Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
2014 World Champion?
This poll is closed.
Valentino Rossi 13 19.40%
Jorge Lorenzo 13 19.40%
Dani Pedrosa 8 11.94%
Marc Marquez 33 49.25%
Total: 67 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!
GPS engine mapping has always seemed like the cheesiest, most over-the-top thing to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something
I think it's odd how big of an impact it has, though. Look at how much Crutchlow dropped in the first race after his hosed up and started thinking he was a corner off from where he was.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

hayden. posted:

I think it's odd how big of an impact it has, though. Look at how much Crutchlow dropped in the first race after his hosed up and started thinking he was a corner off from where he was.

I don't know, it seems to me that could make a massive difference, quite quickly. Depending on the corner you'd either have a bike which was being held back and was therefore slower than it should be, or a bike which had an excess of power available which you'd then have to control. And I guess it can't be overridden by the rider so you're a passenger on a crippled vehicle at that point.

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!

hayden. posted:

Like some others have said recently it litterally cuts fueling to the engine in preperation for turns, that's why Cal looked like he was rowing the thing to get to the line, his bike thought he should be braking right there.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
I thought they got rid of GPS stuff a few years ago and now do the corner by corner stuff via tracking the mileage or some other means. I think Bayliss winning the last race of 2006 was impressive but it shows how good the 2006 Ducati was not how good Bayliss was (he was a good superbike rider, no opinion on his GP performance). If Capirossi hadn't been tangled up in the crash with Gibernau he probablly wins the 2006 championship.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
It's hard to admit this, but n8 is right.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

n8r posted:

I thought they got rid of GPS stuff a few years ago and now do the corner by corner stuff via tracking the mileage or some other means. I think Bayliss winning the last race of 2006 was impressive but it shows how good the 2006 Ducati was not how good Bayliss was (he was a good superbike rider, no opinion on his GP performance). If Capirossi hadn't been tangled up in the crash with Gibernau he probablly wins the 2006 championship.

Has any other wildcard ever won a gp race? Gibernau never even got the thing on the top step.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Tweet Dr. Martin Raines https://twitter.com/motogpmart

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Z3n posted:

Has any other wildcard ever won a gp race?

Nope.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
He concurs http://twitter.com/motogpmart/status/458556636404396032

Twitter is cool.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Bayliss owns.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
I caught like half of free practice today and MM was just making everyone else look silly. So sideways into a turn I would have sworn his rear wheel was ahead of his front, bucking over the curbs and the closest person to him in time is his teammate, 1 second back...

nsaP fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Apr 26, 2014

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002
I bought Torquemada's torture equipment on e-bay!
He'll win again this year, unless he crashes out and becomes so injured that he can't race.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Dude makes that poo poo look like a cakewalk, just backing it in like he's on a Sunday ride along the coast.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Raven457 posted:

He'll win again this year, unless he crashes out and becomes so injured that he can't race.
I have to think that there is a decent chance of this happening. Remember how many fairly big crashes he had last year that were just blind luck that he didn't break a bone?

BitcoinRockefeller
May 11, 2003

God gave me my money.

Hair Elf
A video of Jorge being a big baby at Austin that was on the MotoGP page but got pulled at Yamaha's behest, reposted by a helpful fan for your enjoyment.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

I think it's hard to say he was being a baby there when we have no context. The riders have a certain level on intensity and though it looked like he was pissy about his helmet having a tag on it that it's always had, maybe his tone was just that way because he was focused on getting everything right. Telling someone to write something down that they've forgotten once already isn't being a baby, and we have no way of knowing why he was late for his flight. Comparing him to Marquez, who's smiling and taking photos, is dumb - Marquez is on top the world and doesn't need to improve to win. JL has a ton of improvement to do if he's going to contend for the title this year. Obviously they have different attitudes.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

BitcoinRockefeller posted:

A video of Jorge being a big baby at Austin that was on the MotoGP page but got pulled at Yamaha's behest, reposted by a helpful fan for your enjoyment.

