Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
I live in the San Fernando Valley, but I'm moving to Pomona in a couple of months. I'll be doing the MSF (again) on Friday and will try to buy a bike by April.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Drifter posted:

What went wrong the first time? Or is this just a refresher for you?

Nothing went wrong actually. I took the MSF five years ago but I didn't have the money for a bike at the time, so I never got my M1 certification. Even if I had the M1 I would be retaking the MSF though, since I want to be as up to date as possible on my training.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Drifter posted:

Borrow a Sumo so you can plant your foot when you do the figure 8 box. If your instructor objects, flip 'em the bird.

They supply the bikes. :smith: Can I still plant my foot on a Honda Rebel? If they complain I can point to the name on the bike and tell them to gently caress themselves.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Drifter posted:

I think I learned on a Rebel as well when I took the MSF. I had the damnedest time fitting my toes under the clutch so I could upshift. I blame the hiking boots I wore, but it's such a tiny bike to begin with. :shrug:

That happened to me the first time as well. I had on big work boots and I could barely shift at all. I'm getting gloves tomorrow, so if I see some good boots I might just say "gently caress it" and get them.

While I'm at it, does anyone have a good gear shop in the Los Angeles area? I'm willing to drive (what loving choice is there here?) a good ways to find a place, but I'd prefer a spot in the Valley.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Drifter posted:

http://www.motorcyclegear.com/
I don't think I've ever been in a brick store except to buy my first helmet. Once I got my sizing I bought my second helmet online (the same type, though).

http://www.motorcyclegear.com/street/boots/sport_street_touring_boots/alpinestars/s_mx_2_motorcycle_boots.html
I love this boot. It's such a good one.

I want to try stuff on before I buy it, just to make sure I like the feel.

Angryboot posted:

Cyclegear on Vanowen between Canoga and Topanga is close enough to you I think.

Aside from that there's Bert's in covina. They do price match so even though their regular prices kinda suck you can still talk them down if you can show them an ad from any site with a smart phone.

Motorhelmets in Fullerton has a bunch of other stuff like bell, shark (I think), and sidi boots.

Then there's the dainese store in costa mesa. I think alpinestars has a parking lot sale in cerritos every now and then but I've never gone and looked.

I was looking at that Cyclegear and it is probably where I will end up, but I also thought CA consensus was that the shops suck now and are focusing on selling cheap poo poo with very little variety. Thanks for the other recommendations though.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Angryboot posted:

On the one hand their store brands suck, on the other hand they do have a good warranty on their stuff in case they do break. If anything you can at least go in and find out what your sizes are with certain brands that they do carry.

If you're not on a shoe-string budget and fit Dainese stuff I really recommend taking the time and head down to the D-store in Costa Mesa to take a look. Older (2 year old) stuff go on clearance all the time before places like Revzilla would put them on sale. We've bought 2 race suits that way and saved a good amount.

Too bad we don't have a local RS Taichi dealer. That would make me happy as hell. And broke as hell too.

I am not on a tight budget when it comes to gear, I just hate driving a car anywhere near Los Angeles. I'm willing to drive for good stuff though.

*edit*

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaannnnd it is 70 miles. I'm just gonna buy gloves somewhere close to here, and when I get a helmet, jacket, pants, etc. I will make the pilgrimage to Dainese.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Angryboot posted:

Cyclegear on Vanowen between Canoga and Topanga is close enough to you I think.

Aside from that there's Bert's in covina. They do price match so even though their regular prices kinda suck you can still talk them down if you can show them an ad from any site with a smart phone.

Motorhelmets in Fullerton has a bunch of other stuff like bell, shark (I think), and sidi boots.

Then there's the dainese store in costa mesa. I think alpinestars has a parking lot sale in cerritos every now and then but I've never gone and looked.

I ended up going to Wheels in Motion on De Soto. The selection of gear wasn't amazing, but I think the prices were.

I got Alpinestar SP1 gloves for $110.
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/alpinestars-sp-1-gloves

I also picked up Alpinestar SMX 6 boots for $210.
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/alpinestars-smx-6-boots

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Drifter posted:

Hoo, full gauntlets. Good man. I keep my gauntlets and calf boots for the track. The boots are a goddamned pain to walk any normal distance in.

A majority of my commuting will be to school, which has provided me with a locker since I'm off campus. I can just keep a pair of shoes in the locker and switch them when I arrive each morning, shouldn't be too bad.

My only complaint is that I could only get the gear in black. No Power Rangers for me. :smith:

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Angryboot posted:

Oh yeah, forgot all about that place. I think a while ago they were running a sale on Dunlop Q2's but I've already gotten mine so I didn't bother checking them out again.

They were pretty cool and cheap too, so I'm considering them for future purchases.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Drifter posted:

Borrow a Sumo so you can plant your foot when you do the figure 8 box. If your instructor objects, flip 'em the bird. They'll be all "you know what, you raise a valid point," and then they'll give you your certs.

