Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Give me the secret to the anti-puppet equation!

Hey, just wanted to put up a reminder that recruitment closes on Sunday. I'll be posting my picks for the crew either late Sunday night or Monday morning. I have a list of people who've applied and who still need to below.

People who have not yet applied (or need to finish their application):

Error 404
RandallODim (Get that Nick Fury app up! It looks cool!)
LifeGetsWorser (Might post a replacement application)
MadRhetoric
Baby Babbeh
Mr. Maltose (Needs to post bio, pic and update powers and milestones)
Druggeddward (Needs to revise bio, and talked about updating powerset though it seems pretty complete to me)
Classtoise
Sion

If anyone I haven't listed wants to apply as well, please do, I just wanted to remind everyone that the recruitment phase will end on Sunday and the game will start bright and early Monday morning. Thank you to everyone for their interest and I'm looking forward to starting play!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Good news: my Moon Knight app is done.

Bad news: Khonshu doesn't even look like a word anymore.

Druggeddwarf
Nov 9, 2011

My first attack must ALWAYS be a charge!
Updated.

the sentinel part was fine. Just that there were mentions of doom pools everywhere I had to replace.

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Druggeddwarf posted:

Updated.

the sentinel part was fine. Just that there were mentions of doom pools everywhere I had to replace.

Holy poo poo, that bio definitely changed. Awesome work though. Only thing missing is milestones but there's not as much rush on those since they're more for playtime than for the application phase I guess.

Also, Maltose, I love your bio as well. I hope that your Moon Knight is essentially the Aquaman gag from Venture Bros as a Khonshu worshiper because that is how it reads, and that tickles me. I hope that every single time anyone on the team is sad she just goes, "Don't worry. Khonshu has a plan for us all." "Have you heard the good news about Khonshu?" "If you're interested in living longer, I have some good news for you!"

LifeGetsWorser
Oct 23, 2010

Me "IRL" :smug:
Fun Shoe
Ok, so hold onto your hats on this other one (and let me know if it looks ridiculously unbalanced), I couldn't find a good web datafile for her, so I made it myself (hence it taking longer.)

quote:

Red Sonja

Affiliations Solo d10, Buddy d8, Team d6

Distinctions:
She-Devil with a Sword
Silver-Metal "Bikini”
The Chosen One

BLESSINGS OF SCATHACH

Enhanced Durability d8 Enhanced Reflexes d8
Enhanced Stamina d8 Enhanced Strength d8

SFX: Immunity. Spend 1 PP to ignore stress, trauma, or complications from cold, poison, disease, or fatigue.
SFX: Last-Ditch Effort. Step up or double any BLESSINGS OF SCATHACH die on your next roll, or spend 1 PP to do both, then shutdown that power. Recover power by activating an opportunity or during a Transition Scene.
SFX: Second Wind. Before you make an action including a BLESSINGS OF SCATHACH power, you may move your physical stress die to the doom pool and step up the BLESSINGS OF SCATHACH power for this action.
Limit: Exhausted. Shut down any BLESSINGS OF SCATHACH power to gain 1 PP. Recover Power by activating an opportunity or during a transition scene.

SHE-DEVIL'S ARSENAL

Superhuman Durability d10 Weapon d10

SFX: Weapon Master. When using a SHE DEVIL'S ARSENAL power to create a combat related asset, add a d6 and step up your effect die.
SFX: Berserk. Borrow a die from the doom pool for this action. Step up the die and return it to the doom pool after your action ends.
Limit: Gear. Shut down SHE DEVIL'S ARSENAL and gain 1 PP. Take an action vs. the doom pool to recover SHE DEVIL'S ARSENAL.

Specialties:
Acrobatics Expert d8 Combat Master d10
Covert Expert d8 Menace Expert d8
Mystic Master d10 Psych Expert d8

Milestones:

OATHSWORN
1 xp When you flirt with another hero.
3 xp When you deny a suitor as unworthy.
10 xp When you begin a relationship with a hero who has proven themselves worthy of you, or when you cast aside your divine gifts to pursue a hero who you really want.

SEEKING SPIDER-MAN
1 xp When you take action to locate Spider-Man
3 xp When you find credible information concerning the truth of Spider-Man's supposed demise.
10 xp When you rescue Spider-Man from whatever trouble he's gotten himself into, or when you accept Parker is dead and seek to overcome Kulan-Gath on your own.

Once, a red-haired girl named Sonja lived with her family in the Hyrkanian steppes. When Sonja had just turned seventeen years old, a gang of cruel mercenaries killed her father Ivor, her mother and two younger brothers, and burned their house and all their possessions. She survived, but at the cost of her own virginity after she was brutally raped by the leader of the group, leaving her in shame.

