Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Oh yeah, I uploaded a vid on April Fools, guess my video was the joke! :v:

Anyway, we have all this cool stuff, let's play a level where we can hardly use any of it!

Ugggggggggh.

Crosspeice fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Nov 17, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tetrakarn
Nov 1, 2011
Um, have you thought that the free landbridge spell was supposed to level off the rocky area near your starting position so you can build more? (also flatten land, but that is later)

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Possibly, I don't really remember getting a free use before when playing the level, since I don't pray at the Stone Head. Like, ever. If I got it from the Stone Head, then getting two different spells from one head is something I've never come across. I also don't think I got it after the Matak shaman used Flatten, but I dunno.

But yeah, you can alter the land to the left, but there's a much more fun thing we can do, I'll be showing that off tomorrow, or so.

thedaian
Dec 11, 2005

Blistering idiots.

Crosspeice posted:

Possibly, I don't really remember getting a free use before when playing the level, since I don't pray at the Stone Head. Like, ever. If I got it from the Stone Head, then getting two different spells from one head is something I've never come across. I also don't think I got it after the Matak shaman used Flatten, but I dunno.

But yeah, you can alter the land to the left, but there's a much more fun thing we can do, I'll be showing that off tomorrow, or so.

Apparently the landbridge spell does come from the earthquake stone head. I'm pretty sure it's the only time in the entire game that you get two spells from one stone head.

This level is actually one of my favourites. If you rush the Matak early on, you can effectively build an easily defended, massive settlement on the plateau they're on. Then just build balloons and you can fly around the world with your shaman killing the rest of the enemies with your awesome spells.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

thedaian posted:

This level is actually one of my favourites. If you rush the Matak early on, you can effectively build an easily defended, massive settlement on the plateau they're on. Then just build balloons and you can fly around the world with your shaman killing the rest of the enemies with your awesome spells.

:ssh:

Since I had a break last week, here's a couple of methods for levels we've done.

Aww sweet, my other video was exported with none of my audio. How lovely. Have that up in just a few minutes.

Also, recently recorded Level 16. 1 hour, 20 mins. 54gb of video. Not looking forward to editing that. It won't be the last... (the later levels are rather long!)

Edit: There we go, here's some crazy guy doing something weird.

Crosspeice fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Nov 17, 2014

thedaian
Dec 11, 2005

Blistering idiots.
I've never tried the alternate method on From the Depths before, but it looks kind of fun.

The alternate method for Attacked From All Sides is pretty much the only way I've beaten the level. I tend to go all out with the settlement building (there's a ton of land up there), and spend a few hours on the level, killing the enemies with spells.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
I used to play this game on an old Gateway PC as a kid. I always got stuck on the sinking island level though, drat it. Recently I replayed the whole thing, down to the secret level, and it was great. My favorite thing is just screwing around with terraforming (and adding lakes to other tribes' settlements).

I've seen that Reprisal game is kind of a cutesy, isometric version of this--any plans to LP that game sometime in the future, OP?

I think someone earlier mentioned that swamp is permanent--it's not. I think there's even a tooltip to indicate how many more units must die before the swamp effect ends. Maybe I missed a mention of this in the videos. :ohdear:

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

I think I mention it kills ten guys, but maybe not that it disappears after. It's still broken and that's what I love.

And I have heard about Reprisal and I can see the ripoff homage to this game, but it's not something I'm interested in, sorry. :)

thedaian posted:

The alternate method for Attacked From All Sides is pretty much the only way I've beaten the level. I tend to go all out with the settlement building (there's a ton of land up there), and spend a few hours on the level, killing the enemies with spells.

That's how I used to do it and how I would recommend doing it, since the "normal" way is not fun, at all.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
Swamp is great, no debate there! Making a little land bridge and then smacking the Dakini shaman with it each time she crossed is a treasured memory. (And then all my braves would run across it to cut down a tiny sapling. Why?!)

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

~AI~, that's why.

