Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

I did like how the sakura blossoms clued you into the whole using human bodies to sustain something beautiful thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

A gorgeous episode, sharply contrasting with the sheer horror of what was going on. Eight generations of serial killers. Hell, if Saho took that long to grow, did they need to find her appropriate bodies--- :stare:

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Traveller posted:

A gorgeous episode, sharply contrasting with the sheer horror of what was going on. Eight generations of serial killers. Hell, if Saho took that long to grow, did they need to find her appropriate bodies--- :stare:
I'm going to go with "she didn't seem to deteriorate until she was fully grown" because the alternative is, well, yeah.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.
I do like it when this show veers off into darker territory with a genuine villain like this. I wouldn't want it for every episode, but I enjoy the occasional story like this or Those Who Inhale the Dew where you can say "yeah, this guy's a pretty bad guy."

I'm not totally sure I get the ending, though. Saho dies and the kodama inside her return to the tree so it starts blooming again? That about right?

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
I think the tree survived the fire and was able to eventually bloom again without the Kodama. I think it's just that old trees are the ones that attract Kodama.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I thought that was all the mushi in the tree going "oh god fire evacuate evacuate."

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
I'm referring to the post-fire bloom of actual petals with the two traveling guys, not the one of the Kodama foam fleeing the flames.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Neeksy posted:

I'm referring to the post-fire bloom of actual petals with the two traveling guys, not the one of the Kodama foam fleeing the flames.
I saw it as a contrast to what happened to the woman. Ginko warned that if he took the mushi out of her, she might not have any life left, which is what happened as she shriveled up. Conversely even without the life-extending mushi in it the tree was able bloom on its own once again.

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

On further reflection, I think I figured out the "human" theme of this episode.

Euthanasia.
You have someone living a wretched existence, prolonged in unnatural fashion by relatives that can't bear to let her go. We see Saho cry out for Mansaku to stop: she doesn't want to go on like this, and perhaps she never did, but she is powerless to stop the gardeners from giving her new bodies over and over again. Their sin isn't just murdering all those people, but forcing her to "live" not for her sake, but their own.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Oh, that's pretty good! It certainly fits.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Traveller posted:

On further reflection, I think I figured out the "human" theme of this episode.

Euthanasia.
You have someone living a wretched existence, prolonged in unnatural fashion by relatives that can't bear to let her go. We see Saho cry out for Mansaku to stop: she doesn't want to go on like this, and perhaps she never did, but she is powerless to stop the gardeners from giving her new bodies over and over again. Their sin isn't just murdering all those people, but forcing her to "live" not for her sake, but their own.

Yep, it's this. But it's taking the easy route by making the cost for it so high. Still agree anyways.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
That was a really good episode, yeah. They're really just knocking it continually out of the park this season :stare:

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

Really great episode. I was quite shocked when Ginko burned that house down. Pretty sure we only lost documentation of horrible experiments and nothing of particular value.
I wonder what the special episode will be? The VAs prancing through the countryside that inspired the artists?

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
I don't know who bought that banner ad for this show but thanks! I never would have watched this otherwise and it is just so incredibly pleasant. Apparently there is a first season and an OVA I need to watch? I am so hyped for relaxation and slight to moderate melancholy.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Today's Mushishi episode is a live-action talk show with the director and cast explaining some things. Crunchyroll doesn't appear to be subbing it. Just a heads up.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

Failboattootoot posted:

I don't know who bought that banner ad for this show but thanks! I never would have watched this otherwise and it is just so incredibly pleasant. Apparently there is a first season and an OVA I need to watch? I am so hyped for relaxation and slight to moderate melancholy.

Yup. The OVA is on Crunchyroll. The first season used to be on Netflix, no idea if that's still the case though.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

aers posted:

Today's Mushishi episode is a live-action talk show with the director and cast explaining some things. Crunchyroll doesn't appear to be subbing it. Just a heads up.

Should I bother finding subs for it? Or is it just a fun little bonus thing that isn't really doesn't require watching?

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

aers posted:

Dumb that Crunchy is skipping it, that sounds interesting.

Battle Strudel
Jan 1, 2010

Blhue posted:

Yup. The OVA is on Crunchyroll. The first season used to be on Netflix, no idea if that's still the case though.

Funimation put the first season up on youtube if it isn't. (And not blocked in the UK either if that's an issue)

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

aers posted:

That's a rather disappointing. I hope there'll be a fansub of it, or that CR subs it soon.

Butt Frosted Cake
Dec 27, 2010

ViggyNash posted:

That's a rather disappointing. I hope there'll be a fansub of it, or that CR subs it soon.

Unfortunately the only fansubbers have been using the official translation so I'm hoping there will be a translation on the BR at least.

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

echoes of a contemporary nation
I could try and drag someone into translating it but I don't think any of us are particularly interested and those kinds of specials tend to be a pain to sub anyway because they're filled with onscreen text.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
So we wait two weeks for a new episode and there's production delays :argh: Mushi-shi is three hours late on Crunchyroll

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

The new Mushishi episode was just ok. That's a bit worrying because it could mean a drop in quality's about to occur. :(

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Hmm... not sure what the theme of this episode was. Some kind of guilt?

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

The theme was every cloud has a silver lining. Or: don't whine about having useful rain powers for awhile to a guy who lost an eye and his memories to a light/shadow ghost fish thing

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:
I think it is both actually. To not feel guilty about things that are not under your control, like the rain causing people to die and the rain following her around, and to hope for the best because while her problem is chronic there are signs of it ending and there are clear benefits for her having the mushi on the people surrounding her.

