Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Zorak posted:

I'm still somewhat annoyed that no one has put any subs on the BD release of the first season. Unless I'm just missing it.

Unless I'm missing something, there's like three different versions of the BD release with subs up on NyaaTorrents.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Zorak posted:

I'm still somewhat annoyed that no one has put any subs on the BD release of the first season. Unless I'm just missing it.

I think the BD's themselves had their own official English subs so there's no real reason for the fansubbers to do it.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Allarion posted:

I think the BD's themselves had their own official English subs so there's no real reason for the fansubbers to do it.

They're pretty engrishy from what I understand.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Kanos posted:

Eagerly awaiting the return of [gg]'s subs and the endless arguments over them.

Sadly it doesn't look like this is to be.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

I might cry.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

And nothing of value was lost

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Sakurazuka posted:

Unless I'm missing something, there's like three different versions of the BD release with subs up on NyaaTorrents.

The straight BD rip subs are pretty bad, hence why I was hoping someone would have just stuck the MDD subs on or something. It's not like it's particularly hard to do so.

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

If people are interested, I could try my hand at switching the subs on the BD release. I don't really like the subs for the BD either, but I always figured there wasn't really much of a point to putting the effort in if I was the only person who really cared.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Buddy Waters retimed their subs for the BD version, you can get them here.

Edit: link removed due to the show getting picked up by Crunchyroll

Suaimhneas fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Apr 3, 2014

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Kind of hope the MMM guys reunite for this. I loved their subs for the first season.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

OWLS! posted:

Kind of hope the MMM guys reunite for this. I loved their subs for the first season.

It's been confirmed that they're returning. The tokusatsu sub group Over-Time, who was a part of MMM, said so in a news post a month ago.

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Waffleman_ posted:

It's been confirmed that they're returning. The tokusatsu sub group Over-Time, who was a part of MMM, said so in a news post a month ago.

Best. News. Ever.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

boredsatellite posted:

And nothing of value was lost

I have never been able to understand why people feel so damned strongly about subs. If there are other options to choose from, it's not like you're being railroaded into the "everyone talks funny" version.

Not trying to single you out or anything, I just remember GG getting a ton of flack for their JoJo subs. Seemed a kinda stupid effort, considering their antics with other shows.

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
So, I've never experienced anything Jojos before, beyond random screepcaps and such. I just gave the first series the 3 episode test. Consider me on board this train til the end.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

ManSedan posted:

So, I've never experienced anything Jojos before, beyond random screepcaps and such. I just gave the first series the 3 episode test. Consider me on board this train til the end.

Good.

Now get out of this thread and don't come back until you're caught up. JoJo is too good to risk getting spoiled.

e: I know we're not allowed to say things yet but honestly that doesn't always get obeyed and part 3 starts SO SOON yessss

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Shinjobi posted:

I have never been able to understand why people feel so damned strongly about subs. If there are other options to choose from, it's not like you're being railroaded into the "everyone talks funny" version.

Not trying to single you out or anything, I just remember GG getting a ton of flack for their JoJo subs. Seemed a kinda stupid effort, considering their antics with other shows.

Arguing about sub groups is a silly thing in general, but even I thought after a while that GG's subs were getting to be stupid. JoJo is already a goofy series on its own, it doesn't need help unless you're gonna actually be funny or just make a straight up gag sub (Which is what Duwang was anyways). Just because an alternative exists does not mean you can't discuss why one thing is bad, no matter how silly the subject is.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Shinjobi posted:

gg has always gotten poo poo for their subs because they're one of the only subgroups who make an effort to naturalize dialog for English rather than doing a direct translation and kludging it into English grammar patterns in as few steps as possible, which has pissed off a lot of people for them being "innacurate." There was a blog some years back that unpacked this using their bakemonogatari sub's as an example, where Senjougahara insults Araragi with a Japanese phrase that basically means "a man who is only not a virgin because he has hired a prostitute," that gg translated as something like "virgin in spirit" and most other subgroups translated as some comically wordy hyphenated clusterfuck that sounded utterly incomprehensible. (Guess which one a lot of fans insisted was the "better" version.)

