Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Another one in Pasadena here

My fiancee and I tend to zoom around gmr once a week or so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I'm being a bad influence lately and one of my friends at work finally got himself a ninja 300 today. I'm heading to his place tomorrow with my sena set to bark orders at him and tell him how much he sucks every time he even thinks about touching the brakes.

Especially since that bastard lives down the street from gmr. Bastard.

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer

astropika posted:

I'm in Northridge, moved here about 6 months ago from Dallas (immediately before all the Dallas riders started riding together, of course), I've been riding about a year.

I kinda miss Dallas; Moto Liberty has some good people running that store. I'm glad to be back in southern cal though.

Gonna have to check with my local shop tomorrow to assess the damage done to our zx6r from the hit-n-run. The tail is kinda skewed to the right. If we're lucky it's just the subframe...

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Cyclegear on Vanowen between Canoga and Topanga is close enough to you I think.

Aside from that there's Bert's in covina. They do price match so even though their regular prices kinda suck you can still talk them down if you can show them an ad from any site with a smart phone.

Motorhelmets in Fullerton has a bunch of other stuff like bell, shark (I think), and sidi boots.

Then there's the dainese store in costa mesa. I think alpinestars has a parking lot sale in cerritos every now and then but I've never gone and looked.

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer
On the one hand their store brands suck, on the other hand they do have a good warranty on their stuff in case they do break. If anything you can at least go in and find out what your sizes are with certain brands that they do carry.

If you're not on a shoe-string budget and fit Dainese stuff I really recommend taking the time and head down to the D-store in Costa Mesa to take a look. Older (2 year old) stuff go on clearance all the time before places like Revzilla would put them on sale. We've bought 2 race suits that way and saved a good amount.

Too bad we don't have a local RS Taichi dealer. That would make me happy as hell. And broke as hell too.

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Yeah driving around is a hassle for sure. Cycle gear is the first place I'd go to if I were you because they at least carry both A* and Dainese along with helmets from major manufacturers. After you nail down what fits you then you can branch out to more specialized places.

Either that or drag somebody along so you don't get as bored and make a trip out of it. Stop by places like the Hat and grab a pastrami sandwich on your way to Berts, etc.

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Like I said before they do match prices as long as you can show them on your phone. Paying sales tax isn't a deal breaker for me either but that's entirely up to you.

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Oh yeah, forgot all about that place. I think a while ago they were running a sale on Dunlop Q2's but I've already gotten mine so I didn't bother checking them out again.

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer
What are you getting this time?

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Berts really doesn't have much for women's gear. I think Motohelmets in Fullerton has a bit more but in general women's gear are always harder to find. The Dainese store in Costa Mesa has most of the stuff you'll find on the factory site but they're not gonna be cheap; I think it's 2-300 at least for a textile jacket and at least 150 for pants.

If you have the time I'd still recommend taking a look there though and find out what size she fits, then ebay/craigslist for used stuff.

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Is anybody interested to go for a track day or just to look around at the Autoclub Speedway in Fontana on the 26th? My wife and I might be chillin with the dude from feellikeapro.com in the paddock.

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Haven't been to this one yet, no. I don't mind doing it but fasttrack requires a class for first-timers with them and it's an extra 100 bucks plus regular track fee (I think), then another 300 for rental on top of that. Times 2 with my wife.

I think we're gonna sit on the sidelines this time; now that our wedding is done I wanna pay some bills down before screwing around more.

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer
From what I heard the track is very well taken care of. I'm only going the rental route because I don't want anything to happen to my rsv4 since a fairing panel alone is over 300 bucks and I don't really have any space to work on stuff in my apartment's car port.

After we move to a bigger place I'll be more active on tracking stuff. Unless kids happen...

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer
210 was a parking lot because 2 rigs collided this afternoon. Took me a whole 6 extra minutes to get home from work. LANE SPLITTING SUPREMACCCYYYYYY!!

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer
WERA race is this Sunday in Fontana. My wife and I are gonna show up and chill with the feellikeapro guys in the paddock tomorrow during the open track day. Does anybody wanna go and nose around with us?

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer
39 and fork should both be open. GMR was closed by the U.S.F.S. the entire 3-day weekend last week, opened up for 1 day, then closed again and won't reopen until the 11th due to a movie being filmed up there.

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Right now I can't tell for sure (and since my wife and I are moving we're not gonna be riding around this weekend). The southern exit where it leads to Sierra Madre is closed still from what I can tell, and I think the gate at the GRR junction might be closed, but I have no idea if the gate at the Fork/GMR junction is open or not. If the Fork junction gate is open then I don't see why you can't swing it over to GRR then to Baldy.

