Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Drifter posted:

Hoo, full gauntlets. Good man. I keep my gauntlets and calf boots for the track. The boots are a goddamned pain to walk any normal distance in.

I've put on a few Track-Ready™ boots and I have to say that the smx-6 are the most comfortable of the bunch. Just as comfortable as my old Roam, maybe even more because the new one has goretex.

Yeah the sole doesn't flex as much but that's not really a problem imho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!
I've got a Givi top case on my bike, carries my casual shoes and folder and/or backpack to school. When I get there I swap my boots for the shoes on the spot and jam my leather jacket gloves and boots in the top case. It's awesome since my jacket is red with a speed hump and makes me look like a doofus when I have to walk around with it on.

I just carry the helmet, gotta let people know how cool I am. Either that or I'm too paranoid to leave it on the helmet latch.

Gillingham
Nov 16, 2011
Not sure if I should post here or the camping thread, what the hell is with all of the FCFS spots being closed until May/late April. Trying to go camping this weekend to something a bit different than my usual Joshua Tree. Everything near crystal lake, lake arrowhead, wrightwood, red box, whatever is all closed.

Where else can a man go without reservations? Gonna be 2 cars and a bike so some of the more off-road spots are probably a no go.

Only two FCFS options I've really found are Idllywild and up by Big Bear but not sure how great they are. Pictures are pretty terrible.

Gillingham fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Mar 20, 2014

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Gillingham posted:

Not sure if I should post here or the camping thread, what the hell is with all of the FCFS spots being closed until May/late April. Trying to go camping this weekend to something a bit different than my usual Joshua Tree. Everything near crystal lake, lake arrowhead, wrightwood, red box, whatever is all closed.

Where else can a man go without reservations? Gonna be 2 cars and a bike so some of the more off-road spots are probably a no go.

Only two FCFS options I've really found are Idllywild and up by Big Bear but not sure how great they are. Pictures are pretty terrible.

Because it's :airquote: WINTER :airquote: and the FS apparently hates revenue not generated by AdvPasses and cutting those bullshit $5 donation "tickets".

If you really want to have fun and get away, get some maps of BLM spreads in the area and go hog wild. I know your bike isn't super offroady, but it looks like it could handle a mild dirt road at low speed. gently caress camping in some little filthy square of dust next to someone else, go plot a road and learn to read topo and have an adventure. Sounds like you've got a few support vehicles too so you have nothing to worry about. BLM land is great - few rules unless you're hunting, rarely patrolled, and completely empty aside from a few weird desert freaks or hunters. A lot of it has more restricted vehicle access, but at least you can basecamp and do some hiking.

My buddy who knows every wilderness area between the Sierras and Baja always laughs at Joshua Tree. "Eight hundred thousand acres and 5000 people clustered around those goddamn rocks..."

The Royal Nonesuch fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Mar 21, 2014

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

March 29th 11a - 4p Del Amo Motorsports is having a stuntfest thing. Watch dudes drop their bikes, and perhaps do some tandem burnouts.

There will be food, music and terrible squiddery. I'll probably be going just to laugh at the amount of icon field armor present.

https://m.facebook.com/events/660536423987551/

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Throwing out a local interest check on my 2007 690 SM pictured previously in the thread. I've got a wild hair up my rear end, and if anyone's really interested bring me $5,000 and it's yours. I just had the 12k valve adjustments done along with an oil change, it's never been crashed, new tires late last year. I have paperwork for it's whole life/KTM briefcase, etc.

:w00t:

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer
What are you getting this time?

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Drifter posted:

Borrow a Sumo so you can plant your foot when you do the figure 8 box. If your instructor objects, flip 'em the bird. They'll be all "you know what, you raise a valid point," and then they'll give you your certs.

I just started this morning. They've got me on a Suzuki dr200. :cool:

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Angryboot posted:

What are you getting this time?

