Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tavarin
May 10, 2003

I am definitely a madman with a box

deadEd posted:

Luckily for you Mark Trumbo and Jay Bruce just decided to outdo you :suicide:

Both of my hitters should get an AB in the 9th, so who knows. :gonk:

Either way, thanks Trumbo and Bruce for making it interesting!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deadEd
Feb 20, 2001
WELP

I guess I'd be more upset if Trumbo and Bruce's stupid strikeout totals hadn't spent the last several weeks giving me enough wins to even make the playoffs. Live by the sword, die by the sword.

This was seriously fun though, if you do it again next year I'm so in.

Vogon Poet
Jun 18, 2004

Someone bought me this custom title because they think I kick ass at Photoshop. They happen to be right.

deadEd posted:

WELP

I guess I'd be more upset if Trumbo and Bruce's stupid strikeout totals hadn't spent the last several weeks giving me enough wins to even make the playoffs. Live by the sword, die by the sword.

This was seriously fun though, if you do it again next year I'm so in.

Glad you liked it!

Championship round, and after five games started my pitchers have allowed a total of one run in 33 innings. :psyduck:

Vogon Poet
Jun 18, 2004

Someone bought me this custom title because they think I kick ass at Photoshop. They happen to be right.
Make that six games, 41 innings, one run allowed. :pwn:

deadEd
Feb 20, 2001
ahahahaha and another -900pt day. At least this one wasn't on a Sunday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vogon Poet
Jun 18, 2004

Now that the season is over, I'd like to pay tribute to Javier Baez.

This young Cubs prospect is regarded as having a lot of potential as a power hitter. Baez burst onto the scene after an early August call up with three homers in his first three games. He continued to start every game for the Cubs through the end of the season, but his ensuing performance made it clear that the 21-year-old was not yet ready for the big leagues. He ended the season with a .169/.227/.324 slash line, while also striking out a whopping 95 times in 229 PAs. Not only that, but he also committed 10 errors in 52 games - extrapolated to a full season, he would have led the league in errors.

What does this mean for his fantasy performance? Baez averaged 130.3 points per game in the backwards scoring league. This is the fourth highest average of any batter in the league this year. Baez played in 52 games. The three batters with higher averages played in one, six, and four games. The next highest average of anyone who played at least 50 games was Dan Uggla's 97.8. Uggla's playing time dwindled and then disappeared entirely because of how terribly he was doing. Baez produced a whopping 33% more fantasy points per game and yet continued to be an everyday fixture in the Cubs' lineup. The fact that he was able to stay in the lineup so consistently while producing numbers at that level is something I can't remember ever seeing before in this league.

Baez was especially remarkable toward the end of the season. Over the last 30 days, he scored 4420 fantasy points, averaging 157.9 per game. The next highest total over that period was 3235 from Austin Jackson. The difference in total fantasy points between the two was greater than the difference between Jackson and the 21st highest scorer over that period. During the playoffs, Baez was the highest scorer in the league in each of the two weeks. Over the last 15 days (essentially the playoffs), Baez scored 2470 points, averaging 176.4 per game. In that time, he came to the plate 63 times. He got nine hits, and they were all singles. He walked five times. That's a .155/.222/.155 line. He struck out 26 times. During the last 15 days, Baez's rate of strikeouts per PA (.413) was higher than his OPS (.377).

On Baseball Reference, I noticed a stat called Offensive Winning Percentage: "The percentage of games a team with nine of this player batting would win. Assumes average pitching and defense." Baez's is .234. A lineup full of Javier Baezes would thus go 38-124 and set a new record for futility in the modern era. Amusingly, 2014 Mike Trout's OWn% is .766, meaning a lineup full of Javier Baezes would be exactly as bad as a lineup full of Mike Trouts would be good.

Okay, well, that was fun. Here's to you, Javier Baez; thanks for helping me win the championship! :toot:

Vogon Poet fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Sep 29, 2014

• Locked thread