Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

For those of you that don't live here, this is how we roll 350 days out of the year:

I feel like there's a good amount of CA goons in SoCal or the surrounding areas that mostly come out of the woodwork from time to time, now it's time for you to show yourselves :getin:

This could be more than a ride thread, but a work on bikes, talk poo poo about cell phone users or even discuss (SPORTS TEAM) thread.

So, who lives where?

Should include that I'm in El Segundo, right near LAX.

Frozen Pizza Party fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Mar 15, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gillingham
Nov 16, 2011
Posting in thread. Located in Pasadena but have only been riding for a month. and uh :words:

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
I live in Santa Monica. I love everything about this place.

Way2slow
Sep 14, 2007

Not a Miata!
Ventura Area here. Right near Malibu and the PCH, always some nice riding in that area.

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Another one in Pasadena here

My fiancee and I tend to zoom around gmr once a week or so.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I'm in Arizona but I make it out there once every couple of months to ride... speaking of which, it's almost time. Loved GMR last trip.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

I'm in San Diego. My hat bill is not flat. I don't ride much any more these days except back and forth to work though I'm trying to change that.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

I'm in Carlsabd and am a total anchorite. If anybody is up for Counter-Strike: Global Offensive, hit me up on Steam.

Oh and we can motorcycle too if you want

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I'm being a bad influence lately and one of my friends at work finally got himself a ninja 300 today. I'm heading to his place tomorrow with my sena set to bark orders at him and tell him how much he sucks every time he even thinks about touching the brakes.

Especially since that bastard lives down the street from gmr. Bastard.

astropika
Jul 5, 2007
no, not really
I'm in Northridge, moved here about 6 months ago from Dallas (immediately before all the Dallas riders started riding together, of course), I've been riding about a year.

EkardNT
Mar 31, 2011
I'm in Santa Ana myself, and the only reason I'm not posting my sexy, sexy Chinese scooter is so the rest of you don't feel inadequate.

Ditching that piece of junk for a real bike so hard once I graduate.

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!
Torrance, and my drat VFR died on me while I was out yesterday, while parked to make a cell phone call it wouldn't restart. I rolled it down a hill and bump started it up, got to my next destination and it started just fine there. Don't know what happened. I'm over this bike, I'm sure it's the regulator/rectifier again.

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer

astropika posted:

I'm in Northridge, moved here about 6 months ago from Dallas (immediately before all the Dallas riders started riding together, of course), I've been riding about a year.

I kinda miss Dallas; Moto Liberty has some good people running that store. I'm glad to be back in southern cal though.

Gonna have to check with my local shop tomorrow to assess the damage done to our zx6r from the hit-n-run. The tail is kinda skewed to the right. If we're lucky it's just the subframe...

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Pasadena as well :psyduck:

Flash that East Side if you see me hooning around:

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
^^^ I want your bike.

I'm in Pasadena, as well, just off Lake and California. I have a 2002 Honda F4i - it's trailer trash sexy and only has one good side, but I still love it.

I'd be down for some hanging out/riding and a simple maintenance day or two.

I also have a 2011 Ninja 250 that I don't ride anymore.

I think it rained two days this past winter, so for one of them I didn't ride.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Mar 18, 2014

Gillingham
Nov 16, 2011
I just spent way too much money on a rear rack mount and giant top case. Bring on the motocamping adventures

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Gillingham posted:

I just spent way too much money on a rear rack mount and giant top case. Bring on the motocamping adventures

When you lowside up in the Angeles Crests you can just spend the night. :eng101:

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
I live in the San Fernando Valley, but I'm moving to Pomona in a couple of months. I'll be doing the MSF (again) on Friday and will try to buy a bike by April.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Chichevache posted:

I live in the San Fernando Valley, but I'm moving to Pomona in a couple of months. I'll be doing the MSF (again) on Friday and will try to buy a bike by April.

What went wrong the first time? Or is this just a refresher for you?

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Drifter posted:

What went wrong the first time? Or is this just a refresher for you?

