Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
2014 World Champion?
This poll is closed.
Valentino Rossi 13 19.40%
Jorge Lorenzo 13 19.40%
Dani Pedrosa 8 11.94%
Marc Marquez 33 49.25%
Total: 67 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Team Mamola for life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

I guess that was a stupid way to say it. I enjoy Ryder's commentary, but he says some pretty silly things mid race and maybe they are intentional to lead the conversation for the audience but he can really come off like he's not got a clue sometimes.

He's far and above the best personality on the mic. I have no doubt that however many years he's done this makes him an experienced man but on broadcast I can't recall him saying much that drove what was happening with the bikes forward much. He's great about stories with the riders and what not.

Anyways, not the point. I miss EuroSport2HD.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

Z3n posted:

Team Mamola for life.

Randy Mamola is still one of my favorite riders and drat fun as a commentator. Sir I like your ideas and would subscribe to your newsletter.

Skreemer fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Apr 7, 2014

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
^^^ My newsletter is so underground I haven't even started it yet, soz

Spiffness posted:

I guess that was a stupid way to say it. I enjoy Ryder's commentary, but he says some pretty silly things mid race and maybe they are intentional to lead the conversation for the audience but he can really come off like he's not got a clue sometimes.

He's far and above the best personality on the mic. I have no doubt that however many years he's done this makes him an experienced man but on broadcast I can't recall him saying much that drove what was happening with the bikes forward much. He's great about stories with the riders and what not.

Anyways, not the point. I miss EuroSport2HD.

I kinda stopped watching because it's just not the same without eurosport2. :(

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
They were a great team but not worth the tears, for real. By the end of this year you'll have forgotten their lovely world-feed-commentating-from-England coverage.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Every euro tv commentator sounds awesome to me. I still remember watching the Phillip Island race last year on what used to be Speed and their guys didn't even notice when Marquez missed his pit stop.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something
I liked it when Ben Spies was in the box for a race, that was cool. He should do that more.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

hayden. posted:

I liked it when Ben Spies was in the box for a race, that was cool. He should do that more.

This is a good place for Ben these days.

Or Colin when he retires, should go straight to commentating.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

Colin would be the best, he'd probably talk about whatever beer or scotch he had in the box with him the whole time.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

Colin would be awesome as a commentator.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost
:hellyeah:

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
Hey I got some ticket too:

Mister Duck
Oct 10, 2006
Fuck the goose

Skreemer posted:

Hey I got some ticket too:

Hello T15 buddy

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
Aprilia says they plan to return to MGP by 2016. This is good news, the paddock is really lacking lately in bikes that strive to burst into flames and hurl their riders into low earth orbit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N340IXBBlI8

Snowdens Secret fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Apr 10, 2014

Resource
Aug 6, 2006
Yay!

Mister Duck posted:

Hello T15 buddy

T15 is pretty great :) Hot as gently caress though.

Dellikose
Oct 10, 2003
http://www.motogp.com/en/news/2014/Edwards%20announces%20retirement%20at%20end%20of%202014%20in%20Austin%20press%20conference

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

I forgot that Colin was a superbike champion, I'm surprised he (and Ben Spies) didn't do better in MotoGP. Is the competition just much better in MotoGP?

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Yes!

GP is precision perfect. They call the Spaniards aliens for a reason.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It's pretty mind blowing to watch them ride in person. Only "racing" I've ever done is in video games and even there I'm all the gently caress over the place on every corner. But the top MotoGP guys will hit the exact same apex on any given corner at the exact same lean angle every single time. Each rider is subtly different in their position, but they stick to their line without fail.

I'm not sure they're human, they're robots or something.

Mister Duck
Oct 10, 2006
Fuck the goose

Resource posted:

T15 is pretty great :) Hot as gently caress though.

Yeah I was in T1 last year, but was able to trade off for a MotoGP practice session in T15 and I definitely am looking forward to seeing that complex at full race pace.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!

