Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
2014 World Champion?
This poll is closed.
Valentino Rossi 13 19.40%
Jorge Lorenzo 13 19.40%
Dani Pedrosa 8 11.94%
Marc Marquez 33 49.25%
Total: 67 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Marquez if he gets lucky in the crashing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Yeah Ryder knows more about motogp than just about anyone else in the announcing booth.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Team Mamola for life.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

^^^ My newsletter is so underground I haven't even started it yet, soz

Spiffness posted:

I guess that was a stupid way to say it. I enjoy Ryder's commentary, but he says some pretty silly things mid race and maybe they are intentional to lead the conversation for the audience but he can really come off like he's not got a clue sometimes.

He's far and above the best personality on the mic. I have no doubt that however many years he's done this makes him an experienced man but on broadcast I can't recall him saying much that drove what was happening with the bikes forward much. He's great about stories with the riders and what not.

Anyways, not the point. I miss EuroSport2HD.

I kinda stopped watching because it's just not the same without eurosport2. :(

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

darth cookie posted:

In answer to your first question:

Honda is currently the best developed bike, particularly surrounding their traction control software. These things run in cycles. A few years ago, it was Yamaha that was unbeatable.

As for Marquez? Simple answer is; the kid is an alien. Absolutely fearless, but he's also getting more and more mature every race. That means he makes less mistakes. Absolute confidence and riding with intellect means that he's very very hard to beat. In terms of talent, Jorge Lorenzo is his equal, and might even be a smidgen better because he's got more tricks at his disposal due to his greater experience (really a matter of opinion), but his bike isn't as good.

Pedrosa is very quick. Unfortunately he's been racing against the best riders the sport has ever produced; Rossi, Lorenzo, Marquez (and previously; Stoner). He's also got a knack for getting injured badly and not recovering quickly. In motorcycle racing, healing time can have a massive impact on your competitiveness. Those who get back to fighting fit sooner, score more points.

I also suspect that he's not as confident as he used to be. I have no doubt that when Casey Stoner retired, he saw his opportunity to be number one and finally claim that world championship. Then some punk named Marc Marquez came along and claimed the championship in his first year. That'd knock anybody's confidence.

Lorenzo is nowhere near as good a rider as marquez or stoner, not currently. Maybe he can mature and change, but he's just not at the same level.

Interestingly enough, Spies thinks that Stoner is a much better rider than Marquez...I'm inclined to agree, unless Marquez can hop bikes/manufacturers and wins a championship out of the gate.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Traction control also really helps manage power delivery when you're getting that much power out of an engine and running it lean as hell to get the fuel to last the race.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

BitcoinRockefeller posted:

The man with more wins then Marquez last year on a slightly inferior machine, no where close to the same level. He has sabotaged his championship hopes this year by being a big gay spanish baby about his tires not working the way he likes but these two first races have been the biggest mistakes he has made since 2009 when he cracked trying to keep up with Rossi

quote:

Season Class Motorcycle Team Race Win Podium Pole FLap Pts Plcd

Lorenzo posted:

2013 MotoGP Yamaha YZR-M1 Yamaha-YMR 17 8 14 4 2 330 2nd

Marquez posted:

2013 MotoGP Honda Repsol Honda 18 6 16 9 11 334 1st

Lorenzo might have better racecraft, but Marquez is unquestionably faster - 8 poles to Lorenzo's 4, and 11 fastest laps to Lorenzo's 2.
Lorenzo has been riding the M1 since 2011 - he's got experience, one of the better bikes on the grid, a known history with the bike, the team, his crew chief, etc. Marquez won in his rookie year on a bike he'd never ridden before, in a class he'd never ridden before, on a chassis he'd never ridden before, from a manufacturer he'd never ridden before, to be both the first rookie in 35 years to win a GP championship and the youngest GP champion ever. Over the last 4 years, he's won 3 championships (125, 250, MotoGP - all on different bikes), and taken second in one (Moto2). Since 08, Lorenzo's been 4th, 2nd, 1st, 2nd, 1st, 2nd, all in MotoGP, Lorenzo has never won a 125 championship, has 2 250 championships from 06, and has stuck with one manufacturer since the beginning of his time in GP.

Frankly, if you let Marquez run 4 years on the same team and chassis, I don't think anyone would be able to touch him until he decided he was done. Same with Stoner, if he hadn't sunk his own ship by thinking GP was all about riding motorcycles.

Basically, it shouldn't be possible for any rookie to win a GP, ever, much less set the majority of pole positions and fastest laps.

Lorzeno doesn't compare to Marquez. Stoner does, maybe, MAYBE, Bayliss could have (only wildcard to ever win a MotoGP), but there is no one out there like Marquez right now - he's insanely fast and only looks to be getting better.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

BitcoinRockefeller posted:

Bayliss was beaten by his teammate all three years he was in motogp so I don't even know how you can say he had some blazing speed that Lorenzo will never possess. There's a reason teams are so reticent to take superbike riders over 250/moto2 prospects, they've underperformed big time. And :spergin: Bayliss did not win as a wild card, he was a replacement for Sete Gibernau. :spergin:

We'll see how things go in the future because there is every possibility that Honda puts out a stinker of a bike like they had for the first few years of the 800 formula, or like Yamaha's from 2011 when they stopped development and Jorge rode it to 2nd in the championship despite being outclassed by Honda. Staying with the same manufacturer is no guarantee of anything and Lorenzo maybe needs to pull a Lewis Hamilton and switch when the right opportunity presents itself.

And obviously Marquez is an incredible talent. I have doubts about how long he's going to be able to maintain his riding style because eventually he's not going to bounce, and he's probably going to win this year unless he hurts himself, but I look forward to the next few years when there is less technical wizardry for fuel use and the Honda's advantage is blunted a little bit.

