Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Ville Valo posted:

Anyone have a recommendation for a safety course, and what I'd need to bring? I live in Lakewood but work down in Irvine, so anything along the 405 in OC would be ideal.

I did mine like 5 years ago so I dunno if it's changed but:

Just find the CMSP class location most convenient for you and sign up http://cmsp.msi5.com/mapping/ . My local instructors were super cool and wanted to help me pass. They were great teachers as well - I had never so much as sat on a motorcycle before.

Wear long pants/sleeves, a comfortable set of Mechanix or similar gloves (not your dads stiff leather gardening gloves) and some kind of boot that covers your ankles. They will provide you a helmet, but honestly if you're serious about wanting to ride you might as well go to a store and have the salesperson help fit you for a basic full-face HJC etc and just bring your own. You'll end up buying it anyway and loaner helmets are kinda gross.

Other than that just bring a bunch of water + a Gatorade for the riding days because parking lots in socal are hot as gently caress (I did my course in august). If there's no fast food nearby bring lunch too.

It's super fun and chill so just go have fun and don't stress any of the drills because everyone fucks up the fig8... I'd probably screw it up if I tried it tomorrow :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Hobolicious posted:

It needs to stop raining so much. Why the gently caress is it raining every day in SoCal?

Pretty sure they covered that in Genesis.

belt
May 12, 2001

by Nyc_Tattoo

BlackMK4 posted:

I took the class last year on a Monday at Adam's. There were six of us and we didn't end up sharing the track with the karts so it was endless riding time. My first time on a non-supersport so it took a while to get used to the bikes but I learned more in that day of riding than a full season of normal trackdays - the way the bike lets you push the front end around, the rear hammering when you're trying to carry too much corner speed, and the whole bike just moving around through the big sweeper is really interesting. The owner was cool as poo poo and I had a great time. I'm considering going again with a guy I work with who hasn't ridden a bike in a long time.

Awesome, thanks. Think I'm going to sign up for one or both of those courses.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
I'm switching jobs so I'm using the upcoming Long Beach-to-Venice Beach work commute as an excuse to finally get my motorcycle license. I've already signed up to take classes from May 12th to the 14th, so I'm looking forward to that!

I'm in a bit of a bind, though. I start my new job on the 16th, which means I won't have a chance to visit the DMV immediately after taking the class. And thanks to the fact that no DMV has weekend hours, unless my boss is cool about me leaving early one day within the first couple of weeks of work, I might not get a chance to hit up the DMV for a couple of months after I've taken the class. Is it possible to take the written test sometime in the next two weeks of unemployment, then take the class, then somehow submit everything to the DMV to get the motorcycle license? I want to take care of as much of this stuff as I can while I have the free time.

Hobolicious
Oct 7, 2012

The military might of a country represents its national strength. Only when it builds up its military might in every way can it develop into a thriving country.
You're probably gonna need to take the class before doing anything else. Hopefully your boss will be understanding and let you go early one day. DMV in my experience is not very helpful, so it's better just to do everything at once. If you make an appointment with them though, it can be a lot faster, maybe you can just take a long lunch one day and still work most of the day.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

Hobolicious posted:

You're probably gonna need to take the class before doing anything else. Hopefully your boss will be understanding and let you go early one day. DMV in my experience is not very helpful, so it's better just to do everything at once. If you make an appointment with them though, it can be a lot faster, maybe you can just take a long lunch one day and still work most of the day.
Okay, that kinda sucks but my new boss seems pretty relaxed so there's a good chance I could make things work.

It's been so long since I've had to visit the DMV. When I'm booking an appointment, which option do you think I should select? The options are kinda ambiguous:

My initial instinct is to choose the "Return to take another written knowledge test" but that could imply that I've taken the written test before.

Edit: I got it straight from the horse's mouth: the "Apply for a California ID card, replacement or renewal of a California driver license" is the correct one to select when making an appointment for a written test

IAmKale fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Apr 29, 2016

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Take written test, get permit, start new job, set up an appointment to get license sorted out once you get the paperwork from the CMSP. It will take them a bit to ship you the stuff.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
So on a whim I schlepped over to the DMV yesterday morning and secured my M1 permit! I celebrated earlier today by hitting up the nearby Del Amo motorsports and picking up a helmet, jacket, shoes, and gloves. I tried not to cheap out too much, though I did splurge a bit on a nice Alpinestar perforated leather jacket that caught my eye.

Next up is the safety course starting Thursday. With any luck I'll pass everything with flying colors and then be able to upgrade my license to a Class M at the end of the month! I'm so excited :3:

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.
Head over to the gear thread and tell us what you got.

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer
What bike are you aiming to get? Might not want to wait too long after completing the course. If you don't follow up with seat time you'll forget a good chunk of stuff.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

Angryboot posted:

What bike are you aiming to get? Might not want to wait too long after completing the course. If you don't follow up with seat time you'll forget a good chunk of stuff.
That's the million dollar question right now. I'm definitely going for a cruiser, and I've been recommended Yamaha. Right now I'm considering picking up a used V Star 250 to get used to riding, then use it as a trade-in for a V Star 650 Custom. I know that 250cc is a very divisive engine size - I've had a lot of people tell me to skip it and just go for something 500cc+ because I'll quickly outgrow a 250cc. My reasoning for going with a used smaller cycle first is that I won't feel as bad about dropping it versus going all-in on a new, bigger bike.