Spiffness posted:

Yes!

GP is precision perfect. They call the Spaniards aliens for a reason.

I thought anyone who WASN'T a Spaniard was an alien, because the series is essentially Spanish run and dominated?

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
The 'aliens' were Stoner, Pedrosa, Lorenzo and Rossi.

The only alien now is MM.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
GP FP2 is on at 3 EST with Ben Spies in the box. http://www.vipboxus.co/sports/moto-gp.html

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!

nsaP posted:

The 'aliens' were Stoner, Pedrosa, Lorenzo and Rossi.

The only alien now is MM.

Huh, well there you go. I learned something today.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
Moto2 FP2:

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Here4DaGangBang posted:

Huh, well there you go. I learned something today.

Around 2008-10 or so they were the front runners, if you can find some of the races it would often be those 4 at the front and a gap to the also rans. http://www.motorcyclenews.com/mcn/sport/sportresults/motogp/2009/november/nov0709-valencia-motogp-top-four-aliens-says-edwards/

MM has been dominating today. Sideways all thru 16-18. Passing people around the outside and embarrassing everyone with the time sheets. Last lap of FP1 he shoved a pass up the inside of Lorenzo on the last turn just for shits, that's gotta hurt when you're 2 seconds a lap down. Also saw him pass 3 people in 2 corners when Pol Espargaro was trying to follow him around.

http://motomatters.com/results/2014/04/11/2014_cota_motogp_fp2_result_marquezthe_r.html

Check out how much the exhaust pipe is moving on the slow mo

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

That guy is an elbow dragging freak. I'm really annoyed that the first couple of races are in lovely timezones for me. I kind of like COTA for the F1, so I'm curious as to how the bikes go round there. The wife is away tonight, so maybe I'll be able to stay up and watch quali at least or something. :sigh:

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
Anyone at the GP going to the party tonight? I'll be dining at a buddies place a few blocks away. http://www.blueoxbarbecue.com/ See whoever shows up... (look for the blue bandit 1250, it'll most likely be the only one there.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Just a reminder to the people not watching the races live that from here on there might be :siren: spoilers :siren: in this thread.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

On that note, go Jacky boy! Can't believe Vinales, pretty amazing to get a moto2 win in your 2nd race.

e: holy Jesus jump start

Shimrod fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Apr 13, 2014

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

:doh:

e: Well that was pretty boring after the initial hilarity. Good job Andrea for giving Ducati a podium finish.

Collateral Damage fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Apr 13, 2014

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

Collateral Damage posted:

:doh:

e: Well that was pretty boring after the initial hilarity. Good job Andrea for giving Ducati a podium finish.

Yeah, was a bit. Crutchlow broke his hand in that crash. Wonder what the cause was. It was right after he pitted for a new tire - cold tire and just pushed it a bit too hard?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Watching moto2 go sideways on turns 11 and 12 was pretty fun. Moto3 was a heck of a race too.

MotoGP.. eh. Good ride by Marquez obviously and the jump start was comedy but the rest was a snoozer.

BitcoinRockefeller
May 11, 2003

God gave me my money.

Hair Elf
Oh Jorge-Kun :3:.
Jack Miller looked incredible on the breaks and in general, I hope he moves up next year.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
I was kind of surprised by Spies's assertion that on hard enough braking the tire will spin on the wheel.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Snowdens Secret posted:

I was kind of surprised by Spies's assertion that on hard enough braking the tire will spin on the wheel.

Didn't he say it was under hard acceleration when the wheel suddenly went from the different grip levels of the kerbs to the track? He was talking about real wheel chatter from the ensuing imbalance at the time.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Maybe that's what it was. Still strange though.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
Maybe some of you guys missed this article on Autoblog: Camaro Z/28 is so grippy GM had to find way to keep tires from slipping on wheels

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySmEJyQ94BI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

Laughed hard at this. Race was lovely, probably most boring in a long time. Glad I didn't try to fly and go see it.

• Locked thread