Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

Out beyond winning and losing, there is a field.

I will meet you there.
yay its starting tonight at 10:30 p.m. PST

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

I never got clarification on who my necromancer needed to be since I'm using a KC Athletic as my zombie, and have both a KC Royal (Beltran) and Oakland Athletic (Henderson) on the roster.

I don't care which one, just lemme know.

Bob Shabazz
Oct 21, 2008

At 12:17 a.m. MU police spotted Mauk, 19, run a stop sign while driving his scooter east on Kentucky Boulevard - with two female passengers on board.
It's tied to franchise, not location, so it'd be Rickey.

angrygodofjebus
Aug 25, 2005

Drink it up and hunker down
Looks like my first game of the season will have my '94 Cone pitching against gyroball's '94 Cone. That's pretty good.

Also I think I'm going to switch my rotation so it's Mussina vs. Mussina in game 2. We almost had '05 Johan vs. '05 Johan in game 3, too. So I guess we took very similar starters!

angrygodofjebus fucked around with this message at 00:10 on May 20, 2014

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

So...we've started.

What do I do?

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

:siren:Caught Cubs Posting:siren:

FairGame posted:

So...we've started.

What do I do?

The most important thing is to set your pitch counts if you haven't already. The default settings are absolute garbage and will torch your squad if let to roam free. Go to each player's card and check their IP/G for that season. I usually like to use about 15 or 16 pitches per inning as my target unless I have a reason not to.

Also if you put any 200k garbage players on your roster now is the time to bring up your AAA guys and sit the trash.

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

"World Champions. WORLD FUCKING CHAMPIONS." - Chase Utley, October 31, 2008; Broad Street, Philadelphia, PA
ugh my AAA trash is still trash

anybody get lucky with it?

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

Edgar Martinez is a sex machine. We should do DH leagues more often.

Capt Murphy
Nov 16, 2005

Devo posted:

This is a true statement.

Ivan Drago
Jan 17, 2003

Devo posted:

Despite you sweeping me, my Edgar is equally awesome.

ManifunkDestiny
Aug 2, 2005
THE ONLY THING BETTER THAN THE SEAHAWKS IS RUSSELL WILSON'S TAINT SWEAT

Seahawks #1 fan since 2014.
I am in love with Quilvio Veras and his .200/.485/.200 line with 8 steals thus far.

A walks and steals gimmick team is kinda fun, 3 games in

Zamboni Jesus
Jul 3, 2007

We don't really care about what that bug-eyed fat walrus has to say

Devo posted:

The most important thing is to set your pitch counts if you haven't already. The default settings are absolute garbage and will torch your squad if let to roam free. Go to each player's card and check their IP/G for that season. I usually like to use about 15 or 16 pitches per inning as my target unless I have a reason not to.

Also if you put any 200k garbage players on your roster now is the time to bring up your AAA guys and sit the trash.

i also usually set my starters pitch count for really low for the first time through the rotation and then to what i want it to be for the season after that. also make sure to set your batting order and your player hierarchy and positions because sometimes it defaults to weird things that you don't want.

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

"World Champions. WORLD FUCKING CHAMPIONS." - Chase Utley, October 31, 2008; Broad Street, Philadelphia, PA
6 games into the season, I have the worst home/overall OPS, and the 3rd-best ERA/7th-best OAV

I've also allowed the most homers, and 4 in 29 IP at home?? :confused:

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, there's plenty of other balls in the sea. Plus, you're not very talented.
Just want to put a casual reminder out there that any waiver wire moves have to fall within the construct of the theme, so only players from the last 25 seasons, and you can't cut your zombie or necromancer. If an illegal roster move is made it will cost you a playoff spot (which is not looking like a problem for me at the moment!)

The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

I will meet you there.
i love fake baseball.

fake baseball, i have missed you.

The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

I will meet you there.
truly, yours is a fake baseball that won't quit.

gardenald
Jul 23, 2007

In the end, it comes down to throwing one pitch after another, and seeing what happens. With each new consequence, the game begins to take shape.

AlleyViper posted:

Just want to put a casual reminder out there that any waiver wire moves have to fall within the construct of the theme, so only players from the last 25 seasons, and you can't cut your zombie or necromancer. If an illegal roster move is made it will cost you a playoff spot (which is not looking like a problem for me at the moment!)

Welp good thing I wasn't making the playoffs anyhow

e: I have removed the offender but he pitched one inning

gardenald fucked around with this message at 15:38 on May 22, 2014

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

I am scoring ALL OF THE RUNS so far

...but my position players are going to run out of PAs like 110 games into the season at the rate I'm scoring.

