Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
2014 World Champion?
This poll is closed.
Valentino Rossi 13 19.40%
Jorge Lorenzo 13 19.40%
Dani Pedrosa 8 11.94%
Marc Marquez 33 49.25%
Total: 67 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

Should be an interesting 1st round. Looking forward to it.

Rider profiles need an update by the way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

I voted for Pedrosa, just because I'd like to see him finally win. I think it'll be another Marquez v Lorenzo year though. Pedrosa will get some wins, I think Rossi will as well.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

Well, FP1 out of the way.

Po. Name TeamGap First
1 ESPARGARO A.NGM Forward Racing 1:55.201
2 BAUTISTA A.GO&FUN Honda Gresini +0.466
3 SMITH B.Monster Yamaha Tech 3 +0.615
4 IANNONE A.Pramac Racing +0.795
5 ESPARGARO P.Monster Yamaha Tech 3 +0.819
6 PEDROSA D.Repsol Honda Team +1.131
7 ROSSI V.Movistar Yamaha MotoGP +1.341
8 EDWARDS C.NGM Forward Racing +1.425
9 LORENZO J.Movistar Yamaha MotoGP +1.467
10 HAYDEN N.Drive M7 Aspar +1.469
11 MARQUEZ M.Repsol Honda Team +1.481
12 BRADL S.LCR Honda MotoGP +1.525
13 CRUTCHLOW C.Ducati Team +1.845

wut.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

I don't think he'll crash as much this year, he's got a year of experience on the bike plus experience at each of the tracks on a GP bike to work with, doesn't need to push so much to figure out how quick he can go at each track. Will still crash but probably not 20 odd times.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

drat, that was good. Shame for Bautista, nice to see Rossi up there again, but I'm not getting too excited - he did well here last year as well. Hopefully he can do well again next race.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

I'm pretty sure Nakagami will get a win this year, especially if he can ease up on his tires a bit more.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

22, 24ish? I don't know Fittipaldi.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

There's some Brits and Italians coming up. Still fairly Spanish though..

Honestly I don't mind, if they can ride well all the luck to them. I'll cheer for the Aussies first, but I still like watching everyone. Once they're racing doesn't matter where they're from - all look the same in their suits.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

I'd laugh if Red Bull read it and went ahead with it. Seems like a logical idea, especially if they can actually buy the entire series for what it costs to run an F1 team for a year.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

The BT commentators give me the shits, especially how they pronounce the Espargaro names and how they focus so drat much on the british riders. We get it, you're british, there's another 20 odd guys on the grid though.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

echomadman posted:

The B in BT sports probably has a lot to do with that, its not like the BBC and Eurosport guys didn't prattle on about the plucky brits all the time too.

Yeah, they did, but not that much.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

nsaP posted:

The BT guys pronounce Aleix's name correctly, finally. Toby Moody and his "Alex Es-spag-a-row".

They were a bit worse at gushing over Brits too, Hodgson telling Smith 'You did us proud' when he crashed out was a cringe.

Its how they say the last name that annoys me. They pause for every syllable.

Maybe I'm thinking of different old British presenters. I mean the ones who work for dorna and do the commentary for the official feed, on the motogp website. They're the ones we aussies get even with Darryl and dipshit doing pre-race stuff and catching us up after breaks.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

Colin would be awesome as a commentator.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

On that note, go Jacky boy! Can't believe Vinales, pretty amazing to get a moto2 win in your 2nd race.

e: holy Jesus jump start

Shimrod fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Apr 13, 2014

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

Collateral Damage posted:

:doh:

e: Well that was pretty boring after the initial hilarity. Good job Andrea for giving Ducati a podium finish.

Yeah, was a bit. Crutchlow broke his hand in that crash. Wonder what the cause was. It was right after he pitted for a new tire - cold tire and just pushed it a bit too hard?

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

hayden. posted:

Definitely a fun race at the start. Will be interesting to see if MM does another race start in 1st to a race win four times in a row, I wonder if that's been done before. The guys on One were saying the three in a row he did today was the first time since like 1971 or something for premier class.

Not quite, its the first time since 1971 that it has been done in the opening 3 rounds, by Agostini.

Shimrod fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Apr 28, 2014

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

hayden. posted:

I think Stoner's been off the bike too long to be competitive with MM. He'd still be good though and probably give JL competition. CS at his peak versus MM, though - if I had to guess MM would still be ahead.

He was the test rider for the bike last year.

It'd probably take him a few races to get up to speed properly, but I think he'd be able to give MM a run for his money.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

I think they're on the bike as much, if not more, than the actual racers.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

So, Jerez.

Moto3 was fairly good, this Moto2 race though, holy crap, it must be the most boring one I've seen in recent memory. I really hope MotoGP is better.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

Yeah, that was a shame for Cal, but oh well, at least he didn't crash out (which would have been a real possibility with a brake issue). Insane by Marc, kid is remarkable. I don't think he'll take everything, but he'll probably set a new record for wins. Great to see Vale on the podium, I hope he keeps it up this year, I really like him.