Didn't think Jorge was being a baby, just rattled. Dorna should put stuff like this out on a weekly basis. Actually build some stories / personalities up about the riders.

Dzus
Jun 18, 2007

I have had people walk out on me before, but not... when I was being so charming.
From the rather dull Moto2 race I was not expecting this from MotoGP.

Terminus Est
Sep 30, 2005

Motorcycle Miliitia

Holy poo poo! An aggressive Pedrosa for once. Those first few laps were awesome with the lead group bunched up and going four five wide through the corners.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

Definitely a fun race at the start. Will be interesting to see if MM does another race start in 1st to a race win four times in a row, I wonder if that's been done before. The guys on One were saying the three in a row he did today was the first time since like 1971 or something for premier class.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

hayden. posted:

Definitely a fun race at the start. Will be interesting to see if MM does another race start in 1st to a race win four times in a row, I wonder if that's been done before. The guys on One were saying the three in a row he did today was the first time since like 1971 or something for premier class.

Not quite, its the first time since 1971 that it has been done in the opening 3 rounds, by Agostini.

Shimrod fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Apr 28, 2014

BitcoinRockefeller
May 11, 2003

God gave me my money.

Hair Elf

Shimrod posted:

Not quite, its the first time since 1971 that it has been done in the opening 3 rounds, by Agostini.
Oh hey, I misread the thing you quoted.

In non-motogp news, Eric Buell was not content with having his bikes embarrassingly down on horsepower and managed to get both of them to explode in race 1 at Assen. I wish someone else would make an American sport bike because Eric Buell can't seem to put one together.

BitcoinRockefeller fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Apr 28, 2014

Naan Bread
Sep 3, 2011

Who can stop MM? Lorenzo in front until he just decided he'd take first now thanks very much. Lorenzo couldn't do ANYTHING.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I'm not the first person that's said it: only Marquez can beat himself. There's absolutely no one out there that can hold a candle to him. A busted collarbone is about the only way to give anyone else a chance.

Though the first four laps were pretty loving exciting, they need to find a way to make that happen every single race.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

xzzy posted:

Though the first four laps were pretty loving exciting, they need to find a way to make that happen every single race for the entire race.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
That's easy, take away traction control. Better yet, put them back on 2-strokes.

Edit: Maybe a single ECU will level things, we'll see,

Slim Pickens fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Apr 29, 2014

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
That's a pipedream. It's what the lower classes are for.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

nsaP posted:

That's a pipedream. It's what the lower classes are for.

2 strokes are dead in the "Moto" umbrella of bike racing and I doubt they'll ever be back. :sigh:

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
On that note, the moto3 race was great

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
http://superbikeplanet.com/2014/Apr/130428a.htm

Man he was the best. Coulda stuck with it if he had more of a Raikkonen personality I think

Also Ryder Notes http://superbikeplanet.com/2014/Apr/140428rydernotes.htm

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Slim Pickens posted:

That's easy, take away traction control. Better yet, put them back on 2-strokes.

Edit: Maybe a single ECU will level things, we'll see,

Google Mick Doohan then get back to me.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

n8r posted:

Its even funnier when you realise he beat everyone with effectively only one leg.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

Just watched Moto3, loving hell, Miller has some balls.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

n8r posted:

Oh fine, make everyone ride a Ducati then. That'll even things out for a while.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Or just watch moto3.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Slim Pickens posted:

Oh fine, make everyone ride a Ducati then. That'll even things out for a while.

Casey Stoner could come back and win every race.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Man I would have loved to see them race each other.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

I think Stoner's been off the bike too long to be competitive with MM. He'd still be good though and probably give JL competition. CS at his peak versus MM, though - if I had to guess MM would still be ahead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

hayden. posted:

I think Stoner's been off the bike too long to be competitive with MM. He'd still be good though and probably give JL competition. CS at his peak versus MM, though - if I had to guess MM would still be ahead.

He was the test rider for the bike last year.

It'd probably take him a few races to get up to speed properly, but I think he'd be able to give MM a run for his money.

• Locked thread