(with DirtyDeedsDone)

Crosspeice fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Nov 17, 2014

thedaian
Dec 11, 2005

Blistering idiots.
For me, this is one of the more annoying levels. Mostly because the chance of failure is pretty high. There's not as much time as the other limited levels, and it's possible to fail while you're attacking the prison.

Though casting Volcano at the end is a nice bit of catharsis.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

I've definitely gotten a lot better at Incarcerated, I too came up to the time limit more than once. You need to be fairly quick, but you still get quite a bit of time.

Now at the moment I'm editing the monster that is Level 16 and in quite a few instances, I just dither and watch the enemy tribes attacking each other, because watching two AI players butt heads is always hilarious, but how much do you guys care about that kinda thing? There are some fairly "the fuuuuuuck?" moments that I'll be keeping in, I'm just curious as to what extent people will be interested in.

thedaian
Dec 11, 2005

Blistering idiots.

Crosspeice posted:

Now at the moment I'm editing the monster that is Level 16 and in quite a few instances, I just dither and watch the enemy tribes attacking each other, because watching two AI players butt heads is always hilarious, but how much do you guys care about that kinda thing? There are some fairly "the fuuuuuuck?" moments that I'll be keeping in, I'm just curious as to what extent people will be interested in.

I think keeping some of it in is a good idea, because we really haven't seen much/any of the AI vs AI fights that can happen. But I think the biggest thing would be to keep the videos around 20-30 minutes long, and editing the level so that the people watching can see what you're doing over the course of it. If there's extra time for showing off the AI fights, then all the better.

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

Before I do anything, I think, well what hasn't been seen. Sometimes, that turns out to be something ghastly and not fit for society. And sometimes that inspiration becomes something that's really worthwhile.
Well now I feel like an idiot. I always waited until I had a huge force before going for the shaman, which made the timer come down to the wire. Never considered sending warriors early to knock out the towers :doh:

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Phelddagrif posted:

Well now I feel like an idiot. I always waited until I had a huge force before going for the shaman, which made the timer come down to the wire. Never considered sending warriors early to knock out the towers :doh:

Don't worry, I did that too! I was definitely rushing at the start, especially for the alternate method, which I'm still surprised worked.

And after cutting down Level 16, it'll be around 40 mins, but a lot happens in this level, even if I don't do too too much, it's still half the length the original video is!

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
It must feel pretty boss to unleash a volcano on your enemies.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Every time.

There will be a video up today, I've been ill all weekend, so I haven't been able to commentate over the four videos I have ready, because the worse illness you can get is a cold when you want to talk and not sneeze every five seconds. At least I can still edit and stuff, so I'm quite far ahead in that aspect.

Bah.

thedaian
Dec 11, 2005

Blistering idiots.

Crosspeice posted:

At least I can still edit and stuff, so I'm quite far ahead in that aspect.

That helps at least.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

And here's the big one!

Have a pleasant evening listening to the ramblings of two dumb guys.

Crosspeice fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Nov 17, 2014

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

And now the game truly gets interesting, once it's 60% underway.

thedaian
Dec 11, 2005

Blistering idiots.
The enemy fighting the enemy is a lot of fun. Mostly because it results in both sides becoming weaker, and also because it means they're not attacking you. Also the AI is pretty terrible, so it just ends up resulting in a round of spells and a few deaths.

Congrats on an effective use of erode this time around.

These are the levels that are fun. Fighting all three tribes does take longer, but the music is so wonderful and the game is honestly pretty beautiful that it's fun to just zoom around the world looking at everything.

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

Before I do anything, I think, well what hasn't been seen. Sometimes, that turns out to be something ghastly and not fit for society. And sometimes that inspiration becomes something that's really worthwhile.
The best way, I find, to deal with shielded enemies in balloons is with Hypnosis. Isn't reflected off, instantly dismounts them, and if they're over water they drown.