Zackarotto
Dec 25, 2005

Ha! Ha! I'll now calculate your brain age.

GloomMouse posted:

Or: don't whine about having useful rain powers for awhile to a guy who lost an eye and his memories to a light/shadow ghost fish thing

Also he cannot settle in one place either, and his "there's no cure for a drifter" talk was probably a little personal. :(

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

kcab dneb smra ym semitemos tub ,reh wonk I ekil leef I

GoldenNugget posted:

I think it is both actually. To not feel guilty about things that are not under your control, like the rain causing people to die and the rain following her around, and to hope for the best because while her problem is chronic there are signs of it ending and there are clear benefits for her having the mushi on the people surrounding her.

It's a lot of this with the past mention of clouds having a silver lining. Ginko tells her that she has to deal with a lot of stuff, and even under that burden there are still things to be happy about. She found a way to help people, even if she personally held the deaths of people on her shoulders. It's not her fault, but that also doesn't mean her suffering didn't matter. It seems like Ginko really connected to her in that aspect, and was trying to get across that People are more complex than the consequences of their actions, and that while someone can experience great pain, the "ends" to that pain can have a multitude of affects on people that might be unexpected. Being lost in that pain is what caused Teru to feel so horrible for the past years, it wasn't just the Mushi itself, and even though Teru's feelings of sadness aren't invalid Ginko wants her to know that she doesn't NEED to live under the shadow of the mushi as if it's just there to terrorize her.

Kitten Head Ridge
Apr 3, 2009

It is surprising how much space is needed to 'swing a cat'!

Failboattootoot posted:

Yeah, the person who bought the banner is a champion. I love Mushi-Shi. :allears: I first saw the banner around Easter, and I was ecstatic especially considering how stressed out I had been over classes and finances. I really thought that this new season wasn't due until June. At guess at some point when I have a bit more money, I'll break down and get a copy of the live-action movie considering that I haven't seen it yet but I've seen the first season and have the manga that was released in the U.S.

Speaking of locating stuff that has been unreleased to other countries (such a subbed copy of that director's episode for the current season), are there any scanlations of that new chapter of the manga? I presume that it was the basis for the OVA. I tried looking for one a couple of months ago and didn't have any luck.

Butt Frosted Cake
Dec 27, 2010

Smoking Crow posted:

The new Mushishi episode was just ok. That's a bit worrying because it could mean a drop in quality's about to occur. :(

I quite liked it, but maybe I'm biased because I too cannot sweat.
http://a.pomf.se/bcdpcf.webm

The Walking Dad
Dec 31, 2012
Watching Mushi-Shi is almost meditative it is so chill. It is the Byobest of animes.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Mushishi is not airing again this week.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

aers posted:

Mushishi is not airing again this week.

Laaame. Is something going wrong with the production?

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Probably likely but I don't think they've said anything.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
Putting my voice in for praising whoever bought the banner; I had no idea there were going to be any additional episodes made beyond the first season, but holy poo poo thank you for pointing me towards the new stuff!

Mushi-shi has long been my favorite anime because of the aforementioned meditative qualities of the show. While the concept of mushi is surely grounded in Shinto beliefs, the way Ginko approaches them seems to be heavily influenced by Taoism, and that strikes a very personal chord in me. He treats mushi as nothing more than natural phenomena, to be appreciated for that singular quality. He actively discourages harmful interference with mushi and their habits while encouraging people's awareness of them to further their ability to live in harmony with them. Ginko is like a walking manifestation of wu-wei (action without action), and the koumyaku (light vein/river of light) is, in my opinion, a sort of physical or ethereal manifestation of the Tao itself.

Ginko's loss of everything, including his memory; leading to his linking up with a group that follows the koumyaku around; and eventually Ginko's wandering nature, the primary purpose of which is to better understand mushi; all represents a metaphor for the Taoist sage. That is, shedding what one knows of worldly matters, learning of the Tao and its vastness and interconnectedness, and contemplating the Tao for a lifetime while teaching others how to live in harmony with the natural order of the universe.

Less heady stuff: it's a pretty cool show, and beautiful to boot. I picked up all ten volumes of the manga during a trip to Japan a number of years ago with the intention of attempting to read and/or translate them, but never got around to doing it. When I lent them to my host father, he read one or two volumes and said while they weren't really his thing, they were neat stories. Specifically, and I'll never forget this, he summed them up in one word: nostalgic.

I'm way out of practice at this point so there's no hope for me of reading them in the original Japanese, but I'm happy to have them on my bookshelf regardless.

Here's a money-shot of them on my host-family's floor:

Baron Fuzzlewhack fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Jun 2, 2014

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Ginko reminds me a lot of the stories you hear about early scientists. Dudes who would get a spot on a Royal Navy ship or whatever and then draw and write down observations on whatever they could find.

Butt Frosted Cake
Dec 27, 2010

I can dig it, the Mushishi have always struck me as less medicine men and more alchemists which is a big part of religious Taoism. Although I can't really recall any Confucian or Mohist foil to play off of which is, in my opinion, an essential part to any series of Taoist parables.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
God has seen fit that we get another episode of Mushi-Shi. The character at the center of this is so awful that it kind of comes around again to being a lovable spoiled brat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Butt Frosted Cake posted:

I can dig it, the Mushishi have always struck me as less medicine men and more alchemists which is a big part of religious Taoism. Although I can't really recall any Confucian or Mohist foil to play off of which is, in my opinion, an essential part to any series of Taoist parables.

I always saw it more as a Buddhist thing since everyone's problems start when they are attached to something, be it a person or an idea.

Anyway, the new episode was good.

• Locked thread