I just started this morning. They've got me on a Suzuki dr200. :cool:

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Gillingham posted:

Is there a decent place to get womens gear locally? Girlfriends fairly small at 5'3" so when I was at Berts looking for my gear she tried on some stuff, but a lot of it was way out of the price range or way to big.

Ideally somewhere cheap as I'm likely stuck buying most of the gear if I want her to ride with me, we already have a helmet but I would like to be able to safely take her on longer trips etc, which should mean we get her gear too.
I'm not opposed to buying online, sizing is my major concern there.

I would definitely like to pay under $300-400 for the set of gear.

Been checking advrider for used womens gear but that's mostly useless, is there a one stop shop for used gear?

The woman who taught my MSF said she just uses CL for all her gear, since guys buy it for their girls and then break up. I haven't looked personally, but she swore by it.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Z3n posted:

You can always cruise at a nice 70-80 for the entire ride if you're ballsy enough :smug:

My entire commute is at 70-80. The DRZ can barely handle it. :sigh:

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Coredump posted:

Just change yo sprockets.

What would that do for me?

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

SaNChEzZ posted:

Going up in the front would put you at less RPM at 70-80mph. Same as going down in the rear. More speed, less acceleration. Going down in front or up in the rear does the opposite. More low end grunt, less top end speed.

Thanks. I'll look into that.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

SaNChEzZ posted:

Also get a speedo healer, because.. yeah. On my wr250 indicated 80 was really like 64 after going down 1 in the front.

I definitely need to do that. I know my bike speedo is off, I just don't know how off.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.
I was riding at night in a perf leather jacket and over pants and I was still loving dying in this heat. At night!

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Z3n posted:

That's half of what I would have done in my younger years, haha. I'm getting old, slowing down :(

My wife saw this video and made a comment about how she likes how I ride slower now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fT-_UAwNsqk

Wait, did you get married recently? I thought she was your girlfriend still.

Either way, congratulations.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Z3n posted:

Been married for years now but thanks :)

I could swear you referred to her as girlfriend in the recent past. Must be in my head.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.
Yeah, Burt's loving sucks. The Cycle Gears in the area have Dainese; it is Cycle Gear Dainese. My jacket is from there and I really like it, it is the Veloce. But if you want the real fancy stuff you're probably not going to be satisfied.

I don't understand how the gear selection in our area is so bad.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.
I bought a Flygear backpack that has a built in camel oak for drinking while riding. If you can find something like that I would highly recommend it.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

iwentdoodie posted:

Guy died in San Diego when a woman insisted he kicked her car, so she chased him down, hit him, and then ran him over.

gently caress, that sucks. Got a link?

Edit
http://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/local/Video-Motorcycle-Road-Rage-Death-Navy-Sailor-San-Diego-305681651.html

Throw the book at her.

Chichevache fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Jun 5, 2015

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.
I want it! Just wish I had a truck to bring it back to the Bay Area in. :shepicide: I need something for Lady Chiche to learn on. If you've still got it in a month or two I might make a trip down there just to pick it up....

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Drifter posted:

Sorry. Z3n had a friend who also wanted a learner bike and a reasonable fixer-upper. He moves fast. :unsmigghh:
At least it found a good home.

Z3n, your buddy seemed like a really cool dude. I hope he makes it back safe today - it's a long round trip in the middle of the night. I also hope we secured the bike well enough. He'd never transported a bike, and I've never done anything but ride on one. :shrug:

I haven't ridden it for years, but now that it's gone it's a bittersweet feeling. There were some good times surrounding that bike.

No worries. I'm glad you've got it out of the garage and hopefully back on the road.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Hobolicious posted:

It needs to stop raining so much. Why the gently caress is it raining every day in SoCal?

Pretty sure they covered that in Genesis.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.
Head over to the gear thread and tell us what you got.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.
Get a Ninja 300 or a Ninjette, or anything but the bike you picked because you like the way it looks not the way it rides.

If you get a vstar the 250 is usually considered too small here, unless you're very tiny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

IAmKale posted:

Are cruisers bad rides or something? Honestly I don't give a poo poo about the cosmetics of a bike. I'm just looking for something relatively safe and comfortable, and right now bikes that allow for a more upright sitting position are probably going to accommodate that.

I'm hoping I'll get a chance to try riding a sportsbike and a cruiser this weekend because honestly I have no frame of reference for any of this. I'm curious to see how much truth there is in anecdotes from family and friends.

Try to ride a few bikes at the course if you get a chance. Cruisers generally allow for less control and input since the forward placement of your feet allows for less "feel" and control of the bike. A lot of us (opinion!) find standards more comfortable than cruisers. Ninjas may look like what you would consider to be a sport bike, but by riding style standards they are actually considered a standard style bike. https://www.cycle-ergo.com will let you take a good look at each bike will be like to sit on.

Feel free to hit up the other threads as well. You'll be more likely to get answers from people with more experience and knowledge than me.

• Locked thread