Nothing went wrong actually. I took the MSF five years ago but I didn't have the money for a bike at the time, so I never got my M1 certification. Even if I had the M1 I would be retaking the MSF though, since I want to be as up to date as possible on my training.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Chichevache posted:

Nothing went wrong actually. I took the MSF five years ago but I didn't have the money for a bike at the time, so I never got my M1 certification. Even if I had the M1 I would be retaking the MSF though, since I want to be as up to date as possible on my training.

Borrow a Sumo so you can plant your foot when you do the figure 8 box. If your instructor objects, flip 'em the bird. They'll be all "you know what, you raise a valid point," and then they'll give you your certs.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Drifter posted:

Borrow a Sumo so you can plant your foot when you do the figure 8 box. If your instructor objects, flip 'em the bird.

They supply the bikes. :smith: Can I still plant my foot on a Honda Rebel? If they complain I can point to the name on the bike and tell them to gently caress themselves.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I think I learned on a Rebel as well when I took the MSF. I had the damnedest time fitting my toes under the clutch so I could upshift. I blame the hiking boots I wore, but it's such a tiny bike to begin with. :shrug:

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Drifter posted:

I think I learned on a Rebel as well when I took the MSF. I had the damnedest time fitting my toes under the clutch so I could upshift. I blame the hiking boots I wore, but it's such a tiny bike to begin with. :shrug:

That happened to me the first time as well. I had on big work boots and I could barely shift at all. I'm getting gloves tomorrow, so if I see some good boots I might just say "gently caress it" and get them.

While I'm at it, does anyone have a good gear shop in the Los Angeles area? I'm willing to drive (what loving choice is there here?) a good ways to find a place, but I'd prefer a spot in the Valley.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
http://www.motorcyclegear.com/
I don't think I've ever been in a brick store except to buy my first helmet. Once I got my sizing I bought my second helmet online (the same type, though).

http://www.motorcyclegear.com/street/boots/sport_street_touring_boots/alpinestars/s_mx_2_motorcycle_boots.html
I love this boot. It's such a good one.

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Cyclegear on Vanowen between Canoga and Topanga is close enough to you I think.

Aside from that there's Bert's in covina. They do price match so even though their regular prices kinda suck you can still talk them down if you can show them an ad from any site with a smart phone.

Motorhelmets in Fullerton has a bunch of other stuff like bell, shark (I think), and sidi boots.

Then there's the dainese store in costa mesa. I think alpinestars has a parking lot sale in cerritos every now and then but I've never gone and looked.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Drifter posted:

http://www.motorcyclegear.com/
I don't think I've ever been in a brick store except to buy my first helmet. Once I got my sizing I bought my second helmet online (the same type, though).

http://www.motorcyclegear.com/street/boots/sport_street_touring_boots/alpinestars/s_mx_2_motorcycle_boots.html
I love this boot. It's such a good one.

I want to try stuff on before I buy it, just to make sure I like the feel.

Angryboot posted:

Aside from that there's Bert's in covina. They do price match so even though their regular prices kinda suck you can still talk them down if you can show them an ad from any site with a smart phone.

Motorhelmets in Fullerton has a bunch of other stuff like bell, shark (I think), and sidi boots.

Then there's the dainese store in costa mesa. I think alpinestars has a parking lot sale in cerritos every now and then but I've never gone and looked.

I was looking at that Cyclegear and it is probably where I will end up, but I also thought CA consensus was that the shops suck now and are focusing on selling cheap poo poo with very little variety. Thanks for the other recommendations though.

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer
On the one hand their store brands suck, on the other hand they do have a good warranty on their stuff in case they do break. If anything you can at least go in and find out what your sizes are with certain brands that they do carry.

If you're not on a shoe-string budget and fit Dainese stuff I really recommend taking the time and head down to the D-store in Costa Mesa to take a look. Older (2 year old) stuff go on clearance all the time before places like Revzilla would put them on sale. We've bought 2 race suits that way and saved a good amount.

