Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

thedaian posted:

Fire in the Mist is still one of my more hated levels. Mostly because it's possible to get quite screwed if you let the enemy shaman in.

:suicide:

Crosspeice fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Nov 17, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JakeyZydrate
Dec 26, 2012
Mannnnn, this game. I loved it as a kid, even if it did take up a full memory card back on the PS1. :allears:

I was never any good though, somehow did better back as a kid then I do now though. This, along with Warzone 2100 were my first foray into my dangerous addiction to strategy games. :shobon:

thedaian
Dec 11, 2005

Blistering idiots.

gently caress that volcano spell.

As you mentioned, if you don't plan for it and watch for it, then your entire settlement can get wiped out when the shaman comes in and volcanoes your area. And it's going to happen the first time through a level.

The good news is that it can only happen once (as far as I know), and it does basically generate a ton of free land to build on if you're willing to wait for it to return to normal (land gets "damaged" when a building is destroyed on it or something like Volcano or Earthquake get cast).

There's another level involving volcanos much much later on that I got stuck on for a very long time. Hopefully you'll get a chance to show it off.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

thedaian posted:

gently caress that volcano spell.

As you mentioned, if you don't plan for it and watch for it, then your entire settlement can get wiped out when the shaman comes in and volcanoes your area. And it's going to happen the first time through a level.

The good news is that it can only happen once (as far as I know), and it does basically generate a ton of free land to build on if you're willing to wait for it to return to normal (land gets "damaged" when a building is destroyed on it or something like Volcano or Earthquake get cast).

There's another level involving volcanos much much later on that I got stuck on for a very long time. Hopefully you'll get a chance to show it off.

That's entirely why I built my settlement away from where the Shaman usually lands. I just have no idea where she'd come from, which I why I immediately looked in the wrong place when I heard the war cry. At least I showed everything off!

And in most levels, the enemy Shaman had the same spells you have, so the Chumera had Volcano, Earthquake and Tornado. It's just a weird jump in difficulty, since the next FoW level isn't as lovely and the next few levels don't throw such powerful spells at you, it's weird.

JakeyZydrate posted:

Mannnnn, this game. I loved it as a kid, even if it did take up a full memory card back on the PS1. :allears:

I was never any good though, somehow did better back as a kid then I do now though. This, along with Warzone 2100 were my first foray into my dangerous addiction to strategy games. :shobon:

Maaaaan, am I the only one who started with the PC version? I'm really underestimating people's nostalgia. :v:

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
In my own case, I wasn't really old enough to go off hunting games, especially PC ones. Also my area wasn't great, though one could also call that 'lack of knowledge'. This is the child who played and loved his Atari ST while everyone else was playing consoles. Even as I got more consoles and even a PC of my own back then.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Yeah, I guess getting the PS1 version would be more convenient, I was playing this game on my dad's Windows 2000 and didn't discover the PS1 version until well after I got a PS2. Then I sacrificed my blue memory card to the godshaman.

Also, blub blub blub.

Crosspeice fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Nov 17, 2014

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

This is honestly one of the coolest levels in the game. The whole hastily building an army in the water-logged ruins of who-knows-what civilization just feels rad.

Nuramor
Dec 13, 2012

Most Amewsing Prinny Ever!
What happens when the time runs out? Is it simply a "Time out, you lose" situation or will it sink the new place back down or what?

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Nuramor posted:

What happens when the time runs out? Is it simply a "Time out, you lose" situation or will it sink the new place back down or what?
The new island sinks back and all of your followers die (including those not on the new island).

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Your settlement sinks back into the sea and everyone dies. Which is why it's a good idea to be fairly quick. I'm sure I'll show it in a bonus video.

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

Is there any fluff to this game beyond MANA MANA SHAMAN MANA OUR TRIBES MUST FIGHT? I sure would like to know why there are all these space-faring tribes fighting over all these planets.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Man, I loved this game as a kid. I did all sorts of weird poo poo to it, like hacking the level files to give me last level god mode in every level and special spells like teleport everywhere. I absolutely played it to death in every sense. It was the first game I had ever seen that had real deformable terrain and nothing else has really come close since, in terms of what you can do.

Also man, you're fast. Two pages and already ten missions in. Shame this isn't getting more attention.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

ChaosSamusX posted:

Is there any fluff to this game beyond MANA MANA SHAMAN MANA OUR TRIBES MUST FIGHT? I sure would like to know why there are all these space-faring tribes fighting over all these planets.

