Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Capt Murphy
Nov 16, 2005

Thinking something like this in the Dome? Meh I'm under the impression fielding isn't useful unless it's A/A+.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NutShellBill
Dec 4, 2004
I AM SPUTNIK'S PARACHUTE ACCOUNT

Capt Murphy posted:

Thinking something like this in the Dome? Meh I'm under the impression fielding isn't useful unless it's A/A+.

Fielding is a mixed bag. It's hard to gauge it's effectiveness via box scores, and even stats, because all it really registers is Plus, Minus, and ++ Plays by your fielders IIRC.

That being said, you more or less want good fielding in What if Sports where you'd want it in real life.

C: Generally I go for a B arm or better. If I can't get that, I draft a late inning defensive replacement.

1B: This is where you can hide a masher. D is a plus here.

2B: Unless I'm getting something special here, I make at least a C+/C+ guy a necessity, and I want better.

SS: The better your glove, the more value you have, in my mind. I will absolutely throw down an extra million for an A/A here.

3B: A luxury again. D/D is fine here, especially if your SS is a glove guy. More important than first if only because more hitters are right handed.

LF: Should be adequate, depending on the park. I never go below C+/C+ here.

CF: The SS of the outfield, you need a guy who covers ground, and does it well. Another position I will pay extra for D.

RF: Stick your Cansecos and Manny Ramirezes here.

I'm sure the experts can go into much better detail, and even correct me, but this is what I've found to be true, and more or less based on baseball logic.

NutShellBill
Dec 4, 2004
I AM SPUTNIK'S PARACHUTE ACCOUNT
My Necromancer:

1992 St. Louis Cardinal Bob Tewksbury

His Zombie:

1948 St. Louis Cardinal Stan Musial (Died 2013)

Time to bet it all on one player!

For those looking for a comprehensive list of zombies:

http://www.baseball-almanac.com/players/baseball_deaths.php

Morose, but handy.

The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

Out beyond winning and losing, there is a field.

I will meet you there.
If I'm reading this right, the other 23 players on our roster that aren't necromancer/zombie can be from any team, 1989-present?

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

:siren:Caught Cubs Posting:siren:
How many are we waiting for here? I haven't built my team yet but I thought of a really stupid team name so I want this to get going.

saffi faildotter
Mar 2, 2007

I'm still all built and ready to go

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, there's plenty of other balls in the sea. Plus, you're not very talented.

Devo posted:

How many are we waiting for here? I haven't built my team yet but I thought of a really stupid team name so I want this to get going.

I've been trying to wrangle up some people for the last few spots but preparing to move this weekend has taken up way too much of my time. Things will settle down for me after the weekend, though.

Moving two times in three months: fun.

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe

Devo posted:

I just got home from surgery, so I should have my team built here in the next few days.

Pumpkin McPastry
Mar 8, 2004

What else do I have to do to impress you people?

EvilBeard posted:

I just got home from surgery, so I should have my team built here in the next few days.

Wishing you the best of luck, dude.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Hey gang, I'm alive. I'm hopefully done with all the craziness of new jobs and moving and all that fun bullshit so now I can try and get some wheels on the ground here. I've posted in N/V to see if anybody new wants to join in and sent out some feelers to some past owners, hopefully we can get things rolling here shortly.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Sure, I will play. Gotta be easier than the super league...

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

So...what do I need to know about team building in WiS vs. Baseball Mogul?

gardenald
Jul 23, 2007

In the end, it comes down to throwing one pitch after another, and seeing what happens. With each new consequence, the game begins to take shape.
The biggest difference is that where you look at a guy's career arc in bbm, individual seasons are what really matter in wis. Howard Johnson was kind of a mediocre player, but his 1989 season in wis provides a ton of value relative to his cost. Players like this are called cookies because just about every non-gimmick open league team has the same cookie-cutter rosters. Still, there's a reason everybody uses them: they're unnoticed in the sim. One other bit of advice, decide on what kind of team you're going to have (doubles, dingers, triples, steals) and then construct your lineup, pitching staff, and choose your park based on that. Wis lets you specialize a lot easier than bbm does, and if you don't have a specialized team you'll be at a disadvantage.