Too bad we don't have a local RS Taichi dealer. That would make me happy as hell. And broke as hell too.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Angryboot posted:

On the one hand their store brands suck, on the other hand they do have a good warranty on their stuff in case they do break. If anything you can at least go in and find out what your sizes are with certain brands that they do carry.

If you're not on a shoe-string budget and fit Dainese stuff I really recommend taking the time and head down to the D-store in Costa Mesa to take a look. Older (2 year old) stuff go on clearance all the time before places like Revzilla would put them on sale. We've bought 2 race suits that way and saved a good amount.

Too bad we don't have a local RS Taichi dealer. That would make me happy as hell. And broke as hell too.

I am not on a tight budget when it comes to gear, I just hate driving a car anywhere near Los Angeles. I'm willing to drive for good stuff though.

*edit*

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaannnnd it is 70 miles. I'm just gonna buy gloves somewhere close to here, and when I get a helmet, jacket, pants, etc. I will make the pilgrimage to Dainese.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

For gear, I bought my helmet at the aforementioned Motorhelmets in Fullerton, my gloves at Berts, and my jacket at Temple City Motorsports. I bought my first helmet at Pasadena Yamaha, who are a great family-run shop and is where I get stuff done on my bike that is out of my skill-range. They have a resident little dog that was happily jumping up on bikes and riding them back into the shop when the guys were parking stuff inside for the night :3:

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Yeah driving around is a hassle for sure. Cycle gear is the first place I'd go to if I were you because they at least carry both A* and Dainese along with helmets from major manufacturers. After you nail down what fits you then you can branch out to more specialized places.

Either that or drag somebody along so you don't get as bored and make a trip out of it. Stop by places like the Hat and grab a pastrami sandwich on your way to Berts, etc.

Gillingham
Nov 16, 2011
Is berts that bad at pricing? I tried to find stuff online and most everything was already at the same price, then again I was shopping bottom tier stuff since I was starting from scratch

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Gillingham posted:

Is berts that bad at pricing? I tried to find stuff online and most everything was already at the same price, then again I was shopping bottom tier stuff since I was starting from scratch

Bert's is a dealership, I think they'd be around the upper end of prices, or at least above average. Go there, buy a pair of A* gloves that you like, and then fit your head for a Shoei RF1100, and then buy it here to save 300 bucks.
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/shoei-rf-1100-solid-helmet

Bottom tier stuff? I don't think you should necessarily worry about straight up Dianese/Vanson onesies either, but trying to get the cheapest stuff is a waste of money and safety.

If you're running atgatt then figure out how you want to do that (oversuits, or jacket and overpants, or dedicated riding outfits et al). I like overpants.

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Like I said before they do match prices as long as you can show them on your phone. Paying sales tax isn't a deal breaker for me either but that's entirely up to you.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Angryboot posted:

I ended up going to Wheels in Motion on De Soto. The selection of gear wasn't amazing, but I think the prices were.

I got Alpinestar SP1 gloves for $110.
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/alpinestars-sp-1-gloves

I also picked up Alpinestar SMX 6 boots for $210.
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/alpinestars-smx-6-boots

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Hoo, full gauntlets. Good man. I keep my gauntlets and calf boots for the track. The boots are a goddamned pain to walk any normal distance in.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Drifter posted:

Hoo, full gauntlets. Good man. I keep my gauntlets and calf boots for the track. The boots are a goddamned pain to walk any normal distance in.

A majority of my commuting will be to school, which has provided me with a locker since I'm off campus. I can just keep a pair of shoes in the locker and switch them when I arrive each morning, shouldn't be too bad.

My only complaint is that I could only get the gear in black. No Power Rangers for me. :smith:

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Yellow mesh jacket, and silver leather jacket.

:madmax:

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Oh yeah, forgot all about that place. I think a while ago they were running a sale on Dunlop Q2's but I've already gotten mine so I didn't bother checking them out again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Angryboot posted:

Oh yeah, forgot all about that place. I think a while ago they were running a sale on Dunlop Q2's but I've already gotten mine so I didn't bother checking them out again.

They were pretty cool and cheap too, so I'm considering them for future purchases.

• Locked thread