Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Rocksicles posted:

we need an Evil Carlos... running around murking fools, ends with a Carlos Vs Carlos throw down

It can end like Rocky 2, only instead of them punching each other it will be simultaneous roundhouse kicks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Between this and Orphan Black, my clone watching is at an all time high.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

GreenNight posted:

Between this and Orphan Black, my clone watching is at an all time high.

Well I mean, what else has there been?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Rhyno posted:

Well I mean, what else has there been?

Two concurrent scifi shows both having clones and set in Canada? Not too many.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

GreenNight posted:

Two concurrent scifi shows both having clones and set in Canada? Not too many.

Other than random episodes of Trek and Stargate and that half season of Farscape, I can't think of much in the way of tv where there's been long term character duplication.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Probably because it's such a pain in the rear end. Van Damme had some good clone movies though.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Warmachine posted:

The thread title is rather apt. I just typed up a few paragraphs of time travel musing and deleted them all because it amounted to lots of :words: about possible futures and how I don't know what the gently caress anymore. I love it when something about time travel gets me thinking about the underlying mechanics of it.

Well thanks for the props. I've never been all that great at naming things but I watched the premiere then noticed we were still using the S2 thread. All that was going through my head was "WHAT THE gently caress WHAT THE gently caress WHAT THE gently caress" so I ran with it. I'm still going "WHAT THE gently caress" for the record.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Mar 27, 2014

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
I hope there is a third, evil Kiera... and it's Bad Wig Kiera.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Evil Kiera will still have her mole.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

I'm waiting for an adult version of her son to travel to the past in search of his mom.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

GreenNight posted:

I'm waiting for an adult version of her son to travel to the past in search of his mom.

Escher was Kiera's son.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

GreenNight posted:

Waiting for him to be the freelancer that started the cult

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Alternate future Kiera would be more meaningful if she wasn't from a week into the future

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

socialsecurity posted:

Alternate future Kiera would be more meaningful if she wasn't from a week into the future

It is funny just how much they seem to show that their one-week-ago selves were so naive and innocent, and one week has turned them into battle-hardened, bitter, betrayed veterans.

I also think Kiera is acting way too betrayed by Alec. It's his time travel device, and they both want completely contradictory things from the future - he wants a better world + his girlfriend, she wants her family. She shouldn't be able to guilt trip Alec for doing something that's no more selfish than what she wants, and in all reality his intentions were probably much less selfish than hers - he intended to just prevent his girlfriend from dying and change nothing else (INTENDED, anyway). She fully intends to make sure the apocalypse happens and the corporations take over again.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

socialsecurity posted:

Was it established how long she was in freelancer custody?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
It does seem like a big missed opportunity that Kiera hasn't really been exploring her established beliefs now that she's been living in the past with all the freedom, literature, etc. They're saying she literally believed in burning books, how does she feel about all that now? It seems like this stuff is almost supposed to be subtext but obviously those flashback(forward?) scenes are right there in your face. Its just weird to me that its not a more important aspect of the show.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

I really should just shut the fuck up and stop posting forever
College Slice
I honestly can't actually comprehend the amount of literal doublethink and engsoc newspeak that must've gone on in her head to believe that fighting a war to uphold a plutocratic corporatist police state that has literally commoditized human rights and not entirely subtly erased all history of their more dubious past as a morally sound choice.

I can understand being desperate to get back to her family and lifestyle but actually being a rank and file true believer when she could so easily see how wrong everything is just makes me not really sympathetic to her plight.

Liber8 is a litte weird on where I stand, I feel like they could've been smarter in their tactics once it became clear they were stuck there, Kagame seemed to give them thoughtful purpose which then just imploded right away.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Raenir Salazar posted:

Liber8 is a litte weird on where I stand, I feel like they could've been smarter in their tactics once it became clear they were stuck there, Kagame seemed to give them thoughtful purpose which then just imploded right away.