Their JoJo subs pissed off people because they translated a lot of the dialog to be more grandiose and slangy than the "authentic" Japanese, with some phonetic accents on the English characters, the most obvious example being that when Kars asked Joseph if using a volcano as a mass driver to launch him into space was all part of the plan, the gg dialog is a lot more emphatic and over the top about how nobody fucks with Joseph Joestar. Personally, on a subjective note, I feel gg's changes were perfectly in spirit with JJBA as a whole and anyone who whined about the changes can suck it.

FortMax
Mar 22, 2013

The Bunny Hat

Zorak posted:

The straight BD rip subs are pretty bad, hence why I was hoping someone would have just stuck the MDD subs on or something. It's not like it's particularly hard to do so.

We're (well, by "we", I mean "Jeeg, Kilowog, and Champstice", my part ended when I got the Bunny Hat batch out) are working on BD versions for the first season, with a fresh round of QC, and getting the typesetting cleaned up on Part 1. And there will be patches for those who already have the Bunny Hat release.

And yeah, MMM is doing Stardust Crusaders unless Crunchy picks it up.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

mr. stefan posted:

gg has always gotten poo poo for their subs because they're one of the only subgroups who make an effort to naturalize dialog for English rather than doing a direct translation and kludging it into English grammar patterns in as few steps as possible, which has pissed off a lot of people for them being "innacurate." There was a blog some years back that unpacked this using their bakemonogatari sub's as an example, where Senjougahara insults Araragi with a Japanese phrase that basically means "a man who is only not a virgin because he has hired a prostitute," that gg translated as something like "virgin in spirit" and most other subgroups translated as some comically wordy hyphenated clusterfuck that sounded utterly incomprehensible. (Guess which one a lot of fans insisted was the "better" version.)

Their JoJo subs pissed off people because they translated a lot of the dialog to be more grandiose and slangy than the "authentic" Japanese, with some phonetic accents on the English characters, the most obvious example being that when Kars asked Joseph if using a volcano as a mass driver to launch him into space was all part of the plan, the gg dialog is a lot more emphatic and over the top about how nobody fucks with Joseph Joestar. Personally, on a subjective note, I feel gg's changes were perfectly in spirit with JJBA as a whole and anyone who whined about the changes can suck it.

Yeah, I tend to agree. I just don't understand why anyone gets pissy about subs they'll never use. If you're not going to use gg subs, great. Leave it at that and move. Sitting around online bitching about poo poo you'll never use is pretty much the #1 sign that you're reaching maximum overgoon. I know, it's the internet, but it's still so damned childish it always surprises me.

Anywho, I'm pretty excited for this. More Joseph = more excitement, the end. He's easily my favorite Joestar.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

FortMax posted:

We're (well, by "we", I mean "Jeeg, Kilowog, and Champstice", my part ended when I got the Bunny Hat batch out) are working on BD versions for the first season, with a fresh round of QC, and getting the typesetting cleaned up on Part 1. And there will be patches for those who already have the Bunny Hat release.

Is there a particular reason it's taking so long when it's literally as hard as using the Shift Time tool 130 times?

:twisted: maybe I'll just do it myself

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

mr. stefan posted:

There's a difference between localization and what GG did with JoJo's, though. Rather than naturalizing the dialogue, they changed it to be as comically British as possible in part one and made nearly all of the dialogue alliteration. It's entertaining, sure, but it's more of GG's just having fun than an actual localization of the original show's intent.
Personally, I've got nothing against GG as a whole and use their subs occasionally, but I don't find that their JJBA efforts fit with the show itself at all. It's a different kind of over the top.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

I dunno I just find the charm in Jojo is that they say all the dialogue in sincere seriousness in absurd situations without resorting to some silly language. Which is why I disliked gg subs really.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

boredsatellite posted:

I dunno I just find the charm in Jojo is that they say all the dialogue in sincere seriousness in absurd situations without resorting to some silly language. Which is why I disliked gg subs really.

