Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
most media worth consuming is political, if not explicitly or directly or even intentionally so

Ambrose Burnside fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Mar 19, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEAD MAN'S SHOE
Nov 23, 2003

We will become evil and the stars will come alive
Welp, just binned all my stereolab and crass cds

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Ambrose Burnside posted:

most media worth consuming is political, if not explicitly or directly or even intentionally so

All media is explicitly and intentionally political hth

A CRUNK BIRD
Sep 29, 2004
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2HRNZ1fo5G0

cheapandugly
Jul 6, 2007

Snowy posted:

Militia is my favorite "believe it or not they're not nazis" anti-fascist industrial/power electronic/noise/who cares band. And they do plenty of splits with the fascists, so basically everyone is full of poo poo and out to provoke because sensationalism is fun, and I'm ok with that.

This poo poo is super rad.

Bitchkrieg
Mar 10, 2014

Thanks for the recommendation on Militia.

I'm a huge fan of Laibach and have followed them for years -- I collect their merchandise, and for a stint in grad school, wrote/researched on the NSK (Neue Slowinsche Kunst, "New Slovenian Art") movement they're involved in. They issued fake passports for the NSK in Yugoslavia that purportedly allowed some people to flee from warzones during the Balkan conflicts. My only real criticism with them is that there's some weird kind of symbiotic relationship with Slavoj Zizek, and that guy is insufferable.

Also -- Laibach's commentary on Rammstein is the greatest:

quote:

When members of Laibach were asked by an interviewer about Rammstein "stealing" from them, they responded that "Laibach does not believe in originality... Therefore, Rammstein could not 'steal' much from us. They simply let themselves get inspired by our work, which is absolutely a legitimate process. We are glad that they made it. In a way, they have proven once again that a good 'copy' can make more money on the market than the 'original'. Anyhow, today we share the territory: Rammstein seem to be a kind of Laibach for adolescents and Laibach are Rammstein for grown-ups." Laibach would later provide a remix for the Rammstein single Ohne Dich.

Drone and martial industrial is one of my guilty pleasures (I leave it on while working in the lab), and I hate admitting to enjoying it because the entire scene is populated by a slew of people who are absolutely, completely, entirely, definitely not neofascists (but hey want to read some Francis Parker Yockey in a totally not racist way? ...the Boyd Rice fans doth protest too much). It's gross.

Bitchkrieg fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Mar 19, 2014

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
i don't know if they should go in this thread, but someone posted Rome earlier(it owned btw) and it really reminded me of Agalloch, one of my favorite bands who really own.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PrmF9mrE2vc

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene

skasion posted:

Bitchkrieg
Mar 10, 2014

skasion posted:

Look sometimes a totenkopf and wolfsangel are just totenkopfs and wolfsangels.

What's with your obsession with assigning value to my politically, racially, ideologically, and culturally charged symbols? You're the real fascist, trying to suppress my expression and question it.

Here's a charming interview with Boyd Rice. He's the hero neofolk deserves.

Bitchkrieg fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Mar 19, 2014

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

A Sloth posted:

I find it funny Shekhovstov lectures academics on obscure neofolk bans as the great nazi threat.
eh not really. he's sort of the opinion that neofolk is a reflection of an ideological current on the far right that deliberately avoids getting involved with politics. boyd rice pops up on the metzger show but there's not a lot of real political activity.

it's the far right equivalent of "lifestyle anarchism." harmless isn't the right word, but in terms of nazi stuff it's pretty anodyne.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Twee as gently caress posted:

i love the mental contortions non-racist neo-folks fans go through

'Oh man he wrote all those songs that sound really racist and hangs out with these nazis and was a member of nazi groups in the 80s, but he makes good music so surely david tibet can't be racist :ohdear: '
some of them remind me of people who play WW2 nazi dress-up.

another thing is that the crimes of the nazis were so bad, everything associated with them (including nazi aesthetics) has been tainted. like a lot of modernist art and architecture that had its roots in nazism has been quietly divorced from its origins. but just because the nazis built flak towers and atlantic bunkers doesn't mean you're forbidden to appreciate brutalism, which was directly inspired by it. art can have dodgy politics but still be "good art."

it's more complicated because nazis tend to be furtive. they hide their politics, unlike communists who blah blah blah about it constantly. jonathan meades called nazis "pedophiles in jackboots."

