Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

Whats up socal goons? LA goon here. Saw someone asking a bout courses, I just finished this: http://westsidemotorcycleacademy.com/

I learned a lot, the instructors were informative and were not afraid to let someone know if they did stuff that might gently caress them up. I believe you can use your own bike if your bike is quiet enough, but they also have (lovely) bikes for the trainees to use. I'm actually going to get a scooter, but this was really helpful to me. It's 250, which isn't cheap, but the certificate you get allows you to skip having to take the practical at the DMV. Also I believe for more advanced classes, you get a discount if you've taken one of their classes before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

IAmKale posted:

I just passed this course today! :toot: Surprisingly I was one of only two people in our group of twelve who passed the practical riding exam. We were told the pass rate averaged 85% but drat, the instructors were actually willing to fail people who weren't ready.

Anyway, since I already have my permit the only to do now is wait for the DL389 to come in and then visit the DMV to get that sweet, sweet, M1 endorsement :woop:

lmao, everyone in my class passed. I was sure I had hosed up the practical and failed but I did okay I guess. :v: Don't have my permit yet, so I'm waiting for the paper so I can just do it all at once at the DMV.

edit: I mean passed the class, not sure if you can gently caress up on the practical and still pass.

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

IAmKale posted:

On the first day (yesterday) one guy in our group auto-failed for not wearing proper boots (then went home and returned an hour later riding some crazy Kawasaki super sport as if to prove a point :wtc:), one chick dropped the bike on herself twice so she auto-failed, and a third person pulled herself out because she felt she needed some 1:1 instruction to get more comfortable with a regular bike (she already knew she'd be getting a Zero).

That just left the nine of us today. The other guy who passed had been riding for 20+ years but only now decided to get his license. He was pretty obviously experienced and it was no surprised he passed. As for the others, most everyone else in the group was too afraid of the throttle; many riders seemed almost too afraid to pop into second, let alone use the throttle once they got there. A couple of people who I thought for sure would pass ended up failing for not enough head-turning when handling corners and turns, and I think a bit more instability than the instructors preferred. It definitely wasn't for lack of trying.

Anyway yeah, it was a hell of an experience and I'd highly recommend it! I know I picked up a few skills that I wouldn't have on my own, and I feel like I've learned enough to get started on much safer footing than if I'd decided to try and figure out everything on my own.

Jesus. At least no one in my class dropped their bike. Head turning is hard to get used to though. Also not looking down at the cones when doing the swerving.

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

IAmKale posted:

I have the absolute worst impulse control so I ended up buying a CB300F yesterday. Now I have to wait until Monday to legally ride it because my insurance agent is closed on the weekends :qq:

And after calling Allstate this morning I found out that they can't give you a motorcycle insurance policy until one year from the date you received your permit/license (whichever comes first). Apparently local agents have more clout to generate a policy on your behalf with some other company, but I'll have to wait until Monday to find out. Oh well, it's not like I wanted to ride it or anything :suicide:

Most of the companies I called wouldn't insure someone without like 3 years riding exp. Progressive gave me insurance though. Finally got my scooter, and it rules :3:

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

IAmKale posted:

Just out of curiosity, what kind of coverage (limits, etc...) did you buy, and how much did it cost you?

So I got 30k property/bodily injury 15k a person. Property damage liability 5k each accident. 500 deductible. Under/uninsured 15k each accident. 3k accessory. Made a payment of 275 for the year

• Locked thread