Everybody wants to be God.

That's the prize at stake. That's what we're fighting for. You become God, your people become The Chosen Ones.

The thing is as much as is possible the prequel to Populous, where you always played as Blue.

Bloodly fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Mar 27, 2014

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

ChaosSamusX posted:

Nope! Aside from wanting to be a god, there's nothing. We've seen one of three cutscenes this game has. Guess the Shaman can do short range reincarnation from planet to planet and once it's free of "bad mana" she can go to the next one, until only her tribe is left and she reigns supreme.

Cardiovorax posted:

Man, I loved this game as a kid. I did all sorts of weird poo poo to it, like hacking the level files to give me last level god mode in every level and special spells like teleport everywhere.

Tell me how to do that and I could make some... interesting bonus videos. And this is my first lp on this forum of a pretty unknown game, I was expecting this, but for me, having one of my videos reach 40 views in a day is like amazing.

And since the levels were so short I can just bust 'em out. The levels are about to get oh so much longer. For me. I'm employing heavy editing from here on out.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Crosspeice posted:

Tell me how to do that and I could make some... interesting bonus videos. And this is my first lp on this forum of a pretty unknown game, I was expecting this, but for me, having one of my videos reach 40 views in a day is like amazing.

And since the levels were so short I can just bust 'em out. The levels are about to get oh so much longer. For me. I'm employing heavy editing from here on out.
I wish I remembered the details, it was fifteen years ago. It was pretty simple, though. I just used a savegame/file comparison tool (the kind of thing they used before memory hacking and trainers were a thing) to compare two levels with each other and then basically start copying and pasting bits of data from one file to the other to see what happened. You'd have to use trial and error, but it was really pretty easy. I did it when I was like fourteen, after all. I'm sure you could replicate whatever I came up with very easily.

I do remember that there was a section right at the beginning of the file that determined what kind of "flavour" the level had - what kind of terrain texture, skybox, light level, that sort of thing. Another bit determined the level-specific spell, because it turns out that you can't actually have more than one of the special unique spells in one level at a time. No using teleportation and armageddon at the same time.

[edit] Turns out there's a level editor these days, though. I don't know if it's any good, I haven't actually owned the game in a decade.

Cardiovorax fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Mar 27, 2014

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

Crosspeice posted:

Nope! Aside from wanting to be a god, there's nothing. We've seen one of three cutscenes this game has. Guess the Shaman can do short range reincarnation from planet to planet and once it's free of "bad mana" she can go to the next one, until only her tribe is left and she reigns supreme.

Wait, doesn't this mean we're probably the bad guys of this game? We know for a fact the blue tribe (does it even have a name) wants to genocide everyone else to become god, but we don't even know the other tribes want to do that. For all we know the Matak didn't even have a word for war before we showed up and started killing them. :(

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

ChaosSamusX posted:

Wait, doesn't this mean we're probably the bad guys of this game? We know for a fact the blue tribe (does it even have a name) wants to genocide everyone else to become god, but we don't even know the other tribes want to do that. For all we know the Matak didn't even have a word for war before we showed up and started killing them. :(

Of course we're the good guys. Those other guys are in our way, and refuse to die to let our Shaman become god. That makes those other guys evil. If you disagree, please stand at the bottom of that valley while The Great And Mighty Shaman warms up Her spells.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

It's pretty vague, so who knows if we're good or not. The blue (referred to in the game's coding as Player tribe and some fans call it the Ikani tribe) Shaman just wants to become a God. If we were any other tribe, the game wouldn't change at all. But since the tribes attack us most often, guess they want to stop us. Oh well.

Cardiovorax posted:

[edit] Turns out there's a level editor these days, though. I don't know if it's any good, I haven't actually owned the game in a decade.

Well, I'll have a poke around, but if not, there's other things I can do anyway.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Oh yeah, update. I'm busy this weekend, Level 12 on monday, probably.

Crosspeice fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Nov 17, 2014

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Chew on that... you overgrown son of a bitch.

A bit of a minor complaint, but could you start editing out the options menu stuff in every video? Otherwise, totally enjoying this. I played a little bit of this when I was younger, but all I really remember is the angel of death statue in the early stages. I'm more familiar with the Populous game that was on SNES, but just barely so.

thedaian
Dec 11, 2005

Blistering idiots.

liquidypoo posted:

A bit of a minor complaint, but could you start editing out the options menu stuff in every video?

Agreed, editing out the options menu stuff would be a good idea.