As for Tornado, the AI for that spell is kind of weird. If you cast it on a building while out of range, it often won't hit properly after the shaman moves in. If you move the shaman into range before casting, it destroys the building pretty much every time.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

ChaosSamusX posted:

And now the game truly gets interesting, once it's 60% underway.

This has been the levels I've been looking forward to, now that we're given all the tools to destroy tribes. But getting all those tools was still interesting, I believe. But it takes a while for the difficulty to increase, definitely.

thedaian posted:

These are the levels that are fun. Fighting all three tribes does take longer, but the music is so wonderful and the game is honestly pretty beautiful that it's fun to just zoom around the world looking at everything.

100 minutes of dry, barren desert. And I enjoyed all of it.

Phelddagrif posted:

The best way, I find, to deal with shielded enemies in balloons is with Hypnosis. Isn't reflected off, instantly dismounts them, and if they're over water they drown.

I've honestly never thought of that, seems I assumed Hypnosis was reflected and barely used it, guess it's more useful then I thought. I'll still use Swamp for ground based enemies, but it'll be useful in some future levels, definitely.

Oh yeah, here's a video, whilst I'm here.

It's time to [thread tag]!

Crosspeice fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Nov 17, 2014

Radio
Jul 25, 2003

Oh no, trash bear!
Please do all nine of OliveBranch's challenges when you do Head Hunter.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Uhhhhh... bonus content! Yeah. My actual run of Head Hunter went moderately well, I believe. It'll be up tomorrow.

thedaian
Dec 11, 2005

Blistering idiots.

Crosspeice posted:

Oh yeah, here's a video, whilst I'm here.

It's time to [thread tag]!

This is potentially a pretty easy level, you kind of got screwed with the AI deciding to focus it's attacks on you. My usual strategy is to block myself off with swamps and just build a massive force, then take out each tribe one by one. I don't even bother with Armageddon. The AI will fight amongst itself fairly well over the centre stone head, and it's rare that one of them will actually get the spell. One of the later levels will always end up with a casting of Armageddon though.

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

thedaian posted:

This is potentially a pretty easy level, you kind of got screwed with the AI deciding to focus it's attacks on you. My usual strategy is to block myself off with swamps and just build a massive force, then take out each tribe one by one. I don't even bother with Armageddon. The AI will fight amongst itself fairly well over the centre stone head, and it's rare that one of them will actually get the spell. One of the later levels will always end up with a casting of Armageddon though.

I do the same thing, I just take it one step further and Erode away two of the three land routes to my base, funneling all attackers into Swamp alley.

Edwhirl
Jul 27, 2007

Cats are the best.
The first time I played the game and got to this level, I think I ended up eroding everything and using flatten to make more land, and ended up with over... a hundred followers, I think? I made them all into warriors and firewarriors and it was great when someone finally cast Armageddon.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

I'll be showing off the land shaping in the kind of alternate method but not really video soon enough, but this level is great to play around in. You get so much resources and land and mess around with the tribes that it's fantastic, this is one of my favorite levels, for sure.

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

Oh hey, someone else picked up the torch I dropped LPing this game. Will you be doing Undiscovered Worlds as well?

Radio posted:

Please do all nine of OliveBranch's challenges when you do Head Hunter.
Casting a tornado on myself when an enemy shaman died and having to turn off the computer when I died on that level was a fun combination.

Edit: Monitor, not computer.

Olive Branch fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Apr 20, 2014

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Olive Branch posted:

Oh hey, someone else picked up the torch I dropped LPing this game. Will you be doing Undiscovered Worlds as well?

Yep, I haven't played it as much as the main game, but it'll be in the same style as the main game. I'll even attempt some multiplayer if I can get it to work.

quote:

Casting a tornado on myself when an enemy shaman died and having to turn off the computer when I died on that level was a fun combination.