Not sure what happened to Lorenzo, I think he probably just didn't have that confidence in the tires, I know he had a Med Front/Rear whereas Rossi had a Hard Front, Med Rear, maybe he just killed the front too early? It was only the last 8 or 9 laps that he really dropped back from Rossi.

e: Good stuff by Pedrosa as well, I hope he can figure out his problem and is able to run with Marc at least, I like Dani. Kind of curious as to whether Lorenzo will jump ship, I don't think he'd do that great on the Honda, Ducati I don't think he'd even consider and there's no way he'd go to Suzuki next year, unless he just goes money chasing (which I don't really think he needs to).

Shimrod fucked around with this message at 14:01 on May 4, 2014

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

Alright, seriously, that lap by Marquez was utterly ridiculous. He's embarressing everyone now.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

Fox shows it on their Speed channel I think. I just wath the races on the official stream on the website, but it's easy enough to find :filez: for them.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

The one that used to ride of that pair I like, the other one seems like he has no idea and is just annoying most of the time. No idea who is who with them.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

echomadman posted:

Wow, that was an amazing Moto3 race.

^

Bad luck for those guys on the last lap, bet they'll be pretty pissed. Crazy close finish.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

That was the best last 8 laps ever. Shame Rossi wasn't able to get closer, suppose that was kind of inevitable considering where he started. Glad he got podium at least.

I wonder what the go is with Pedrosa, I think he's pretty much thrown it in this year as far as really pushing goes, ride it out and retire, get wins where he can but don't push overly hard and risk himself. I wonder if he'll bother next year if Suzuki say no to his $8 million contract reply.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

Skreemer posted:

After watching some of the replays anyone else think that Marquez is forcing Lorenzo to ride harder/more dynamically? Lorenzo is almost boring to watch with how mechanically he rides but he's had to take many different lines and improvise a lot of moves to make sure Marquez either can't pass or to come up with a move that would actually work around Marquez's dancing bike.

Yeah, but that's the same when any of them are fighting the other for position, especially when it's Honda v Yamaha, because of how different they take their lines. You could see both of them interrupting eachothers lines throughout the race.

darth cookie posted:

Unless Suzuki somehow come out with an absolute rocket out of no where (which I find highly unlikely considering how much Honda and Yamaha have had in development time since Suzuki bowed out a few years ago), I can't see Pedrosa winning a championship. He's not going to do it with Honda while Marquez rules supreme, and I can't see him beating Lorenzo on a Yamaha either.

If Pedrosa does go to Suzuki, it'd be for the money, nothing else.

Yeah, that's what I meant, if they say yes to his $8 mil reply he might take it for the two years or whatever the contract is for just to get an extra large retirement fund, and I think he'd do his best, but, I mean, Honda has cut his offer from something like $7mil he's on now to $1.5 for his next contract if he accepts it, which, unless he's really enjoying himself and can see himself winning I don't think he'll bother with. (Which is probably what Honda want, they're probably hoping he'll say no and they get someone else to replace him).

Yamaha .. I don't see him going there, honestly, I think it might suit him but he'll probably have a good sponsorship thing going with Honda after retirement anyway, why put that in jeopardy? Pretty sure he's given up on winning the championship this year, or any year any time soon. That being said, he's in 3rd, only 1 point behind Rossi so he'll still push, but I don't think he's going to take any risks.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

It was a pretty boring quali to be honest. Lorenzo was out the front last race, and Marquez is still on the front row. Should be an interesting race actually, especially with Rossi on the 2nd row. His race pace is similar to the other 3 guys so should be able to mix it up.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

Yeah, really good race. Can't believe Dani saved that.

Wonder what Lorenzos problem was. Chuffed Rossi was up so close the entire race. He's really upped his game this year.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

Not going to lie, I really didn't expect Qualifying to go like that. Lol. Jointly the most boring and funny qualifying I've ever seen.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

Westyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!!!!!

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

They've been talking about it for about 3 rounds now, lol. I don't think it'll happen, would be amazing if it did though.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

He stayed a lap later on his Wets before switching to Slicks, that cost him a bit of time, then I believe he was basically being too careful because he didn't want to crash like last year.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

Landed on his neck, only bruised it. Lucky man.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

Greg and Dillon are, yeah.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

So ... Redding beat Bautista in Qualifying. lol. Way to guarantee his seat next year.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

Ya, good race. Insane how quick Vasquez's bike is compared to everyone elses in a straight line, bloody hell.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

I think that was more "gently caress it give it some gas" than traction control.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

Ya, one of the better Moto2 races this year.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

Finally made a mistake!

Marquez dropped it but got back on.

Rossi leading! C'mon son!

e: Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!! Shame about Marquez, but christ that's great for Valentino, I'm so happy for him.

Shimrod fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Sep 14, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

Miller confirmed to LCR next year, 3 year contract. I really hope it works for him, personally think it might have been better to do a year in moto2 first though.

• Locked thread