How common is it for newcomers to WiS to rip off amazing records for the first 4 months of the season and then just completely tank due to poor roster planning where everyone's gassed the last 2 months?

Because I think that's me.

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

FairGame posted:

...but my position players are going to run out of PAs like 110 games into the season at the rate I'm scoring.

How common is it for newcomers to WiS to rip off amazing records for the first 4 months of the season and then just completely tank due to poor roster planning where everyone's gassed the last 2 months?

It's worth noting that DAMP is in effect for the first 15 games. Someone else could explain it better than me but it basically screws up fatigue because it's based on a per-game rate of PA and IP.

The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

I will meet you there.
Kevin Mitchell owns, luis castillo owns

The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

I will meet you there.

FairGame posted:

what uublog said. Also, use your AAA players wisely if you don't have enough PAs, but if you have 6000, you should have enough. After [DAMP] wears off, playing your players below 85 percent gets exponentially worse and it gets harder for them to recover.

The broken bones fucked around with this message at 19:48 on May 22, 2014

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

The broken bones posted:

Kevin Mitchell owns, luis castillo owns

no they don't they are very bad men

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, there's plenty of other balls in the sea. Plus, you're not very talented.

gardenald posted:

e: I have removed the offender but he pitched one inning

Yeah that's no big deal.

gardenald
Jul 23, 2007

In the end, it comes down to throwing one pitch after another, and seeing what happens. With each new consequence, the game begins to take shape.

AlleyViper posted:

Yeah that's no big deal.

Especially since it was a poo poo inning where he gave up the tying run in what was eventually a one run loss

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

I have three infielders with A+ range who have already made two errors in ten games. I also have the second-worst offense in the league (thanks, AV!) and my zombie is starting the season like complete dogshit (12.56 ERA, .417 OAV). I hate this game I want to die. :smithicide:

Zamboni Jesus
Jul 3, 2007

We don't really care about what that bug-eyed fat walrus has to say
i know some are big proponents of elite defense, but i feel like the sim over-charges for it and i'd rather just have adequate defense and spend the extra money on offense

Pumpkin McPastry
Mar 8, 2004

What else do I have to do to impress you people?

AlleyViper posted:

I assume AAA players don't fall under this "last 25 seasons" rule?

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

Pumpkin McPastry posted:

I assume AAA players don't fall under this "last 25 seasons" rule?

AAA players are technically 2014s ;)

gardenald
Jul 23, 2007

Well now, my pitching staff dropped into stamina hell quickly. I blame my starters, none of whom have an ERA south of 6. Thanks, Obama!

saffi faildotter
Mar 2, 2007

http://www.whatifsports.com/slb/Boxscore.aspx?gid=22449825&pid=1&pbp=0&tf=10

:getin:

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

aw come on don't do that to the new guy :(

uublog fucked around with this message at 17:51 on May 23, 2014

ManifunkDestiny
Aug 2, 2005
THE ONLY THING BETTER THAN THE SEAHAWKS IS RUSSELL WILSON'S TAINT SWEAT

Seahawks #1 fan since 2014.
Won 6 in a row and then immediately lost 4 in a row.

WIS is a fickle mistress.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Had a 4 run lead in the bottom of the 9th with 2 out and nobody on.

Lost the game.

What an odd sim.

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET
I was going to brag about how good my pitching was then I gave up 13 runs to AV's near league worst offense. :shepface:

saffi faildotter
Mar 2, 2007

FairGame posted:

Had a 4 run lead in the bottom of the 9th with 2 out and nobody on.

Lost the game.

What an odd sim.

to be fair, the two outs were the 8 and 9 hitters in my lineup, and wagner didn't get pulled until 29 pitches in - it's possible he's throwing too many and getting hella fatigued, which is why he was bad

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

Oh hi there Nolan

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

I knew the answer question to tonight's Final Jeopardy answer because of this theme. what :what:

(It mentioned Don Drysdale)

Capt Murphy
Nov 16, 2005

Thinking I cut it too close with PAs and IPs but it's been fun to watch so far!

angrygodofjebus
Aug 25, 2005

Drink it up and hunker down
OK so maybe I'm just dumb and missing something, but 15 games into this season not a single one of my bench players has taken a single AB. I've never had this problem before, is there some stupid setting I'm missing?

For example I was down 9-2 after six innings and I have the "Rest players if losing by 5 or more runs in the
7th or later" box checked. My starters still took every AB. Same thing in a game when I was up 11-2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

Did you change your player rest hierarchies after bringing up your AAA guys? There might be a whole bunch of empty spots there.

• Locked thread