Flatten land is... not that great of a spell. Its effective range is fairly low, and its casting range is small. Erode is a better spell for causing the enemy settlements to sink into water, and land bridge is a lot better at creating new land or even flattening existing land to expand your own settlement area.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

thedaian posted:

Agreed, editing out the options menu stuff would be a good idea.

Flatten land is... not that great of a spell. Its effective range is fairly low, and its casting range is small. Erode is a better spell for causing the enemy settlements to sink into water, and land bridge is a lot better at creating new land or even flattening existing land to expand your own settlement area.
What it is great for is creating fortifications. A few casts of Flatten Land on top of one of those small hills that are everywhere will lock up canyons nicely and can even create a wall where Land Bridge would fail due to lack of a second hill to cast at. That's it's big advantage, really - it doesn't need a second target.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

I'll start editing it out, I didn't even think of it. :v:

And yeah, that's what flatten is good for, simply filling in the land altering options covered by the other spells. It ain't great, but its nice to have the option, I'll use it a couple times.

I'll also try and use all the spells fairly frequently. I kinda train all my braves as soon as the huts are done, to get levels over with, but charging spells is now drat important, especially now that our shaman is getting pretty strong. At least now I don't need to worry that I'm taking too long on a level, I can just edit it out! And I must, for levels get drat long regardless.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Say, one thing I never noticed you doing... are you aware that Braves create like twice or thrice as much mana when they're busy? If you have extra braves, it's really, really useful to make them dance around a bonfire, because they'll be way more productive than braves that are just standing around. I typically placed one right in the center of the Reincarnation Thingy. You are usually moving too fast to really exploit the advantages of spending some time building up your village, which I think is kind of a shame. With a little bit of editing you could do so and exploit spells a whole lot more, thanks to your higher mana income. Creative or simply abusive use of spells is really what makes this game.

Koboje
Sep 20, 2005

Quack
Speaking of trying to use all the spells, even the AI seems to dislike using Invisibility, i am not sure i have ever seen it used outside of that one level. Perhaps once or twice years ago, but if so never in an effective way. Which is a real shame as i can imagine some really nasty things they could pull on you if it had the smarts to say park a force of warriors and preachers near your stuff and wait until your shaman has walked off.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

I've only been doing the early levels quickly because there's not much too it, our Shaman isn't strong and our settlements don't need to be big to take out the enemy.

Now we have spells, the enemy has large settlements and we need followers to back us up. Heavy editing will still follow.

And the enemy will use Invisibility every now and then, but I'm glad they don't, it's really drat annoying to deal with, unless you see it coming (sometime it's really obvious).

Radio
Jul 25, 2003

Oh no, trash bear!
The game came out the same year as Starcraft, so it really speaks to the progress of real time strategy at that time. Much of the real entertainment came from using spells to light up and mutilate large swathes of land, and then killing your own tribe in the process. It blew my mind when I was 14, and then I revisited it and the solution to every map seems to be make 50 preachers.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

You can have a lot more than 50. :getin:

Four tribe face down!

Crosspeice fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Nov 17, 2014

100percentjesusfree
Mar 18, 2009

FOE! FOE!
100% FOE!
Thank you for LPing this game! I loved it as a kid, but only had the PSX version, and uh, rather sucked at it, so it's interesting to watch someone who actually knows what they're doing.

There's apparently an interesting bug/feature with Hypnotize, where if you cast it on some braves, then train them up into a warrior/priest/whatever before it wears off, they become permanently under your control. I also seem to remember there being one particularly fun use of that spell that levels out the ground - if you cast it on a really high spot in such a way that it would force about half of an enemy building up into the new height area, it just gets instantly destroyed. I THINK that was the case, anyway, it's been a very long time since I played.

One other thing, I seem to remember a spell you could access via cheating on the PSX version where it basically teleports your whole tribe, along with all the enemy tribes, into a big volcano-shaped arena, where they all just fight to the death. If you win, you win the level. Is that an actual spell, or was it just a thing you could get by cheating? (If this IS a thing, and it's a spoiler, I'll edit it out)

I also seem to remember a booming, over the top voice loudly announcing "You have been killed, Shaman!" every time you die, just to really rub your face in it, is that not a thing in the PC version?