Answering Sonja's cry for revenge, the red goddess Scathach appeared to her, and offered to bestow upon her unparalleled skill in battle on the condition that she would never lie with a man unless he defeated her in fair combat. Sonja gladly accepted the offer. She grew to womanhood as a wandering adventurer, and as she journeyed her legend grew as well. She became known as Red Sonja, due to her flame-red hair, fiery personality, and uncanny ability to spill the blood of her enemies wherever she went.

Long opposed to the sorcerer Kulan Gath's mechanations, Sonja has even visited the modern era before Kulan Gath wove his master spell, her spirit possessing the body of Peter Parker's girlfriend Mary-Jane and teaming up with the wall-crawler to overcome the sorcerer's schemes more than once.

Despite this, Sonja was not unaffected by Kulan Gath's altering of history, unbeknownst to her once again in possession of Mary-Jane Watson's body. She does remember well the strange Man-Spider, however, and feels the reports of his death are greatly exaggerated. Remembering a highly altered version of their adventures together, she seeks his aid in toppelling Gath once and for all, but to find the Man-Spider, she also seeks allies in her quest.

LifeGetsWorser fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Mar 31, 2014

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

I can dig the Red Sonja app. Only note is the d12 grandmaster specialty. I'm going to ask that be bumped down to a d10 since she's already pretty hardcore with the dual powersets. I'm of the school of thought that grandmaster specialties should be for cosmic level threats like Thanos and his ilk. Other than that it looks good.

Lager fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Mar 30, 2014

LifeGetsWorser
Oct 23, 2010

Fun Shoe

Lager posted:

I can dig the Red Sonja app. Only note is the d12 grandmaster specialty. I'm going to ask that be bumped down to a d10 since she's already pretty hardcore with the dual powersets. I'm of the school of thought that grandmaster specialties should be for cosmic level threats like Thanos and his ilk. Other than that it looks good.

Sure thing, no problem.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
Apologies for how close to the line I'm cutting it with this, but here's my application for Hyborian Nick Fury.

Edited to add new (Marvel 1602) pics, spoilered old stuff.

http://i.imgur.com/VMoXWdf.jpg
I couldn't find a really good medieval Nick Fury picture that fit my concept (it was all just Samuel L Jackson Fury, who just doesn't have quite the grizzled old bastard feel I'm looking for), so just mentally dress him up in a darker, tattered version of this guy's cloak, chainmail, and other period clothes, with a crossbow instead of a pistol.

quote:

Sir Nicholas The Fury

Affiliations
Solo d8, Buddy d6, Team d10

Distinctions
Don't Insult My Intelligence
Wartime Leader
Former Leader of The Shield

Ouroboros Poultice
Enhanced Reflexes - d8
Enhanced Stamina - d8
Enhanced Durability - d8
SFX: I've Lived Your History Books. When creating team- or tactically-based assets, add D6 and step up the effect die by +1.
SFX: I Ain't Finished Here Yet. (Second Wind) Before making an action including an Ouroboros Poultice power, you may move your Physical Stress die to the doom pool and step up the Ouroboros Poultice power by +1.
Limit: The Years Still Take Their Toll. (Exhaustion) Shutdown any Ouroboros Poultice power and gain 1PP. Recover during a transition scene or by activating an opportunity.

The Shield's Armory
Weapon: Repeater Crossbow - d8
Chainmail Uniform - d6
Warp Cloak (Teleport) - d6
SFX: Focus. If a pool includes a Shield Armory power, you may replace two dice of equal size with one die +1 step larger.
SFX: Storm of Bolts (Area Attack). Add a d6 and keep an additional effect die for each additional target when using Repeater Crossbow.
Limit: Gear. Shutdown Power Set to gain 1PP. Take action vs. Doom Pool to regain.

Specialties
Combat Master - d10
Covert Master - d10
Menace Expert - d10
Psych Expert - d8
Vehicle Expert - d8
Acrobatic Expert - d8
Crime Expert - d8

Milestones:
The Past Can't Be Outrun Eternally
1 XP - When you run into a figure you've had a relationship with earlier in your life, good or bad.
3 XP - When your history or a figure from it creates complications for you or your allies.
10 XP - When you either find a replacement for the Ouroboros Poultice to continue prolonging your life and fighting the good fight, or decide to forgo such extensions and do something significant with the time you have left.