When I get home and I'm not phone posting I'll be happy to go more in depth but those are some basic thoughts.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Thanks.

So rick ankiel 2000 would be viable, then? Or that one ridiculous Brady Anderson year?

Can a player play out of position if they know how later or earlier in their career? Like, could 2014 joe mauer catch even though he won't have an inning behind the plate this year?

FairGame fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Apr 18, 2014

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

'96 Brady is pretty good but he's also very expensive because his defense pumps up his price, without actually being *that* good defensively.

2000 Ankiel is kind of viable at a lower cap. This league would not be low enough of a cap.

gardenald
Jul 23, 2007

In the end, it comes down to throwing one pitch after another, and seeing what happens. With each new consequence, the game begins to take shape.

FairGame posted:

Thanks.

So rick ankiel 2000 would be viable, then? Or that one ridiculous Brady Anderson year?

Well, it's all about value relative to cost. All the players are era-normalized, as well, and the normalization isn't perfect. Players in an extreme era (say, the pitching heavy 60s or dinger heavy late 90s) tend to normalize badly. Looking at a player's performance history is definitely going to be your friend. But in general, yeah, the philosophy is sound.

For example, 1979 Dave Kingman is one of my absolute favorite players to use on any dingers team I have. I can stick him at first where he'll be a butcher, but he gets on base at an acceptably bad clip and he'll hit 40 bombs in a home run park easy. I think I had one team where I got him up to like 75 homers in Atlanta Fulton County. And he is dirt cheap, which frees up more money to spend on an elite player at a more demanding position.

angrygodofjebus
Aug 25, 2005

Drink it up and hunker down
New blood be damned, I'm in

Zamboni Jesus
Jul 3, 2007

We don't really care about what that bug-eyed fat walrus has to say
the most important thing is to set advance search

gyroball
Jul 29, 2003

Fortunately, the people found a mighty Rosenthal, called Trevor.

I won't let this die; let me in

Atheistdeals.com
Aug 2, 2004

I didn't think I'd get back from my extended trip before this filled up. How convenient for me!

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

I'm so rusty on regular sim leagues with AAA that I don't actually know if this is viable or not. It's basically built around good defense, seeing a ton of pitches, and letting Sir Barrold hit dingers. Oh yeah and double zombie because I can. I present:

Yer a wizard, Barry! (first draft)

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

I'm trying to play around with the 10-game season free thing to get a sense of things.

Are not all players available? I'm searching for a player by last name, but it's giving me random seasons by that player--and not the one that I want.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

FairGame posted:

I'm trying to play around with the 10-game season free thing to get a sense of things.

Are not all players available? I'm searching for a player by last name, but it's giving me random seasons by that player--and not the one that I want.

Who are you looking for? Everyone from 1886-2013 with at least 50 PA or 25 IP should be available.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Devo posted:

Who are you looking for? Everyone from 1886-2013 with at least 50 PA or 25 IP should be available.

1993 Gregg Jefferies, who I was eventually able to find using the 1993 Cardinals as a filter.

Then I didn't bother with him because I thought he'd be cheaper than a legitimately good 1b.

Ivan Drago
Jan 17, 2003

Sometimes you need to set "min games at position" to 0 in order to see them if they were the type of player who moved around the field and didn't have many PA in a particular season.

E: this is not the case for Jefferies, but will have you pulling your hair out on other players at times.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

Yeah the '93 version shows up at the top of my list when using my generic S25 search and sorting by OBP#

He seems pretty drat expensive for what he does though.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

He's expensive but 93 Jefferies is actually one of the most notorious open league/ToC cookies

Check out all those uses in his performance history

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

With all those singles and that speed I can see why, but man that's a lot of $/PA for someone who doesn't mash.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Is there a good source for historical park factors? I can see single seasons on ESPN, but I figure a single seasons isn't an adequate sample size.

If it helps, I want to surpress the poo poo out of dingers and have a good quality infield for top-notch defensive infielders. My outfielders don't have much in the way of range.

I have not selected a zombie/necromancer pairing yet, so any ballpark is fair game.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

In the sim, OF range is enormously valuable. A set of 3 extremely good ranged outfielders can save you over 100 hits in a season (many of those being doubles or triples). Infield defense has comparatively less value. Especially 1B.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

FairGame posted:

Is there a good source for historical park factors?