100percentjesusfree fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Mar 31, 2014

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

100percentjesusfree posted:

One other thing, I seem to remember a spell you could access via cheating on the PSX version where it basically teleports your whole tribe, along with all the enemy tribes, into a big volcano-shaped arena, where they all just fight to the death. If you win, you win the level. Is that an actual spell, or was it just a thing you could get by cheating? (If this IS a thing, and it's a spoiler, I'll edit it out)
That is a thing (Future spell talk): That spell is called Armageddon. It shows up two times in the games and it does pretty much exactly what you describe.

I also seem to remember a booming, over the top voice loudly announcing "You have been killed, Shaman!" every time you die, just to really rub your face in it, is that not a thing in the PC version?
Never heard that on the PC version. It's still obvious when your Shaman dies though: She'll give a little yell and a big blue wave of mana appears on the screen.

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Mar 31, 2014

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Thank you for LPing this game! I loved it as a kid, but only had the PSX version, and uh, rather sucked at it, so it's interesting to watch someone who actually knows what they're doing.

There's apparently an interesting bug/feature with Hypnotize, where if you cast it on some braves, then train them up into a warrior/priest/whatever before it wears off, they become permanently under your control. I also seem to remember there being one particularly fun use of that spell that levels out the ground - if you cast it on a really high spot in such a way that it would force about half of an enemy building up into the new height area, it just gets instantly destroyed. I THINK that was the case, anyway, it's been a very long time since I played.

That is what actually happens, I talked about it when we first came across Hypnotize, but I probably won't be able to show it off. There are also a couple of glitches with Land Bridge and such, but I've never been able to pull them off.

quote:

The PS1 version came out about six months after the PC version and whilst heavily watered down, featured an excellent voice actor making all the levels that much easier to get through. :allears:

Nuramor
Dec 13, 2012

Would it be possible to put a swamp in the middle of the resurrection circle, so the enemy shaman dies the moment she spawns? Or can't you place anything there?

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Nuramor posted:

Would it be possible to put a swamp in the middle of the resurrection circle, so the enemy shaman dies the moment she spawns? Or can't you place anything there?
You can place a swamp there, however it will be removed when the enemy Shaman resurrects.
As Crosspeice said in the last episode, it's better to take advantage of the dumb AI and just place a swamp on the enemy Shaman's favorite hangout spot.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

When a Shaman first creates her site, she Flattens the land and Converts any wildmen. if you're lucky. If the land is changed in any way, upon reincarnation, the site will be re-Flattened, therefore, you can sink a site completely, but only until you kill the Shaman and any spells in the area (such as Swamp) will be removed. It also scares any enemies, similar to Swarm.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Disconnecting the reincarnation site from the surrounding terrain has a nearly 100% chance of locking the shaman up in there forever, though, because the AI is kinda dumb.

thedaian
Dec 11, 2005

Blistering idiots.

I also seem to remember there being one particularly fun use of that spell that levels out the ground - if you cast it on a really high spot in such a way that it would force about half of an enemy building up into the new height area, it just gets instantly destroyed. I THINK that was the case, anyway, it's been a very long time since I played.

You can do this with any land altering spell. If the height different of the four corners of a building gets too large, then the building just explodes into rubble. It's fun, but there's usually better/quicker spells that are more effective, not to mention your own warriors.

Cardiovorax posted:

Disconnecting the reincarnation site from the surrounding terrain has a nearly 100% chance of locking the shaman up in there forever, though, because the AI is kinda dumb.

The AI is kind of dumb is a pretty good theme for this game.

Actually it's mostly just heavily scripted. It'll focus a lot of attention on certain areas of land and will send wave after wave of units to specific points, which is one of the reasons swamp is such a useful and powerful spell. They don't change up their patrol patterns at all, so you can drop a swamp in the middle of their patrol and kill off their current army easily. Or you just drop a swamp on the enemy shaman's favourite hangout and keep getting free mana.

The levels are getting longer, but more fun. This is the point where you have a decent assortment of destruction spells and the AI is fairly weak that you can use the shaman almost exclusively to bring down the enemy settlements (though that takes a while)

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Up, up and away!

Crosspeice fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Nov 17, 2014

Nuramor
Dec 13, 2012

That large swarm of balloons of yours was very much a "Ride of the Valkyries" kind of situation. Just this massive airforce raining fire on everything.

thedaian
Dec 11, 2005

Blistering idiots.
Balloons are fun! They make it really easy to move your shaman around and get into the enemy settlements without risking as much from your own spells.

The next level is absolutely horrible unless you rush one of the enemy tribes. If you do that, though, it's fairly easy. And they let you have swamp back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

I love how the boat level is shortly followed by a level with an object that completely invalidates them.

• Locked thread