this weekend he is basically leaving that site, except for the occasional video or podcast.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
Yeah, Jason basically was burned out from work and needed a break to work on his writing and other projects, but he'll be back every once in a while.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Am I misunderstanding Patreon or do they seriously get almost 750 a video?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I think that's per month

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

FlamingLiberal posted:

I think that's per month

But I've seen other Patreon and they say per month, theirs say per video.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I doubt it's per video, that seems incredibly high. I swear they also explained early on that the number was not per video.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

They seriously need to stop putting Elliot in any more film reviews. He doesn't seem to understand how films work. It's embarrassing.

Meanwhile we still don't have any more episodes of the Original Gentlemen.

bowser
Apr 7, 2007

The one thing I wanted from One of Us was a LEOG-style show, preferably with some of the actual LEOG regulars...the shows they do put out just don't appeal to me at all.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

That was supposedly the original reason for making the site, since Spill cancelled both the LEOG and Remote Viewing. But now it seems like most of the content is being done by talent that came in later, or who came over from that other site a few months ago.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
I seem to recall that in a review a week or so ago that Chris had said that they were going to get back to The Original Gentlemen stuff soon enough. They are currently doing a daily news show for subscribers only which is hosted by Brian and Chris. I haven't gotten to hear it yet so I'm not sure how good it is.

Speaking of daily content, it looks like Double Toasted started their own daily news podcast with Korey and Tommy, since Soundcloud have started paying out on their audio recordings, they felt they should release more content. They hope to cover only 2-3 segments each day as not to tire their audience.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

That's the same thing they've been saying the last few months.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
There's going to be Hell to pay if they don't do the Blue Christmas special or the best of / worst of list.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I'm not sure I want more Double toasted podcasts, they already have like 4 per week not including the news one.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
The daily stuff is only supposed to be 30 minutes, the main ones will try to remain at 2:30-3 hours. Korey said that he wanted to keep things tight, only 2-3 people on a podcast, not over-saturate their audience etc.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
Sorry to bump a practically dead thread, but here it goes:

In news that probably shouldn't shock anyone, but still surprised me, THE ORIGINAL GENTLEMEN will now be released every two weeks as part of OneofUs.net's monthly subscription thing to all Brown Coats ($5 a month) and above. This coupled with the Breakfast Pub, Brian and Chris' podcast which was previously daily but now weekly will see the site getting more classic content. In my opinion, it's probably the right choice to charge for that content, but not to exclude the people who can only afford the Red shirt plan ($2 a month). It also sounds like things are getting tougher to manage, what with peoples changing schedules and costs.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

But I guess the first episode is free then? It downloaded for me the other day.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Ugh, the podcast is a paid thing? Is that really what I'm reading here?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

'Hey guys, we didn't do this podcast for 4 months, but now you can (maybe) get it biweekly for $5'

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012
It saddens me that the only former Spill guys I really care about anymore is RageSelect, mostly because Jason being on less videos has made them at a lot easier to stomach.

DoubleToasted and One Of Us just aren't the same...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
Answering these questions as they come up:

Yeah, the first episode was really just to announce their best of the year and then about the Subscription stuff.

Sadly it seems like as the website becomes more popular and people get busier, some things have to be moved around. Hence why the Breakfast Pub went from a daily half hour show to a weekly show.

That was kinda a gut punch for me too, though I remember Brian complaining before about editing 4 hours of audio last year for their farewell stuff from Spill. The fact that Martin has a new job and is with Korey for DoubleToasted.com means scheduling issues.

I miss Jason, but it has allowed for more diversity and energy in their videos. I'd happily chuck Rageselect a few bucks a month for their extra content on Patreon.

• Locked thread