A different 690, assuming I sell mine :getin:

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

A different 690, assuming I sell mine :getin:

:smug: :respek: :getin:

Gillingham
Nov 16, 2011
Is there a decent place to get womens gear locally? Girlfriends fairly small at 5'3" so when I was at Berts looking for my gear she tried on some stuff, but a lot of it was way out of the price range or way to big.

Ideally somewhere cheap as I'm likely stuck buying most of the gear if I want her to ride with me, we already have a helmet but I would like to be able to safely take her on longer trips etc, which should mean we get her gear too.
I'm not opposed to buying online, sizing is my major concern there.

I would definitely like to pay under $300-400 for the set of gear.

Been checking advrider for used womens gear but that's mostly useless, is there a one stop shop for used gear?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
In order to get good fitting women's gear you pretty much have to pay the premium :(

Sometimes you can get lucky on CL/ebay for small sizes though. CL preferred because women are all different shapes, so a "medium" in one brand may be totally wrong.

Gillingham
Nov 16, 2011
That's what I was scared of, no motocamping trips together for awhile

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Gillingham posted:

Is there a decent place to get womens gear locally? Girlfriends fairly small at 5'3" so when I was at Berts looking for my gear she tried on some stuff, but a lot of it was way out of the price range or way to big.

Ideally somewhere cheap as I'm likely stuck buying most of the gear if I want her to ride with me, we already have a helmet but I would like to be able to safely take her on longer trips etc, which should mean we get her gear too.
I'm not opposed to buying online, sizing is my major concern there.

I would definitely like to pay under $300-400 for the set of gear.

Been checking advrider for used womens gear but that's mostly useless, is there a one stop shop for used gear?

The woman who taught my MSF said she just uses CL for all her gear, since guys buy it for their girls and then break up. I haven't looked personally, but she swore by it.

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Berts really doesn't have much for women's gear. I think Motohelmets in Fullerton has a bit more but in general women's gear are always harder to find. The Dainese store in Costa Mesa has most of the stuff you'll find on the factory site but they're not gonna be cheap; I think it's 2-300 at least for a textile jacket and at least 150 for pants.

If you have the time I'd still recommend taking a look there though and find out what size she fits, then ebay/craigslist for used stuff.

Gillingham
Nov 16, 2011
Anyone know a motorcycle injury attorney?

Girlfriends brother got taken out by some guy pulling into a driveway last week. Spent almost a week in the hospital with a broken leg, blood transfusion, bikes totaled, etc. Is interested in what his legal recourse is so wanted to see if anyone had recommendations. They're located out in Hacienda Heights but general LA area would be ok.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

I do, sending you a PM. He's my good friend's dad.

Double edit:
What kind of legal recourse are is he looking for, does he want the guy to go to jail or does he want to get a shitload of money from the guy's insurance (assuming he's not at fault).

Frozen Pizza Party fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Apr 5, 2014

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Is anybody interested to go for a track day or just to look around at the Autoclub Speedway in Fontana on the 26th? My wife and I might be chillin with the dude from feellikeapro.com in the paddock.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

I am definitely interested. You ever do a track day there? I've only ever been to Willow out here.

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Haven't been to this one yet, no. I don't mind doing it but fasttrack requires a class for first-timers with them and it's an extra 100 bucks plus regular track fee (I think), then another 300 for rental on top of that. Times 2 with my wife.

I think we're gonna sit on the sidelines this time; now that our wedding is done I wanna pay some bills down before screwing around more.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

Yeah, that's definitely pretty high. Ill have to read up on it a bit and see what people say.
Auto Club is so much closer than anywhere else so I definitely need to get there sooner or later.
At least I've got gear so no rental and the hundred might be worth it if they've got good reviews.

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer
From what I heard the track is very well taken care of. I'm only going the rental route because I don't want anything to happen to my rsv4 since a fairing panel alone is over 300 bucks and I don't really have any space to work on stuff in my apartment's car port.