Here's how every park in the game plays http://www.whatifsports.com/mlb-l/ballparks.asp?lid=1

toadee posted:

In the sim, OF range is enormously valuable. A set of 3 extremely good ranged outfielders can save you over 100 hits in a season (many of those being doubles or triples). Infield defense has comparatively less value. Especially 1B.

You can skimp much more in the corners, however. An A+ range guy in RF isn't going to net you much more than a B+ range guy. CF it's an enormous difference, though.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

I actually haven't seen much difference between LF and CF. RF yes, in fact I have a script that swaps corner OF depending on the lineup of the opposing team Im set to play, but even if you just go with 'most people are pull righties', then the LF will generall see 20-30 + plays while my CF would see like 30-40. RF would be down into the teens and it's less important for sure.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Obviously there's not much data here, but just as a quick and dirty look, here are the top ten LFers from the most recent Rule V leg, their range and their + play output. Everyone here had between 1,380 and 1,450 innings played.

code:
Player                 Range (RRF)      + Plays
1990 Lenny Dykstra     A+ (3.00)        21
2003 Carlos Beltran    A+ (2.98)        14
2004 Ichiro Suzuki     A- (2.56)        13
1979 Fred Lynn         A- (2.59)        13
1979 Dave Winfield     B- (2.22)        13
2004 Jim Edmonds       B  (2.38)        10
2013 Mike Trout        B+ (2.51)        10
2006 Jermaine Dye      C+ (2.17)        9
2001 Sammy Sosa        C+ (2.15)        7
2000 Jason Giambi      A  (10.52) [1B]  6
LF defense is just too erratic. I'm not going to pay extra for top tier defense in LF when I can get similar production to a near A+++ Beltran out of a B- Dave Winfield, unless the best overall player available to me happens to have that good of range.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

Who was that Phillies team playing in CF that they shoved Dykstra in left?

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Devo posted:

Who was that Phillies team playing in CF that they shoved Dykstra in left?

76 Garry Maddox, who is as good as Dykstra.

Naturally he also drafted 87 Eric Davis, the best of the bunch, and stuck him in RF, sooooo

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Is there any advantage to having leftover money, or should we aim to hit as close to 95mm as possible?

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

AlleyViper posted:

76 Garry Maddox, who is as good as Dykstra.

Naturally he also drafted 87 Eric Davis, the best of the bunch, and stuck him in RF, sooooo

No Abreu Phillies make me sad :(

Bob Shabazz
Oct 21, 2008

At 12:17 a.m. MU police spotted Mauk, 19, run a stop sign while driving his scooter east on Kentucky Boulevard - with two female passengers on board.

AlleyViper posted:

Obviously there's not much data here, but just as a quick and dirty look, here are the top ten LFers from the most recent Rule V leg, their range and their + play output. Everyone here had between 1,380 and 1,450 innings played.

code:
Player                 Range (RRF)      + Plays
1990 Lenny Dykstra     A+ (3.00)        21
2003 Carlos Beltran    A+ (2.98)        14
2004 Ichiro Suzuki     A- (2.56)        13
1979 Fred Lynn         A- (2.59)        13
1979 Dave Winfield     B- (2.22)        13
2004 Jim Edmonds       B  (2.38)        10
2013 Mike Trout        B+ (2.51)        10
2006 Jermaine Dye      C+ (2.17)        9
2001 Sammy Sosa        C+ (2.15)        7
2000 Jason Giambi      A  (10.52) [1B]  6
LF defense is just too erratic. I'm not going to pay extra for top tier defense in LF when I can get similar production to a near A+++ Beltran out of a B- Dave Winfield, unless the best overall player available to me happens to have that good of range.

Hell yeah that's my Giambi.

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET
Think I'm going to go with some variation of this:

Drysdale as the zombie and Kershaw as the necro. Not sure I like the offense in Dodger Stadium, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

FairGame posted:

Is there any advantage to having leftover money, or should we aim to hit as close to 95mm as possible?

No, you should maximize every dollar you can.

• Locked thread