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene

Omi-Polari posted:

another thing is that the crimes of the nazis were so bad, everything associated with them (including nazi aesthetics) has been tainted. like a lot of modernist art and architecture that had its roots in nazism has been quietly divorced from its origins. but just because the nazis built flak towers and atlantic bunkers doesn't mean you're forbidden to appreciate brutalism, which was directly inspired by it. art can have dodgy politics but still be "good art."

it's more complicated because nazis tend to be furtive. they hide their politics, unlike communists who blah blah blah about it constantly. jonathan meades called nazis "pedophiles in jackboots."
drat this is all highly ambiguous, i'll have to give new consideration to Art which glorifies pedophiles and nazis. Much grey area, lots of intellectual stimulation

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene
the crimes of Genghis Khan were so ratchet that we might as well get down to them and make music about it

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

cargo cult posted:

drat this is all highly ambiguous, i'll have to give new consideration to Art which glorifies pedophiles and nazis. Much grey area, lots of intellectual stimulation
well why not? yukio mishima wrote some great books. the guy also sliced his guts open after a failed fascist coup.

the non-racist neofolk fans are spinning themselves into knots over this and it's retarded. they can recognize it as fascist music and still say that it's good on an aesthetic level.

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene
(((((((what im trying to say is that is that simple inactive complicity with the Werhmacht was enough to get people shot in the loving face by their anglo-saxon bretheren in 1945)))))))))

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Omi-Polari posted:

"

Brutalism, stemming from functionalist architectural schools, predates nazism. Also the Nazis weren't the first or only ones to build concrete military structures.

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene
its not enough to write off your fetishism as shallow intellectual curiosity or sexual deviancy b/c that wasnt enough to spare your life when we we're executing people for inciting genocide, I Hope This Helps

Al Cowens
Aug 11, 2004

by WE B Bourgeois

Omi-Polari posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMNL3YpnRrc

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

cargo cult posted:

its not enough to write off your fetishism as shallow intellectual curiosity or sexual deviancy b/c that wasnt enough to spare your life when we we're executing people for inciting genocide, I Hope This Helps
who cares enough to execute anybody over this stupid poo poo? neofolk is literally a cult led by a fat, old, gay nazi who covers his face and sings songs about being sad that his side lost/is doomed.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Omi-Polari posted:

who cares enough to execute anybody over this stupid poo poo? neofolk is literally a cult led by a fat, old, gay nazi who covers his face and sings songs about being sad that his side lost/is doomed.

Poster cargo cult is in the middle of a drunken shitposting binge that's taking multiple forums by a storm. Check out his posting history.

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene

Omi-Polari posted:

that's gay

steinrokkan posted:

Poster cargo cult is in the middle of a drunken shitposting binge that's taking multiple forums by a storm. Check out his posting history.
for sure gay

A CRAB IRL
May 6, 2009

If you're looking for me, you better check under the sea

The real issue with neofolk is not the fascism, it's that after listening to everything linked in this thread, all of it is either cod-dad-folk in uniforms or just really loving out of time and badly produced garbage electronica

what the gently caress

A CRUNK BIRD
Sep 29, 2004

Clamps McGraw posted:

The real issue with neofolk is not the fascism, it's that after listening to everything linked in this thread, all of it is either cod-dad-folk in uniforms or just really loving out of time and badly produced garbage electronica

what the gently caress
I didn't listen to anything in this thread but it's safe to assume you have bad taste in music and probably listen to Dream Theater.

A CRUNK BIRD
Sep 29, 2004
Particularly if you think Matmos sounds bad lol

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

I'm waiting for the time where Nazi-bait is no longer shocking and the club music fans start getting desensitized to it and these guys have to start emulating Jihadists to start be sensationalistic.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Young Freud posted:

I'm waiting for the time where Nazi-bait is no longer shocking and the club music fans start getting desensitized to it and these guys have to start emulating Jihadists to start be sensationalistic.

Muslimgauze has already kind of done that whole thing already

ASSASSINS!
Jan 2, 2009

Young Freud posted:

the straight edge hardcore scene did that back in the 90's.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SH7MC1LSatI

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

I contributed a track to a compilation with boyd rice on it so i've probably caused 5~ minority deaths

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

DIJ is p cool tho

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

Clamps McGraw posted:

what the gently caress

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
i tihnk, in my heart of hearts, that we are all cod dad folk, in some small way

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

I have toa dmit to liking arditi, their music goes well to playing dark souls. Although I would never actually buy one of their albums, I don't support obvious fascists.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I looked up DIJ on wikipedia and I can't tell if the guy is actually a fascist or not which I guess means he probably is. Ladytron covered one of his songs though only they edited it to be less racist.

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRWquOxwYqg

cheapandugly
Jul 6, 2007
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vej0mX_Ka0E

Kombotron
Aug 11, 2011
ur all gay human being shitlords with terrible tastes into horrible music

apox on ur assholes

hth

cheapandugly
Jul 6, 2007
aren't you the dude that posted the thread about how american natives are poo poo... gently caress you.

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

Foetus is actually good though, and not neo-folk.

cheapandugly
Jul 6, 2007
Yeah they're not neo-folk, but they're pretty iffy lyrics wise. They're better musically by a wide margin than most of the groups discussed itt though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot
Need some good ambient neo-folk pseudonazi music to play as propaganda for my post-apoc milsim larp group *bullet belt slides down brim of fedora*

• Locked thread