And I've held off on getting a bike until now because I've never, ever ridden one before - I don't think I could get one back to my house :shobon:

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.
Get a Ninja 300 or a Ninjette, or anything but the bike you picked because you like the way it looks not the way it rides.

If you get a vstar the 250 is usually considered too small here, unless you're very tiny.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

Chichevache posted:

Get a Ninja 300 or a Ninjette, or anything but the bike you picked because you like the way it looks not the way it rides.
Are cruisers bad rides or something? Honestly I don't give a poo poo about the cosmetics of a bike. I'm just looking for something relatively safe and comfortable, and right now bikes that allow for a more upright sitting position are probably going to accommodate that.

I'm hoping I'll get a chance to try riding a sportsbike and a cruiser this weekend because honestly I have no frame of reference for any of this. I'm curious to see how much truth there is in anecdotes from family and friends.

IAmKale fucked around with this message at 18:25 on May 11, 2016

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer
250cc cruisers are seriously no fun if you have to go on the freeway and I (and everybody here) will recommend a ninja 250/300 over one of those. They're really standard bikes and have enough pep to do what you need, and are really easy to find for like 2k.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

IAmKale posted:

Are cruisers bad rides or something? Honestly I don't give a poo poo about the cosmetics of a bike. I'm just looking for something relatively safe and comfortable, and right now bikes that allow for a more upright sitting position are probably going to accommodate that.

I'm hoping I'll get a chance to try riding a sportsbike and a cruiser this weekend because honestly I have no frame of reference for any of this. I'm curious to see how much truth there is in anecdotes from family and friends.

Try to ride a few bikes at the course if you get a chance. Cruisers generally allow for less control and input since the forward placement of your feet allows for less "feel" and control of the bike. A lot of us (opinion!) find standards more comfortable than cruisers. Ninjas may look like what you would consider to be a sport bike, but by riding style standards they are actually considered a standard style bike. https://www.cycle-ergo.com will let you take a good look at each bike will be like to sit on.

Feel free to hit up the other threads as well. You'll be more likely to get answers from people with more experience and knowledge than me.

Hobolicious
Oct 7, 2012

The military might of a country represents its national strength. Only when it builds up its military might in every way can it develop into a thriving country.
I ride a Yamaha V Star 1100 Classic, and I love it. But definitely try out other bikes before buying, I bought this as my first and haven't looked back, but I prefer the cruiser style to sportsbikes. It's mostly a personal preference. You'll definitely want more cc's on a cruiser though. Don't worry so much about dropping a bike, the course should give you enough skill to not do that except an extreme circumstance. As I've always heard. it's not if you have dropped it, it's how long till you do.

Hobolicious fucked around with this message at 21:22 on May 11, 2016

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

Whats up socal goons? LA goon here. Saw someone asking a bout courses, I just finished this: http://westsidemotorcycleacademy.com/

I learned a lot, the instructors were informative and were not afraid to let someone know if they did stuff that might gently caress them up. I believe you can use your own bike if your bike is quiet enough, but they also have (lovely) bikes for the trainees to use. I'm actually going to get a scooter, but this was really helpful to me. It's 250, which isn't cheap, but the certificate you get allows you to skip having to take the practical at the DMV. Also I believe for more advanced classes, you get a discount if you've taken one of their classes before.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

MSF is life. I did my course with them and they were very nice folks.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

HogX posted:

Whats up socal goons? LA goon here. Saw someone asking a bout courses, I just finished this: http://westsidemotorcycleacademy.com/
I just passed this course today! :toot: Surprisingly I was one of only two people in our group of twelve who passed the practical riding exam. We were told the pass rate averaged 85% but drat, the instructors were actually willing to fail people who weren't ready.

Anyway, since I already have my permit the only to do now is wait for the DL389 to come in and then visit the DMV to get that sweet, sweet, M1 endorsement :woop:

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

IAmKale posted:

I just passed this course today! :toot: Surprisingly I was one of only two people in our group of twelve who passed the practical riding exam. We were told the pass rate averaged 85% but drat, the instructors were actually willing to fail people who weren't ready.

Anyway, since I already have my permit the only to do now is wait for the DL389 to come in and then visit the DMV to get that sweet, sweet, M1 endorsement :woop:

lmao, everyone in my class passed. I was sure I had hosed up the practical and failed but I did okay I guess. :v: Don't have my permit yet, so I'm waiting for the paper so I can just do it all at once at the DMV.

edit: I mean passed the class, not sure if you can gently caress up on the practical and still pass.

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Grats. Makes me wonder what group of muppets you got stuck in though. 10 failed and 2 passed isn't normal.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

Angryboot posted:

10 failed and 2 passed isn't normal.
On the first day (yesterday) one guy in our group auto-failed for not wearing proper boots (then went home and returned an hour later riding some crazy Kawasaki super sport as if to prove a point :wtc:), one chick dropped the bike on herself twice so she auto-failed, and a third person pulled herself out because she felt she needed some 1:1 instruction to get more comfortable with a regular bike (she already knew she'd be getting a Zero).