Sounds like the relationship between any real-life terrorist organization and its spiritual founder. I would love to be able to give Simon Barry credit for this but I'm not... quite... sure it is earned, though this show has earned a hell of a lot of other things. Time will tell.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Raenir Salazar posted:

I honestly can't actually comprehend the amount of literal doublethink and engsoc newspeak that must've gone on in her head to believe that fighting a war to uphold a plutocratic corporatist police state that has literally commoditized human rights and not entirely subtly erased all history of their more dubious past as a morally sound choice.

With some changes in the political structure, literally hundreds of millions of people have done the same in real life. Probably billions, when I think about it. For someone living in Kiera's social class, is life really that much worse then some of the dictatorships that have existed in real life and have had countless believers in them nonetheless? I mean there are still people who think that Iraq War for example was justified and needed, and people who willingly signed up to fight that war for the same reasons, and in the West anyone can just sit in front of the computer and educate themselves. I don't find Kiera's thinking unrealistic at all. Especially when there probably was some teenage-esque rebellion against her hippie mom mixed in too.

Raenir Salazar posted:

Sonya/Lucas tried to continue along those lines, at the least. Travis/Garza were far more messed up then either and had been soldiers for most of their life. And Kagame was the only one who actually remembered life and history before the corporate takeover, he had entirely different point of view to drawn on then the rest.

And in the last episode, they managed to triumph without killing a single person, which tells me that they are learning.

DarkCrawler fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Mar 28, 2014

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

DarkCrawler posted:

With some changes in the political structure, literally hundreds of millions of people have done the same in real life. Probably billions, when I think about it. For someone living in Kiera's social class, is life really that much worse then some of the dictatorships that have existed in real life and have had countless believers in them nonetheless? I mean there are still people who think that Iraq War for example was justified and needed, and people who willingly signed up to fight that war for the same reasons, and in the West anyone can just sit in front of the computer and educate themselves. I don't find Kiera's thinking unrealistic at all. Especially when there probably was some teenage-esque rebellion against her hippie mom mixed in too.

For me its more that its a wasted storytelling opportunity. I'm more interested to see a conflicted Kiera have to weigh creating a better society against her own family than just a fully indoctrinated robot that isn't capable of independent thought. Its a question of what would be more compelling to watch.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Azhais posted:

Was it established how long she was in freelancer custody?

I don't think it was. Alec went back a week, Kiera could have been in that box for a month.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Basebf555 posted:

For me its more that its a wasted storytelling opportunity. I'm more interested to see a conflicted Kiera have to weigh creating a better society against her own family than just a fully indoctrinated robot that isn't capable of independent thought. Its a question of what would be more compelling to watch.

They do sprinkle in a few scenes where she's questioning the corporations. Like how Piron was hoarding food rations and people were starving. And hey she slept with Kellogg.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

I really should just shut the fuck up and stop posting forever
College Slice
I think the whole BATTLE HARDENED VETERANS thing is justified if you think about it, sure its a hard sell from our perspective but Future Alec had the love of his life shot in front of him because his best friend and All Around Competent Person was off chasing a doo-dad.

I think Kiera is more freaking out over seeing her past self dead for no adequate reason that makes even a lick of sense (to her mind) while also grappling with the apparent truth that her timeline is now completely wiped away unless she fixes it.

Although really, I'm a little disappointed Future Alec didn't try to calm her down by pointing out She still exists ergo her future should as well.

If her future no longer exists, then the total sum of memories and experiences that made her who she is today, up until Old Alec's attempt at a stable time loop should no longer exist either, making her a paradox that shouldn't exist if the future she came from (the future the freelancers sent her back from) didn't exist.

Assuming that future was the same timeline as her timeline.

Maybe her timeline isn't even the real timeline anyways and she was sent back in order to change events in order to restore the real time-I've gone crosseyed! :monocle:

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Raenir Salazar posted:

I think the whole BATTLE HARDENED VETERANS thing is justified if you think about it, sure its a hard sell from our perspective but Future Alec had the love of his life shot in front of him because his best friend and All Around Competent Person was off chasing a doo-dad.

