Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
2014 World Champion?
This poll is closed.
Valentino Rossi 13 19.40%
Jorge Lorenzo 13 19.40%
Dani Pedrosa 8 11.94%
Marc Marquez 33 49.25%
Total: 67 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Yeah, it's a pain to set spoiler times with people in time zones all over the world. Easier to just keep the thread live and don't read it until you're caught up if you aren't watching live. Really I have to stay off most of the internet if I haven't seen the race. News sites, twitter, facebook, even other forums spoil races. On a Quake forum someone spoiled Jenson Button's 2011 Canadian GP for me by putting it in a thread title and I'm still a bit annoyed about that.

Edit: reread your post, nevermind. Announcing the start isn't a bad idea.

:siren:Since moto 3 is on, thread will now contain spoilers. :siren:

nsaP fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Mar 23, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

nsaP posted:

:siren:Since moto 3 is on, thread will now contain spoilers. :siren:

Yeah, this is all I meant. Or the first person to post and be talking about the race...

:siren:Race talk starts here :siren:

Real simple.

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

I like this spoiler strategy. I felt bad for Aleix yesterday. Hopefully he redeems himself today!

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
2/3 weren't crazy but good enough, I watched em while cooking. Now for GP, I'm guessin the first couple laps will be 'exciting' while they sort out race pace from qualifying position but I expect it to be pretty processional after. We'll see!

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

gently caress.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Here we go! Lorenzo then Iannone. Stay in this one and get some solid points I bet.

Royale with Cheese
Jul 26, 2006

They wouldn't know what the fuck a Quarter Pounder is.
Looks like Lorenzo was late on the brakes and the front end washed out, then the bike ripped itself to pieces. Nice to see some new faces in the podium pack this season!

e: And Bradl is down, same story. Go Rossi!

Royale with Cheese fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Mar 23, 2014

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

And Bradl too, in the same corner. I wonder if they didn't fully clean up the oil spill from the Moto2 race?

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Crazy race so far, looks to be settling down. Rossi fuel issues? MM sandbagging? Gonna be good.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Great battle on the last lap.

And lol at Crutchlow running out of gas on the finish line.

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Now this was a hell of a way to start the series.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

drat, that was good. Shame for Bautista, nice to see Rossi up there again, but I'm not getting too excited - he did well here last year as well. Hopefully he can do well again next race.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
All I can say is Thank you Jack Miller for sparing me once.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Collateral Damage posted:

And lol at Crutchlow running out of gas on the finish line.

I liked how he was trying to keep it going by bouncing up and down.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Spiffness posted:

Can we do a new thing in this thread where the first post that talks about the latest race results is headed by a bold warning?

First poster should have to post a big gif of a green flag being waved

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!
What an amazing race! I wonder if Crutchlow ran out of gas coming across the finish line?

edit: yup

Motogp.com posted:

Andrea Dovizioso and Cal Crutchlow did well in fifth and sixth respectively for Ducati Team, though Crutchlow finished 16 seconds behind his teammate after almost running out of fuel on his debut for the Italian factory.

Nitramster fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Mar 24, 2014

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!
Great race, especially given that apparently the Yamahas have been struggling with the new tyres. If that's how they can perform under those circumstances, I look forward to seeing how things go with a bit more dialing in.

Bummer for Bradl after leading for so long, there did seem to be something suss about that corner given Lorenzo's crash, but he didn't mention any suspicion of oil on the track or anything when interviewed in the pits so maybe not. Stoked for Rossi, hopefully he can keep that kind of performance up.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something
Un-loving-believable crash on lap one for JL. What a lovely way to start the season. Was really hoping for first for Rossi by the end of the race, but oh well.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

hayden. posted:

Un-loving-believable crash on lap one for JL.

What is up with that corner? The commentators were giving statistics for how many people drop their bike there, it's by far the most crash prone corner in MotoGP.

It doesn't seem like a particularly tricky bend, but I'm not a top tier racer so what do I know.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!
Is it just me, or does a race track in the desert where there's dust everywhere seem sort of like a bad idea?

PolishHero
Nov 11, 2005

Here4DaGangBang posted:

Is it just me, or does a race track in the desert where there's dust everywhere seem sort of like a bad idea?