Yes, that's what a wildcard is - a stand in for an injured/absent rider? :confused:

The Ducati was a totally poo poo GP bike. Still is. Stoner and Bayliss are the only people to put that bike on the top step, ever, which is the only reason I'd put them in the same class, potentially.

The question is if Marquez is going to mature as a rider fast enough to crash less before he gets seriously injured. Also, I don't think Honda or Yamaha has a significant advantage - They pretty much fill the top 5 equally every year. Honda wins under Marquez and Stoner, and Yamaha wins under Lorenzo. When it comes to the aliens, they are the determiners of if the bike works, not the bike itself. Stoner somehow made the Ducati work, which no one else was ever able to do (except, of course, Bayliss).

Also something that made me lol on Bayliss's wiki page:

quote:

His right hand was momentarily caught under the motorcycle during the crash, and the injury required the eventual surgical removal of a testicle [3] and of the intermediate and distal phalanges of his little finger. Bayliss' injury prevented him from competing in the second Donington race. He finished the season fourth overall.

Basically, when Bayliss wasn't injured, he was a crazy good rider.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

n8r posted:

I thought they got rid of GPS stuff a few years ago and now do the corner by corner stuff via tracking the mileage or some other means. I think Bayliss winning the last race of 2006 was impressive but it shows how good the 2006 Ducati was not how good Bayliss was (he was a good superbike rider, no opinion on his GP performance). If Capirossi hadn't been tangled up in the crash with Gibernau he probablly wins the 2006 championship.

Has any other wildcard ever won a gp race? Gibernau never even got the thing on the top step.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Bayliss owns.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

This just reaffirms Stoner was the best rider to ever turn wheel on a modern GP bike. Pity he wasn't cut out for the politics.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Anyone who is interested should read stoner's autobiography. I wasn't sure what to expect but he does a really good job of addressing the politics, why he quit, etc, without soapboxing too hard. At his core he's a country kid who loves riding bikes and has no head for the politics of the motogp world. He kept thinking if he got fast enough he could transcend politics but ultimately motogp is a very political thing and you have to be able to handle that - he couldn't so he proved to himself he was the best and got the gently caress out cause he hated everything but riding the bike.

What nsap said too, though.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

darth cookie posted:

I don't know about that. If you win races then you have to go in for the after race interviews and I can't see how your manager can help you there if some hack asks a stupid question (or a hundred stupid questions over the course of the season). It's also kind of awkward if you want to skip out on signing autographs and stuff. More than likely, the manager would be pissing in your ear about making sure you were "marketable for the sponsors".

Hell even Kimi Raikkonen did Rexona ads and he's notorious for begging off for anything that isn't the racing part of his job.

Yup. He got really tired of people saying dumb poo poo.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Countersteering is clearly bullshit.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Those rotors look so loving fischer price. If it wasn't for the insane forks and calipers I would have guessed that was some jerkoff's first home brew carbon rotor attempt.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Club racing a few years back, the guy who was in second place protested the guy who's in first place front brake reservoir cap as not being stock, as per the (production) rules. This was after he had lost the last race, confirming he would place second. The protest was upheld, lead rider was given a one lap penalty, and the guy who finished second in the race won the championship as a result. Seems like the primary motivation was that he netted himself a pile of cash from his sponsors for snagging the #1 plate.

It's pretty much the same thing in MotoGP except times 1000. You protest because there are hundreds of thousands of dollars in sponsorship money now and in the future as a result of if your rider gets first or second. You're racing for 100ths out there on the track, and you better believe if people have a chance to win a world championship based on a cunning protest, they're going to do that. It's win at all costs both on and off the grid, and protests are a huge part of that. Also, protests define what the acceptable behavior is on track, although every year as things get down to the final race they're going to get more and more aggressive as it's not like they can really penalize them on future races.

Z3n fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Oct 27, 2014

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

nsaP posted:

Yeah but my point was that their odd protest seemed to be 'he was racing me'. Of course his team goes for the other on track action.

If it's at all questionable (ie, hard racing), then a protest is pretty much as a given.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

nsaP posted:

How is backing someone up by exiting a turn slowly anything close to hard racing or a violation of some rule?

You're not supposed to ride erratically/slow down randomly to block other riders. Letting off the throttle when you're normally on the gas to slow another rider down isn't allowed. That's why they reviewed the datalogging traces where they discovered his tire spun up and he modulated the throttle to get it back in line to verify he didn't intentionally go slow to block. This is one of those gray areas about racing and what is intentional, especially when it comes to slipstreaming and swerving across track to stop other racers from drafting you.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

There's a big difference between entering a corner on a slower entry line to throw off the people behind you, and shutting the throttle off when you're supposed to be pinned - this is what they're talking about with regards to intent on the link.

The easiest way to think about it is like this - if you're doing the opposite of what you should be doing at that point in the corner, it's probably protest worthy.

Z3n fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Oct 27, 2014

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Right - that's different though. Running a blocking line and getting everyone to bunch up is good racecraft in that situation. Getting on corner exit and then shutting off the throttle randomly to force the people behind you to swerve/slow down to avoid you is dangerous and lovely.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

nsaP posted:

Yeah but you make it sound like he shut the throttle halfway down the straight instead of slid a bit on the exit of the turn.

There's a shitload of trust in racing that the other guy isn't going to do something stupid - a little backing off the throttle might not seem like a big deal, but it's huge when you're a few feet off the guy's rear tire riding as fast as you possibly can. None of those guys retain any significant safety margin out there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Yeah just show him one of the documentaries - it'll help him understand what is going on and give some context that should make it more interesting.

• Locked thread