Same.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

Zorak posted:

Is there a particular reason it's taking so long when it's literally as hard as using the Shift Time tool 130 times?

:twisted: maybe I'll just do it myself

That's what we told the group's leader, but he kept claiming it was some form of incomprehensible fansubbing rocket science. :v:

Anyways, the typesetting for Part 1 had to be redone, the v2 scripts are done up to episode 14. Perhaps we can get a Part 1 batch out before SC.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
It's stupid but it made me laugh every time gg subbed the countdown of JoJo's rings melting as "Time Till Marital Disillusionment".

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Ignis posted:

That's what we told the group's leader, but he kept claiming it was some form of incomprehensible fansubbing rocket science. :v:

Anyways, the typesetting for Part 1 had to be redone, the v2 scripts are done up to episode 14. Perhaps we can get a Part 1 batch out before SC.

Well I was able to redo the first episode's timing to the BDs in like 15 minutes, so if y'all need help actually getting work done I can probably retime whatever you lot have left in an evening or two. It is pretty trivial, frankly.

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

CJ posted:

It's stupid but it made me laugh every time gg subbed the countdown of JoJo's rings melting as "Time Till Marital Disillusionment".
I was partial to the Wise Words of Wham ("Time is of the essence, but now your essence is the timer")

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
GG had a lot of typos and bad grammar strewn in with all the hilarious changes; I think they're by far the best subs for anyone who isn't a JoJo purist but the poor editing drags them down a lot, to the point where I edited them myself when I got a friend into it. Never posted them anywhere else, though, since that struck me as kind of a gross thing to do to someone else's subs publicly.

HMS Boromir fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Mar 31, 2014

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Rest assured 0 people in gg would care if you posted those subs.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

John Cena posted:

They're pretty engrishy from what I understand.

No, they're fine. They're how I watched it at first. The reach big issue is that any instance of I, DIO was replaced with "me"

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Pomp posted:

No, they're fine. They're how I watched it at first. The reach big issue is that any instance of I, DIO was replaced with "me"

That and it has a few typos and it bugs me that every time someone says "Suzie Q" it pops up as "Suzie Quatro" but otherwise it's pretty solid.

free Trapt CD
Aug 22, 2013

*~:coffeepal:~*
I've got plenty of java
and Chesterfield Kings

*~:h:~*
Very, very excited for this! Did DUWANG ever finish the first series? It would be a shame if they didn't get to, you know, (Part 4 spoiler) a beautiful DUWANG. (Presuming we get there eventually.)

aers
Feb 15, 2012

http://www.crunchyroll.com/forumtopic-844535/new-spring-titles-jojos-bizzare-adventure

This appears to be parts 1/2 and not 3, although they don't really say anything outright. I'd say its a decent sign they get part 3, though.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

aers posted:

http://www.crunchyroll.com/forumtopic-844535/new-spring-titles-jojos-bizzare-adventure

This appears to be parts 1/2 and not 3, although they don't really say anything outright. I'd say its a decent sign they get part 3, though.

April 1st.

Stall_19
Jan 2, 2013

Prodigy of Victor von Doom
Yeah, it's national 'don't believe anything day'. Besides I doubt they would announce that a midnight.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Pomp posted:

April 1st.

I thought about that but this isn't exactly a far fetched announcement. We'll see.

FortMax
Mar 22, 2013

The Bunny Hat
It's real. (which also means MMM will not be sunning season 2)

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

FortMax posted:

It's real. (which also means MMM will not be sunning season 2)

"You thought this was fake, but it is me, Jojo on Crunchyroll!"

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Maybe they're trying to pull a gmail where they announce something that sounds fake on apr 1 BUT THEN IT'S REAL.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

It seems legit. They have been announcing two new titles to their spring lineup each day since the 30th. I just doubt we'll see Stardust Crusaders simulcast.

• Locked thread