That just left the nine of us today. The other guy who passed had been riding for 20+ years but only now decided to get his license. He was pretty obviously experienced and it was no surprised he passed. As for the others, most everyone else in the group was too afraid of the throttle; many riders seemed almost too afraid to pop into second, let alone use the throttle once they got there. A couple of people who I thought for sure would pass ended up failing for not enough head-turning when handling corners and turns, and I think a bit more instability than the instructors preferred. It definitely wasn't for lack of trying.

Anyway yeah, it was a hell of an experience and I'd highly recommend it! I know I picked up a few skills that I wouldn't have on my own, and I feel like I've learned enough to get started on much safer footing than if I'd decided to try and figure out everything on my own.

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer
In my class we had this one woman that was kinda just there because of her boyfriend. She dropped the bike like 10 times in the 1st range session, couldn't get over it so she went and sat in the car. Didn't come back the 2nd day. Think she was the only one that failed in our batch.

You're gonna need seat time now. After a few k's I recommend taking other classes so you pick up more skills.

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

IAmKale posted:

On the first day (yesterday) one guy in our group auto-failed for not wearing proper boots (then went home and returned an hour later riding some crazy Kawasaki super sport as if to prove a point :wtc:), one chick dropped the bike on herself twice so she auto-failed, and a third person pulled herself out because she felt she needed some 1:1 instruction to get more comfortable with a regular bike (she already knew she'd be getting a Zero).

That just left the nine of us today. The other guy who passed had been riding for 20+ years but only now decided to get his license. He was pretty obviously experienced and it was no surprised he passed. As for the others, most everyone else in the group was too afraid of the throttle; many riders seemed almost too afraid to pop into second, let alone use the throttle once they got there. A couple of people who I thought for sure would pass ended up failing for not enough head-turning when handling corners and turns, and I think a bit more instability than the instructors preferred. It definitely wasn't for lack of trying.

Anyway yeah, it was a hell of an experience and I'd highly recommend it! I know I picked up a few skills that I wouldn't have on my own, and I feel like I've learned enough to get started on much safer footing than if I'd decided to try and figure out everything on my own.

Jesus. At least no one in my class dropped their bike. Head turning is hard to get used to though. Also not looking down at the cones when doing the swerving.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

In my class, one dude dumped his rebel, and I ran over his tank badge which popped my tire.

Everyone passed the practical though. The rebel dude dumped it because his boot caught and it freaked him out. Overall we had a pretty successful class, the instructors kept pushing the good riders to ride harder which was fun.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Everyone from my group passed. However, one lady showed up who had taken the test the previous week and failed; the deal we had was that you'd get one free retest if you failed the first time. She ran every activity agonizingly slowly and put her feet down several times, and ended up just walking away before she even got her score.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
I have the absolute worst impulse control so I ended up buying a CB300F yesterday. Now I have to wait until Monday to legally ride it because my insurance agent is closed on the weekends :qq:

And after calling Allstate this morning I found out that they can't give you a motorcycle insurance policy until one year from the date you received your permit/license (whichever comes first). Apparently local agents have more clout to generate a policy on your behalf with some other company, but I'll have to wait until Monday to find out. Oh well, it's not like I wanted to ride it or anything :suicide:

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

IAmKale posted:

I have the absolute worst impulse control so I ended up buying a CB300F yesterday. Now I have to wait until Monday to legally ride it because my insurance agent is closed on the weekends :qq:

And after calling Allstate this morning I found out that they can't give you a motorcycle insurance policy until one year from the date you received your permit/license (whichever comes first). Apparently local agents have more clout to generate a policy on your behalf with some other company, but I'll have to wait until Monday to find out. Oh well, it's not like I wanted to ride it or anything :suicide:

Most of the companies I called wouldn't insure someone without like 3 years riding exp. Progressive gave me insurance though. Finally got my scooter, and it rules :3:

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

HogX posted:

Most of the companies I called wouldn't insure someone without like 3 years riding exp. Progressive gave me insurance though. Finally got my scooter, and it rules :3:
Just out of curiosity, what kind of coverage (limits, etc...) did you buy, and how much did it cost you?

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

IAmKale posted:

Just out of curiosity, what kind of coverage (limits, etc...) did you buy, and how much did it cost you?

So I got 30k property/bodily injury 15k a person. Property damage liability 5k each accident. 500 deductible. Under/uninsured 15k each accident. 3k accessory. Made a payment of 275 for the year

Hobolicious
Oct 7, 2012

Yeah that's about what Progressive gave me as well. They're pretty reasonable.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Is there a SoCal rider forum like BARF? I'm trying to buy a Chuckwalla A or B group entry on Sept 9th or 16th. Both are sold out and I am on the waitlist, but still.

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer
There's socalmoto.org but that's about it. Nothing nearly as useful as barf here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Ah well, I picked up a spot for the 9th in A.

• Locked thread