Rumor has it that the money paid to make Losail the opening round of the series is almost if not enough to cover travel expenses outside of Europe all year.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
The night races look great and it's a good start to the season. I think Qatar deserves it's place on the GP calendar at least from a fun to watch on TV perspective.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Speaking of looking great, I'm convinced Rossi had the best looking ride. The blue goes really well with the neon he uses. Can't wait to try and get pictures of it at Indy.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

Nicky looks cool too but it sort of has that alien-in-70s-movie look.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
After all that rules fuckery, the Ducatis finished 5th and 6th, just ahead of the Honda RCV1000Rs that are supposed to be at a major disadvantage. And that's with 4 DNFs. I know it's only the first race, but still

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
Weren't they a fair bit closer time wise than they were last year (too lazy to actually look).

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
I would assume so because everyone was a bit closer this time. But if you add the DNFs back in, Ducati is right back in like, 9th/10th as it was all of last season. I guess the finishes will be exactly the same but maybe it'll be a little more interesting getting there this year? Improvement?

Veritas
Aug 20, 2003
So today i won some tickets for the next races at CoTA, from the local morning radio show :dance:

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

n8r posted:

Weren't they a fair bit closer time wise than they were last year (too lazy to actually look).

Significantly closer, Dovi in the same camera shot when they looked down the straight as Rossi and Marquez crossed the line.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

Veritas posted:

So today i won some tickets for the next races at CoTA, from the local morning radio show :dance:

Is there going to be a MotoGP goon meet in Austin?

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Anyone ever been a corner worker before? This sounds tempting... http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=963276

Dellikose
Oct 10, 2003
It turns out Cal's Duc didn't run out of gas, but had a transponder issue.

http://www.crash.net/motogp/news/201432/1/crutchlows-ducati-in-a-different-place.html

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Yeah he said that from the start. Hodgson gave him some leading question about running out of gas on the straight and Cal replied "Who said we ran out of gas?" He tweeted later with the info in that crash article.

If you read crash, you'd do well to just set up a twitter account to follow the riders and journalists. Once you're following the riders you realize that the news articles on crash are all fluff writing based around some rider tweets. That and the press releases that some employee writes.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Unfortunately trying to follow a specific story in a twitter feed is one of the most painful activities I can imagine. Unless I need to know RIGHT NOW what's going on it's much easier to just wait for the regurgitation blogs to nicely format it.

That the electronics can interfere with the bike operation enough to make it unusable is pretty odd to me. Obviously these things work 99% of the time so it's not a huge issue but it seems like some kind of failsafe mode would be included so the rider could try and stay in the race.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

xzzy posted:

some kind of failsafe mode would be included so the rider could try and stay in the race.

I think there obviously was one because he continued to race, but being at the disadvantage of not having corner specific handling made him less competitive. Not sure about the end of the race though, that was weird. My guess is the electronics was just a cover story.

Korwen
Feb 26, 2003

don't mind me, I'm just out hunting.

Skreemer posted:

Is there going to be a MotoGP goon meet in Austin?

I may or may not be at the Race, but if we want to meet somewhere for a beer and a burger I'm down.

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!

Dellikose posted:

It turns out Cal's Duc didn't run out of gas, but had a transponder issue.

http://www.crash.net/motogp/news/201432/1/crutchlows-ducati-in-a-different-place.html

And this is going to be mandatory software in 2 years... No wonder Honda is threatening to leave!

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Not sure I'd trust what they say. Ducati had the same thing happen with their own software to Hayden in Spain in 2012. It's easy to blame the other guy.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
Anyone follow Moto2? Nakagami is one of my favorite "also rans" in Moto2. The guy raced the wheel off the bike last year and generally came in way down the grid because he had used up his tires. He finished 2nd in Qatar 2014 and I was hoping maybe with the new team and a new year he'd be in the points. Looks like his team fitted an air intake that's not allowed and he's been disqualified.

http://www.motogp.com/en/news/2014/Race%20Director%20explains%20Nakagami%20disqualification

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Finally got to watch the race last night, was a good one. Would have liked to see Rossi win it, he definitely put in a great run given the issues with traction and allegedly being down on power.

Since there isn't a specific dirt racing thread this past week's supercross race in Toronto was great to watch. It was great to see Stewart blitz through the pack, he was truly on another level from everyone else through those rhythm sections. If Vilapoto was healthy he might have been able to keep up, though.

IMO Stewart is probably the fastest to ever race SX. Definitely not the most consistent, but for pure speed in the right circumstances you'd be hard pressed to find anyone quicker. I'd love to see him win another championship or two but it's unlikely. He said next year may be his last. Had he not crashed out of Anaheim 1 this year on a similarly hard charge I think he could have really been in the hunt. I think Vilapoto is going to get 4 in a row though.

• Locked thread