After we move to a bigger place I'll be more active on tracking stuff. Unless kids happen...

Gillingham
Nov 16, 2011
Reposting for a friend

quote:

Brother in Law died. Left this. Just got through the legalities. All is good.
2006 Harley “883”
9945 mi., has almost $2000.00 in accessories. Vance & Hines pipes, S&S carb and filter, new battery, quick disconnect windshield, saddle bags, stock pipes & carb. $6000.00 obo

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Gillingham posted:

Reposting for a friend

So straightforward..

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Hey its going to get down to freezing in Georgia tonight. So gently caress you Socal people.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

It was only 57 this morning so I almost froze to death on the way to work. Summer can't get here soon enough.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
I had to turn on my heated vest on the way to work but was a little warm with it off on the way home. :sigh: riding motorcycles is hard!

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

Seriously. It's been chilly in the morning but up in the mid 70's during the afternoon. I don't have enough room to bring two separate sets of gear with me so I have to be slightly warmer than I'd like on the ride home. Why is my life so hard :(

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I've been having to switch to my leather jacket instead of the mesh one sometimes, it's been so not warm in the mornings. It's not actually annoying or anything, because I like them both, but it's a thing I have to do.

I could just put the liner in the mesh jacket, I suppose, but variety is the spice of life and all that.

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer
210 was a parking lot because 2 rigs collided this afternoon. Took me a whole 6 extra minutes to get home from work. LANE SPLITTING SUPREMACCCYYYYYY!!

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Angryboot posted:

210 was a parking lot because 2 rigs collided this afternoon. Took me a whole 6 extra minutes to get home from work. LANE SPLITTING SUPREMACCCYYYYYY!!

:ca: best state.

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer
WERA race is this Sunday in Fontana. My wife and I are gonna show up and chill with the feellikeapro guys in the paddock tomorrow during the open track day. Does anybody wanna go and nose around with us?

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Moving to this area in about a month, never in my life been to CA.

Going to be living around Temecula for the first year or so (wife going to school) and commuting over to Camp Pendleton every morning. How much of a hassle am I looking at on a bike doing this?

Also, I cannot loving wait to get there.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

That's kind of a haul but you basically only have to be on the 15.
Depending upon traffic you should be able to cruise at a nice 70-80mph for most of the ride.

EDIT: vvv I'm scared to speed much these days. My work has freakin push notification from the DMV if I get any points on my license. Seriously cuts down on my squid tendencies.
Ridiculousness.

Also, if you're living in the I.E. you should get some TapOut shirts and flat bill hats.

Bugdrvr fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Apr 28, 2014

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

You can always cruise at a nice 70-80 for the entire ride if you're ballsy enough :smug:

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Bugdrvr posted:

That's kind of a haul but you basically only have to be on the 15.
Depending upon traffic you should be able to cruise at a nice 70-80mph for most of the ride.

EDIT: vvv I'm scared to speed much these days. My work has freakin push notification from the DMV if I get any points on my license. Seriously cuts down on my squid tendencies.
Ridiculousness.

Also, if you're living in the I.E. you should get some TapOut shirts and flat bill hats.

Well, its either we live right next to base and I have a short commute while my wife has to commute to Temecula every morning, or I have the long commute and she has the short one.

In the end, I bitch a lot less about a commute.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Z3n posted:

You can always cruise at a nice 70-80 for the entire ride if you're ballsy enough :smug:

My entire commute is at 70-80. The DRZ can barely handle it. :sigh:

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Chichevache posted:

My entire commute is at 70-80. The DRZ can barely handle it. :sigh:

I was really considering a DRZ, but that commute I'm going to have kind of killed it.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

iwentdoodie posted:

I was really considering a DRZ, but that commute I'm going to have kind of killed it.

Just change yo sprockets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Coredump posted:

Just change yo sprockets.

What would that do for me?

• Locked thread