A General Without An Army
1 XP - When you have no one to delegate a task to and must instead do it yourself.
3 XP - When you successfully coordinate a new group through a mission.
10 XP - When you either pursue revenge for your old comrades at the expense of your new allies, or abandon your quest of vengeance to help lead a new team.

It's rare that a lowly soldier distinguishes himself as deserving of command; it is rarer still that he manages to keep it. But such is the path that led Sir Nicholas to his leadership in the wars of old. Rising from a mere soldier to commanding his own elite band of warriors, Sir Nicholas established himself as one of the great heroes of the Great War, fighting alongside such legends as the Captain of the Americas, and with such vigor as to earn his title, "The Fury". But the Great War would end, as the Captain of the Americas disappeared, and the golden shine of heroism the wars granted began to dull. Sir Nicholas himself was gravely injured at the end of the war, caught in an arcane maelstrom that wracked his body and took his eye. Rescued before he succumbed to his wounds, The Fury was revived by the intervention of a secretive crone, who bestowed upon him the healing magic of the Ourboros Poultice. However, this healing had additional effects, halting Sir Nicholas's aging. This blessing was not without its cost, however, for the magic which preserved his relative youth would only persist for as long as he could regularly reapply the Poultice. Should he fail, he would be ravaged by the evaded years all at once, and perish.

No longer possessing a war to fight, The Fury and his men organized into an independent spy network: The Shield. Though ostensibly a secret organization, The Shield was never truly unknown, eventually spanning nearly all the lands in its operations. For their part, The Shield would attempt to combat the petty tyrants and warlords who arose, and to serve as a check on the powers of larger masters, through whatever means were necessary. For decades the organization persisted in its mission, obtaining and trading secrets and fighting and undermining wars as a not-so-secret influence on the world's balance of power. But things could not remain so good forever. Digging too deep, The Shield discovered secrets too dangerous to certain powers to be allowed to be exposed. The Shield were slaughtered to the man by unknown assassins, unaware what they had even uncovered to bring this upon them. Only Sir Nicholas escaped the massacre that took his entire organization from him in one fell swoop.

Now The Fury is alone and on the run, with only the limited armaments he could quickly acquire during the fall of The Shield, including a magical cape acquired years ago from a self-proclaimed devil slayer. Still pursued by the forces of his unknown nemesis, and with plenty of other adversaries who'd love to settle up now that Sir Nicholas is isolated, The Fury sets out to avenge The Shield, find allies to help weather the oncoming storm of old foes, and perhaps do some last bits of good for the world. Because without The Shield, Fury's personal supply of Ourboros Poultice can't be replenished. And when he runs out, it's only a matter of time before all that extra life will finally catch up with him.

RandallODim fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Mar 31, 2014

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Look up Marvel 1602 Fury. He is grizzled as gently caress.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

Mr. Maltose posted:

Look up Marvel 1602 Fury. He is grizzled as gently caress.

You're my favorite person. New pictures added.

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Recruitment is closed. Please watch for a post with the link for the IC thread!

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Game thread is up!

I have decided to expand out to 8 players. If I had gotten 10-15 apps I would have had to make some tough calls, but only having one extra? I can totally manage expanding the party out to fit everyone in. So the team is...

Kl'rt, Last of the Skrulls - Captain Hats
Jade Janna - thelazyblank
Red Sonja - LifeGetsWorser
M'Baku the Man Ape - Lurdiak
Captain Danvers - Lurks With Wolves
Skylark and Rover - Druggeddwarf
The Specter of Khonshu - Mr. Maltose
Sir Nicholas The Fury - RandallODim

Please make sure you use a bolded header with your character name, and anytime we're in combat also italicize your number of PP (everyone starts with 1 freebie), XP (you'll get some soon I'm sure!), affiliation (solo/buddy/team die) and any stress or complications active on you. I have reserved the first reply in the IC thread so that I can use that to keep track of where the team is, what is going on, what complications/assets/resources are active, and what the current turn order is once we get into combat scenes.

Have fun, party people!

Lager fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Mar 31, 2014

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
I just realized that Captain Marvel is medieval Moonstone mid-Thunderbolts and I dig it so much.

Druggeddwarf
Nov 9, 2011

Awesome first post. Well have my m my first one up in 6 hours or so.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

Mr. Maltose posted:

I just realized that Captain Marvel is medieval Moonstone mid-Thunderbolts and I dig it so much.

You know what's nice? Getting complimented before you even post in the IC thread. Probably won't live up to it, but still.