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Gonna be heading down to my local Aprilia dealer and test out the Caponord since they're doing a demo tour. Sanchezz, you're on the west side, right? I think they're gonna be in Glendale tomorrow in case you wanna hop on one too.

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer
/\/\/\ The Dainese store isn't that far from you and is worth taking the time to go check it out. Plus they put stuff on clearance earlier than secondary vendors like Revzilla so you can find stuff for a decent price a lot of times.

And Sanchezz if Thousand Oaks is closer to you the van is gonna be there on Sunday. I'll be mucking around at the WERA race in Fontana that day, eating bad food and poking at stuff.

Thoughts on the Caponord: it's uh, very calm. Seating position is odd for me since I'm on sport bikes all the time. Enough power to get around, flickable enough to be fun I guess? And wow those pegs are low. My wife's used to riding either passenger on sport bikes and riding on them solo; absolutely hated being the passenger on the capo. Because of the seating positions and our height (I'm 6'1 and she's 5'2), I blocked all her air, so she was just back there getting cooked and feeling miserable.

My opinion's been skewed from riding the RSV4 for close to 5 months though.

Angryboot fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Jun 27, 2014

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Hey Royal, I saw a white ktm on my way to work this morning on the 134 splitting off to the right while I was zooming off in the carpool lane. Was that you? I know you had a black one before but was looking to get another one.

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Ktm is doing a road demo in Thousand Oaks tomorrow. My wife and I are gonna go buzz around on a couple of 690 dukes. Anybody else feels like going?

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I know westcoast gp cycles does suspension stuff; no idea about breaking-in. You can handle not redlining that zx6r for a while, right?

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Sub 4k for 500 miles? I definitely did not take it that easy with my '12 6r. That's like what, 45mph in 6th gear?

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer
You're at 5.5k already? Man, I've been slackin with my rsv4. Only at like 3500 right now and I've had it since mid-feb.

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I blame my lack of miles on buzzing around on a 250 half of the week too.

How short is your commute? Mine's 10 miles each way and that's pretty short compared to what I used to do.

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer
You hooligan you.

I hopped on a duke 690 yesterday on a demo ride. The guys in my group didn't know how to turn. It was sad.

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer
A pinlock visor sure would have been nice this morning.

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Been pointing the fan on my desk at my gear for the last 3 hours. Almost dry enough to wear again.

Walking into the office with full gear dripping water always makes my boss crack up.

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Tried Temple City Powersports? The old manager and the service writer both left. The 2 new guys they have running the service counter seem to be alright when I talked to them last week.

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Huh, Holmes is down the street from me but I've never checked them out before.

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I'm withdrawing any recommendations I made in the past to temple city powersports. The new guys running the service department gave me a quote of 450 bucks for a set of dunlop q3s and 650 bucks for a maintenance job with a valve check on a zx6.

Sure, I'm busy most of the time, but for 650 bucks? I'll make time to do it myself. Fuckers.

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Not really; I was able to get tires for like 270. The shop down the street from me quoted me 80 bucks worth of labor, which is still almost 100 bucks cheaper than getting them done from the dealer when everything is added up.

And the maintenance quote they gave me is a whopping 200 bucks higher than what the old manager did last time when I had a major job like this.

Moral of the story: do it my drat self and quit working so much :(

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Yup, Bert's is pretty limited on their Dainese stuff. I got a few things from them every now and then but that's because I already know what I want and what size I need. Proitalia has some stuff too but I doubt their selection is that good.

Just bite the bullet and head down to the d-store instead.

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Didn't wear my leathers today or pack my Toggs. Water was pouring right into my crack before any other part of me was soaked.

It was weird.

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Yup, sun block. Lots of it.

If you have the time, go up Angeles Crest Highway and do the full route. Fuel up at the end of it at Wrightwood, go back west on the 210 and do a loop at Glendora Moutain Road. Angeles is the scenic road. GMR is the technical road.

Angryboot fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Apr 17, 2015

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer
My wife and I took today off and ran around GMR today since I need to give the new 690 a shake-down:

Good thing we went today too; apparently there's a bicycle race this coming up Saturday, which means Sunday is gonna be all crowded and poo poo.

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer
What part of Pasadena? I'm near San Gabriel and the 210.

What's wrong with your bike, and do you have a repair manual?

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I'm gonna be tied up with work for the next 2 weeks but those aren't terribly complicated tasks, just have to deal with taking off parts to get to what you need, then remember where everything is supposed to go to. I can see about swinging by for a few next weekend if everything goes according to plan at work.

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Bleh, I'm gonna e all tied up this weekend. Anybody else in the area available to help WerrWaaa out? Royal? Gillingham?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Went on ACH to Redbox during my lunch break since I work in Glendale. Man, a lot of loose dirt/sand/silt from the rain still.

• Locked thread