I think Kiera is more freaking out over seeing her past self dead for no adequate reason that makes even a lick of sense (to her mind) while also grappling with the apparent truth that her timeline is now completely wiped away unless she fixes it.

Although really, I'm a little disappointed Future Alec didn't try to calm her down by pointing out She still exists ergo her future should as well.

If her future no longer exists, then the total sum of memories and experiences that made her who she is today, up until Old Alec's attempt at a stable time loop should no longer exist either, making her a paradox that shouldn't exist if the future she came from (the future the freelancers sent her back from) didn't exist.

Assuming that future was the same timeline as her timeline.

Maybe her timeline isn't even the real timeline anyways and she was sent back in order to change events in order to restore the real time-I've gone crosseyed! :monocle:

It seems pretty clear that this is the kind of time travel where her existing doesn't mean anything - after all, killing your grandmother will prevent you from coming to exist in the future, but the 'you' that is here now won't just vanish. It kinda makes more sense that way anyway, really - having you just 'poof' out of existence creates way more inconsistencies (if you didn't exist, nothing that caused you to cease existing would have happened).

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
The only rule is don't kill Alec.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
Kill all Alecs and replace them with Kieras with increasingly insane wigs.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

...! posted:

Kill all Alecs and replace them with Kieras with increasingly insane wigs.

i would still watch the show if it was this

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Kiera is doing the right thing. No terrorist organization should have a god drat number in the name.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

ded posted:

Kiera is doing the right thing. No terrorist organization should have a god drat number in the name.

They were just following in the footsteps of the grand warriors from the turn of the millennium: Al Q8a

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

ded posted:

Well yeah but Kiera is serving even more of a ruthless and terrible organization...that is why this show is so good In my opinion. Carlos is the only good guy, yet you can sympathize with everyone.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
At ten minutes in: Oh, holy gently caress! Man, this show is not messing around anymore. That... uh, that escalated quickly.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Haha, Sonmanto. Obvious anagram is obvious.

In other news, this loving show.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Most underrated show ever. Jesus, no contest.

:haw: "Pop rocks?"

DarkCrawler fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Mar 31, 2014

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Future Drone Kiera was scary. I'm guessing by the time the series ends she will decide that Liber8 had it right.

Justufinhaamu
Nov 12, 2008
What was the song playing in the last two minutes? I canīt make out enough of the the lyrics to google it out.

edit: http://dralms.bandcamp.com/track/crushed-pleats

Justufinhaamu fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Mar 31, 2014

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Tried to put all the characters/factions on one chart. Hope it's not too hard to read. Liber8 is treated as one so it may have two different relationships with the same character.

It amazes me how many different plotlines and relationships this show can juggle and still make sense.

DarkCrawler fucked around with this message at 11:56 on Mar 31, 2014

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Maybe it makes sense to you, I am further confused with each episode

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
It's funny how each flash forward to 2077 it's becoming more and more clear to the viewer that Kiera is in the total wrong for being a good little drone. Sure Liber8 has pretty hosed up methods, but they've obviously got the right idea. Shades of grey. It also makes more sense when Kiera goes crazy on Julian - she's bought into the party line her entire life. The show is a slow deprogramming of her existence really.

Makes me wonder what they would have done if they'd landed in their original target timeline. Surely they could have shifted things more non-violently if they had longer to work.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Mortanis posted:

Makes me wonder what they would have done if they'd landed in their original target timeline. Surely they could have shifted things more non-violently if they had longer to work.

They would have had less time to work, they were supposed to go only few years in the past, I think. To the original Liber8 rebellion, presumably to help their younger selves. Bet they would have been even more violent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
Guess I need to rewatch. I was somehow thinking they were going back farther... but it was 7 years, not 70 wasn't it. This actually makes more sense than the original plan really.

• Locked thread