Also, I'll hold off on posting until tomorrow. It'll give you guys on the ground a chance to do things without some lady swooping in and interrupting your fight, and it'll give me a chance to get some drat sleep before I write a post.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
Made my/the first post oh god. Having never done this before, it'd be great if anyone could let me know about anything I might've done wrong. I tried to stick The Fury in an observing role to be safe, since I may not actually be able to post a ton for the next few days. I'll definitely try to keep up though!

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

RandallODim posted:

Made my/the first post oh god. Having never done this before, it'd be great if anyone could let me know about anything I might've done wrong. I tried to stick The Fury in an observing role to be safe, since I may not actually be able to post a ton for the next few days. I'll definitely try to keep up though!

Post is good, and I just wanted to say - now that I'm not poring over the IC thread to get it ready, I have to tell you that I love that you took my suggestion about finding some cool artifact to use in your arsenal powerset and came up with - of all things - Devil Slayer's cloak. That's pretty great. Looking forward to seeing what the other characters wind up doing. I had trouble coming up with a way to get the band all together in one place, so I figured on starting with everything split up a little bit.

Also, druggeddwarf - sorry that I keep forgetting you're riding on Rover's shoulder. The Sealed Contraption SFX made me think ou were in a cockpit inside him again.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Posted. I really hope this turns into a bar fight.

Druggeddwarf
Nov 9, 2011

Lager posted:

Also, druggeddwarf - sorry that I keep forgetting you're riding on Rover's shoulder. The Sealed Contraption SFX made me think ou were in a cockpit inside him again.

Perfectly fine. I will probably have an temp resource later during a battle where I get inside it for Better mech style control.

LifeGetsWorser
Oct 23, 2010

Fun Shoe
Oh neat, starting Red Sonja with She-Hulk - this can only end wonderfully.

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Lurdiak posted:

Posted. I really hope this turns into a bar fight.

Druggeddwarf
Nov 9, 2011

LifeGetsWorser posted:

Oh neat, starting Red Sonja with She-Hulk - this can only end wonderfully.

Oh I'm sorry, do you want to exchange for my bugf^€k crazy bowmaster here?

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
And now I am faced with the greatest dilemma: Do I stay for the bar fight or leave for the sneaking mission?

LifeGetsWorser
Oct 23, 2010

Fun Shoe

Druggeddwarf posted:

Oh I'm sorry, do you want to exchange for my bugf^€k crazy bowmaster here?

Captain Khonshu would undoubtedly either appreciate or get really frustrated by Red Sonja, since she's empowered by the (a?) goddess of vengeance and all.

As such, no, you can keep yours.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

Lager posted:

Post is good, and I just wanted to say - now that I'm not poring over the IC thread to get it ready, I have to tell you that I love that you took my suggestion about finding some cool artifact to use in your arsenal powerset and came up with - of all things - Devil Slayer's cloak. That's pretty great. Looking forward to seeing what the other characters wind up doing. I had trouble coming up with a way to get the band all together in one place, so I figured on starting with everything split up a little bit.

Glad to hear you liked it! A teleporting cloak just really seemed to make sense for a Nick Fury on the run, and it was obscure and limited enough that it didn't seem like it'd be out of place. I'm also liking the separated openings. It makes a few big figures being in one place seem reasonable, since it isn't just one big gathering, and I can imagine it providing for some interesting drama down the line as our impromptu parties and their individual goals begin to converge. Assuming our current groups actually coalesce into alliances, of course!

I'll likely get a post up later tonight detailing The Fury's ducking out of the tavern, but I wanted to ask first: Is tailing this goon something I should make a roll for, and if so how do I denote that in my post? Nevermind, just saw that THE FIGHT IS ON. This tavern is boned.

RandallODim fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Mar 31, 2014

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

RandallODim posted:

Glad to hear you liked it! A teleporting cloak just really seemed to make sense for a Nick Fury on the run, and it was obscure and limited enough that it didn't seem like it'd be out of place. I'm also liking the separated openings. It makes a few big figures being in one place seem reasonable, since it isn't just one big gathering, and I can imagine it providing for some interesting drama down the line as our impromptu parties and their individual goals begin to converge. Assuming our current groups actually coalesce into alliances, of course!

I'll likely get a post up later tonight detailing The Fury's ducking out of the tavern, but I wanted to ask first: Is tailing this goon something I should make a roll for, and if so how do I denote that in my post? Nevermind, just saw that THE FIGHT IS ON. This tavern is boned.

You have a few options with the goon. You could ignore him entirely which could lead to some fun for me. You could attack him before he leaves. You could trail him and see where he's going. You could roll to create a covert asset to use in a successive action against him. You could draw attention to him and see what happens. It's up to you what action you take. Generally though just following him wouldn't require a roll unless you're building an asset or resource.