I found your LP a few vids after I started mine and I'm quite glad I didn't think of doing challenges, or having a popular enough thread for people to suggest challenges. :v:

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.
How did I miss this? I remember buying the game many years ago but I know I didn't get far within it. It's probably been about 15 years since I even touched the disc. I've a lot of catching up to do!

thedaian
Dec 11, 2005

Blistering idiots.
For what it's worth, Populous (with the expansion) is on sale this weekend on gog.com I ended up buying it because I don't know where my disk version is, and I haven't played any of the expansion.

I managed to rush through the first 10 levels quite quickly, including doing an "alternate" method for From the Depths. Beat it in 10 minutes. Mostly due to rushing with the starting priests and converting the fairly small set of enemy forces on the "first" island, and charging into the rest.

I also managed to cast Earthquake then fall into the water when the earth opened up. That was even more fun.

brb on fire
May 12, 2013
Jesus, how long ago did I play this game? 10 years ago? 12? 13? I feel really old now... Thanks for the kick up the proverbial backside of my childhood, Crosspiece. I'll be watching this LP to the end. And buying this game again.

This last level, though. Oh god this last level. I remember playing Middle Ground for HOURS just watching the AI punching the poo poo out of itself. Although I swear blind at one point that the Matak shaman hopped in a boat, sailed over to the coast behind my settlement and shoved a volcano directly up my tribes' collective rear end. I dunno, maybe I was misremembering. Hey, got me to finish the level at least.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Well considering I'm currently visiting family and sitting in the room that used to house the Windows 98 computer that I played this game for hours upon hours, makes me think it was around 10, 12 years ago. My word.

And as I'll show in the alternatives, if you close the level off too much, then the enemy finds ways around it, including using boats and balloons. Aside from the Dakini, they just throw all their Braves at things until it falls over.

thedaian posted:

For what it's worth, Populous (with the expansion) is on sale this weekend on gog.com I ended up buying it because I don't know where my disk version is, and I haven't played any of the expansion.

I managed to rush through the first 10 levels quite quickly, including doing an "alternate" method for From the Depths. Beat it in 10 minutes. Mostly due to rushing with the starting priests and converting the fairly small set of enemy forces on the "first" island, and charging into the rest.

I also managed to cast Earthquake then fall into the water when the earth opened up. That was even more fun.

Ah, didn't realize you could get it on gog, everyone go buy it, it's lots of fun!

And was that just heading straight for the Matak settlement right at the start? I could see how that would work, I'll have to try it.

thedaian
Dec 11, 2005

Blistering idiots.

Crosspeice posted:

And was that just heading straight for the Matak settlement right at the start? I could see how that would work, I'll have to try it.

Yeah, basically. Still have to make some firewarriors to kill the enemy shaman, but it was actually pretty quick and easy.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

I'll probably mention it when I revisit the level a couple times in the bonus videos.

For now, let's keep on trucking, to a cold, lifeless world.

Crosspeice fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Nov 17, 2014

H2Omelon
Aug 31, 2009

Crosspeice posted:

I'll probably mention it when I revisit the level a couple times in the bonus videos.

For now, let's keep on trucking, to a cold, lifeless world.

During the video you mentioned that building things was slow, but close by just over the water there was a piece of land that was covered with trees. It might be the land mass that the yellow tribe are on but would it have helped to land bridge over to it?

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

I wasn't being too descriptive, but in some levels, when Braves are repairing buildings, they hammer away for minutes at a time and only collect wood after an annoyingly long time. I'm not sure what causes it, but it sure is annoying.

You can go over to the tree patch, but it's another way for the Dakini to attack you, it gets kinda annoying and it's not really worth it, since you have enough wood anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

Crosspeice posted:

I wasn't being too descriptive, but in some levels, when Braves are repairing buildings, they hammer away for minutes at a time and only collect wood after an annoyingly long time. I'm not sure what causes it, but it sure is annoying.

From my experience, all that hammering does absolutely nothing at all. Instead, buildings have a cool-down timer, during which they cannot be repaired. Once that timer ends, any Braves sent to repair will immediately gather wood.

• Locked thread