Captain Hats
Jan 6, 2009

ELF
Sorry I haven't been able to pitch in yet, I've been busy at work all day then running my Monday evening Marvel game. Since combat has broken out I'll wait for Kl'rts turn before introducing him? I don't want to interrupt the flow of the action, and this is my first PbP so I don't want to rock the boat too much. Plus surprise reveals are always great, right?

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

Lager posted:

You have a few options with the goon. You could ignore him entirely which could lead to some fun for me. You could attack him before he leaves. You could trail him and see where he's going. You could roll to create a covert asset to use in a successive action against him. You could draw attention to him and see what happens. It's up to you what action you take. Generally though just following him wouldn't require a roll unless you're building an asset or resource.

Okay, good to know. The book's explanation felt ambiguous in this case, and I wasn't sure if it'd be an opposed roll here or such for trying to remain undetected while following him.

I cannot wait to see this bar fight unravel, especially when a drunk Super Skrull gets involved out of nowhere.

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

RandallODim posted:

Okay, good to know. The book's explanation felt ambiguous in this case, and I wasn't sure if it'd be an opposed roll here or such for trying to remain undetected while following him.

I cannot wait to see this bar fight unravel, especially when a drunk Super Skrull gets involved out of nowhere.

Nah, I'll pretty much be making the GM call that if you're just narrating something, go ahead and do it for the sake of story. But roll if you want to do something with that narration like assets/resources/etc. Just seems to keep things tidy and only make you roll when you're trying to impact the game directly with your roll.

That said, this goes both ways and so I can - at any time - decide to interrupt your story with my story. I'll get my story all up in there, oh yeah.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Franisko people: Should I swoop in and ask you two what the hell's going on now, or do you two want a few more posts to yourself?

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Lurks With Wolves posted:

Franisko people: Should I swoop in and ask you two what the hell's going on now, or do you two want a few more posts to yourself?

This is a good question, because there will be a special guest star coming to meet you also once you're all together.

Druggeddwarf
Nov 9, 2011

I honestly don't mind either way. Kiiiiiiiiiiinda waiting on Mr Maltose to post something. Anything.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Drop in, because we need maximal clusterfuck.

Also, as an aside is it fair to assume that people are at least vaguely aware of Khonshu as an actual worshiped god? Just because Kulan Gath killed the Moon Popes doesn't mean there's not Lunar Vicars still in business. Or similar.

Druggeddwarf
Nov 9, 2011

Well my last post suggested that I knew something. Of course I just believe you're some delusional jerk who just likes to shoot innocent girls and not the embodiment of vengeance in front of me. I was fully ready for us to duke it out too.

Quick Edit: In fact, Danvers, if you think your first action will so be a striaght up punch to the face, go for it. It's not marvel if we don't have party bouts.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Yeah that was more a question for Lager vis-a-vis npcs and such.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Druggeddwarf posted:

Quick Edit: In fact, Danvers, if you think your first action will so be a striaght up punch to the face, go for it. It's not marvel if we don't have party bouts.

I would have, but you two were having an almost friendly conversation when I came in. I can't just tackle someone while they're in the middle of a conversation. That's just rude.

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

I don't know what to put here. Guys? GUYS?!
BTW, Janna's opportunities give a d4, not a d6.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I can't figure out how to make this dice roller roll dice.

E: gently caress it, just made it add up the rolls.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Apr 2, 2014

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
The key is using hashtags and semi-colons. Like, for your attack roll the syntax would be 1d6; 3#1d10 which gives you http://orokos.com/roll/178623: 1d6 2 3#1d10 2 10 8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

thelazyblank posted:

BTW, Janna's opportunities give a d4, not a d6.

Oh hell, forgot about the Fourth Wall SFX. I'll edit the doom pool.

Also, Lurdiak - couple things to note. Your first roll had two power traits from your power set - you can only use 1 power trait per roll from each power set, so since you've only got the one power set you only use reflexes or durability, not both. Though your reaction roll stays the same because you forgot to roll a distinction! So if you roll a d8 distinction (they can be d8 or d4 if you want to grab a PP for handicapping yourself) then your roll remains accurate. On your second roll you only used the one power trait and the one SFX, so you can roll an extra d8 and see if that helps your roll any for your distinction, or use a d4 if you want to grab a free PP. Regardless, I'm grabbing your opportunity.

Also, Lurdiak, go ahead and tag who is going to be next in the round. Either Kl'rt, Rojhaz, Mystery Sneaky Guy, or The Fury.

• Locked thread